HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Good referees

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
poolie

PostSubject: Good referees   Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:21 am

Good referees in my opinion are few are far between. I think that the biggest problem with the way we react to referees calls  is when they start changing the way they are calling the game. Instead of calling the reach in fouls early and getting control of the game they wait until things get way too physical and people are sprawled on the floor and are starting to get hurt. In my opinion warn them once hands off, then start blowing the whistle. Quit warning again and again to get out of the painted area and hands off. Dont mistake me for someone who wants a soft game. A good clean tough phyical game with lots of body contact is fine with me. Play them tough and straight up. It is the reach in and slapping  no calls that drive me crazy. Everyone in the gym can hear the big slap except for the guy with the whistle. The other type of call that drives me crazy is the trailing referee that is 80 feet away and he makes the phantom foul call that happened under the basket. The guy who had the best look was the other referee standing under the basket on the baseline and he failed to make the call.  All of the constant warnings should end after mini. When you are coaching a game it is a joy to have referees that have control of the game and you hardly notice them on the floor. In my opinion the game is about the players. I have seen way to often that a referee trys to be the center of attention and is very combative. We as coaches are also combative when our concerns are relayed to referees deaf ears.  This is not meant to be bashing session on bad referees. I would say that probably 85 per cent of all  technicals given to coaches are warranted for what they said to the referee. This thread is meant to be for praising good referees. In response to this thread , Please no personal attacks on any referees by name in this forum. I will start the praising session by saying that Jim Watters  in the Miramichi area in my opinion fits this discription of letting the game be played.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:30 am

Initially I I was not interested in sharing on this subject, must be age thing, certainly I have had opinions in the past. Officiating has got to be a most thankless job, yet a key component in all competitive sports. They have good days when no one remembers who did the game and days where some think it is noteworthy and even take the time to write a column questioning their capability and motives. Such is the column in today's Gleaner referencing the Trio who officiated the varsity boys Fhs vs Leo at Mike Fitz EXHibition game last week. In case you have not had the pleasure of watching these 2teams and indeed other FhsvsLeo teams compete it is an excellent rivalry. Sometimes the competition does get out of hand not suggesting it did in this last go, but anyone officiating any match involving these 2 schools best be paying attention to their role or things can escalate. Once you have read the article others may have something to say, for me it's still 3 refs calling the game as they saw fit, hardly news worthy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:45 am

brady12 wrote:
Initially I I was not interested in sharing on this subject, must be age thing, certainly I have had opinions in the past. Officiating has got to be a most thankless job, yet a key component in all competitive sports. They have good days when no one remembers who did the game and days where some think it is noteworthy and even take the time to write a column questioning their capability and motives. Such is the column in today's Gleaner referencing the Trio who officiated the varsity boys Fhs vs Leo at Mike Fitz EXHibition game last week. In case you have not had the pleasure of watching these 2teams and indeed other FhsvsLeo teams compete it is an excellent rivalry.  Sometimes the competition does get out of hand not suggesting it did in this last go, but anyone officiating any match involving these 2 schools best be paying attention to their role or things can escalate. Once you have read the article others may have something to say, for me it's still 3 refs calling the game as they saw fit, hardly news worthy.

Mind posting that article?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:21 am

https://www.telegraphjournal.com/daily-gleaner/story/41065909/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:23 am

Red Auerbach wrote:
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/daily-gleaner/story/41065909/

Thanks. Unfortunately I need a subscription to read it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:25 am

When it comes to Lions and Kats hoops, don’t let zebras ruin it
BRUCE HALLIHAN Fredericton Daily Gleaner 29 Jan 2015 9:32am
I don’t know who’s drawn the basketball officiating assignment for the Lions Den tonight and I don’t particularly care.

I only care that you realize the players aren’t made of porcelain.

I won’t be there – I’ll be covering the New Brunswick men’s and women’s curling championships in Fredericton Junction – but I do care that the FHS Teed Saunders Doyle Black Kats and Leo Hayes Nasis Y’s Men’s Lions get a fair shake with so much at stake.

I don’t have a dog (or in this case, a cat) in the fight, but let me remind you, this is kind of a big deal.

Top seed in the Western Conference will be on the line when the archrivals tip off at 8 p.m. at Leo Hayes High School.

First place is even more valuable this season because FHS, Leo Hayes and the Kennebecasis Valley Crusaders – in an ever-changing order – are considered the top three teams in the province. Only two of them can get to Harbour Station in Saint John for the provincial final on Feb. 21.

The Lions won 77-71 at FHS on Nov. 28, so they start tonight’s game with a six-point advantage.

If they win again, they earn the right to host the first round on the playoff trail. If they lose by seven, they don’t.

The Black Kats certainly think a seven-point victory is doable, especially after beating the Lions 81-72 in the seventh annual Mike Fitz Memorial Game on Saturday night at the Richard J. Currie Center.

The Kats seemed to want it more and played better as a team – and they were rewarded.

But there were some 1,200 fans in the seats and they weren’t rewarded – they were cheated.

So were the players and so were the coaches who spend hours upon hours in the gym practising and preparing and honing their skills.

It’s about them.

It’s not about the referees. Unfortunately, it was on this night – of all nights! A night when fans flock to the Currie centre for the cause: to honour the late Mike Fitzgerald and his family.

“Mikey Fitz” was a likable little point guard who played for both schools. He died of brain cancer in 2008 at age 16.

We promote and pump up this game each year and we always will.

On this night, the usual suspects were in the stands, the ones who attend every basketball game between the FHS and Leo Hayes boys because it’s, hands down, the best sporting rivalry in the city.

But there were also a number of fans who were there to support the Mike Fitz Memorial Fund, and this was their first exposure to the FHS-Leo Hayes boys basketball rivalry.

I heard one woman wonder aloud, “Is it always like this?”

Well, yes and no.

It’s always intense and it’s always emotional and it almost comes down to the final few minutes and an untimely turnover or two.

And you’ll almost always hear Lions head coach John Hickey screaming from the sidelines.

Hickey is regarded as a CIS-level coach, but he’s also known as a referee baiter, trying to intimidate the men (and women) in stripes with scowls and snarls and arms folded in defiance as he rolls his eyes.

But on this night, his verbal pokes and jabs were justified.

FHS head coach Mike King, who’s much better at keeping his composure, looked exasperated too, and threw up his arms on more than one occasion.

The reason? The referees never stopped blowing the whistle.

I wasn’t there in a working capacity (Bill Hunt was on the beat), so I won’t name names and recite which ref called players for what when.

Honestly, I’m still trying to figure out the why part.

One problem – arguably the biggest problem – is there were three of them instead of the usual two.

They all saw the game from different angles, as we all do, but they were like a three-headed, six-eyed monster hell-bent on calling ticky-tacky fouls.

“This is ridiculous!” someone yelled.

“Let them play!” urged another.

I spotted a friend in the crowd and, well, here’s our text exchange:

Me: Nice crowd.

Him: Yes.

Me: Referees are whistle happy.

Him: So bad. Foul festival!

Me: And it’s getting worse.

Him: Agreed.

That’s a pretty accurate summation in 16 words, no?

Now, I’m not implying the Black Kats and Lions are angels and always play nice.

While they may respect each other, they don’t like each other.

Sometimes, that leads to trash talking and pushing and shoving. Fine. Hand out technical fouls and warn the coaches to get/keep their players under control and you’ve restored order quickly.

But don’t aggravate testosterone-filled teenagers by calling phantom fouls every other possession.

If you show restraint and use common sense for 40 minutes, Saturday’s debacle will just be water under the Battle of the Bridge.

•••

Scott Ostler of the San Francisco Chronicle, on the first hint of Deflategate: “When Bill Belichick presented Tom Brady the game ball, and he folded it and put it in his wallet.”

•••

Seattle Times reader Bill Littlejohn, with an 11th-hour suggestion for Super Bowl halftime: “How about Air Supply?”

Bruce Hallihan 
can be reached at 458-6442 or hallihan.bruce@dailygleaner.com. His column appears each Thursday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ForceHimLeft

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 pm

Anyone witness this? Who were the 3 referees.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fortheloveofthegame

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:07 am

yikes thats a pretty rough article. These aren't professional referees here guys. not to mention that the referees aren't going out to be the centre of attention, however, there was a reason there were three officials I'd almost guarantee. in the end though that is neither here nor there. Honestly after reading that article I can't say I'm particularly surprised that there are so many problems recruiting referees. If this is the route people want to go though do not be surprised if there are no referees left to do the games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tommy15

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:01 pm

I think by definition they are in fact "professional"

They are the ONLY people in the gym getting paid

It was abysmal as was the subsequent game at LHHS Where the TWO refs decided early on it was best to side with LHHS

It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fortheloveofthegame

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:59 pm

If we assume they are professionals I would hope they get paid enough to live off of. Which they don't. And don't get me wrong I'm not advocating to pay officals more then they already are. The majority of officals are not refereeing for the money but because they love the game and understand if they don't do it then no one else is going to volunteer to officate espeically if the job they do is going to be questioned in the paper the next day. If the goal is to scare away possible officals then articles like this would definetly do it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that most officals care just as much about the game as any other person be it a player, coach, or parent. When I say game I do not mean the individual game but the sport in general. These indivudals are human of course and will have off days but the same can be said of the kids playing the games they are officating. it might be worth saying that just as the kids are learning the game of basketball even at the highest varsity level officals are still learning how to call a game and if the people in the know (I.E. the assignor or if there was one the supervisor) think they did a good job they will let them know if not then it will be used as a learning oppurtunity.
In the end I agree with one thing in the article the game was not about the players or the final score.... or the amount of fouls called
Back to top Go down
View user profile
celtic

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:18 am

Tommy15 wrote:
I think by definition they are in fact "professional"

They are the ONLY people in the gym getting paid

It was abysmal as was the subsequent game at LHHS Where the TWO refs decided early on it was best to side with LHHS

It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Tommy...when are you going to put the stripes on? Sounds like fun officiating a 2hr game where you get heckled the whole time but the bonus is you can come out rich at the end of the night...$35-$40 bucks...yeehaa!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:29 pm

I'm sure that this thread will get some love after this weekend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fortheloveofthegame

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:23 pm

heres to hoping its about how exceptional the refereeing was
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:49 am

Wondering how it will go in Stj area, not known for real depth in officiating yet hosting regional AAA boys and jv boys championship could be long weekend. Does Nbiaa think about this, few years ago they had same challenge, locals trotted out a relic from 1960s he was so out of his element, did not know that the time to get ball cross half had gone from 10 to 8 seconds, when coach challenged him he gave coach a technical foul. Championsip game was decided by 3 pts..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:21 am

Think this statement could be made about lots of areas.

Woodstock, JCS both hosting regionals this weekend and AAA JV girls in CNHS.

Fredericton, Stanley, Harvey all hosting regionals as well.

Kids/coaches better focus on controlling controlables and let the rest sort itself out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good referees   Today at 9:00 am

Back to top Go down

Good referees
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1