HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:26 pm

It won't be a classic. Does anyone have a draw for the Medicine Hat High Tournament the same weekend?

Pool A: Coaldale Christian, West Central, Immanuel
Pool B: Chinook, Livingstone, Strathcona Christian
Pool C: CHURCHILL, Kate Andrews, Robert Thirsk
Pool D: Parkland Immanuel, Ponoka, Stirling

Round Robin Play - Friday, January 29th
9:00 @WCHS: Coaldale Christian vs Immanuel
10:50 @WCHS: CHURCHILL vs Kate Andrews
12:40 @WCHS: Ponoka vs Stirling
12:40@Wilson: Chinook vs Livingstone
2:30 @WCHS: Kate Andrews vs Robert Thirsk
2:30 @Wilson: Immanuel vs West Central
4:20 @WCHS: Parkland Immanuel vs Ponoka
4:20 @ Wilson: Livingstone vs Strathcona Christian
6:10 @WCHS: Robert Thirsk vs CHURCHILL
6:10 @ Wilson: West Central vs Coaldale Christian
8:00 @ WCHS: Strathcona Christian vs Chinook
8:00 @ Wilson: Stirling vs Parkland Immanuel
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop watcher

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Hat high allready had thier tourney. It was won by Regina Christian. They beat Immanuel Christian in the final. Hat high took third over catholic central I believe. My money is on the 2A teams from the south taking this tourney. Either ICHS or Stirling.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Semi finals
ICHS vs SCA
WC vs Stirling

Finals
WC over SCA

My mistake. Not the Hat High tournament. Its the 16 team tournament in Medicine Hat every year the weekend after the break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop watcher

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:57 pm

If WCHS were still 3A where would you see them being ranked? Does either Stirling or ICHS have any wins over ranked 3A teams this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:52 am

I would think WC would be just ahead of SCA - perhaps 4th or at the very least somewhere in the 3-7 range. They also lost to Leduc by 10 and that's really about it. WC is a step back in 4A but they would for sure be contenders in 3A.

There aren't a ton of games to compare ICHS and Stirling to 3A. Neither have played ranked 3A teams. The best comparison for ICHS would be a 13 pt win over WR Myers who is HM. WR Myers is HM primarily due to an 8 pt loss to Wetaskiwin since they don't have a lot to compare to either. ICHS has a good win over Hat High so there is some third level comparisons to 3A (ie. W beats X, X loses to Y who also lost the Z so is W ahead of Z?). Tough comparisons to make. Hat High beat WC too so if WC were ranked in 3A there would be that to consider. For sure they're slightly ahead of WR Myers, maybe 8-10. Maybe HM too. Hard to say.

Stirling has the same problem. They are 20 pts up on ICHS, had a 14 pt win over McCoy and a 25 pt win over WR Myers. I'd say maybe around 6-8. Second level comparisons with McCoy are a loss to #5 Cochrane by 42 and #6 Wetaskiwin beat WR Myers by 8 early in the season. Myers beat McCoy by 15. That's about it for top 10 3A comparisons.

Shows how important a schedule is. If these teams were to play 3A and wanted to get ranked they would need to change their schedules up so they saw other top 10 3A teams or at least games that could be compared to top 10 3A teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:43 am

Do you have the results from the tourney?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:01 am

It's next weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:15 am

Oh ok. My bad. I didn't read close enough. I assumed it was this week because the draw was posted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop watcher

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:21 pm

Anywhere online to see results?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:39 am

I heard it was Immanual vs Stirling in the final as was expected. Didn't hear who won? One of these two teams will win the 2A banner guaranteed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cash9

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:01 pm

I wouldn't say Immanuel Christian or Stirling guaranteed for 2A provincials. Heritage Christian looks very strong and should be considered in that race. 2 or 3 others could take a run too. Depends on injuries,depth, and officiating will play a role. Having provincials take place in Drumheller will have very different officiating style than would be with south officials, or Calgary officials , or Edmonton officials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:09 pm

Immanual vs Stirling in the final as was expected? Always a possibility but not an expectation except by maybe Immanual and Stirling. I didn't see the games but have been told they played extremely well. ICHS will definitely go up and Stirling will drop but it sounds like they'll both be right there at the top of 2A. The semi finals couldn't have been closer. Tough losses by both WC and Chinook. I certainly was expecting SCA to have shown better but I guess they were a little underwhelming even in their wins. It looks possible they might be over ranked in 3A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop watcher

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:17 pm

I was not surprised at all to see those two teams in the final. In fact I do believe I called it. Seems like some good basketball was played. Makes me wonder why WCH went to the 4A league?? It seems like the other league might have been a better fit for them, and probably for Chinook as well. Throw W.R Myers in the discussion and you would probably have a pretty decent, competitive league.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:32 am

Those 5 teams would make a good league this year but thats with WR Myers, Chinook and WC rebuilding and Stirling and ISHS at a high. And don't forget the rest of the teams in that league. They would have to play them too. I can't think of a worse long term strategy for basketball development for WC and Chinook. WR Myers leaving the south league was also a terrible idea. Accepting mediocrity isn't the solution.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoop watcher

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:15 am

High school teams don't "rebuild". The schools with good solid programs are usually good long term with a few down years here and there as talent cycles through. (Case in point Raymond the past few years.) We disagree on strategy. Playing competitive ball night in and night out is a better solution than getting it handed to you night in and night out. WCH never won a single league title in the Deep South league to my knowledge. I can understand the desire to play at the highest level possible, but is it really a fit? Didn't LCI just beat Churchill by 60+ ?? The point I was trying to make is that Churchill's results in the 4A league seem to indicate they are in over their heads. They left that league once allready. I can't help but think several more years of two or three league wins might make them reconsider. Your earlier admission that Churchhill is a step behind at the 4A level is very true. They are a better fit at 3A. Being part of a league that forces them to play 4A robs thier kids of a chance to contend for a provincial title. I am also not so sure that Immanuel or Stiriling would not beat WCH in any given year. We do agree that Myers decision to join the Med Hat 3A loop was a mistake. I see a myers, wch, iChs, shs, Chinook, and possibly picture butte being a pretty good league with parity at least for the next several years.
I am sure it will never happen. Just thinking out loud.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:56 am

Rebuild, regroup, cycle through - semantics. I agree with a lot of what you're saying but if WC was in that league in any of the last 3 years before this year it would not have been nearly as good for them as playing in the 4A league. No question about that. It looks like a good idea this year but that's 1 of the last 4. And don't forget Stirling is having the same kinds of blowout games in their league play this year. No doubt WC and WR Myers should be playing 3A provincially. Last year was the set up WC needed but I also get why the league wants what they want. I honestly don't know what the answer is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:38 pm

12321 wrote:
I would think WC would be just ahead of SCA - perhaps 4th or at the very least somewhere in the 3-7 range. They also lost to Leduc by 10 and that's really about it. WC is a step back in 4A but they would for sure be contenders in 3A.

There aren't a ton of games to compare ICHS and Stirling to 3A. Neither have played ranked 3A teams. The best comparison for ICHS would be a 13 pt win over WR Myers who is HM. WR Myers is HM primarily due to an 8 pt loss to Wetaskiwin since they don't have a lot to compare to either. ICHS has a good win over Hat High so there is some third level comparisons to 3A (ie. W beats X, X loses to Y who also lost the Z so is W ahead of Z?). Tough comparisons to make. Hat High beat WC too so if WC were ranked in 3A there would be that to consider. For sure they're slightly ahead of WR Myers, maybe 8-10. Maybe HM too. Hard to say.

Stirling has the same problem. They are 20 pts up on ICHS, had a 14 pt win over McCoy and a 25 pt win over WR Myers. I'd say maybe around 6-8. Second level comparisons with McCoy are a loss to #5 Cochrane by 42 and #6 Wetaskiwin beat WR Myers by 8 early in the season. Myers beat McCoy by 15. That's about it for top 10 3A comparisons.

Shows how important a schedule is. If these teams were to play 3A and wanted to get ranked they would need to change their schedules up so they saw other top 10 3A teams or at least games that could be compared to top 10 3A teams.

No disrespect to Winston Churchill but do you still think they would be ranked in the top 10 if they were 3A?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:56 pm

WC has been playing reasonably well. Some solid wins including Medicine Hat. They lost to Stirling by 1 and another bad loss to Golden BC but that is a very talented team. I know Golden were beaten easily by Chestermere and again by Cochrane so maybe not top 5 but I think they could fit in at the bottom part of 3A which is probably where Stirling and ICHS would be too if they were 3A. They did beat SCA which is currently #4 in 3A and probably will stay there this next ranking so I would definitely put them right in there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw   Today at 4:57 pm

Back to top Go down

WCIT 2015 Tournament Draw
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1