HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Baller22w

PostSubject: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Who are some elite players around the province on each high school boys and girls team that do not play summer ball and could go CIS or CIAA(possibly NCAA?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:50 pm

There are very few real elite players in NB and there is no one in this category who doesn't play in summer. If you are not getting better, you are getting worse!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Carr WHS   Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:26 pm

brady12 wrote:
There are very few real elite players in NB and there is no one in this category who doesn't play in summer. If you are not getting better, you are getting worse!

Kyla Carr from WHS is one. I think she scored 26 last night against the FHS basketball factory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:35 pm

What about Alex Wilkins from Fundy? He's pretty good and doesn't play summer ball. Ben Gray from Woodstock played for STU and he never played provincial ball. I disagree with u Brady12 that u have to play BNB to be an elite player in the province
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:12 pm

Playing is playing it doesnt have to be bnb. There are summer programs besides bnb. As long as your playing at a high level it doesnt matter where. I guess it all depends on your definition of elite. If you can play at university after high school that's elite enough for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bigcityguy

PostSubject: Carr WHS   Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:28 pm

I may be wrong but I think Carr is playing CIS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:46 am

I don't understand the question. Are you trying to say there are elite players being overlooked by BNB when selecting provincial teams or that this province has had CIS caliber players that choose not to play during the summer?

On the boys side the reality is NB is producing 1-3 CIS players per year. Lately its been closer to 1 than 3 unfortunately. The majority have been from AAA schools but there are also former AA & A single athletes that have been dominate at the CIS level in the past (Jan Trojanowski and Bob Aucoin).

In today's world, anyone that wants to play at the CIS level or higher (NCAA D1, National team, pro) needs to be working on getting better year round by the time they are in high school. If they are not playing on a BNB team then they need to be working out and playing somewhere (club team, men's league, AAU, high-end camps, personal trainers, etc).

I'm sure someone on here can think of an example of some great athlete that took the summers off season but still went on to play CIS but I can't think of any on the boy's side. All the players I've coached who went on to play CIS or above, have all played on a BNB provincial team on the weekends PLUS did other basketball related activities during the week.

I have also coached some great players that didn't like the idea of playing one sport year round. Any of those players who have decided to keep playing basketball after high school typically ended up at a ACAA school.

I think it's fair to say that playing at the CIS or higher level requires year around commitment and therefore that is the type of athlete they get.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
sidebyside

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:46 am

Hardfouls wrote:
I don't understand the question. Are you trying to say there are elite players being overlooked by BNB when selecting provincial teams or that this province has had CIS caliber players that choose not to play during the summer?

On the boys side the reality is NB is producing 1-3 CIS players per year. Lately its been closer to 1 than 3 unfortunately. The majority have been from AAA schools but there are also former AA & A single athletes that have been dominate at the CIS level in the past (Jan Trojanowski and Bob Aucoin).

In today's world, anyone that wants to play at the CIS level or higher (NCAA D1, National team, pro) needs to be working on getting better year round by the time they are in high school. If they are not playing on a BNB team then they need to be working out and playing somewhere (club team, men's league, AAU, high-end camps, personal trainers, etc).

I'm sure someone on here can think of an example of some great athlete that took the summers off season but still went on to play CIS but I can't think of any on the boy's side. All the players I've coached who went on to play CIS or above, have all played on a BNB provincial team on the weekends PLUS did other basketball related activities during the week.

I have also coached some great players that didn't like the idea of playing one sport year round. Any of those players who have decided to keep playing basketball after high school typically ended up at a ACAA school.

I think it's fair to say that playing at the CIS or higher level requires year around commitment and therefore that is the type of athlete they get.

I personally have been through the basketball drama.  BNB is a good program but it is not a program designed for the elite players, it is designed for players that have strong financial support. BNB is very expensive with registration fees, and travel for both practices and games. I have seen throughout the years many talented players that have not played BNB due to financial restraints.  That being said BNB does not floor the highly talented players; it floors that ones that have parents that have the financial means.
There are many other summer basketball programs available besides BNB that can allow players to move onto the next level without putting their parents in the poor house. There is also many more talented coaches outside of BNB that can assist these players to move onto the next level. Sorry to burst BNB's bubble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach12

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:10 am

That is definitely not true!! It certainly does cost a lot of money to go on various trips as well as to a National tournament and that is unfortunate, but BNB most definitely does not cater to families who are "well off". BNB and their coaches always go above and beyond to make sure that every player plays. There are many supports in place to help the athletes find the means in order to play. I've never seen a player make a team and then have to withdraw because of an "inability" to pay the team fee. I have, however, seen plenty of cases where BNB takes a loss in order to make sure that players are able to play and succeed at an elite level. Make no mistake about it, it is an elite level of basketball.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sidebyside

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 am

coach12 wrote:
That is definitely not true!! It certainly does cost a lot of money to go on various trips as well as to a National tournament and that is unfortunate, but BNB most definitely does not cater to families who are "well off". BNB and their coaches always go above and beyond to make sure that every player plays. There are many supports in place to help the athletes find the means in order to play. I've never seen a player make a team and then have to withdraw because of an "inability" to pay the team fee. I have, however, seen plenty of cases where BNB takes a loss in order to make sure that players are able to play and succeed at an elite level. Make no mistake about it, it is an elite level of basketball.

I am sure that BNB does what they can to assist but unless you are located near Fredericton, Moncton or St. John even travel for practice every weekend is a big undertaking. Travel to any of these areas if you are located as far as Bathurst or Grand Manan is quite a ride. The point I am trying to make is that BNB is not the only way for players to improve and advance their skills. I know that Jon Brain runs an amazing program for players in the Valley.With his expertise and experience along with his ability to expose his players to strong competition throughout the Maritimes and into Maine, any player would strongly benefit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:07 am

As I said in the my previous post...if you want to be elite then you need to be doing something in the off season. If a BNB provincial team is not possible (for whatever reason) then do something else. Jon's program and others like it are great. That doesn't make BNB teams any less great.
Back to top Go down
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:25 pm

Talent = Quality time in gym (in this case replace gym with hoop/court/ whatever)

If you want to be elite you've got to spend more quality time with quality practice then the people you want to be better then. If you plan on overcoming imbedded obstacles (financial, cultural, social, genetics) then you need to spend exponentially more quality time.

As a broad generalization there are two paths to being elite level anything (though most kids would fall on a spectrum some where between both paths):

1. Inherent advantages combined with interest.

2. Passion combined  with execution of an intelligent plan.

IN basketball terms:

1. If you are a 6'6 girl (6'10 boy) who can walk and chew gum on her way to a class she can pass, then you are going to be able to play university basketball if you are inclined somewhere. Same as if you are a good athlete and determined basketball player that works hard but you happen to grow up in a basketball saturated area, have great coaching, access to gyms/camps/clubs etc and your parents are super keen and committed to you succeeding, then you too will most likely be able to go play somewhere if that is your interest.

2. If you have none or few of these inherent advantages then you need to have a very good plan, and a passionate commitment to your game and development. You find or work to get opportunities to play and hone your craft, you organize your time around your passions. You out work, out smart and out hustle not just on the court but off in order to get more quality time on the court.

Now these are extremes and there are variations on themes here but these tend to be the way it goes. Everyone loves the type 2 player and wishes there were more. You also get something really special if you get a combination of both.

In a nutshell as hardfouls has said you need to be doing something. I can state from personal experience that a lot of what I hear about BNB from the outside negatively, has not been my experience on the inside. That doesn't mean its the only way, but you've got an organization that wants basketball players/coaches/clubs to be better so in the end it can't be a bad experience for kids to get help that way. Or their other ways to skin a cat sure.  Once kids get to a point where they are thinking about being elite, not even wanting to or being commited to yet. They need to start coming up with long term plans about how to get there, in case they decide later and later is too late.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:44 pm

That kinda is the point bnb is a team. As a team that is measured by how successful they are is based on wins. Therefore there is always going to be a 9 10 11 12th player and there is no way his playing time is going to be anywhere near equal to the guys above him. So they get the practice time with the other guys and 5 minutes a game if its a close game. I always wondered how they considered this elite training. To me elite training is something like sweat academy where the team aspect is gone out the window. Not saying what bnb is doing is wrongbracause like i said it is a team thing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:47 pm

I see the two as complementary.

Players need to know "how", "why" and "when" to perform a skill. Groups like Sweat Academy do a great job at teaching the "how" and "why". They especially help players with their weaknesses that are holding the player back (playing time, playing a different position, etc).

Playing against live competition is key to learning "when" to use a skill. This is where summer teams excel as nothing replaces trial and error in live competition for teaching "when" to do something or not (i.e. a reverse spin dibble is a great weapon to have but trying it against team NS's full court press might not be as effective as in training).

Another important concept...as players move up they need a have a higher skill level and need to execute those skills in less space and in less time. Once again, hard to simulate time and space constraints in training situations. Much better in live games against opponents forcing you to execute under those tougher conditions.

Players need both skill training (how and why) and competition (when) to fully develop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players    Today at 3:16 am

Back to top Go down

New Brunswick Elite High School Ball Players
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1