HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Common Sense

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:16 am

Powerball wrote:
You put Foster from Hartland or Gray from Woodstock in a Leo Hayes or Fhs program and they are much more ready to play CIS. Nothing to do with coaching more to do with having to practice against much tougher players every day.

I totally agree with that, but my question remains the same.....where are all the kids from the "elite" AAA programs playing men's basketball?

Last I heard, nobody had contacted either Gray or Foster about playing post-high school and I find that remarkable....obviously from what we are seeing from these guys at UNB, these players from the "non-elite" programs can certainly play CIS - that's my point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Strange   Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:34 am

Common Sense wrote:
Powerball wrote:
You put Foster from Hartland or Gray from Woodstock in a Leo Hayes or Fhs program and they are much more ready to play CIS. Nothing to do with coaching more to do with having to practice against much tougher players every day.

I totally agree with that, but my question remains the same.....where are all the kids from the "elite" AAA programs playing men's basketball?

Last I heard, nobody had contacted either Gray or Foster about playing post-high school and I find that remarkable....obviously from what we are seeing from these guys at UNB, these players from the "non-elite" programs can certainly play CIS - that's my point.

I would really be curious to know who is being recruited if these two are not. Last I checked they were both starters on the u17 team that finished fourth at nationals this past summer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 am

I think this has more to do with the CIS landscape:

- Overseas players
- OUt of province players needing places to play.
- NCAA kids from Canada who've not enjoyed their experience coming back home.
- Taking 20-21 year olds out of small colleges with 2-3 years of eligibility left.

Even in the AUS this is becoming more and more the norm. Route for lots of kids to play CIS from Atlantic Canada (At least on the guys side) seems to be to play small college and transfer.

With this glut of options and kids out there as much as a I like Gray and Foster do CIS coaches think that they can find a more experienced and tested commodity. One of the things that has reduced my enjoyment of both Men's and Women's CIS (not to the point that I won't watch or support it mind you) is the carosel of players and in some cases coaches. Very difficult to judge who can coach or run a program since talent development and long term planning seem to be taking a back burner to coach and roster turnover. UNless you are a genetic freak most CIS coaches don't seem to want a project or a role player to groom.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:20 pm

Stanley Mayambo has just committed to Carleton. He's a committed athlete who has benefited from a strong youth program at the Y, BNB provincial team programs, and the AAA FHS basketball player factory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:42 pm

Stanley should be good fit at Carleton, great coaching and winning tradition, something not found anywhere in Aus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Unknown1

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:59 pm

Common Sense wrote:
Powerball wrote:

I think that Lebronrocks answered your question about AAA players from elite programs. The BNB website has a list of all of the players playing university basketball.

Could it be possible that Gray and Foster aren't being recruited because they are playing easy schedules? I would say that university coaches aren't willing to go out on a limb for a player who plays a mediocre schedule in their senior year. Look at the 3 players from traditional AA schools on UNB, they all played AAA and played schedules against the top teams in NB because that's what their teams had to do to compete in the end. They were proven at the top level in NB throughout their senior high school season. Unfortunately, a player's high school season is the last bit of research a university coach has to go on, as these players aren't able to play BNB at the end of their senior year. And we all know that the most recent event is the event that is going to stick out in memory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:00 pm

Unknown1 wrote:
Common Sense wrote:
Powerball wrote:

I think that Lebronrocks answered your question about AAA players from elite programs. The BNB website has a list of all of the players playing university basketball.

Could it be possible that Gray and Foster aren't being recruited because they are playing easy schedules? I would say that university coaches aren't willing to go out on a limb for a player who plays a mediocre schedule in their senior year. Look at the 3 players from traditional AA schools on UNB, they all played AAA and played schedules against the top teams in NB because that's what their teams had to do to compete in the end. They were proven at the top level in NB throughout their senior high school season. Unfortunately, a player's high school season is the last bit of research a university coach has to go on, as these players aren't able to play BNB at the end of their senior year. And we all know that the most recent event is the event that is going to stick out in memory.

No being a CIS or CCAA coach I'm going out on the limb here but I'm going to say they don't give a hoot who you play. If they are taking kids from overseas and small colleges sight unseen on resume, then who your Australian Club or Jamcian u17 team played don't mean a hoot.

I would assume that there reticence about players from small schools in NB has less to do with schedule and more to do with unknowns in regards to: coaching/being coached (ie, how a kid responds to their style or level of coaching, how will they be in a competitive practice environment when they aren't the big fish), whether the kid is really driven or just better then those around them, what unique traits am I getting from them that I can't get somewhere else, what are reccomendations of my staff or contacts, can they walk in and play right away or are they are project, am I going to/could I just replace them in my next recruiting class anyway, etc etc.

I'm not speaking about anyone in particular just that I would assume that is more of the rationale then oh they play A or AA so they don't play anyone I better no recruit them. College coaches want to win, if you can help them do that they don't care who you've played.

Coaches want kids who can play, who can excell at an area at their level, can handle the rigors of university student athletics, who competes, who can guard their matchup at that level, . .. the list goes on and on. I think with AA and A players or small school players from anywhere that it comes down to too many unkowns. Which is why players need to do the things needed to eliminate doubt from those coaches minds on their own and not rely on their high school team or season to be the determining factor. If kids want to play at that level go let coaches know, you don't have to wait to be recruited. If you want to play at that level go get some attention, go find out what you need to do . . . do you want to play, compete and win in the ACAA or CIS or do you want to be recruited. That mentality alone could be a deal breaker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:33 pm

So Stan is going to Carleton. Anyone know where the rest of the U17 boys are going? I suspect they could all play ACAA at minimum if they choose to keep playing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.    Today at 9:06 am

Back to top Go down

A boys that can make it in University/collage ball.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2