HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Girls Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:20 pm

Respect is earned!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:52 pm

There is no doubt that St. Francis played a weak tournament schedule compared to the rest of the top 5 or 6 teams. Recognizing that, the fuss about St. Francis will be over in the next five days. They play Western tonight and Abe on Tuesday. Everyone will know what they are when those games are over. My bet is that Francis proves to be the top Calgary team and deserving of their provincial ranking.

I would be interested to know what the records of the top 10 teams are against the top 10 teams. I think that could tell us a lot. Is that information available somewhere? Could someone post it? I am sure that Deeds knows the records of the Edmonton teams vs. the top 10, that Southfan knows the records vs. top 10 for the South, and that BasketballCalgary or Girlballer knows for Calgary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballwow

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:05 am

Ron. You were right I watched francis dominant western 85 - 52. I would say respect earned!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballwow

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:05 am

Ron. You were right I watched francis dominant western 85 - 52. I would say respect earned!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:00 pm

it is unbelievable how the Calgary ranker (western coach) can just move himself cause he is the senior ranker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:57 pm

Southfan... I'm so confused. What is unbelievable? That Western moved up because in their last 10 games they've only lost to teams above them in the rankings? Or is it unbelievable that this team full of Grade 10 and 11 players are actually competing as a top 4 team in the Province? Or do you mean it's unbelievable that a team from the South isn't in the top four and your a fan from the South? Just looking for clarification.

You make a pretty aggressive comment if your intention is for us to believe that the only reason Western has moved up the rankings is because he is a Senior ranker (just on a side note, I've asked around, the rankers aren't divided into the "senior" or "junior" rankers - the are just considered rankers).

Totally respect the fact if you don't believe a team should be where they are due to their win/loss record or strength of schedule or other factors. This forum is for open dialogue and educated opinions. However your one line comment insinuating that Western is where they are because the Western coach is a ranker is not only ignorant with absolutely no facts to back it up but also dangerous. Dangerous because if we get more people posting those types of comments, pretty soon all the passionate and informed people who come here will not be bothered because all they will read is random comments based on emotion with no facts or substance.

Now, if the coach from Western told you or anyone else that the reason Western is 4th is because he is a senior ranker and he wants to look good, then I take it all back, however if that was the case, you would be wise to include that in your post.

Once again, not looking for a "cyber fight" with you. Just trying to make sure the comments that are made our both responsible and with good intentions.

(for clarity, once again, I'm from Calgary)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:30 am

Absolutely no such thing as a senior or junior ranker - maybe new as in this is their first go around. Lots of emails and discussions take place between the 4 rankers plus side conversations with other coaches in the areas about what they've seen and know regarding team play etc go into every ranking period. Usually a consensus is reached before posting however that does not necessarily need to be the case. Western moves as they won a head to head vs Cardston, plus as mentioned only lost to #1 Spruce (close) and #3 St. Francis (the game was on the bubble for ranking timelines). Cardston lost to #2 SACHS as well as a top 3A team which was enough for the south to flip with Calgary for 4th. As for St. Francis, they are a team to wary of for sure - they are big, fast and I have personally seen them shoot the ball very well (in Lethbridge) which was their supposed achilles heel. I've mentioned before that match-ups in terms of style of play will be key - can one team force theirs upon the other. I also believe that there are 10 teams capable of going on a run and winning the 4A tournament. Injuries, coaching, experience, match-ups all come into play. In the end, rankers will sit down, rank as best they can while avoiding early round games vs teams in the same zones and then let the fun begin!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks JDeeds for clearing that up. Great post and insight as always. It's going to be an exciting Provincials for sure and I think it's safe to say there is at least 4-5 teams that have a shot at winning it all this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:38 pm

Just as an update from Edmonton area;
Spruce beat SACHS by 3 in the Metro finals securing #1 for Spruce. SACHS will be #2 seed out of Edmonton.
PK and JP played tonight for 3/4 with JP winning by 1. Both teams don't appear to be suffering any injuries and look to be at full capacity for provincials.
Scona and Ainley played for the 5th spot with Scona winning by 2.

So Edmonton zone will shape up as;
1 - Spruce
2 - SACHS
3 - JP
4 - PK
5 - Scona

Once Calgary and the South leagues settle, we will get working on a tournament draw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
High Flyer

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Strathcona beat Harry Ainlay 61-59 in a thriller to claim the #5 and final spot out of Edmonton. HA had a 7 point lead with about 3 minutes remaining and Scona chipped away and held on for the win.

JDeeds wrote:
Just as an update from Edmonton area;
Spruce beat SACHS by 3 in the Metro finals securing #1 for Spruce.  SACHS will be #2 seed out of Edmonton.
PK and JP played tonight for 3/4 with JP winning by 1.  Both teams don't appear to be suffering any injuries and look to be at full capacity for provincials.
Scona and Ainley played for the 5th spot with Scona winning by 2.

So Edmonton zone will shape up as;
1 - Spruce
2 - SACHS
3 - JP
4 - PK
5 - Scona

Once Calgary and the South leagues settle, we will get working on a tournament draw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:35 am

Provincial tournament seeding prediction. Final ranking in brackets.

1. Spruce Grove (#1) – won Edmonton and clearly earned top seed.

2. SACHS (#2) – lost to #1 Spruce Grove – shouldn’t move down for losing to #1.

3. St. Francis (#3) – won Calgary in dominant fashion. There could be an argument for moving SF to #2, but it doesn’t matter because either way SACHS and St. Francis will square off in the semis.

4. Abe (#6) – moves up after defeating #4 Western Canada and HM Centennial.

5. Western Canada (#4) – easily defeated HM St. Mary’s before close loss to #6 Abe.

6. Cardston (#5) – close loss to HM Medicine Hat before defeating unranked teams to finish 3rd in South. Remains above Medicine Hat despite South result based on season’s body of work.

7. Jasper Place (#7) – finished 3rd in Edmonton losing to #2 SACHS and defeating #9 Paul Kane.

8. Medicine Hat (HM) – strong finish to the season with wins over #5 Cardston and #9 Raymond. Must move up as a result of winning South.

9. Bishop Grandin (#Cool – easy win over unranked Scarlett before losing to #1 St. Francis.

10. Raymond (#10) – lost to HM Medicine Hat in South Final. Moves ahead of PK based on season’s body of work and so that committee can avoid a first round Cardston-Raymond game.

11. Paul Kane (#9) – finished 4th in Edmonton (lost a close one to #7 JP).

12. Scona (unranked) – finished 5th in Edmonton.

13. EP Scarlett (unranked) – finished 5th in Calgary on tiebreakers. Also rumoured to be missing players (injuries etc.) for Provincials. St. Mary’s and Centennial would have been much stronger entries from Calgary. Could drop as low as #15 if committee wants to avoid Calgary-Calgary first round match ups.

14. Foothills (unranked).

15. Central Representative (unranked).

16. Northeast Representative (unranked).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Sorry trifecta3 but they must be ranked in accordance with how they finished in their zone. This means med hat must be the highest ranked south team, then raymond, and then Cardston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
trifecta3

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:11 pm

el tigre, I think that you are mistaken. The ASAA by-Laws state:

4. Provincial Seeding Process:
i. All basketball provincial championships shall be seeded.
ii. In order of priority, the following will guide the seedings:
a. Final ASAA Ranking*
b. Placing in zone championship*
c. Note: Winning the zone championship will automatically
qualify the team for the provincial championship but does not
guarantee that the team will enter provincials as the number one
seed from their respective zone
*Not withstanding 'a' and 'b' above, every effort will be made
to prevent teams from the same zone meeting in their first game
of the provincial competition. This may require minor adjustment of
seedings to accomplish. Note that avoiding zone match-ups in second
or subsequent rounds of competition is not within the purpose of the
seeding process or rankings/seedings committees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Wow so following that logic Raymond should be higher than med hat as well trifecta. They. Went into zones seeded 2 finish and come out as 3 while being in the championship game as well as neeting high ranked opponents during season. According to your logic; we shouldn't even hold zones. Political collusion does hold bias in the ASAA once again
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Yeller

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:39 pm

Treyfactor- the teams who don't get their way generally call out things like "collusion" and try to blame the system. The provincial tournament seeding is, and should be done, based on the entire season-just like the NCAA. Duke lost to Notre Dame in the ACC semi-final, so should they be behind UNC and ND even though there overall season was stronger? it is very close between two teams, the game can switch things up, but when one team has clearly had a better year, losing one 2 point game (Cardston to Med Hat) should not change the entire provincial seeding.
Instead of getting on here and complaining, why don't you take a shot at the provincial seeding? Where would you seed and place the south teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:50 pm

We all know it happens in the NCAA so you confirmed the thinking I had. I find it ironic that shep wins their zone and leap frog lci in men's; shouldn't same logic hold true there too?
So I'm fine with entitlement as long as it's earned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 pm

I have many times; but remember 2 points is still a lose just like 20 or 10. If you are comparing Cardston to Duke then please stop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Yeller

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Treyfactor- just post your provincial seeding for both girls and boys. This forum is a great place to come on and share opinions, but instead of just complaining, you should provide an alternative seeding to what was shared by others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:58 pm

I'll offer an unbiased opinion. Med hat girls won the zone and should therefore be the highest ranked team from the south heading to provs. After that, it's fair game. Treyfactor you honestly think that because raymond got silver they should be ranked higher than Cardston after not beating them once this year? And even if it is based solely on zones, one could look at those results and compare the head to head matchups and easily conclude that Cardston, although losing in semis is probably still a few steps ahead of raymond. Med hat I believe weren't playing full strength for much of the season (correct me if I'm wrong) and so had a lower record and lower ranking coming in. But obviously they are a legit team that came together at the right time. Yet, Cardston was still in that game and I believe was winning with a few minutes left and couldn't ckose it out and lost by 2. Did raymond ever lead in the final? When I arrived to watch that game and the boys final it was 18-5 for med hat in the first. Did they ever build a lead like that on Cardston? So yes trey factor I will support you and say that perhaps med hat should have taken over top spot from the south and you can make that argument but to say that raymond should be ahead of Cardston is something ONLY a raymond fan would say. Raymond is clearly and with no doubt the third best girls team in the south. If this was a year with only 2 prov births raymond would have had to play again after losing to the hat and they would have lost to Cardston and not even be going to provincials. But your right, you got the silver medals, and that definitely means you are the second best team.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:29 pm

Unbiased hahaha you missed the point;
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:33 pm

And med hat got well deserved golds; won the zone; beat one and two but yet are looking up at the team that finished third...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Your right, perhaps it was a bit biased. Unbiased because I don't really follow girls ball, but Ya perhaps a bit biased against raymond. apologies I really don't mean to turn this thread into a bash fest cause it shouldnt be. All girls played hard and deserve recognition for their play and achievements But still. My opinion is that it should have been med hat, and then Cardston and then raymond. The school I generally cheer for and follow has no dog in the fight, and so it doesn't really matter to me. Just like joining the conversation and expressing what I observed this weekend. But I do agree with you med hat should have either moved higher, or Cardston maybe should have dropped a couple. But after that I think you need to look at the head to head between Cardston and raymond and according to southhoops Cardston wins that matchup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Agreed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:02 am

Ball456 I don't think that; I said using the same logic as what was presented for Cardstons high ranking. I never said Raymond ahead of Cardston in my posts; I said using the same logic...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:07 am

Fair enough my bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Today at 3:51 am

Back to top Go down

4A Girls Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top