HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
girlballer

PostSubject: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:32 am

The draw is out for the upcoming Calgary Classic. All though most coaches don't put a lot of merit into this tournament, it is a good indication of what the landscape of Calgary basketball will look like.

First, big surprise that Ernest Manning got put into the "B" division. A team that made it to the provincial tournament last year doesn't crack the top 8 for the tournament even though they have 4 strong players coming back. I would think they will meet up against St. Mary's in the final and should win the "B" side.

The "A" side match-ups (quick break down)

#1 St Francis vs #8 Bishop Carroll - St Francis, drawing the top spot, some may disagree it should be Centennial but hard to argue why St. Francis is there. They should have no problem with Carroll.

#4 Aberhart vs #5 EP Scarlett - I'm going to give the edge to Aberhart on this one simply because of coaching this early in the season. Both teams are strong but I believe Aberhart will be up and running on some of their systems early and should get by Scarlett. On a side note, rumor is one of Abe's starters from last year (Laura) has decided not to play basketball and concentrate on Volleyball, this may have an impact later in the season if it's true.

#2 Centennial vs #7 Churchill - Centennial should win this game without any trouble and advance to semi-finals

#3 Bishop Grandin vs #6 Western - Probably the most interesting first round match up of the tournament. All though Bishop Grandin probably has more talent and has a deeper bench, as I've said previously, Western will upset a few teams this year and this could be the first one. If I had to bet, I'd still give it to Grandin. Western is young and needs more experience.

Final match-up prediction: Centennial vs St. Francis and the winner will be... I don't know. I'll guess St. Francis but either side wouldn't surprise me.

I would like to re-iterate, I know the majority of coaches don't put a lot of value in the tournament and use this opportunity to get to know their team better and start working on things but hey.... the tournament is being played (barring another snow storm) so why no have a little fun and make some predictions.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Division 1 Rankings-Breakdown   Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Intangibles rankings for the top 9 teams:

Team speed: 1. Centennial, 2. Abe 3. Scarlett
Agressiveness: 1. Western, 2. Grandin 3. Abe
Coaching: 1. Churchill, 2 Western 3. Abe
Outside shooting: 1. Centennial, 2. Manning, 3. Francis
Team Cohesiveness: 1. Carroll, 2. Thirsk, 3. Western
Experience: 1. Centennial 2. Manning 3. Scarlett
Team Gear (prediction): 1. Western 2. Centennial 3. Churchill
Entered the best tournaments:1. Abe 2. Western 3. Centennial
Most committed: 1. Western 2. Carroll 3. Centennial
Best Bench & depth 1. Francis 2. Western 3. Grandin

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52 pm

Brick, very interesting breakdown. I'm wondering how you came up with some of your rankings slash information,not to argue but am wondering.

Intangibles rankings for the top 9 teams:

Team speed: 1. Centennial, 2. Abe 3. Scarlett (Dont know enough players to argue)

Agressiveness: 1. Western, 2. Grandin 3. Abe (Will all these teams press?)

Coaching: 1. Churchill, 2 Western 3. Abe (Top three coaches in city, really could go in any order.... all well respected)

Team Cohesiveness: 1. Carroll, 2. Thirsk, 3. Western (how do you judge this without being a member of the team)

Experience: 1. Centennial 2. Manning 3. Scarlett (Both Manning and Scarlett have lost a TON of experienced players, i guess it all depends on what you mean by "experience" and at what level)

Team Gear (prediction): 1. Western 2. Centennial 3. Churchill (Didnt know this was a factor, Western and Abe always seem to look like a team...... is that what you mean?)

Entered the best tournaments:1. Abe 2. Western 3. Centennial (Do you know what tournaments everyone is in, is it posted online?)

Most committed: 1. Western 2. Carroll 3. Centennial (This is a tough one to judge until you get to know the player)

Best Bench & depth 1. Francis 2. Western 3. Grandin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:03 pm

I basically used conversations, observations, and last year's performances to make my predictions. Just like your predications above, sometimes you just need to go with your gut. Once the season starts, I might revisit these team dynamic rankings.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Team speed: 1. Centennial, 2. Abe 3. Scarlett (Dont know enough players to argue) (Megan and Keira are probably the two quickest players to guard in the city)

Agressiveness: 1. Western, 2. Grandin 3. Abe (Will all these teams press?) (Emma H. and Marina are the toughest players in the city)

Coaching: 1. Churchill, 2 Western 3. Abe (Top three coaches in city, really could go in any order.... all well respected) (3 of the most if not most experienced Div. 1 coaches)

Team Cohesiveness: 1. Carroll, 2. Thirsk, 3. Western (how do you judge this without being a member of the team) (last year some teams struggled with things like partying at tournaments, internal fighting etc. The leaders on Bishop Carroll are probably the most mature and easiest players to play with in the city.)

Experience: 1. Centennial 2. Manning 3. Scarlett (Both Manning and Scarlett have lost a TON of experienced players, i guess it all depends on what you mean by "experience" and at what level)

Team Gear (prediction): 1. Western 2. Centennial 3. Churchill (Didnt know this was a factor, Western and Abe always seem to look like a team...... is that what you mean?) (Western and Abe had sweet adidas backpacks last year. The word on the street is that Western is getting Nike Elite bags this season. I love those backpacks)

Entered the best tournaments:1. Abe 2. Western 3. Centennial (Do you know what tournaments everyone is in, is it posted online?) (some of the draws are out like REB @ Jasper Place, Abe & Western are both there. Centennial runs the wicked "Howler" tournament.)

Most committed: 1. Western 2. Carroll 3. Centennial (This is a tough one to judge until you get to know the player) (some schools run casual shoot-arounds at 7:15am in the morning. Anyone who can wake up for that are committed).

Best Bench & depth 1. Francis 2. Western 3. Grandin (Francis has unbelievable depth and quality players)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:26 am

Interesting views from Brick...

On a side note, rumor has it that Megan Ahlstrom from Centennial has committed to the University of Sask. If that's the case, a big congratulations to one of our Calgary girls to signing with a great program. She's a great player and has really developed over the years. Coaches and players should congratulated her when they see her. I think we should be seeing a few more commitments before the season is done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:12 pm

Brick I'm interested to hear how you think the a draw will go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:09 pm

I love Brick!

SAIT Tournament link up on SAIT site, but as a new user I am not allowed to post it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Yeller

PostSubject: Predictions   Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:03 am

Here is my shot at the classic:

Francis over Carrol
Aberhart over Scarlett

Centennial over Churchilll
Western over Grandin

Aberhart over Francis
Centennial over Western

Aberhart over Centennial
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:54 am

Brick - Interesting thoughts and rankings. You clearly know the CBA players, and program, well. It'll be interesting to see how the tournament unfolds.

I must agree that Western is going to win some games in the tournament and in the season as everyone on the western team plays for CBA. I predict them being the team to beat in 2017.

As for the tournament here is my stab at it.

Rd 1:

Francis over BC by a lot

Abe over Scarlett by 15

Centennial over Churchill by a lot (Churchill should be in the "B" draw and Manning in the "A")

Western over Grandin by 7 (With so many players in club they will be ready to play)

Rd 2:

Abe over Francis by 4 (I know I'll be challenged for this so I'll explain. I think Francis has more depth but I hear they have early injuries to key players. I also agree with a comment made earlier Abe's coach will have them ready to play in the short time. I think Francis will win cities but this early I take Abe)

Western over Centennial (Same reason as above, Western will be ready to play and Centennial doesn't have the talent as in years past.

Final:

Abe over Western by 7 (I don't think western wins the tournament but I think they leave with the #2 ranking in Calgary)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:24 pm

I think all of this love for Western is getting a bit out of hand. They will have a nice young team, but they are ranked 6th for a reason - at least 5 teams are better than them. In fact, a good argument can be made that Manning should be considered better than Western as well.

Francis is a complete team (good guards, good wing defenders, and lots of size) and is very deep. I don't know anything about the injuries mentioned by Basketballcalgary and I suppose I could change my view if they were significant enough. Francis will beat Carroll easily. If Abe beats Scarlett it will only be because they are more ready at this point in the season and turn the game into a track meet. Scarlett has talented bigs who should own Abe inside. Either Abe or Scarlett will get smoked by Francis.

On the other side, Centennial will beat Churchill easily. I agree that Western and Grandin will be an interesting game, but Grandin is older and more talented and should win. Centennial will beat either Grandin or Western, but could struggle due to lack of depth if its best players are in foul trouble or do not bring their "A" game.

Francis will beat Centennial unless Centennial shoots the lights out from 3 (which is possible). I expect Francis to win by 15.

In the initial ASAA rankings, Francis will likely be the #2 team in the province after SACHS. Centennial should be ranked 4-6. One of Abe, Scarlett, or Grandin will sneak into the bottom of the top 10. The other two plus Western and Manning have a shot at HM depending on early results.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Interesting, Old yeller and Calgary basketball & Ron:

Food for thought:

1. Western: I think by the end of the year and possibly earlier (two a day practices I hear) that Western could be the scary team with all the club players and the new huge post that played Jr. Dinos last year. The big question is experience. We have all seen before that grade 10s can struggle against grade 12 players. Can their ball handling guards handle pressure. That is the big question.

2. Abe: The biggest concern with this team is depth. With losing a starter, if they have foul trouble or an injury they might not have the depth to fill in. If their coach can develop the athletic grade 11s on the team to play their roles, they could be ok. Abe always starts strong but fades as teams figure out how to defeat their systems. Abe will have a lot of problems scoring in a half court game.

3. Centennial may also struggle with depth, but their starters will be hard to handle. They will have some outside shooting and slashers. The biggest question here is how will the coaching change effect their program. It may affect them early.

4. Francis-They also have a coaching change, but they have so much depth. Yes, I have heard that they will be miss some starter for the beginning of the tip of tournament, so it will be interesting to see how they compete. This team has it all...outside game, bigs, but my question is whether their grade 11 guards can handle the pressure. Their twins should be able to. I think conditioning and finishing strong will be their weakness. They will come out hard in games and fade...teams need to keep the game close in the first half with this team.

5. Scarlett: the biggest question here is their guards....can they handle pressure? They have one of the best players if not the best player in Hilary, but can she do it all. The other big question is coaching. I am not sure if the junior and senior coaches ended up switching? If they did, it will be interesting to see how they handle that coaching change.

6. Grandin- Their grade 11s who lost in the city finals will kick start this team. If the grade 12s can step up and play consistent that will help them. Playing like a team and getting along will be key for this squad. If the 11s and 12s are not on the same page, it will affect their team play.

7. Ernest Manning-Biggest issue is coaching. The school has put no interest in putting good coaching in place. They have solid starting five. They will use this as locker room material and will be the "underdog" team for the season. The only thing holding them back will be maybe coaching & how much the team plays for each other. Will they be united?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:47 pm

I'm excited that we are talking about Girls basketball on this forum. After reading all the predictions, all though there are some great points, I'm still going to keep with my predictions for this upcoming Calgary Classic tourny.

Centennial vs St. Francis in the final

Exciting year ahead and I think this could be a repeat of last year where there could be 5-6 teams that can earn a spot in that City Final.

Good luck to all the coaches and players. I'll post again after round 1 of the classic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Team Alberta Players & Junior Dinos=Championship!   Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:27 am

If an NBA roster had mutiple Team USA players, they are considered a top 1 or 2 team in the NBA. With that thinking in mind, the Calgary school with the most Team Alberta players should be the most dominant high school team this season. Lets take a look at the top the top teams based on Team Alberta players & Jr. Dinos in brackets:

St. Francis: Francis has traditionally not moved juniors up to seniors. Summer M.(Jr. Dinos) and it is my understanding that Reyna C. has transferred in from Henry Wisewood. Correct me if I wrong. Is that really fair to add her to an already deep roster?

Western Canada: Claire F. and Jessica C. are the two Team Alberta representives. Western also has a Junior Dinos post, but I can't remember her name.

Churchill: Carly M. (Jr. Dinos) is the representative here.

Centennial: Probably the most dominant team alberta player in Calgary is Megan A (Jr. Dinos). She is quick and it was my understanding that she was a first team all star at Nationals this past summer. She has currently signed with UofS as someone already mentioned in this thread.

William Aberhart: Erin M. (Jr. Dinos) leads the Orange into battle this year. She repersents Team Alberta on Aberhart.

Remaining players that I think are playing juniors and or in charter/private schools: Janna K.., Danya O. , Chiso W., Erik O. (juniors) Larietta (juniors).

So the five teams who will be leading the way with Team Alberta and Jr. Dino representation:
1. Western (3 players)
2. Francis (2 ) -need someone to confirm Reyna C.
2. Churchill, Centennial, and Aberhart all with 1.

"What you are as a person is far more important than what you are as a basketball player." John Wooden

Last edited by brick on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Brick, I think that focussing on BA and Jr. Dino players misses a big part of the picture. There are lots of impact players that are not in those programs. Also, not all BA/Jr. Dino players are equal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Have to agree, there is a lot of players who could play BA and or Dinos that don't for a number of reasons.
Plus in high school having 1 or 2 BA or Dinos player doesn't mean winning.

I think coaching plays a big part in high school basketball. Western has club players and coaching which is why I think they will win games in the basketball classic. Same with Abe, they might not have depth but im sure the coach will get the best out of the group as he always does. Francis has all the players and on paper should win the basketball classic and cities.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBALL247

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:06 pm

It's great to see all the insight and thoughts being shared….

Brick you might have missed a few players from your list that played BA/Jr.Dinos.... I do however see the point that you're trying to make. In theory shouldn't the school's that have the most BA/Jr Dions players have the most talented and successful programs? I understand that not all players are equal, someone like a Megan.A is a step ahead of the other players in the city(for the most part). With that being said BA/Jr.Dinos players get high level training from University and College coaches. Shouldn't this training propel BA/Jr.Dinos players ahead of the rest of the pack? Isn't that the reason a player would pick to play BA/Jr.Dions instead of club? So they can get a higher level training then the rest of the girls in the city/province. Doesn't BA/Jr.Dinos Brand themselves as the best of the best ?

I don't know a whole lot about the about the club/provincial scene in Calgary. I am just basing my questions on opinions from others that have been shared with me. So I am really curious to see what everyone else has to say about this…. Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:49 pm

BBALL247 wrote:
It's great to see all the insight and thoughts being shared….

Brick you might have missed a few players from your list that played BA/Jr.Dinos.... I do however see the point that you're trying to make. In theory shouldn't the school's that have the most BA/Jr Dions players have the most talented and successful programs? I understand that not all players are equal, someone like a Megan.A is a step ahead of the other players in the city(for the most part). With that being said BA/Jr.Dinos players get high level training from University and College coaches. Shouldn't this training propel BA/Jr.Dinos players ahead of the rest of the pack? Isn't that the reason a player would pick to play BA/Jr.Dions instead of club? So they can get a higher level training then the rest of the girls in the city/province. Doesn't BA/Jr.Dinos Brand themselves as the best of the best ?

I don't know a whole lot about the about the club/provincial scene in Calgary. I am just basing my questions on opinions from others that have been shared with me. So I am really curious to see what everyone else has to say about this…. Basketball

Lots of questions in there. For starters, BA and Jr. Dinos are different even though some of the players and coaches overlap. BA has been around for a long time and it draws some (but not always all) of the best players from across the province to play against other provinces in the National Championships. Jr. Dinos are new and are trying to scoop the best players around the Calgary region for their u17 team that plays in the Prairie Elite Basketball League (PEBL).

Coaching at BA is good and is one reason to play, but the biggest reasons to play are to test yourself against the best players in the rest of the country and to get exposed to Basketball Canada and/or CIS coaches from outside your local region. It is hard to say if BA gives players a leg up in high school ball as it is a short stint (6 weeks or so) during a very long basketball career.

Jr. Dinos are trying to set up as an elite alternative to the clubs with professional coaches. In their first year, they attracted a lot of top talent. It is not clear that they will have as much success every year. My guess is that next Spring the Dinos will not be as strong as CBA's top u17 team. Many kids have deep commitments to clubs and friends that will make it hard for Dinos to get them to move. Also, you can expect the clubs to improve the level of their coaching to make it more attractive for players to stay. Long-term, it is not clear to me that Dinos will succeed in pulling players away from the clubs. It will be interesting to see how committed they are to their program and whether kids in that program actually graduate to the university program.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:32 pm

Bball 247, correct, I was just trying to make a point that these players who have made these elite programs are going to benefit their high school teams they are playing for. If Centennial lost Megan A., it completely changes their team. The same goes for Erin M and Aberhart. Francis probably has the depth if they were to lose Summer. Emma K., the twins, etc. These Alberta & Jr. Dinos players (Ron, correct, there is a lot of cross over partly with the Coach Adams connection) must be doing something right and they are all great players. I posted the intangibles post earlier to emphasize the importance of some other factors.
Ron, I think the players on the Jr. Dino's would probably have their way with the other club programs such as Foundations, CBA, Red Jackets, Outwest, Suns, and Storm. There are some pretty decent players with the Dinos, being coached by some solid coaches: Damien and Catherine. I also like the job that Team Alberta coaches are doing with their defensive instruction. They have great training camps and there is nothing more special than pulling on your province's colors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBALL247

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks for the insight Ron,

It sounds like BA is a great opportunity for some players to really show of their skill set. However I might be concerned if I was one of the bench/role players on the BA team. Looking at the structure of the national championships and seeing that it is only five-six games per team, how much exposure/competition would a bench/role player really be getting?
Its already has been stated in pervious comments that players playing BA are not getting a whole lot better in a six week period. I totality agree with that by the way, I think the greatest coach in the world would struggle to make huge impact on players actually skill development in such a shot time frame. Especially when the coach is forced to prepare the team for games a competition in this time, and not just skill development. I hear BA coaches have a lot pressure put on them to win and place high at nationals.
From what I have heard the BA team model seems a little broken. Now sure if you are the number one or two player in the province, I am sure it's a great opportunity to be seen and play against top competition. However, if I am role/bench player who is not playing a lot, maybe BA is not my best avenue. I could see why a player would love to play BA and put on the provincial jersey and say "I played BA". I could also see how good players would want to stay with a club that runs year round.

Ron, I am curious to what you mean by clubs are going to improve their coaching. Do you just mean club programs are doing more coaches development type things, or are they actually bringing in high level coaches. I think it would pretty hard for a club to bring in a university level coach, at least a current one anyway…..Also it sounds like you think the Jr.Dinos might have trouble putting together a team this spring? Will CBA have a majority of Calgary's top high school players this spring?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:48 pm

BBALL247, you have hit on some good points. I will try and answer your questions.

There is a risk that anytime a coach plays to win above all else, bench players will not get opportunities. That happens all the time in High School and University. However, as a parent choosing a club or summer basketball experience for a child (and paying lots of money) it is important to put him or her in a situation where they will get opportunities to develop and grow their love of the game. You don't want to choose a situation where they will get inadequate skill development, play in a system where they won't get to touch the ball, or rot on the bench. I think that some BA coaches try to play everyone a reasonable amount until they get to Nationals when they will go with their best players. I have heard complaints about others who are said to chose their top 7 or 8 and ride with them the whole season. I have some sympathy for BA coaches who play their best players to win at Nationals, but I have very little patience with club coaches who do the same thing in low stakes Spring tournaments to the detriment of half of their players (we all know the coaches that do that sort of thing). My view is that whether you are choosing a club or deciding whether or not to play BA, to make an informed decision you need to know the coach's philosophy on using players and where your child is likely to stand in the pecking order.

The problem that BA has that makes this more of an issue is that the 10th, 11th, and 12th players on the bench are often the best player in their club or their high school team. They are not used to riding the pine and are rarely happy about it. In most cases, those players would have been better off playing for a club where they would have been on the floor contributing.

On the coaching improvement side, I think that the clubs are doing more coach development and are recruiting better coaches. Several clubs have also hired Shawnee Harle for multiple skill development sessions. I see this trend continuing and narrowing the perceived gap in quality of coaching.

Dinos will have no trouble putting together a team this Spring and there is no question that they will have some good players. However, I think that the situation that they had this year when they had a lock on the top talent in the City (Chiso, Megan, Erin, etc.) and would have dominated the club competition (had they played clubs) will not be the case every year. As for your question about CBA this year, I don't think that it is any secret that their cohort of 1998 born players is very strong and has played together for many years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:50 pm

Real interesting info on Calgary teams. Find it hard to believe that Francis can rise from , not even being on the provincial radar to number 1 in calgary this year. I would think Centennial would still be the favourite . Where is Bishop O'byrne and St. Marys in all of this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Southfan,
It looks like St. Mary's and BOB will be middle feeders this year. St. Mary's was ranked 11th and BOB 15th by the High School coaches. People will be focused on shutting down the Calgary Storm "dynamos": Alexa T. and Cole L. on St. Mary's. They may have moved up a a couple of grade 10 players like Tia. BOB will be playing in division 2 this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Southfan:  Just for clarification on St. Francis, they had a POWERHOUSE Junior team last year with 5 great players.  Now that they've moved up, they are joining 5 returnees from last year's Senior team (2 of those returnees were starters).  They will most likely be the "biggest" team in Calgary with 3 girls 6' feet tall who can play including Summer M who played U17 BA last year as a Grade 10 and also played Junior Dino's.  I have them as a top team in Calgary.  They may not start off strong but by the end of the season they should be a major contender.  If they had a weakness it would be the guard position.  That's not to say they have bad guards, just that is were they are probably the weakest.  Hope that helps a little to clarify why there is a buzz around St. Francis this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Keep in mind that Francis does not allow grade 10's to play on the senior team. Last year a large number of the top grade 10's played on the schools senior team. I think Francis would have still won cities but I dont think they would be labled a "powerhouse" if all schools didnt allow grade 10's to play senior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Today at 8:53 pm

Back to top Go down

Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next