HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:26 am

Basketballcalgary, I do agree that not all schools let you play up in Grade 10 however looking at the Grade 10 players that did play up last year (Western-4, Scarlett-1, Aberhart-1, St Mary's-1, Manning-1) I don't think the result would have changed and St. Francis still would have been crowned the Jr Girls Division 1 Champions. With that said, there is a reason the powers that be placed them Number 1 going into this season. I don't believe it was because of the returning Seniors from the St. Francis team but more because of the Junior's who are coming up. I don't see any other explanation for it. With that said, all things being equal, the reality is that last year St. Francis was a powerhouse Jr team based on their results (they can't control what other programs do). They lost 1 game last year by a point. It's going to be fun watching the results of next week's tournament. I feel like we should have our own 1 hour time slot on the Fan 960 so we can discuss and debate all these things, the problem with that idea is I think we'll be the only ones that actually listen to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Yeller

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:34 am

Leading up to a big week in Calgary basketball Western beat Churchill this past weekend 97-27. Might shake up the perspective before the classic starts!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBALL247

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:50 pm

I'll return back to the topic at hand and make predictions for the upcoming Calgary Classic

First round
1. St.F over 8 BC

4.WA over 5.EPS

2.Cen over 7. SWC

6.WC over 3.BG

Second Round Semi Finals
1.St.F over 4. WA

6.WC over 2. Cen

Second Round Consolation
5.EPS over 8.BC

3.BG over 7.SWC

7th Place Game

7.SWC over 8.BC

Consolation Final

3.BG over 5.EPS

3rd Place Game

2.Cen over 4.WA

Final

1.St.F over 6.WC
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 am

I think the WC vs SWC score tells a lot. I do think they will get past Grandin but i dont see them getting past Centennial, i do think it'll be close. I think the coaching change at centennial will hurt them more than people think. Also keep in mind SWC is very weak this year, not the team of years past. not to take anything away as a 70 point win is impressive. It'll be interestiong to see what centennial beats churchill by tonight.

Has Abe, scarlett, BC, or anyother teams played games yet??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:15 pm

BasketballCalgary - predicted all 4 results
BBall247 - predicted all 4 results
Girlballer - predicted 3 of 4 (picked Grandin over Western)
Oldyeller - predicted all 4 results

St. Francis vs Aberhart
Girlballer and ball247 pick St. Francis
Oldyeller and basketballcalgary pick Aberhart

Western vs Centennial
girlballer & oldyeller pick Centennial
basketballcalgary & bball247 pick Western

Anyone want to make any changes Smile

Brick seems to have a lot of knowledge and insight but I reviewed this forum and Brick hasn't shared his thoughts on who is going to win...

On the other side I see Scarlett and Grandin in the final with Scarlett winning consolation.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: 2nd Round Predictions   Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:19 pm

First, lets congratulate all the teams on their compete level in their first games of the season. Even though there were some blow outs, it is early in the season and coaches still have lots of time to work on some things. Based on conversations with people in all the gyms yesterday, it appeared that poor conditioning was a common theme. That will work its way out as coaches have more time to train their athletes. With this in mind, keeping  basketball athletes "fresh" will be a key moving forward in this tournament. Subbing skill comes really into play this early in the season.

As per girlballer's request, here are my predictions starting at the top of the draw moving down:

St. Francis over Abe-It will be interesting to see how Aberhart addresses Francis's size, rebounding, and depth. St. Francis will be able to roll their lines with minimal drop off. The fascinating tid bit from this game is how well will St. Francis will handle pressure.....maybe a template on how to play St. Francis this season will come from this game.

Western over Centennial-This will also be an interesting match up with the "young guns" of Western Canada continuing to play well. If Western can contain Megan A. then they will win. If Megan is allowed to "go off" for 20+ points, then they will pull out the win over the Redhawks.

Scarlett over Carroll -I wouldn't be shocked if Carroll pulls off the upset here, but do they have an answer for their sophomore star, Hilary? I guess we'll see on Thursday night.

Grandin over Churchill-Grandin will cruise to victory in the game and they have a bitter taste in their mouths after that huge loss to Western at home last night.

In the B division, the Springbank vs. Manning game will be fascinating tonight. Thirsk put up a huge win over Pearson last night, but Pearson must be pretty weak. Watch out for dark horse Rundle College as it would not be shocking if they reach the finals.

Brick out..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:45 pm

I think if there is a team that can knock off Francis this early in the season it'll be Abe and will be because of pressure. Abe needs to handle the size that Francis brings but im curious to see if Francis has the guards to handle good full court pressing. Francis should win but if Abe pulls it off dont be surprised. Will all depnds on the style of game played i guess.

Western and Centennial is another interesting game. Centennial has the better players but Western has the depth. No stars on western just a bunch of basketball players. On paper Centennial should win but i like Westerns chances, especially this early in the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Yeller

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:52 pm

I will stick with my predictions, but I think both games could go either way. These 4 teams and Scarlett are clearly the top 5 in Calgary to start the season. Should be some good semifinals this Thursday!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
yycbballfan

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:43 pm

Winning Formula =Talent + Teamwork = Success = City Champion and Provincial Champion

Legendary Boston Celtics basketball Coach Red Auerbach once remarked "Some people believe you win with the five best players, but I found out that you win with the five who fit together best." While talent is definitely important to be successful, the most talented team on paper does not always win the tournament or championship.

Talent without teamwork is trouble. I have seen too many teams who had great talent, yet were unable to play to their potential because of selfishness, jealousies, conflict and players who were unable to accept their roles. Likewise I have seen teams with solid but not superior talent, rise to a championship level because of teamwork. Thus, teamwork becomes a sort of "wild card" factor whether you have great or average talent.

In working with many programs across a variety of sports and levels, I have discovered seven important factors that distinguish championship teams. It is these seven areas that I seek to improve when I consult with teams and that you as a coach must continually monitor. As you read the description of the Seven "C's" of Championship Team Building, take a moment to assess how well your team is doing on each of the characteristics?????

Seven "C's" of Championship Team Building

1. Common Goal

Championship teams have a singular, common focus. Obviously, for many teams the common goal is to win the conference and/or national championship. This is the team's primary, specified, overt goal and all other goals revolve around it. This goal is firmly embraced by all members of the team, coaching staff and support staff. Everyone understands that this is the direction and destination that the team is moving toward. The players understand that their individuals goals must fit within the framework of the team's goal.

2. Commitment

While some seasons may start with the entire team focused on a common goal, rarely do they end up that way. Commitment is probably the single most important factor that differentiates championship teams, coaches, athletes, businesses, schools, marriages (you name it) from the mediocre. It's much too easy to say you want to win the championship and its a whole other thing to put in the blood, sweat, and tears necessary to pursue a championship - especially when obstacles and adversity strike. Continual commitment to the team's common goal is one of the toughest areas of team building. Championship teams buy into the mission at every level and make the mission their own. The players and coaches work hard and pay their dues because they want to, not because they have to. In addition to their commitment, the team members feel a sense of personal and group accountability. The players have a clear understanding of how their individual choices and decisions influence the collective psyche and success of the team. There is a true sense that if an player is slacking off, she is not just hurting herself but her entire team. The players feel a sense of responsibility and obligation to give it their best.

3. Complementary Roles

Championship teams are comprised of several individuals who willingly take pride in a playing a variety of roles. These roles, when played in concert and harmony lead to team success. Thus, each player is assigned specific positions and responsibilities that help determine the entire team's success. While individually they are not solely responsible for the team's success or failure, collectively each role forms a synergistic whole that is greater than the sum of its parts.

The major difficulties in developing complementary roles is that some roles get more attention and praise thereby making them seem more important. Championship teams however realize that all roles are critical to the overall team's success and willingly accept and value their individual roles.

4. Clear Communication

A fourth characteristic of championship teams is clear communication. Successful teams communicate successfully both on and off the field. The on field communication helps them perform more efficiently and effectively. Players must communicate signs, the number of outs, where to throw the ball and call fly balls to perform successfully. Off the field, players need to continually monitor the team's effectiveness, modify things when necessary, and celebrate successes.

5. Constructive Conflict

Along with effective communication, championship teams have the ability to keep conflict under control. Often, coaches and players are able to use conflict constructively to further develop and strengthen the team. It is not that championship teams never experience conflict, because this is impossible. Instead they are able to handle the conflict they experience and do not let it interfere with the team's common goal. Championship coaches and players make sure that their common goal always takes precedence over any conflict.

6. Cohesion

A sixth characteristic shared by many championship teams is that they genuinely like and respect each other. The players like to spend time with each other outside of scheduled practice and game times. They find reasons to stay together like going to the movies, studying, hanging out, etc. This is not to say that every single player is a part of the group, but that a majority of players tend to socialize together. While it is not absolutely necessary, cohesion is a factor that often will help your team perform at a higher level.

7. Credible Coaching

Finally, it takes a credible coach to develop, orchestrate, and monitor all the other "C's" of Championship Team Building. You as a coach play a critical role in helping the team arrive at a common goal, monitoring and maintaining your players' commitment, assigning and appreciating roles, communicating with the team, keeping conflict under control, and promoting your team's chemistry and cohesion. The team must have a leader who they believe in and has the skills necessary to get the most from the team. A credible coach creates an effective environment that allows the team to perform to their full potential.

Now think about each team and how they fit this criteria? It is way too early in the season to know, the above stated elements will pave the way for who will be the Champion this year.

A few thoughts for consideration as it relates to basketball policies in the province...

Do all schools in Calgary or Alberta follow the same rules?

Calgary High Schools need to have consistent policies in place:

Junior players allowed to play Senior sports. Some schools do and some don't - Simple fix... make the policy mandatory one way or the other so it is clear for all schools to follow. This issue can significantly shift the pool of talent one way or the other.
Perhaps there should be separate Divisions based on this criteria so the teams would be balanced and play by the same criteria...

Also how many junior athletes from one team should be allowed to play up? simple fix - make a policy so it is clear for all schools to follow and if rules are not followed there needs to be a school consequence.
Example: This season a high school has 5 junior players that are all club players on the senior team - should this be considered an unfair advantage when there are other schools that do not allow junior players to play up? Does the school administration not get involved to ensure the school is not seen unfavorably by other school administrators?

Do all schools respect and conform to specific boundary rules or are their teams that have players that have been approved to come to a school to play a sport and live outside the designated boundaries? This issue again can shift the pool of talent to have an advantage over other schools that follow these rules.

Food for thought - would be interested to get anyone's feed back?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:41 pm

There is no good purpose in holding players back in JV if they are ready for Varsity. A policy that requires kids to play JV is contrary to player development. Kids in grade 9 in BC and Ontario are in high school and can play senior if they are good enough. SACHS and other Edmonton area teams do this as well with their grade 10s. The best players belong in senior and bringing the best jv players up will make senior ball better. Calgary has been a backwater on this and the current changes are positive.

Your example of 5 jv players on one team this year doesn't exist. The most is at Western but they only have four jv players playing up and only three of them are from a single club. And from what I hear none of them are starting.

Francis over Abe; Centennial over Western.
Francis over Centennial.

Stay Classy Calgary.

Ron Burgundy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Jeff Janssen   Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:34 am

YYC, lets give some credit to the author of your random post, haha:

Jeff Janssen, Championship Team building

http://www.janssensportsleadership.com/resources/team-building/

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Way to copy and paste! I think we all know where to find the book and or how to google it!

Exciting games tonight, anyone want to change their picks??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:17 pm

On the subject of grade 10's playing Sr. Varsity - In Edmonton and area it has traditionally been left up to individual high schools. At SACHS we have always brought up grade 10's who we feel will get playing time as all the arguments listed regarding benefits do exist. Other considerations that are huge at our school is who is coaching our junior program. We have been very lucky to have TJ Wallsten the last 3 years - a former GMAC player and has coached @ college level, club etc. We have not been so lucky in the past (often just a staff volunteer who may never have played) so any player wanting to play at the next level was brought up (this existed when I coached Sr. Boys @ SACHS as well). We are a small school and did not make any cuts - kids that are serious about playing tried out for senior (there were 12 - we kept them all, 4 grade 10's). Kids that in some cases didn't make their junior high team or simply want to play and have some fun OR love to hang with TJ!! tried out for juniors - kept all 10. To have a blanket policy of "no grade 10's" is ridiculous - I know Aimee Wilson was the first grade 10 taken at Western. The year before they had Izzy (Cadet National team), Maddie Rogers (prove u15), Susan Thompson (prove U15) and a few others playing on the junior team - how is that beneficial to anyone?? Are mistakes made (keeping someone who ends up not playing much..) - of course, but I think with good communication and some homework done about players coming through your program - a coach should have the right to make the decision. Years ago Phil Scherer (played U19 national team, Provincial teams, U of A starting PG) was supposed to play Jr. @ PK until the right decision was made..
I look forward to the scores in Calgary.. We played St. Francis at provincials and their junior team line was tough - many of them played club/prov team. We also played Centennial and I think they return far more than they lost - plus Megan was best player on Bronze U17 team (signed with SASK). Aberhart got a transfer in Renya Crawford I believe (U17 prove team) so talent upgrade there...
In Edmonton, a lot of the tier 1 teams are very young (speaking of taking grade 10's). Bev Facey took 6, JP has 4 (I believe), Scona (4-5), SACHS (4).. so very interesting.. We played Bev Facey (who beat FX/Leduc) in ST. FX finals - won by a lot, also beat JP who will be very good by years end. Spruce Grove has yet to play (does so this weekend at Totem Classic @ Ross Shep) as does PK. Ainley might be in BC (they often go around this time). I still believe that top 4 are: Spruce, HA, PK and SACHS - followed quickly by JP, Scona and some of the others who will go as far and as fast as their grade 10's develop.
Have a great start to the season!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:04 pm

JDeeds,
Thanks for the update from Edmonton. One correction in your post related to "Aberhart got a transfer in Renya Crawford I believe (U17 prove team) so talent upgrade there...". She ended up as a transfer to St. Francis, so the strong just got stronger.  According to the draw on Jasper Place's web site,  Western opens with JP and Aberhart opens with Paul Kane. It will be interesting to see how those two Calgary schools do against the top Edmonton schools.

Last edited by brick on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:03 pm

YYCbballfan - not sure about that whole copy and paste thing. I see you're new to Hooplife when it comes to posting things, but if you want to change topics that drastically, I suggest you start a "NEW TOPIC" which I've done to discuss Grade 10's playing up.

JDeeds - great response to YYC, glad to see you weighing in.

Burgandy - thanks for clearing that up, I agree with your perspective on Grade 10's AND your prediction for the rest of the Calgary Classic tournament

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Results...   Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Here are some thoughts and comments about last night's games and todays and tomorrow's games:

- Rundle College defeats Ernest Manning. Rundle College looks to be the real deal after knocking off two teams that will be competing in the Div. 1 league this year. Too bad RC has to play in such a sup-par league for their regular seasongames this year. A bit surprising that EM was bumped to div 2 for this tournament, but they failed to reach the Div. 2 final.

- St. Mary's defeats Thirsk by 37. Things looked up for Thirsk after pounding on Pearson in the first game, but it looks more and more like Thirsk may have a long season in Div. 1 Sr. Women's play. Looks like St. Mary's will be able to compete in Div. 1 this season.

-FINALS DIV 2-RC and St. Mary's will have great final. Slight edge to RC in the finals

-St. Francis vs. Aberhart-it is looking more and more like St. Francis is the team to beat in Calgary. It looks like they passed the "pressure" test from Abe and are rolling on all cylinders. Rebounding, height, ball handlers, shooting....it looks like Francis can do it all.

-Western vs. Centennial-close game here with a 3 point victory for the Coyotes. It sounds like Centennial was in control most of the way, but Western wore them down and almost pulled off a twenty point swing in the 4th quarter.  

-FINALS DIV 1-St. Francis over Centennial. If Francis takes away the slashing of Centennial with their bigs, Centennial will turn to their outside shooters to keep the game close. Francis wins by 10-15 pts.

-Bronze medal game: Western vs. Aberhart. An early season game with little or low meaning but it will be interesting to see how the two teams match up this early in the season. Does Aberhart have the depth to hang with Western. At this point of the season, no. Western wins by 8-12 pts.

-Churchill vs. Carroll-This should be a good game with a slight edge to Carroll. They have a bit more depth.

-Scarlett vs. Grandin-Grandin comes away with the Consolation Championship this this game.

Brick out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:32 pm

Francis is the #1 team in Calgary and could by years end be a strong contender for #1 in Alberta. The size they bring will make it tough for any team to match up against. They also have a strong supporting cast of bench players ready to get in the game. Biggest weakness is probably the guards and outside shooting. They will be tough to beat in Calgary but I think a strong game plan might get it done. I don’t see them losing too many games.

Western had major upgrades from last season. They have size and guards. No real “star” player but a number of strong players. Western is going to contend in both Calgary and Alberta this season. I’m wondering if anyone can add some insight on how Western was able to go from an average senior team and below average junior team to the team they have this year. I know the assistant coach, who was at Ernest Manning last year, is now at Western. Hes involved in the CBA club program (owner or president maybe) he brings all the CBA players. There was also a Jr. Dinos post who transferred in. How many other transfers went to the school. Are there any coaches on here who might be able to weigh in on if these types of situations cross the recruiting line??

Not to just focus on Western as I know Francis also received a transfer as mentioned before in this feed.

If I'm wrong in anything please correct me, just getting conversation going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:50 pm

The issue of transfers is governed by CHSAA Policy 6 which defaults to the ASAA policy on transfer which provides:

"This policy applies to any student who has participated at either the Junior Varsity or Senior Varsity level in any ASAA sport
before transferring schools."

The ASAA transfer policy does not apply to students coming from out of province or who did not previously play ASAA (ie. not kids from jr. high).

Recruiting from jr. high is covered by CHSAA Policy 1 - Code of Ethics which provides:

"A member shall not:
• recruit student-athletes from beyond their feeder schools, as defined by their school districts;
• initiate discussion of one’s athletic program with an athlete pre-registered or registered to another school;
• use competitive level differences between schools to imply an inability of the other schools to meet the athlete’s academic or athletic needs;
• use comparative measures, personal enticements, or guarantees of any sort;
• discuss with an athlete any matters about waiving of fees to entice the athlete to attend the school, (team or school)."

The Code of Ethics does not prohibit out of area students from attending a school and competing in athletics if they do so without being recruited.

I am not aware of any violations of either the ASAA transfer policy or the CSHAA Code of Ethics in respect of any girls basketball program in Calgary, including Francis and Western. I don't think that it is fair or responsible to lob out the issue without any evidence under the premise of "just getting the conversation going." If you have a genuine concern about violations, take it to the ASAA or CHSAA. There was a thread on this board a couple of years ago where these kinds of accusations were made in the Edmonton area and it was not pretty. Let's not go there and ruin what is sometimes an interesting discussion about girls basketball.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division   Today at 10:04 pm

Back to top Go down

Calgary Basketball Classic - Girls "A" Division
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2