HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

After attending the CIS Final 8, I have come to the conclusion...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: After attending the CIS Final 8, I have come to the conclusion...   Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:57 pm

that free throw shooting in this country is PITIFUL. What should a team shoot from the line? I know you aren't going to make all of them, but what is a realistic % ? 70% ? 75% ? Does your team spend adequate time practing FTS ?? I just know many points were left at the line all weekend....Cape Breton shot 4/10 against Calgary...may have cost them the game.

Other random thoughts:

Elliot was fantastic...he was Carletons most consistant player all weekend. Against Sask. he was looking to score right at the start. For not being a 'big' guy, he was agressive and took the ball to the hoop with no fear against a big Sask. team - he was player of the game...I think he had 23 and he can shoot FTS.

Cape Breton - This team won the consolation, but I think they were the third best team, behind Sask & Carleton. They blew a halftime lead against Calgary. Not to sound like a racist - but the African American players on CB seemed to argue EVERY single call...it got tiring after awhile. Just didn't seem to be a lot of chemistry on that team. Other than the home team CB had the most fans...and had a lot of support. And of course another NBer (Jim Charters) coaches them.

Lakehead - won their way in, but I don't know how. They were terrible - but they actually led UBC at halftime. Then to start the second half, UBC went on a 21-0 run. Thats right 21-0. Hopefully we will see two AUS teams next year..

Sask - was really impressive, they deserved to win, their guard play was outstanding, and they shot the ball well. In the first half against Carleton they were 8-17 from behind the arc.

I had floor seats all weekend. I was suprised at how physical they play was, especially away from the ball, you really don't get to see that on TV because they are focusing on the ball. The refs let them play, and I thought they did a good job. You really have to be in great physical shape to play with those boys.

After Calgary & Carleton lost in the Semis - they went out together for a few 'pops' at an establishment. Well, there were 5 UBC players at the same establishment. I doubt it would have made a difference, but if I'm playing for the National Championship the next day - I think the bar can wait 24hrs.

Now the tournament returns to the Metro Center the next two years. Kind of ironic - the three years it was held in Ottawa, Carleton only won once. Dave Smart was happy to 'win to get in' instead of having to use the 'host' spot.

I had a great time - meet some crazy UBC fans - I suggest if you get a chance to go - GO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: After attending the CIS Final 8, I have come to the conclusion...   Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Great Report GM thanks....watched some of the games (webcast and on TV) even though they were on opposite the NCAA tourney ....
Free throws matter ?? What a shocker.... :-)

I do find it hard to believe that UBC players would be in a pub the night before a championship (even if only for a little while).....wow...you'd think at that level they'd know better or that there would be team preparation activities ( team meals , walk throughs, game films or something like that....not to mention lots and lots of rest ??

Shows what I know...

Anyway , thanks for the info...gonna have to make a reservation for the metro center next year...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: After attending the CIS Final 8, I have come to the conclusion...   Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:04 pm

A couple other things I noticed:

If two free throws are awarded, no one lines up for the first one. Not sure I like that...I think if you don't line up for the first one, you shouldn't be able to line up for the second one, just my opinion. It's almost like having a 'mini' timeout.

No one puts their arms up, even playing zone...I guess I'm old school.

The #8 seed - UQAM (Univ. of Que at Montreal) - had a female coaching them. Suppossedly, the only female to coach a mens university team in all of North America...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: After attending the CIS Final 8, I have come to the conclusion...   Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Olga Hrycak has been coaching UQAM for several yrs now and doea a great job. They have been nationally ranked on more than one occassion in her tenure .
She gave a session at a basketball clinic I attended a few yrs ago and was very good. Interesting to know she is the only one of her kind in North America.... :-)

I agree on the not lining up for foul shots thing...if stepping in the lane when a player is getting ready to shoot is considered disconcerting then not lining up should be considered disconcerting as well.....if you aint lined up for the first one you shouldn't be able to distract a shooter by lining up for the second....consistancy for both shots....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
student

PostSubject: Re: After attending the CIS Final 8, I have come to the conclusion...   Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:52 am

Yes I have noticed some things on those CIS games. The biggest observation is that there are too few games covered on Cdn tv. I would love to see more games. Another thing I heard somebody else talk to me about is are the coaches picking players that are a true #1, #2, #3, and on, or are they looking at several good athletes that are 6'7" with common skills? We thought that the champs displayed a better level of specialization for each position. Hard to guard smalls and strong bigs to fulfill more traditional roles. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: After attending the CIS Final 8, I have come to the conclusion...   Today at 5:13 am

Back to top Go down

After attending the CIS Final 8, I have come to the conclusion...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1