HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Boys 4A Second Ranking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:10 pm

Some changes coming to the top 10. Many scores are missing, most notably SWC and LCI. Deadline is today so predictions are coming. If these 3 have all their scores in it should be an easy top 3 to pick.

1. BM
2. BOB
3. HA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Rankings    Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:56 pm

I would also say lci should be 4 if that is the top 3 and it would be a real fun one between Ainlay and McNally if they played after having seen both teams play
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:00 pm

This was far more difficult than 3A. I'm going to look at this again later and see what I've missed. Part of this is based on the first ranking and part is based on where I think they should be which sometimes doesn't connect. I'm not sure BOB has had enough quality wins to stay at 2 but they haven't lost since being ranked 3. I haven't used that logic with every team. Cardston beats LCI, SWC and RS but loses to Magrath 3 times who lost to Paul Kane but beat SWC. Its a mess. Anyone else want to throw a guess at it?

1. Bishop McNally (13-2)
Notable wins: OL, RS, LCI, Magrath, WA
Notable losses: SWC, FL

2. BOB (13-3)
Notable wins: RS, EM, WA
Notable losses: SWC, FL

3. HA (13-1)
Notable wins: LCI, Magrath, STFX, RS
Notable losses: RS

4. LCI (10-4)
Notable wins: FL, Cardston, SWC, Raymond, Bev Facey
Notable losses: Paul Kane, Cardston, HA, BM

5. SWC (14-2)
Notable wins: BM, FL x2, St Francis CAL, BOB, RS, OL
Notable losses: Magrath, LCI

6. FL (12-5)
Notable wins: BM, Magrath, Raymond
Notable losses: SWC, WA, LCI

7. RS (11-5)
Notable wins: HA, OL, STFX, PK
Notable losses: BM, HA, BOB, Cardston, SWC

8. OL (12-5)
Notable wins: St Francis CAL, Paul Kane, StFX
Notable losses: RSx2, SWC, BM

9. EM (10-3)
Notable wins: WA, Bishop Grandin, Notre Dame CAL
Notable losses: BOB, St Francis CAL, BM

10. Magrath (13-7)
Notable wins: Cardston x3, Raymond, SWC
Notable losses: HA x2, Paul Kane, BM, FL

HM. Cardston (10-6)
Notable wins: Raymond x3, StFX, LCI, RS
Notable losses: Magrath x3, JP, LCI

HM. WA (11-4)
Notable wins: Bishop Grandin, FL, St Francis CAL
Notable losses: Notre Dame CAL, BM, EM, BOB

HM. StFX (14-7)
Notable wins: St Francis CAL, Bev Facey
Notable losses: RS, HA, Cardston, Bev Facey, OL

HM. Paul Kane (13-6)
Notable wins: Magrath, LCI, JP
Notable losses: RS, Leduc, BOB, OL, JP, Bev Facey

HM. Holy Trinity (ED) (14-1)
Notable wins: none
Notable losses: OL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 am

12321 I think that may be a pretty good picture of what may happen. I think mcnally is number 1, but I would put ainlay ahead of bob and put bob at 3 with Lci at 4. The Lci losses to paul Kane early on and Cardston may stick with them a little bit. I'm not sure that Cardston or paul Kane would beat Lci again. Tough call though lots of parody throughout the province. Now that we are well into the season I think we will start to see teams unfold for what they really are. December is a tough month and teams can lose games that they wouldn't lose later in the season. I don't think shep will beat ainlay again, after seeing mcnally at the Lci tourney I'm not sure anyone Calgary or south will beat them they looked very good. Father lacombe looked beatable though. I do think down the stretch though the top 4 will be the 4 you have listed. Swc from what I have seen of them just didn't look to be quite in the same league as the others in the top 5. Perhaps something wasn't quite right in sugar bowl but a loss is a loss and ainlay and mcnally did to Lci and magrath what swc could not do. can anyone in Calgary comment on that? will swc ride back up or was beating McNally and bob something they won't likely do again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:31 am

I believe you need to rank who is playing well or who is riding a hot streak at the time. McNally is hot and should be #1. HA is coming off a Sugar Bowl win and should be #2. I have a hard time ranking BOB at 3 as they did not play anyone through this stretch and their only big win is against RS and everyone has been beating them lately. I like the top three in each of the regions.

1.BM
2.HA
3.LCI
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:49 am

I agree. HA looked great at the sugar bowl and are probably better than BOB but I wonder if the rankers will drop BOB since they haven't lost since the last ranking. I don't think they will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Maybe bob hasn't lost to anybody, but their two notable losses as ou have them are to teams that Lci has beat. So in terms of comparing the two maybe Lci should be number 3. I really think Lci is the legit 3 but I still places them at 4 more because of a loss to Cardston in this ranking period. If they lost to an hm team and bob hasn't lost at all its pretty tough to put Lci ahead of bob even though that may be the case by years end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:43 pm

And I suppose it can't be overlooked that while Lci did have a loss to Cardston, they also beat them by 30 a week later in sugar bowl. So they really haven't had a bad loss since paul Kane.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:30 am

LCI is maybe a 4 as they haven't won a tourney yet; but have some quality wins. They are a good team and quite deep but not higher than 4 and have some quality wins except in the big games. This is top 5 for me-- after that a crap shoot.

1. McNally
2. Ainley
3. BOB
4. LCI
5. SWC
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:51 pm

If they taken the approach where BOB is bumped out of 2 by HA, I'm sure they'll bump BM out of 1 for HA too since the same ranking philosophy would apply. If that's the case it will be HA followed by BM, then BOB, LCI and SWC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:51 pm

I still don't like BOB at "3". Let's not reward a team for not playing anyone in the top five. They have losses to Lacombe and SWC and did beat Shep up here in Edmonton. LCI was busy beating SWC and then losing to McNally but at least they were playing top teams during the ranking period. I like LCI at "3".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:09 pm

I like LCI at 3 too but there is zero chance of them being higher than BOB and there is zero chance of SWC being higher than LCI. Its either got to be BM, BOB, HA, LCI, SWC or HA, BM, BOB, LCI, SWC in that order as the top 5. It does make a lot of sense to give #1 to HA based on only 1 loss. Record should trump the subjective criteria.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:12 pm

What are the chances of Magarth and Cardston both making the top 10? Who would get bumped out if that were the case? And if they gave HA #1 would it be completely inconsistent to give 6 and 7 loss teams and higher ranking than a team with half the losses?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Definitely Magrath around 8-10 but Cardston is maybe a HM at best; yes they beat Raymond 3x but really I think they peaked early. Cardston beat LCI at Magrath but then got pounded at MAgrath tourney by them.

It will be interesting to say the least. I could see HA at #1 but if CCH is anywhere in the rankings i will literally puke!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:29 pm

Interesting perspective treyfactor. Cardston did get beat by magrath in their own tourney but have played them twice since then and both have been close games. Id say they are fairly close to eachother. To say that Cardston is an hm at best because they got pounded by magrath and then to talk about puking if cch gets any recognition is a bit silly. Did cch not beat magrath in league play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:36 pm

Interesting perspective treyfactor. Cardston did get beat by magrath in their own tourney but have played them twice since then and both have been close games. Id say they are fairly close to eachother. To say that Cardston is an hm at best because they got pounded by magrath and then to talk about puking if cch gets any recognition is a bit silly. Did cch not beat magrath in league play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:40 pm

By the way I do agree that magrath belongs 8-10 but Cardston I think although a bit inconsistent have won some games that keep them hm. Beat shep and split with Lci. If cch hasn't done more than a magrath win than maybe they haven't done quite enough to move up. St. Fx should drop out of top ten. Lacombe may stick around 7-9. I don't know about others in that range.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:41 pm

If both were to be top 10, it would mean EM would drop to HM and if they take that approach, Magrath would have to go higher than RS. I think that also sees HA ahead of BOB but behind BM. I can't see SWC dropping to 7th as they have to be ahead of FL. Cardston has to be ahead of RS who has to be ahead of OL. What about this:

1. BM
2. HA
3. BOB
4. LCI
5. SWC
6. FL
7. Magrath
8. Cardston
9. RS
10. OL

HM EM
HM STFx
HM Paul Kane
HM WA
HM HT Ed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 am

CCH - League play 1st game of season in early Decemeber that got a lucky one and you want to keep them ranked... I thought rankings were to recognize provincially what you have done lately.  I always forget though that CCH has themselves somewhere in the rankings throughout the season and then when it comes time for zones...nada...But their JVs always do well cause they pull all their grade 11s down in zones to look great.
CCH should not be an HM there are too many good quality teams in the province.  There my yearly CCH rant is done.

12321 that looks pretty bang on-- I think Cardston might be a spot or two down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:42 pm

I agree that cch shouldn't be ranked and magrath should. I just thought it was a bit short sighted to be singing magraths praises and blast cch in the same sentence. so I just wanted to point it out that while cch may be not a great team, they were still good enough to beat magrath at least once. Yes early December games are tough but it's still a loss. Magrath has definitely shown that they are a much better team than that game would indicate. But, now that Dino isn't the ranker for the south I think it's less likely that we will see cch ranked when they shouldn't be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:09 pm

Having Dino on the ranking committee did help us in the past though when it came time for the wild card sports for provincials and so it was in the best interest of the south; so I shouldnt be too harsh on them; although I am curious as to why they can run 1 athletic program from 2 schools. I would think it is a point where it should be separate; just a question..?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:24 pm

I understand there has been some struggles with two separate campuses. I cant really speak to that though. If they didn't have a catholic school on the west side I'm sure the catholic system would lose some west side kids to chinook and if they had a catholic school apart from cch it probably wouldn't have the size to compete with the big schools, much like Immanuel Christian, but cch would lose enough west side kids that it would hurt their program. As it stands though isn't cch the biggest school in Lethbridge? Or is chinook bigger now? Either way I suppose it's off topic. But yes it's nice to have as many south teams as possible in the rankings mix to argue for an extra prov birth. I'd hate to only see the south get two I think 3 is good for this year though. Lci will remain a force and win against many top teams. If magrath can continue to win and if Cardston can beat top teams then they should both be ranked. I still suspect that magrath will move into the 8-10 range and Cardston will stay hm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Chinook has the most students. CCH will drop off the HM. I miss the rivalry from the Dino era. I hope it returns.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Cch   Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:55 pm

Yes Dino kinda did make for a good villain for the other schools one question what to do with the fact magrath beat sir winston in the end I guess that Winston has a better body of work
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:39 pm

SWC has to be ahead of FL who has to be ahead of Magrath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Boys 4A Second Ranking   Today at 3:07 pm

Back to top Go down

Boys 4A Second Ranking
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next