HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gobirds

PostSubject: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:54 pm

Who made it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:19 pm

Players invited to the Selection Camp
- Brent McDonald
- Anton Bailey
- Malcolm Williams
- Zach Usherwood
- Jordan Blackman
- Ater Degal
- Nakai Luyken
- Edvin Mulushaga
- Jok Malek
- Mike Zayas
- Nick Termansen (-16)
- Taylor Heinrichs
- Reiner Theil
- Julienne Asselstine
- Keelan Wild (-16)
- Larry Blythe
- Paulius Makulavilus
- Jason Mckee
- Vijay Dhillon
- Billy Cheng
- Wesley Dekleer
- Kenneth Monture
- Nick Irvine (-16)
- Ranjodh Hare
- David Wagner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gervin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:15 am

The group looks distinctly weaker than last years group. Cheng looks good at the guard position but Mcdonald? How did he even get an invite...he is agood player but a clear level below Cheng and last years group at guard. The Knippleberg kid from Cowichan is already a much better player..did he not get an invite because he is in grade 10? Luyken is an absolute stud if he gets his shot in order. Wagner is great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
snaked

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Gervin wrote:
The group looks distinctly weaker than last years group. Cheng looks good at the guard position but Mcdonald? How did he even get an invite...he is agood player but a clear level below Cheng and last years group at guard. The Knippleberg kid from Cowichan is already a much better player..did he not get an invite because he is in grade 10? Luyken is an absolute stud if he gets his shot in order. Wagner is great.

Where is McDonald from?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Bret Mcdonald is from Terry Fox and he was impressive at the BC Provincials. He led a young Terry fox team and knows how to run a team. Ater and Billy should be the two Pg's on this team, but the guard positions do seem a lot weaker than last years. However, Wagner will be a beast and will carry this team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CharlesII

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:06 am

What about Adams Obakpe, Alex Klocek ? I think Mitch Goodwin or Isaiah Solomon would have had a shot considering the guards do look a little weak this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gervin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:50 am

Mcdonald is a solid player...just not elite level. I'vs seen him four times this year and found his penetration skills into the paint extremely weak and he has a tough time evading any reasonable defender. Good but not good enough...as i stated earlier i found grade 10 guard Knippleberg far more impressive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 pm

Goodwin really messed up his foot right at the end of the season. Maybe he's still recovering from this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theboss

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:29 pm

anyone know who made the team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballfan92

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:27 pm

I heard Ater Degal and Nick Irvine made it not sure about anyone else yet
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballbccynic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:01 pm

How did warren liang not make the second camp? DId he have a bad camp? This shows how shitty basketball bc is at identifying talent, James Lum makes the bc team every year, and has no CIS looks. Warren will go CIS for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey basketballbccynic

Quote :
How did warren liang not make the second camp? DId he have a bad camp? This shows how shitty basketball bc is at identifying talent, James Lum makes the bc team every year, and has no CIS looks. Warren will go CIS for sure.

What exactly are you trying to say??? Is it BBC's fault that James Lum has no CIS looks? Is it the CIS's fault that Warren did not make it to the BBC's selection camp? Just what exactly are you trying to say.

Why dont you ask Warren why he didnt make the second camp, he knows the truth. Selection to the team is based on how they played during the camp, not how they played during the year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballbccynic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Coach wrote:
Hey basketballbccynic

Quote :

What exactly are you trying to say??? Is it BBC's fault that James Lum has no CIS looks? Is it the CIS's fault that Warren did not make it to the BBC's selection camp? Just what exactly are you trying to say.

Why dont you ask Warren why he didnt make the second camp, he knows the truth. Selection to the team is based on how they played during the camp, not how they played during the year.

Alrigth first of all to answer you question abotu James Lum. Basketball BC two main objectives are to pick the BEST TEAM that will give them a chance to win a gold at Nationals. Second objective is to develop players for future playing opportunities including future bc teams, national teams, and post-secondary basketball. James Lum had a very minor role on both the u-15 and u17 bc teams. Also his potential to play at the next level isn't very good. Don't get me wrong he is a great high school player. Well put together, extremely quick and has nice bounce to him. Decent size for pg for bc high school 5'9. Very good basketball instincts, nice feel for the game. Can hit the outside shoot to with consistency. However, they are some problems when projecting James Lum as a CIS players. Firstly to be his size and to thirve at the CIS level he has to be a knock down shooter which isn't. He is a good shooter, but streaky and not great. Secondly hes not strong enough (would need to add 15lbs of muscle to frame), and hes not a pest defensively. Hes good at getting steals. But I have never seen him dog the other teams pg 94 feet the whole game. I think he has the capacity to do that, and the athleticism but he hasn't shown it, and thats exactly what CIS schools are looking for at this level. So I have nothing with BBC picking him as he is a phenomenal high school player, but his game doesn't have much carryover to the next level. A common misconception that many people don't understand is how much bigger, faster, stronger, and better CIS guys are then high school . Think how good Jas gill was last year and he had to red-shirt at UBC.

Secondly It is an utter lie to say that how you play during the season has no effect on you making the second camp. And it is obvious depsite how poorly warren liang played that he is not worthy of an invitation to the second camp. Making the mini-camp doesn't mean anything in the big picture, and you gain nothing from it except having the opportunity to compete in an elite setting. The reason why this take this into consideration is beacause someone can just spike up and have a good weekend, or they could have a terrible weekend. BBC try to mitigate this effect by having really long tryouts, and by having two weekends. Despite their best efforts its impossible to prevent this from happening sometimes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: James Lum   Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:28 pm

If you don't think James Lum has CIS potential you are crazy. He was clearly the best point guard at the all star game. I have recently heard that over the year James has actually received CIS interest from St Marys, Queens, McGill, and Thompson Rivers. It will be interesting to see where he goes. Hearing from Ebes, James had an important role this summer. He often put Lum on the other team's point guard defensively and was a major distributor.

Warren is a great player, but come on would he have been the same player without James Lum on his team?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballbccynic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

theman7 wrote:
If you don't think James Lum has CIS potential you are crazy. He was clearly the best point guard at the all star game. I have recently heard that over the year James has actually received CIS interest from St Marys, Queens, McGill, and Thompson Rivers. It will be interesting to see where he goes. Hearing from Ebes, James had an important role this summer. He often put Lum on the other team's point guard defensively and was a major distributor.

Warren is a great player, but come on would he have been the same player without James Lum on his team?

I understand that James is a great player. And I place no validity on what Ebe says. I am only taking my assumption about Lum based on what I saw at Canada Summer Games plus stat sheet. But we'll see where he ends up. I am just saying that his potential to succed at the next level isn't as great as other guards. Also the reason that schools aren't recruiting him heavy is because he doesn't make a team better. For example UBC don't want lum because they just lost in finals to sask they need to get better and lum while he can compete (debatable) at that level effectively he doesn't make UBC a better team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 pm

basketballbccynic wrote:
I understand that James is a great player. And I place no validity on what Ebe says. I am only taking my assumption about Lum based on what I saw at Canada Summer Games plus stat sheet. But we'll see where he ends up. I am just saying that his potential to succed at the next level isn't as great as other guards. Also the reason that schools aren't recruiting him heavy is because he doesn't make a team better. For example UBC don't want lum because they just lost in finals to sask they need to get better and lum while he can compete (debatable) at that level effectively he doesn't make UBC a better team.

basketballcynic I am sure you will just ignore this comment since I have no "validity" but I should point out a few things that you are perhaps not aware of. If you are basing your assessment of James on the Canada Games as you have stated then you were probably not aware that James injured his leg in our second game which basically prevented him from playing. He showed great determination as he wanted to play but was clearly in pain. James was also our best on ball defender against much bigger point guards especially in Vegas where he was a big reason we did so well in our playoff run at the tournament. James has received interest from many CIS schools and CCAA schools and I am pretty confident that he will do well in his post-secondary basketball career. I agree that in general it is very difficult for small point guards to play at the next level but players like Jordan Yu and Karlo Villanueva have proven that it can be done and I think James has the necessary skill set to be successfull.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:01 pm

theboss wrote:
anyone know who made the team?

Billy Cheng
Ater Degal
Vijay Dhillon
Nakai Luyken
Malcolm Williams
Mike Zayas
Jordan Blackman
Reiner Theil
Wesley Dekleer
Jason Mckee
Nick Irvine
David Wagner
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MadHatter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:29 pm

Thanks once again, Ebe. Looks like a very athletic team, maybe one of the most athletic Basketball BC has assembled. I look forward to seeing how this team does.

Wagner is a beast and will be surrounded by all sorts of speed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldSchool

PostSubject: Selection camps   Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Ebes

I heard from 3 different coaches from 3 different selection camps that CP players had to be invited back to the selection camp regardless of how they performed at the ID camp. Could you confirm or deny that this is true.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballbccynic

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm

ebe wrote:
basketballbccynic wrote:

basketballcynic I am sure you will just ignore this comment since I have no "validity" but I should point out a few things that you are perhaps not aware of. If you are basing your assessment of James on the Canada Games as you have stated then you were probably not aware that James injured his leg in our second game which basically prevented him from playing. He showed great determination as he wanted to play but was clearly in pain. James was also our best on ball defender against much bigger point guards especially in Vegas where he was a big reason we did so well in our playoff run at the tournament. James has received interest from many CIS schools and CCAA schools and I am pretty confident that he will do well in his post-secondary basketball career. I agree that in general it is very difficult for small point guards to play at the next level but players like Jordan Yu and Karlo Villanueva have proven that it can be done and I think James has the necessary skill set to be successfull.

Well I was unaware of that so basically my prior comment is absolutely garbage thank you for bringing that to my attention. I have seen him play 3 other times but the reason I choose that situation was because its against the best competition. But what happened to his leg? Also I believe James Lum is a phenomenal High School player. I am not trying to say that he isn't a great point guard. I am just saying at the bc's and various other times he has played well but hasn't shown skills like being a knock down shooter, and fierce on ball defender to be successful at the CIS level. He is a great helpside defender at the high school level. Also in the Province it was stated that no CIS school were interested in Lum. Seconldy I definitely see CCAA schools recruting him but for him as such a strong student going th CCAA route I believe would be the wrong route? Thats my speal but this is from an objective point of view as I am not personally connected to Lum and am not either a fan or a hater of his.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OldSchool

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:53 am

Ebes

I asked you a question about the ID camps. Did CP kids get invited back to the selection camps regardless of how they played? You have not answered. Your silence speaks volumes. There should be no connection between CP and the provincial teams. All players paid the same amount, they should all get the same look. Fewer and fewer kids are trying out for provincial teams. With this nepotistic attitude, they should just pick the provincial teams from their CP and RTC and stop stealing everyone money. Selection to the provincial teams not only has to be fair, it has to look fair. This looks dirty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
snaked

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:21 am

OldSchool wrote:
Ebes

I asked you a question about the ID camps. Did CP kids get invited back to the selection camps regardless of how they played? You have not answered. Your silence speaks volumes. There should be no connection between CP and the provincial teams. All players paid the same amount, they should all get the same look. Fewer and fewer kids are trying out for provincial teams. With this nepotistic attitude, they should just pick the provincial teams from their CP and RTC and stop stealing everyone money. Selection to the provincial teams not only has to be fair, it has to look fair. This looks dirty.

I don't agree with Basketball BC's whole process, the regional teams to provincial teams really only promote basketball in the Lower Mainland and a bit on the island. It is extremely difficult for a kid outside of this area to get selected. He/she has to be outstanding in some way, not just a bit better than others. If the kid is only a bit better than others, he/she does not get selected. He/she has the LM kid who might be a bit worse picked over him/her usually.

They need to advertise the whole thing, throughout the province. Not just on their site. They need to have people in place to advertise throughout the ENTIRE province. Regional team numbers are WAY down compared to what they used to be.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coachb

PostSubject: the cynical side of the elite program   Mon May 03, 2010 4:40 pm

I noticed that on the basketball bc web site that they did not list the high school that each player is from as they have in the past. I wonder if they gave up on that since by the end of the summer many of them end up at different schools then they started at? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Mon May 03, 2010 7:52 pm

OldSchool wrote:
Ebes

I heard from 3 different coaches from 3 different selection camps that CP players had to be invited back to the selection camp regardless of how they performed at the ID camp. Could you confirm or deny that this is true.

Sorry I did not get back to you on this sooner but I have nothing to do with the policies of the Basketball BC Elite program as these are set by the Basketball BC Elite Committee. I believe they have a policy in place that CP players will be invited to the selection camp if they take part in the Supercamp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fraserballer

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Fri May 14, 2010 2:37 am

ebe wrote:
Players invited to the Selection Camp
- Brent McDonald
- Anton Bailey
- Malcolm Williams
- Zach Usherwood
- Jordan Blackman
- Ater Degal
- Nakai Luyken
- Edvin Mulushaga
- Jok Malek
- Mike Zayas
- Nick Termansen (-16)
- Taylor Heinrichs
- Reiner Theil
- Julienne Asselstine
- Keelan Wild (-16)
- Larry Blythe
- Paulius Makulavilus
- Jason Mckee
- Vijay Dhillon
- Billy Cheng
- Wesley Dekleer
- Kenneth Monture
- Nick Irvine (-16)
- Ranjodh Hare
- David Wagner

Is their anyone that shouldve made it or shouldnt of made it? I think warren should have
Id say edvin shouldnt of made it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?   Today at 1:50 am

Back to top Go down

Anyone know how the U17 Tryouts are going?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1