HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 U17 Boys Try Outs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hoopstar



Posts : 37
Join date : 2012-01-27

PostSubject: U17 Boys Try Outs   Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Would love to hear some comments about who looked good in the first weekend of try outs from someone who was there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth



Posts : 751
Join date : 2011-06-20
Location : Surrey, BC

PostSubject: Re: U17 Boys Try Outs   Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:32 pm

Hoopstar wrote:
Would love to hear some comments about who looked good in the first weekend of try outs from someone who was there

I made it out on Saturday to check out the Boys Basketball BC U17 Supercamp, very competitive day well run by Coach Goulet, guards stood-out for me during the day-end games, bigs had a tough time finishing at the hoop the day I watched.

Some players who stood out for me:
Lambert Pajayon 5'10 G 2016 Sir Winston Churchill
Strong guard who is confident with the ball, improved shot, can finish through contact.
Myka Tang-Blumenschein 5'11 G 2016 Oak Bay
Lights-out 3pt shooter, didnt miss when he was open, wiry long, pest defensively.
Tyrell Laing 5'11 PG 2016 Prince George
Tough PG who runs offense sets well, good in transition and driving to the hoop.
Matt Lafontaine 5'10 G 2016 Kelowna
Beautiful looking shot from anywhere on the court, good vision, unlimited range.
Gabe Laza 6'4 F 2016 Terry Fox
Was the most immpressive player i saw on the court, big, strong kid with a smooth game, can hit jumpers, 3s, dribble drives, saw a little of everything from him, looks solid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash



Posts : 286
Join date : 2013-04-17

PostSubject: Re: U17 Boys Try Outs   Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:57 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:


I made it out on Saturday to check out the Boys Basketball BC U17 Supercamp, very competitive day well run by Coach Goulet, guards stood-out for me during the day-end games, bigs had a tough time finishing at the hoop the day I watched.

Some players who stood out for me:
Lambert Pajayon 5'10 G 2016 Sir Winston Churchill
Strong guard who is confident with the ball, improved shot, can finish through contact.
Myka Tang-Blumenschein 5'11 G 2016 Oak Bay
Lights-out 3pt shooter, didnt miss when he was open, wiry long, pest defensively.
Tyrell Laing 5'11 PG 2016 Prince George
Tough PG who runs offense sets well, good in transition and driving to the hoop.
Matt Lafontaine 5'10 G 2016 Kelowna
Beautiful looking shot from anywhere on the court, good vision, unlimited range.
Gabe Laza 6'4 F 2016 Terry Fox
Was the most immpressive player i saw on the court, big, strong kid with a smooth game, can hit jumpers, 3s, dribble drives, saw a little of everything from him, looks solid.

Like Mark, I took in a good portion of the AM and all of the PM session on Saturday. I agree with Mark's list and based off Saturday alone, Laza and Lafontaine were the best players there. Laza dominated the afternoon scrimmages with his all-around offensive game & Lafontaine plays with a combination of flair and comfort while looking for his teammates. Laing is a very athletic PG who partnered up well with Tang-Blumenschein. The PG from Kelowna had some strong moments and showed off a nice 3p shot.

In addition to Mark's list, the other Team BC U16 players in attendance:
Noah Charles, Cowichan
Justin McChesney, Charles Hays
Jae Steinhauer, Kelowna
Daniel Stead, Walnut Grove
(Others may not have been recognized)

Some younger guys showed up too:
Cody Dowell, BCCA
Jaden Touchie, Oak Bay (U15 Blue)
Nathan Bromige, Lord Byng
Deondre Grant, Johnson Heights
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
RockNation



Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-02-10

PostSubject: Re: U17 Boys Try Outs   Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:14 pm

I was there for all 3 days. Although I agree with some of the comments mentioned above, I believe that some players selected to the next tryout was not justified bases on their play. Lots of politics involved. Many players were not even at these tryouts, 2-3 boys showed on the last half day only because of other commitments and got selected to the next round. My feeling is they already have the team picked and its just a process that needs to happen.

The brightest star all 3 days was Jas from WJ Mouat. Hands down worked hard each day, incredible shooter, obviously Mcheasney stood out for a big. Laza only played well for half a day during scrimmage but did dominate during that time otherwise not the best effort. Lafontaine stood out as well. Good decisions on floor. Jaden Touchie stood out as an underage player. Really liked Tyrells effort each day. Man a team of 12 tyrells would be deadly. I feel last years group of u-17's had more talent but this year squad will be smarter and work more as a team. Not a fan of the earlier start for U-17 tryouts. Not sure basketball BC really thought this thru. There is volleyball, football and basketball going on. There was only a couple of club players there. So not sure the best solution. I think it might be best to stick with end of march after provincials are over and give the boys some more time to grow and develop during the year. From my stand point its a gong show especially when most of the team is already picked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sirslamalot



Posts : 13
Join date : 2014-05-26

PostSubject: So true   Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:36 pm

RockNation wrote:
I was there for all 3 days. Although I agree with some of the comments mentioned above, I believe that some players selected to the next tryout was not justified bases on their play. Lots of politics involved. Many players were not even at these tryouts, 2-3 boys showed on the last half day only because of other commitments and got selected to the next round. My feeling is they already have the team picked and its just a process that needs to happen.

The brightest star all 3 days was Jas from WJ Mouat. Hands down worked hard each day, incredible shooter, obviously Mcheasney stood out for a big. Laza only played well for half a day during scrimmage but did dominate during that time otherwise not the best effort. Lafontaine stood out as well. Good decisions on floor. Jaden Touchie stood out as an underage player. Really liked Tyrells effort each day. Man a team of 12 tyrells would be deadly. I feel last years group of u-17's had more talent but this year squad will be smarter and work more as a team. Not a fan of the earlier start for U-17 tryouts. Not sure basketball BC really thought this thru. There is volleyball, football and basketball going on. There was only a couple of club players there. So not sure the best solution. I think it might be best to stick with end of march after provincials are over and give the boys some more time to grow and develop during the year. From my stand point its a gong show especially when most of the team is already picked.

It goes to form here. You look at the coach and the bias is so evident, especially with Basketball BC.
Basketball BC picks in advance, it is no wonder they struggle, because the coaches pre determine who they want.
My suggestion is that the team gets chosen by coaches at a higher level, sorry single A coaches should not be coaching, then the provincial coach takes over. Have coaches that have no vested interest in their own players, their coaching buddies players or the myopia of not seeing talent.
The Scott Allen, Adam Friesen, Todd Jordan, Kyle Graves, group of coaches, rather than the biased or not qualified ones.
I have never seen such an old boys, biased network. I worked in another Provinces program years ago and I worked with three other coaches to pick the Provincial teams, we were all experienced but had no children playing or ties to a school. We did very well.
I expect the excuse makers out in force after this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar



Posts : 37
Join date : 2012-01-27

PostSubject: U17 Selection   Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:12 pm

I can only give my experience. My son plays in the Okanagan and had never tried out for a provincial team before. He tried out for the U17 team this past year. None of the coaches knew him at all. He did not expect to make the team because we both had a preconceived idea that the team would be chosen based on past performance. He made the decision to try out to get in a good weekend of competing with the best players to prepare for his club team.

My son had a good try out, made the team, became the starting point guard after 2 games and was named a captain.

My point is not to brag about my kid (although that is fun) but to point out that the try out process at BBC worked. People may disagree with my kid getting selected to the team or disagree with him starting but they can't argue that the process was predetermined.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sirslamalot



Posts : 13
Join date : 2014-05-26

PostSubject: Why then?   Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:20 pm

Hoopstar wrote:
I can only give my experience. My son plays in the Okanagan and had never tried out for a provincial team before. He tried out for the U17 team this past year. None of the coaches knew him at all. He did not expect to make the team because we both had a preconceived idea that the team would be chosen based on past performance. He made the decision to try out to get in a good weekend of competing with the best players to prepare for his club team.

My son had a good try out, made the team, became the starting point guard after 2 games and was named a captain.

My point is not to brag about my kid (although that is fun) but to point out that the try out process at BBC worked. People may disagree with my kid getting selected to the team or disagree with him starting but they can't argue that the process was predetermined.
Great for your son, I wish him well. How do you explain the fact that certain players show up for one day or half a day and get picked!
Pure favoritism and pre-determined that they will make it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shocker1



Posts : 2
Join date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: U17 Boys Try Outs   Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:11 am

I would tend to agree with hoop star on this issue my son played for a different club for years but this year decided to try out for the provincial team this year and guess what he made it.I agree that some kids are pre determined but that is the case with any team. Are you telling me your son really would have to try out for his team his coach know certain players he wants. By the way they beat out former provincial team players. So much for bias that's two kids that worked hard and the coaches noticed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HF



Posts : 35
Join date : 2014-01-09
Location : BC

PostSubject: Re: U17 Boys Try Outs   Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Shocker1 wrote:
I would tend to agree with hoop star on this issue my son played for a different  club for years but this year decided to try out for the provincial team this year and guess what he made it.I agree that some kids are pre-determined but that is the case with any team. Are you telling me your son really would have to try out for his team his coach know certain players he wants. By the way they beat out former provincial team players. So much for bias that's two kids that worked hard and the coaches noticed.

Having been through this with my son 2 years ago I would agree that it was not a biased decision. My bigger concern for basketball in this province is that many of the top players don't want to play for their province due to the politics of BBC and some of the clubs. When are they going to lock themselves in a room and not open the door until it is figured out how to make it work. Why can't it be like the National Cadet team where top players are invited to tryouts at the end of July / beginning in August...pick the team and go to nationals. These will all be smart players who can learn an offence quickly and have a better shot at winning at the nationals than the current system. Clubs are only going to get bigger and stronger which will continue to weaken the pool of players to draw from for BBC. It's time to park the egos and get this done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation



Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-02-10

PostSubject: Re: U17 Boys Try Outs   Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:30 pm

Final tryouts were this weekend and finished does anyone know the results on who made the U-17 team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: U17 Boys Try Outs   Today at 11:00 pm

Back to top Go down
 
U17 Boys Try Outs
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» U17 Boys Try Outs
» Kanata Cavaliers U19 Boys Tryouts
» 5th AnnualPanthers/Falcons Boys Senior Basketball Tournament
» St. Patrick's Irish Junior Boys Basketball Season Kickoff Tournament
» U15 Boys Ottawa Titans AAU Basketball Team

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: British Columbia :: BC Seniors-
Jump to: