HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Drive or basketball bc??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Baller106

PostSubject: Drive or basketball bc??   Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:50 pm

I really need help deciding whether to do drive or BBC this year. I've done drive before but have never done BBC before. Help me to choose please!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:56 pm

if you want to decide where to play, it has to be your own decision and do not ever try to choose on the basis of 'he-said-she said'.

Last edited by edward on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Underdog2010

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Baller106 wrote:
I really need help deciding whether to do drive or BBC this year. I've done drive before but have never done BBC before. Help me to choose please!
Depends on a number of factors such as the coaches of the Provincial or Drive Teams (the head and assistant coaches for BBC teams are only involved with the particular team they coach and not multiple teams at different age groups), the other players, the schedule/number of games, anticipated playing time, location(s) where the Basketball BC team mainly practises, cost (BBC is cheaper as they subsidize some of the costs), etc.

Generally, the Basketball BC teams have better players, more intense practises, play better teams (have a more challenging schedule), and play more of a team-oriented game (less focus on one or a few "superstars" like Emmerson Murray at Drive). There is no question that the Basketball BC U17 and U15 Blue teams are better and they go to Nationals every year but, like the Drive teams, playing time on these 2 teams can be an issue if you are not one of the top 6 to 8 players. Most years, the BBC U16 and U15 Red teams are a good option and the playing time on these teams is more or less equal for most of the players.

I don't know how the BBC U14 teams have been the last 2 years. However, particularly every 2nd year when the BC Summer Games are on, the BBC Regional teams and then the Summer Games zone teams can be a very good and much cheaper option.

You should go to both the BBC and Drive try-outs/camps and then decide what you should do when you have a better feel for both situations. I think most times it is best to evaluate the available options each year and not predetermine and limit your options.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:46 am

I have no experience with any players from Drive.

I'm just giving my opinion of Basketball BC...

I've coached a few kids on regional teams who ended up making provincial teams for the first time. Their skill level and overall demeanor on the court is VASTLY improved when they come back after a summer of Prov team.

That being said, there is no guarantee you make the provincial team. Even if you think you'll make it no problem, please have enough sense not to bank on this and also attend Drive's stuff too, or whatever other camps or teams you know of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ceelow75

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 pm

ive worked with a few kids who went to drive and ive noticed that they work on a lot of individual skills which is important. Their individual skills improved but i did notice that the players come out of the camps as individuals instead of team players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog2010

PostSubject: 2010 BBC Team Coaches   Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:31 pm

Basketball BC Team Head Coaches for 2010:

U17 - Barnaby Craddock, Head Coach University Fraser Valley
U16 - Sean Shook, Head Coach Quest Univeriity
U15 Blue - Randy Nohr, Assistant Coach UBC
U15 Red - Brian Meier, Head Coach McRoberts Secondary

I don't know anything about Brian Meier, but the other 3 are excellent coaches.

If you are U15 and really want to become a much better player and learn how to play the game at a high level, consider yourself very fortunate if you can make the U15 Blue team and get the opportunity to be coached by Randy Nohr for an extended period of time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 pm

That is an excellent list of coaches especially at the U17 and U15 level with 2 CIS coaches.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Underdog2010

PostSubject: 3D U16/U17 Elite Teams   Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:24 pm

3D 2010 U16/U17 (grade 10/11) Elite Selections:

"3D Elite Training Camp Roster:

Anand Carrigan
Anthony Vancise
Ater Degal
Cain Ruttenberg
Chad Payne
Cole Faminoff
Cole Penman
Daniel Van Der Velde
David Manshreck
Dylan Quon
Edvin Malushaga
Hosam Abdussalam
Johnny Leong
Jojo Kibangula
Jok Malek
Jordan Penman
Josh Whang
Jovan Zigic
Kealan Wild
Kevin Arkoncel
Lazar Cuk
Luka Petkovic
Mambo Mena
Matt Hilder
Matt Ros
Mukhraj Dosanj
Nikolas Ottenbreit
Oliver Schmidt
Preet Gandhi
Reiner Theil
Spencer Quon
Wes Dekleer

Coaches: Jamie Oei, Tim Whitehead"

Some very good players on the list. If they don't lose the best ones to the Provincial teams, 3D's U16 and U17 Elite teams should be pretty good this spring/summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballbccynic

PostSubject: Drive vs Basketball BC   Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:59 am

Basketball Bc is obviously the better choice. At this juncture of the majority of student-athletes high school career drive seems to be the more inticing option because Pasha Bains does a very good job of selling his product, and being very professional. However, he tends to over promise under deliever. In addition, he tells kids what they want to hear, rather then what is the reality. For example telling gurj that hes going div 1 so he shouldn't play team bc. He ends up at one of the worst Canada West teams and DOESN'T play. Secondly we all know how talented emerson is but he hasn't developed in the drive Program and he is hamstrung by them because if he is goign to div 1 there is always another emerson murray in the states. Coaches will be on his ass they don't care who he is. So even though he had the physical skills to play in the states its whether mentally he will be able to deal with a coach getting on him every day have nobody worshiping him anymore cause hes just an average player in the states. Also not playing a lot. Thats why a lot of BC players come back. NOT cause there not good enough but because self-serving coaches (ex drive using emerson to sell their product) hamstring these players by not getting them ready for the next level. How many guys from ontario come back to canda? not very much because they understand how to deal with stud athletes. Its not about being their friends but making them better.

Secondly (got a little sidetracked) but lets look at where basketball bc's last year u-17 athletes are going next year
Marek Klassen-NAIA school in Cali
Phillip Scrubb-Carleton
Matt Letkemen-Rejected offer from SFU, flew out to Laurentian
Ted Neilson-UVIC
Reese Pribilisky-UVIC
Nakai Lukyen-On the bc team again
Nicholas Langley-Played on Mcgill this year
Jesse Jeffers-Cap University
Riley Barker-Portland University
James Lum-Unknown
Josh Wolfram-Recieved interest from U of Calgary
Colby Maier-UBC okanogan (unknown?)

Emerson Murray hasn't commited anywhere and nobody on drive is recieveing any CIS interest. So let this speak for itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoops-9

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:56 pm

(A little late now...)

The way I see it, neither program is fantastic. I'll start with Basketball BC. The Elite Development Program offers athletes elite opportunities, like participating in the Canadian National Championships at the U15 and U17 levels. Also, their coaches are handpicked and all coach already at an elite level. However, the problem with Basketball BC is that they only offer one team per age group (at least at the older levels) for the entire province. That means that you basically have to be one of the top 12 players in the province to make the team (even though there are exceptions, like Emerson Murray who trained with Drive)....which is OK, I guess, if you do make the team, but even then you are competing with other top players from around the province for playing time.

Now for Drive. Drive offers an Elite team and a Premier team for each age group, so there are more opportunities to actually make a team! As well Drive attracts athletes from just the Lower Mainland and surrounding areas. Now, I don't know about you, but given these two facts I would feel like there would be a better chance to make a Drive team, where I'm competing for one of 24 spots against kids from one region, than a Basketball BC team, where I'm competing for one of twelve spots against kids from multiple regions (like the Island, Fraser Valley and Okanagan). Plus, they play a lot more than Basketball BC (whose teams cannot play as much to accommodate kids from all over) - that is good for development (which, really, is what the offseason is about). However, I really don't think Drive is all that good of a program. Sure, one of their athletes, Emerson Murray, is playing Div. 1 in the upcoming season, but to be honest he was just a special player. He would have been successful regardless of the program he chose. The Drive coaches don't really strike me as all that amazing.

So, the way I see it is that is a choice between an 'elite' program with supposedly better coaching but only one team (where you may not get a lot of playing time) and a not as good program that has more than one team (where you would probably get more playing time).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldSchool

PostSubject: Drive or BBall BC   Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:35 pm

Not sure who is better, but I saw Drive playing zone at Kitsfest today. ZONE AT A BEACH GAME!!!! Thats enough to make me puke. Basketball BC for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JLivingston

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:54 am

OldSchool wrote:
Not sure who is better, but I saw Drive playing zone at Kitsfest today. ZONE AT A BEACH GAME!!!! Thats enough to make me puke. Basketball BC for me.

BTW, the kitfest have to tighten the rules of age eligibility to play in the boys division. I had seen players from going into grade 11 and grade 9 were playing. Not a level field. Playing up is fine but down?? why?

But fantastic tourney(nah, festival) and well run and only outdoor event with all the festivities which the dolphin event lacks. 3 cheers to the organizers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:25 pm

basketballbccynic wrote:

Colby Maier-UBC okanogan (unknown?)

Colby is going to Canadian University College in Lacombe, Alberta.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballerrr

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:25 pm

Brian Meier is a terrible coach. All he focus's on is size and if you are quick. If there is one person that is better then the other guy but the other guy has more size then he will pick him. I saw some of his provincial games and he is so bad. I say if you don't care who the coach is I say go for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:26 pm

Ballerrr wrote:
Brian Meier is a terrible coach. All he focus's on is size and if you are quick. If there is one person that is better then the other guy but the other guy has more size then he will pick him. I saw some of his provincial games and he is so bad. I say if you don't care who the coach is I say go for it.

If you are referring to a Basketball BC coach, I need to remind you that Basketball BC is mandated by Canada Basketball to try to develop potential National "Teamers". This means, if a guy with a ton of height and someone of lesser height come up against each other, they'll probably choose the guy with more height because he has a better chance of being a National Team player.

It's not the coach, it's essentially Basketball BC's policy throughout its program to select height.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Drive or basketball bc??   Today at 8:59 pm

Back to top Go down

Drive or basketball bc??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1