HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Girls Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:52 pm

Rankings come out this week, what are everyones preditions on the top 10 and HM's?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:17 am

1. SACHS (Edmonton)
2. St. Francis (Calgary)
3. Cardston (South)
4. Spruce Grove (Edmonton)
5. Centennial (Calgary)
6. Medicine Hat (South)
7. Scona (Edmonton)
8. William Aberhart (Calgary)
9. Harry Ainlay (Edmonton)
10. Western Canada (Calgary)
HM - Paul Kane (Edmonton), Raymond (South), EP Scarlett (Calgary), Bishop Grandin (Calgary), Jasper Place (Edmonton)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:35 pm

trifecta3,
Great first attempt, I did not want to attempt it. A few facts that might change some of your rankings.
St. Francis lost to EP Scarlett so they can't be number 2.
Scona went 0 for 3 in Cardston tournament losing to Foothills, Magrath, and Immanuel Christian (2A).
Scona just recently beat Ainlay and JP, so those 3 have to be way down in the rankings if in at all.
Ainlay just beat Western by 13
Chinook has lost only 1 game to Taber who is probably #1 3A team and Chinook just beat Raymond by 1 in overtime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:07 pm

Southfan, thanks for the other results from Cardston. I didn't know about those.

St. Francis is still the top team in Calgary. I discount the loss to Scarlett as they were missing their best player. I would have no trouble with a South team or Spruce Grove moving ahead of them, but no Calgary team should.

I ranked Scona at 7 because they beat Harry Ainlay in league play. It is hard to know what to do with them now that I know that they went 0 for 3 in Cardston.

Also, it is very hard to rank Ainlay, Aberhart, and Western. Western beat Aberhart by 28 in the Calgary Classic and then lost to Ainlay by 13 at REB. Aberhart beat Ainlay by 6 at REB. Match ups and styles probably explain the different results. I went with the most recent results to make my ranking, but those three teams could be ranked in any order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Here is my 2 cents:
1. SACHS
2. CARDSTON
3.SPRUCE GROVE
4.ST.FRANCIS
5. MEDICINE HAT
6.CENTENNIAL
7.CHINOOK
8. RAYMOND
9. ABE
10. WESTERN
???? HM
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Rankings are now out for 4A girls. As mentioned, top 4 were pretty easy in terms of who they were, just not the order. 5-15 was more difficult. Lots of tournaments coming up where teams in the top 10-15 play each other or at least will be able to see others play for comparison purposes. Hopefully those teams that have had injuries to key people, get them back and everyone is playing with a full roster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:52 am

Good work by the ranking committee. Pretty much bang on.

I think that there are some interesting things to watch going forward. South - Cardston appears to be the strongest, but who else is a contender? Medicine Hat lost a close one at home to Raymond on Friday night and then lost badly to Cardston in Cardston. Medicine Hat is at risk of dropping out of the top 10. Should Chinook or Raymond be higher next time? The result from Cardston vs. Raymond in early January will be interesting. Calgary - Centennial lost at home to St. Francis by 11 with St. Francis missing one of its best players. Is #5 too high for Centennial? Abe gets another shot at Centennial in early January. Scarlett could take Western's spot in the top 10 with a win on January 5. Edmonton - SACHS is dominant and SG looks to be a solid second place. The most interesting thing in Edmonton will be how things sort themselves out below those two. Look for JP to make a push for the top 10.

2014-15
First Ranking

1 St. Albert Catholic Edmonton
2 Spruce Grove Composite Edmonton
3 Cardston High South
4 St. Francis Calgary
5 Centennial High Calgary
6 Medicine Hat High South
7 William Aberhart Calgary
8 Chinook High, Lethbridge South
9 Paul Kane High, St. Albert Edmonton
10 Western Canada Calgary

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)

Catholic Central High, Lethbridge South
Dr. EP Scarlett Calgary
Jasper Place Edmonton
Raymond High South
Strathcona High Edmonton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:54 am

Rankings round 2

Here is my best guess

1 Spruce Grove
2 Cardston
3 St. Albert
4 St. Francis
5 Aberhart
6 Chinook
7 Raymond
8 Jasper Place
9 Western
10 Paul Kane

This round is hard with so few opportunities for schools to play ranked teams. If you we're able to beat a higher ranked team you should move up, but if you haven't played any ranked teams do you stay put or is this an opportunity to leap frog??

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:23 pm

WHEW! Crazy last couple of weeks regarding games in 4A girls.. here are some hi-lites going into 2nd ranking
- SACHS will drop - we've had 2 losses - 1 to JP in league play and this past weekend to raymond in semi of Chinook tournament. In the game vs JP we were down 2 starters BUT JP played great - shot the 3 very well and played tough. More evidence of their improvement is their 9pt loss to Spruce this past weekend in Bev Facey final. Apparently JP's trip to Hawaii did good things! Our loss to Raymond (minus 1 starter for us) was a good, grind out game - they were very tough, ran well as they always do and with the southern hospitality officiating, they beat us by 4. Talking with their coach, he felt that was their best all-around game to date. Raymond also beat Centennial by about 20 on friday. It was a 2pt game at half and then Raymond blew it open in the 3rd quarter - #9 (haley?) and Teyah (#10 - pg in grade 10) were awesome. Centennial had no answer to the pace and although they recovered to hold even in the 4th, the damage was done. Raymond played St. Francis in the final and I think fatigue was a factor in their 20pt loss. St. Francis played McCoy in the other semi and were able to rest their top players and spread out minutes. St. Francis is very big and their guards are athletic. The rumor was perimeter outside shooting consistency was their achilles heel but they shot very well - add to that Summer who at 6'3 runs well and passes out of doubles or in the HP - seeing over top of the D. Francis looked strong. I'm also a fan of their #11 - 6'0 and guarded other teams top players. Very athletic and nice touch. I watched them vs Chinook as well and wasn't impressed - they seemed slow and missed a lot of easy shots (Friday night - maybe the drive?) Chinook was down 6 with about a minute and forced Francis into backcourt turnovers, poor passes or missed lay-ups. Game was tied and Chinook had chance to win with 2.5sec on inbounds and missed the bunny. Francis dominated in OT and won by about 10.
Chinook and Centennial also had a good game going back and forth with Chinook eventually winning by about 8. So Centennial will drop as the #2 out of Calgary I would assume (they also lost to Aberhart during the week).
Paul Kane lost in their tournament final to Med Hat - game was fairly close from my understanding. I would have liked to see since they are a contrast in size with PK having no one over 5'10 (and a guard) vs Med Hat who has plenty of size.
So teams dropping some spots will be SACHS and Centennial. Teams holding their own - Spruce, Cardston, Med Hat, Chinook, Western and Paul Kane. Teams on the rise would be Jasper Place, Raymond and Aberhart. I know Cardston beat Winston Churchill in LCI final. Other top 15 teams either were in active or simply won the games they should have in either tournament or league play.
Once again, I think that on any given night any of the top teams can beat the other. Style of play (match-ups) and injuries will certainly be a determining factor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:35 am

Guess at 2nd Ranking

1. Spruce Grove
2. Cardston
3. St. Francis
4. Raymond
5. SACHS
6. Chinook
7. Aberhart
8. Medicine Hat
9. Jasper Place
10. Western

HM: Centennial, Scarlett, Paul Kane, Catholic Central, Strathcona
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:09 pm

Guess at 2nd ranking

1. Spruce Grove
2. St. Francis
3. Cardston
4. Raymond
5. St. Albert
6. Aberhart
7. Chinook
8. Western
9. Medicine Hat
10. Jasper Place

I don't exactly know how the rankings work (obviously a lot has to do with strength of schedule, common opponents and wins/losses) but how much merit is put into teams that have players missing? More importantly, should it matter? I know Francis lost to Scarlett but they were missing two players. St. Albert took a couple of losses but they were missing a couple of players. My question is, is that not part of the game? I understand that it's not the same team if the team isn't at full strength but how much consideration gets put into that.

Here's an example...

St. Francis is missing their number one player when they play EP Scarlett so Scarlett's win has an * beside it.

What if Meghan from Centennial who may be averaging 25 points a game, plays Spruce Grove but is feeling a bit under the weather and only scores 4 points. Does that have a * beside it? If Meghan was feeling better she would have scored more points that game.

I realize I'm going to the extreme but I think that for whatever reason players miss games, it shouldn't keep those teams higher ranked because of it. With that said, I also am not sure just because Scarlett beat St. Francis they should move up.

Just wondering if anyone could shed some more information about how much consideration goes into games that are being played with missing players. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just don't completely understand how it works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:37 pm

girlballer,
A comment, I would say a win is a win, a loss is a loss, for ranking purposes.
When it comes to a tournament or provincials , nobody says , well you were missing a starter or 2 of your girls were sick , so even though you lost the game, you still are the champions.
Question, why does St. Francis leap frog Cardston?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:58 pm

here are the semester break rankings-- thoughts?

Spruce Grove Composite Edmonton

Cardston High South

St. Francis Calgary

St. Albert Catholic Edmonton
Raymond High South

William Aberhart Calgary

Medicine Hat High South

Western Canada Calgary

Jasper Place Edmonton

Chinook High South

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)

HM
Catholic Central South

HM
Centennial High Calgary

HM
Dr. EP Scarlett Calgary

HM
Paul Kane High Edmonton

HM
Strathcona High Edmonton
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Rankings   Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:33 pm

About what we all thought surprised that centennial dropped that much and that med hat just stayed exactly the same
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Centennial and Raymond switched places, Raymond had some impressive wins the last new weeks. Can anyone shed light on Centennials big fall??
St. Albert, Raymond, and Centennial are the only real movers, everyone else is up or down a couple of spots.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:31 pm

I thought Raymond would be ahead of St Albert after beating them; but other than that looks about right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Mid-February Rankings Predictions   Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:34 am

1. Spruce Grove
2. St. Francis (Calgary)
3. SACHS
4. Western Canada
5. Cardston
6. William Aberhart
7. Jasper Place
8. Raymond
9. Paul Kane
10. St. Mary's

HM: Bishop Grandin, Chinook, Medicine Hat, EP Scarlett, Strathcona

The top of the ranking (1-5) is easy. Cardston lost one and Spruce Grove, SACHS, and St. Francis all kept winning. Western Canada beat #2, #5, and #7 in the last two weeks and has to move up. I move WC ahead of Cardston based on the result in the head to head match up. I don't think any of that is very controversial.

The difficult part is the bottom half (6-10). As a starting point, I don't think teams should be ranked in the Provincial top 10 in mid-February if they are below .500 in league play no matter how good their tournament results may be. That drops Chinook (3-4), Bishop Grandin (2-3), and Medicine Hat (2-4) to the HM category. If these teams put it together over the last few weeks of the league schedule, they will have a case to be in the bottom of the top 10. I put William Aberhart at #6 based on their strong league record. WA's recent loss to Paul Kane means that there is an argument that PK or JP should go ahead of WA. I put JP at #7 based on the fact that others have lost and they have held steady, but they should not be rewarded too much as they didn't test themselves much during this ranking period. Raymond has to drop after losing to Bishop Grandin and Western Canada on consecutive weekends. I have Raymond at #8 giving them credit for playing a tough schedule and beating a rising St. Mary's team this weekend. I have Paul Kane at #9, but it is arguable that they should be higher after beating WA. I put St. Mary's in at #10 after beating Western Canada, taking WA to overtime, and losing narrowly to Raymond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:32 am

Ron,
Lots of reasoning to try to convince yourself but your reasoning to a certain extent goes against itself. The rankers are a little more in tune to the heartbeat of the province.
You say that Western would be ahead of Cardston because of the head to head. Well if that was how it worked then Raymond would have been ahead of St. Albert last ranking. And then contradict yourself with Abe being in front of Paul Kane when PK beat Abe .
You are trying to put Western (4 losses) to lower or unranked teams, ahead of Cardston (1 loss). You don't just drop a team below for 1 loss when the teams below them still have 1 or more losses.
Now I would say that there is no controversy that Cardston keeps it spot. St. Francis also has 1 loss, to a non top 10 team.
Also your statement about teams below .500 cannot be a top ten? So you are saying that teams who have played ranked teams in their league and lost are not as good as teams who have played non ranked teams and won in their league.? Even though they have beat ranked teams in tournaments across the province. Wow that does not make any sense to me, I would think that the strength of schedule would be very high on the list for the ranking criteria.

I know the ranking committee like I said will look at all facts more closely not just a couple of games.

Here is the top 5:
1. Spruce Grove
2. Cardston
3.St. Francis
4.SAHS
5.Western
6-9 is a toss up between Raymond,PK,ABE, and JP,

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:53 am

I knew that post would get you going Southfan. You are probably right that Cardston will stay ahead of Western based on their overall season body of work and there is nothing wrong with that. That said, Cardston is not playing well right now. They only beat Ernest Manning by 3 on Friday. I disagree regarding St. Francis - their only loss came before Christmas when missing their best player. St. Francis has to move up to #2.

As for being below .500 in league play and ranked in the top 10, that is just my rule of thumb. The season is half-over and I think that league play is more important than tournaments and should be valued more highly in the rankings. I am sure that you can make arguments for ranking the occasional team a with losing league record (tough early schedule, notable injuries, etc.), but I would rather keep those teams in HM and have them move up next ranking if they get their league record over .500.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:09 pm

This one loss "missing their best player "stuff is irrelevant. Do you think Cardston has been 100% these last 2 weekends or all season for that fact? Had 1 loss in last 7 games, the loss was their worst game of the year and probably Westerns best. "Only beat Manning by 3" good teams find a way to win when they are not playing too well. Then they come back and beat Chinook (a ranked team ) and then beat the #2 team from Regina in the final.

Look at St. Francis's schedule, they really tested themselves this weekend.

Raymond and Cardston look forward to playing the best teams every chance they get. Why do you think they are so strong year after year ? Many Calgary teams play week schedules and want to be highly ranked then crumble come provincials cause they don't know how to play a tough game.

St. Marys and Centennial always play in tough competitive tournaments. Look at St. Marys, put in the B division by Calgary coaches for preseason and look at them now, will be ranked this period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: South calgary    Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Okay you two as near as I can tell calgary has looked really good lately lets us agree there cardston lost so if you want to switch cardston at Francis sounds like the right pick but with cardston only having the one lose should only go to 3 western should definitely move up to 5 maybe even 4 raymond should drop seeing as for how much we talked them up they may only be 4 best in south this year congrats on calgary zone for well played will be fun to see how it all shakes down in March
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:47 pm

Southfan, I'm very excited to hear that Cardston played they're worst game of the year against Western and that Western probably played their best. Not exactly sure how you know if Western played their best or not but I'll take your word for it. It should make for an exciting March.

Here's the problem... I saw the game against Western AND I saw the game they played against Ernest Manning... Cardston looked very similar in both games (so does that make it two of their worst games?). The 3 point win against Manning was not that impressive and even though you say they "found a way to win", you don't have to look to far to try and find a way to beat Manning, they haven't won a league game yet. They are losing games by 40+ hear in Calgary. Its funny how people say when they lose it's because they played bad... that's usually the case - play bad and there is a good chance you will lose.

Also, help me out on exactly why Raymond should be in the top 10 spot again? They've lost to Bishop Grandin & Western and barely got by St. Mary's (3pt game and last second shot almost tied it) - this all happening in the past 10 days.

You make it very clear that you are a Southfan and I admire you for supporting the South but the reality is it is not the Raymond/Chinook show this year. Raymond doesn't belong in the Top 10 and Cardston should move down.

I apologize in advance if my posting seems sarcastic or even aggressive but based on your response to Ron, I figured this was the road we were planning on going down for this conversation.

PS - In case there was any confusion, I'm from Calgary.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:13 pm

I must disagree I think Raymond does deserve to be in the top ten, they may not be the Raymond of old but they are better than all the HM's.

Cardston should fall this ranking period but I would think only 2 or 3 spots. Western will be the big mover this ranking as I think they deserve to be in the top 4 now.

Spruce Grove will stay at the #1 spot and Francis will move to #2. Its Francis moving up to the #2 spot that should have people talking. Yes they have only lost 1 game but who have they played since??? Francis goes to very weak tournaments where wins are guaranteed. Western and Aberhart may not be winning all of the games but I give them credit for having a tough schedule.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't "strength of schedule" come into play for provincial seeding?? I think a number of teams should receive a higher seed due to this factor.

Its almost playoff time and we can expect some great games. Whatever the rankings are that come out I wouldn't bet your house on them staying that way come March.

Good luck to everyone in their final games
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Just a few updates since last week/weekend. In Edmonton and area SACHS and Spruce have split their 2 meetings so far with SACHS winning by 10 in League play and then Spruce beating SACHS by 12 in the finals of the Panther classic. Games of note were also Spruce beating both Western and Aberhart to make the final while SACHS beat Scarlett and Cardston. Cardston beat Aberhart for 3rd and Western won consolation final over Scarlett. Med Hat was missing Jenna and another big I believe so that impacted their performance for sure. If anyone has not seen Hilary from EP Scarlett play - wow - what an athlete, in grade 11 and only plays during BB season. I'd like to see her play VB which is apparently her first sport (6'2).
This week in league play, SACHS beat Harry Ainley while Spruce handled Paul Kane.
In Calgary, I saw that St. Francis beat Grandin in the finals of the the Grandin tournament?
So in terms of provincial movement, I would suggest to this point that pretty well things are going according to ranking with Spruce/SACHS split - they say 1 & 2, St. Francis didn't play anyone in top 10 but didn't lose, #4 Cardston lost to SACHS by 7 but beat Aberhart #6. Western loses to #1 Spruce but then beats Med Hat and Scarlett.
After watching teams play there are certainly 10 teams in the province that on any given night beat each other - there is certainly no "powerhouse" or sure thing. The team that makes it through their own playoffs, healthy, confident and prepared to play different styles of play (because there are a few...) will ultimately win in the end. Just not sure who that might be!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballwow

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:26 pm

I have been watching this forum for 2 years.
You do not mention that St Francis beat Scarlett (HM) (their only loss this year) by 29 in league play last week.
They beat Grandin (ranked 10) by 18 in a tournament this week-end after Grandin beat Paul Kane (ranked 7) by 10. So to say they played no ranked teams is just wrong.
They also have beat Raymond by 19, and Aberhart in the Calgary Classic.
Seems all the respect is in Edmonton. Typical!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Today at 7:34 am

Back to top Go down

4A Girls Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next