HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

JV - Varsity debate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: JV - Varsity debate   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Pretty sure coach gray didn't leave them downon jv. It is a known fact they didn't tryout. Had they tried out coach gray would have taken them. Then he would be patting himself on the back for three years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: JV - Varsity debate   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Some other things to consider on this issue:

Evidence - Other then anecdotal belief that keeping a group of kids together at JV could make them stronger, is their evidence to support this. I don't expect scientific charting mind you but at each level of competition what is the rate of successful JV teams translating to successful varsity in the following years? How does that rate compare to the schools who play their best 12 on varsity?

Involvement - If you want to keep more kids involved and learning then having more kids playing at their own developmental level regardless of age would be a better answer. Have a 9-12 Varsity and a 9-12 exhibition team. This way kids who's development doesn't match their chronological age could train and compete together.

Program Authority/Integrity - The school offers a program and entrusts the running of its program to coaches and AD's. Assuming that the varsity team is the top of the pyramid in terms of representing your school, community etc. Who is running the program. If the varsity coach does have control over who plays on his team? If the school isn't assigning players? Who is making decisions in the developmental interest of athletes? Less trained parents? The kids? Doesn't seem to say a lot about the authority, trust or understanding of coaches and AD's if they aren't the ones able to make decisions about their teams composition. If the parents and kids are running the show then your aren't making program decisions/development decisions/basketball decisions. Head coach and AD's look at program-team-athlete in terms of decision making, players and parents have the inverse priorities.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: JV - Varsity debate   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Your point about two 9-12 teams wouldn't be fair to the JVs who want to play for a title
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: JV - Varsity debate   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Ballforlife12345 wrote:
Your point about two 9-12 teams wouldn't be fair to the JVs who want to play for a title

This is true but if the issue is involvement then that might trump winning titles.

Most states/provinces that have JV programs do not have them playing for titles. THey simply play exh schedules to train in order to make varsity teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach474

PostSubject: Re: JV - Varsity debate   Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 pm

Without JV titles there would be no championship week long celebrations at the coaches house. You are all missing the point. Nothing trumps that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HuskiesForever

PostSubject: Re: JV - Varsity debate   Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:42 am

I think Iverson said it best......

Iverson: If I can't play JV, I can't play JV man. If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. I mean … simple as that. It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy … to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about JV. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about JV. I mean, listen, we're talking about JV, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about JV. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about JV , man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about JV. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about JV man. What are we talking about? JV? We're talking about JV, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about JV. We're talking about JV. We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter] We're talking about JV, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about JV right now. We talking about JV... [Interrupted]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: JV - Varsity debate   Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:23 am

HuskiesForever wrote:
I think Iverson said it best......

Iverson: If I can't play JV, I can't play JV man. If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. I mean … simple as that. It ain't about that... I mean it's... It's not about that... At all. You know what I'm saying I mean... But it's...it's easy … to, to talk about... It's easy to sum it up when you're just talking about JV. We're sitting in here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we in here talking about JV. I mean, listen, we're talking about JV, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about JV. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about JV , man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about JV. I know I supposed to be there. I know I'm supposed to lead by example... I know that... And i'm not.. I'm not shoving it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about JV man. What are we talking about? JV? We're talking about JV, man. [laughter from the media crowd] We're talking about JV. We're talking about JV. We ain't talking about the game. [more laughter] We're talking about JV, man. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, you see me play don't you? You've seen me give everything I've got, right? But we're talking about JV right now. We talking about JV... [Interrupted]

This is the most intelligent thing you have said all year...Huskies!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JV - Varsity debate   Today at 6:09 pm

Back to top Go down

JV - Varsity debate
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3