HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ballislife9

PostSubject: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:45 pm

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:25 pm

It'd be easier if you just told us who you want this thread to be about, rather than make us guess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballislife9

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:32 pm

It can be about anyone you want it to be about. I wanted to know other people's opinions about players that could play at the next level.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachBuckets

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:44 am

Is this only for "A boys" or all categories? Because if its just for "A boys" then there is very slim pickings and not going to be much conversation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballislife9

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:35 am

It can be A, AA, and AAA!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:44 pm

Cis Oneill kv, Stanley, Fhs likely at Carleton U. CCAA Gray Wdsk, Tilley Kv. I don't watch A but very unlikely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:56 pm

Isnt Tilley grade 11
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:07 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:46 pm

I think Mr. Foster in Hartland would be up there ....would be surprised if interest isn't shown.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:53 pm

brady12 wrote:
Cis Oneill kv, Stanley, Fhs likely at Carleton U.  CCAA Gray Wdsk, Tilley Kv. I don't watch A but very unlikely.

Noah Gillespie in Harvey has already been scouted by a few CCAA schools.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachnb6

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:05 am

AA Players who can play at ACAA or CIS:
Ryley Anthony - ACAA Maybe
Keegan Gray - CIS, ACAA where ever he wants
Joshua Becker - ACAA Maybe
Alex Wilkins - ACAA Maybe

A Players:
Noah Gillespie - ACAA
Zach Foster - ACAA

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballislife9

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:36 pm

Sam Anstey from SJDA
Noah Gillespie from Harvey
Shea Linton from Grand Manan
Zach Foster from Hartland

These are four guys in my mind from A ball that could play at the next level.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/Collage ball.   Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:47 pm

What about Andrew Milner and Will Spaulding from RNS, only in grade 10 and dominating grade 12's.
Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
CoachBuckets

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Coach77 you sound like you are one of those kids. You guys just beat harvey and you've posted about that at least three times now. It's one game settle down. And we are talking about grade 12's. We will talk about kids like you when you are in grade 12.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/Collage ball.   Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:18 pm

I'm a middle school basketball coach. I've been following the league and think that what they are trying to do is great for our province. I thought we were just talking about any A players around here that might have a chance of playing at the next level, sorry if I offended you. I'm just a RNS supporter just like any other Harvey or Hartland supporter.
Back to top Go down
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:18 am

Ballislife9 wrote:
What do you think?

I'm not really sure if this fits under this thread, but its as close as I can find....

Made an interesting observation on Saturday night as I saw UNB pummel Dal at the Currie Center - when we talk about recruiting, AAA players seem to get all the love - So UNB has a pretty good team this year and three of their starters were from traditional AA schools - Ryan Smith (Dalhousie), Jordan Irvine (Woodstock) and Matt Daley (Dalhousie and Bathurst AAA)...and all 3 made major contributions.  Does that mean that all the AAA players are going to better programs or that AA schools offer pretty good opportunities for their players? Just curious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lebronrocks

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:06 am

It should be pointed out that when smith ,daley and irvine played high school , it was under the two tier system. Dalhousie moved up to AAA in Smiths gr 11 and 12 yrs , Daley's gr 10 and 11 yrs ( both yrs in which they finished near or at the top of the NE AAA conference.) Woodstock was also AAA then , losing by 2 to FHS at Aitken Center in Irvines Senior yr. Daley's sr yr he went to BHS to stay at AAA level.
Let's face it , to play CIS level , most players come from AAA level or from AA or A teams that play a AAA schedule , like grand manan did in the Colton Wilson era.
Top AA or A players can flourish at the tier 2 ACAA level , but with a few exceptions they do not have what it takes for CIS ball because they are not playing at a high enough caliber of competition in high school.
Now according to BNB website....there are 52 NB girls playing college ball , 18 in the CIS , 2 in NCAA ( one div 1 and one Div 3)
There are 41 boys plays college ball , 8 in CIS and one NCAa div 1...all the rest of those 93 total men and women are in the ACAA. That's 69% of em.
Of the 41 men , 29 are from AAA high schools....all 9 CIS and NCAA. Players are from AAA schools. Of the 52 women 43 are from AAA schools ( it should be noted that WHS has a number of players here , but WHS was a AAA school when they played) and 9 are from A or AA.
The real question are NB school bball programs at any level doing enough to produce college level players? And question 2 , have high school athletes doing what it takes to be elite players?
Some more math ... 93 total players over 5yrs makes 19 players per yr moving on to play college ball... There are 61 nb high schools with boys basketball teams , and 55 with girls teams that makes 116 high school teams at various levels. Supposing each one averages 4 graduating players per year...that would make 464 graduating players over the last 5yrs(estimate) 93 (20%) of whom moved on to play college level..is that good or bad for NB.....thoughts ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:50 am

lebronrocks wrote:
It should be pointed out that when smith ,daley and irvine played high school , it was under the two tier system. Dalhousie moved up to AAA in Smiths gr 11 and 12 yrs , Daley's gr 10 and 11 yrs ( both yrs in which they finished near or at the top of the NE AAA conference.)  Woodstock was also AAA then , losing by 2 to FHS at Aitken Center in Irvines Senior yr. Daley's sr yr he went to BHS to stay at AAA level.
 Let's face it , to play CIS level , most players come from AAA level or from AA or A teams that play a AAA schedule , like grand manan did in the Colton Wilson era.
 Top AA or A players can flourish at the tier 2 ACAA level , but with a few exceptions they do not have what it takes for CIS ball because they are not playing at a high enough caliber of competition in high school.

I said traditional AA schools. You can't attribute the fact that those guys made it to the three years those schools played in a 2 tier system in NB...that is asinine. I bet you if you look at the strength of their schedules after or before the 2 tiers, they would not be that different. Those programs have always played in AAA tournaments....you think a handful of league games made a difference? So if those players don't play a year or two in AAA, they don't make it? seriously?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Aaa or aa   Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:32 pm

Fact is most of the whs girls who played post high school were during the John Mackey era. He prepared them for basketball after high school and maybe at the expense of a few aa banners. Which method is better nobody really knows.

My guess is if Irvine Daley and smith didn't push themself in the off season they wouldn't be playing cis. The played on solid aa programs but that alone isn't enough to prepare them for cis.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:07 pm

I think you need to look at a lot more then size of school. Do these kids have the drive, opportunities, work ethic and focus to play university (CIS or ACAA).

I've heard ACAA coaches say that kids from smaller programs don't work out but mostly because the player is not ready or willing to make sacrifices to play high level since they've never had to make them. The smaller the pond they come from the more likely they didn't have to work hard/ or drive to improve and have a misinformed sense of place So it really depends on the kid. On the flip side I've heard CIS coaches say that if they can get a good basketball player from NB or a similar athlete or body from Ont or BC. They are more likely to take the one from the larger pool because that kid is happier to have somewhere to play and won't be as entitled as an NB kid who thinks they should be playing.

Again these are generalizations and every case is different. To play CIS regardless of school size you had better be getting top level coaching in and out of season, you had better have a plan in and out of season, you better follow up that plan with the training to execute and you had better find ways to play vs the sort of players you want to beat. OR you better be a genetic freak/anomaly. Can AA and A players do that yes. It generally requires more travel, commitment (time and effort) then in the cases of a lot of AAA players - who in larger centres would be more likely to have immediate access to facilities, high level coaching, competition, competitive playing pools and experiences. Doesn't mean they can't just means they have to go get it.

Now to play ACAA its a little different kettle of fish. You still need all of those things to be a good high end ACAA player on a great ACAA team. But depending on what school, what program and what year of a cycle you can have some kids who played very little high level or any basketball capable of making certain rosters for a year or two if they want.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: aaa   Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:29 pm

You put Foster from Hartland or Gray from Woodstock in a Leo Hayes or Fhs program and they are much more ready to play CIS. Nothing to do with coaching more to do with having to practice against much tougher players every day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Powerball wrote:
You put Foster from Hartland or Gray from Woodstock in a Leo Hayes or Fhs program and they are much more ready to play CIS. Nothing to do with coaching more to do with having to practice against much tougher players every day.

Exactly kids in those other programs have alum and current players as well as university and former university players in Freddy to compete against everyday in practice, mens leauge, open gyms and on outdoor courts (does anybody even do that anymore) . . . kids like Foster or Gray can get some of that at home but really need to play on provincial teams, or travel teams to find and get that sort of competition regularly. They coudl also go to camps or just travel to these centres for these sorts of games in the offseason but either requires much more time, travel and commitment to getting there then kids already centrally located.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Interesting, here is my recollection of the journey to Cis level. Starts early mini, bantam elite, camps every summer, travel to tournaments, coaches who have expectations and commitment , parents willing to support. Middle school more of the same, getting the fitness piece, dealing with physicality, injuries , start to choose sport over other social opportunities. High school, 4 summers with Bnb, lots of travel, coaches who have the skills to develop players, practise and games when others are going on ski holidays or relaxing during holidays, summer jobs not possible unless employer very understanding, they do exist. An item that maybe unique is access to open gyms where at a very early age play against high school varsity and then university players, exceptional opportunity to learn and gain confidence. again coaches willing to make this happen. Time at fitness and strength conditioning becomes essential. The funnel theory is obvious by this point there are only a handful of serious players, even less for girls. Coaching is key, during regular season and summer, poor coaching at either point will be a set back, challenge to over come.
I estimate $12-18 k will cover all the above from about grade 5-12, hundreds of family hours, many miles, some tears, lot of fun, priceless. At university it's like starting over, 25 hrs per week, weights at 7 am, travel throughout the week, max $ is tuition plus fees and coaches recruit every year and you no longer live at home!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unknown1

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:55 pm

@brady12 Love the insight from someone who has clearly been there.

A major key with A and AA players to have success is to have experienced coaches at every level, In bigger cities there are a lot of experiemced, dedicated and educated coaches set in place at every level. The problem with the smaller communities is that a team will only be as good as the parent coaching the team. So unless there is a parent who is in the know basketball wise, there won't be a talented team to pass along to the jv and varsity coaches.

At the A and AA levels there are very few (if any) programs that have developed a culture of putting in the extra work, where at the AAA schools players HAVE to put in the extra work. The competition within practices, games and training develop the mentality that players have to work hard in order to keep their spot in the lineup. This doesn't happen as much on A or AA teams. So how does a player truly develop to their full potential when there isn't an atmosphere of doing what it takes to move to the next level? Gray and Foster are the exceptions because they put in the work in the off season and not because they are being coached by their high school coaches for 3 months out of the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachBuckets

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:00 am

Powerball wrote:

Yes they will be better but what CommonSense is trying to say is that some AA programs play tough schedules like AAA teams do. I agree you have some of those kids coming up through AA that don't get looked at that could play on CIS teams. I've watched the Gray kid score 40 against CNHS and then turn around and drop 40 on kv, Leo Hayes. Yes he may get better on a AAA team but that's what summer teams are for. If a kid has good work ethic, and is always in the gym lifting, getting shots up I don't think it matters where he plays high school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Today at 5:13 am

Back to top Go down

A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next