HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

O'Byrne Tourney

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aball

PostSubject: O'Byrne Tourney   Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:08 am

What happened?? Found their site and there are no results for the 3rd place game and the championship. Looks like major upset in the semi with Cardston beating McNally! What else happened? Major impact on rankings-again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
New_Guy22

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:57 pm

Cardston beat BOB in the final by 3

Bishop McNally beat St. FX in 3rd place game by 9

Bishop Grandin beat Paul Kane in consolation final

Father Lacombe beat Medicine Hat in 7th place game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:25 pm

Pretty impressive for Cardston to beat father lacombe, bishop mcnally and bishop o Byrne in this tournament. I'm not surprised about lacombe i haven't been overall impressed with them. Have talent but lack discipline and sportsmanship. Upsets do happen but beating 3 teams in one weekend that are ranked higher than you shows us that Cardston and the south should be taken more seriously movig forward. Anyone at these games that can comment on how they unfolded? Has ainlay lost at all in this ranking period? Lci stomped magrath good this weekend I think they were up by 40 or so when all the starters came off and then magrath pressed and shot 3s against the bench to close the gap on the score sheet. What I can't figure out is how magrath has beaten Cardston 3 times but then gets destroyed by mcnally and beat pretty good by Lci and loses to lacombe but Cardston has had wins against all these teams (win and 2 losses against Lci but still). Parody I suppose is the word and that will make this a very exciting end of the season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big red

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:24 am

Be warned this is a pro Cardston post.

I think you could make a case for Cardston being a top 3 team. This is my reasoning.

They beat at the time, a number 10 LCI, number 9 St Francis Xavier, and number 4 Ross Sheppard in the first rankings. With the puzzling losses against Magrath and Jasper Place being noted.

Then following another positive showing against LCI on Thursday (Cardston was up about 10 at the half before struggling to score in the second).  Friday they go into the weekend at BOB and beat the current number 6 Father Lacombe, number 1 Bishop McNally and number 3 BOB on BOB's home court.

Legitimate question, Is there anyone else in the province that has beaten at the time of the rankings 6 top 10 teams with the 3 most recent wins being against numbers 1, 3 and 6?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Honestly, it has become clear that we have 5-6 teams who can beat each other on any given night. We will now need some February games to try an figure out the rankings. I wouldn't even want to try right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:08 pm

I think what people have to realize is the on the court matchups. I think LCI beats Magrath on their match ups in side and have better team ball. Cardston doesn't match up to magrath as well and that's the difference there. Its great to see some upsets and I am predicting there will be a bunch more and it all just depends on whose hot going into the next few weeks. The south is tougher than people give them credit for. I watched LCI vs Cardston last week and I really thought Cardston had a shot; but their bench didn't step up; where LCI has a stronger and a little deeper there. I watched Magrath and LCI Saturday and thought Magrath looked horrible as their bigs would would not even got into the paint.
Again should be interesting; Cardston a top 5 no but definitely moving up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Treyfactor,
"Cardston a top 5 no, but definitely moving up"
If your Comets did just what Cardston did you would be on here saying they should at least be a top 5.
Come on, played numbers 4,6,1,3 in 3 days,played #4 and almost beat them, then beat #6,1,and 3 in their own tourney in 3 days. That is not just a one game upset we see once in a while.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Cardston may be on a hot streak but the fact remains they have 7 losses and must be ranked behind LCI and Magrath still. Magrath has beaten them 3 times in a row, so Cardston can't jump them. LCI beat them last week. So for Cardston to be in the top 3, LCI must be #1 and Magrath #2??? I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 pm

Southfan;
I agree with el tigre; can't really be top 5 if you haven't beat 2 teams ahead of you and they aren't gonna leapfrog some of the other-- I would definitely say there is some movement going on. Top 5 in the province ? not yet; but that's what provincials determines too. My Comets? I also saw Cardston struggle a couple weeks ago with them and Cardston pulled it out in the end. Not slamming Cardston at all; wanted to see them beat LCI last week. It will make zones very interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big red

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:52 pm

Everybody can make a case for what they want to happen in the rankings. I agree, I might have jumped the gun saying that Cardston should be top 3. If I remember right though, LCI moved from #10 in the first rankings, to #4 in the current rankings, with the only quality win (that I know of) between the 2 rankings, being SWC in the Sugar bowl. That movement I might add was aided by Cardston beating at the time a higher ranked Ross Sheppard and StFX. Thats some serious movement for beating only one team in the top 10. With that in mind, Cardston will move up. How far remains to be seen. I will add though that at least 2 of the 4 ranking committee members were in the gym for at least 1 possibly 2 of the Cardston wins. Does that mean anything? Who knows, but I doubt Cardston's movement will stop at #8 or #7 next week when the 3rd rankings come out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:23 am

Cardston is going to be much higher than 7 or 8 despite those losses to Magrath if they don't lose again before the mid feb ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Tourney   Today at 12:48 am

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Tourney
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1