HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3A Boys Mid February Ranking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:21 pm

This should be an easy ranking to put together. There was a real lack of head to head match ups this period and games that did see 2 teams went as expected so there shouldn't be any movement. There could be some new HMs but other than that nothing should change.

1. Chestermere
2. Leduc
3. HTA
4. SCA
5. Cochrane
6. SPA
7. Wetaskiwin
8. St. Joes
9. Sturgeon
10. EC
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Its interesting that Chestermere is still unbeaten and has 3 victories over top 10 4A teams, with each of those games being at least a 3 possession score difference. Their closest game was a double overtime win against Crescent Heights Calgary. IMHO they are by far the best 3A team and look unbeatable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:30 pm

I agree. They should win out easily without really being challenged by any team in 3A. They are unbeaten in Alberta but not overall. They haven't posted their losses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Why does Chestermere not play 4A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:48 pm

I don't know. They're one of the largest 3A schools in Alberta and they have a good program so they easily could. They won down here last year. They won 2 in row 8 or 9 year ago too. They do seem to be in the mix every year and the top 2 teams in 3A are usually at the level of the top 10 in 4A. Leduc is right on that 3A/4A student population edge too and are probably a team capable of giving them a game. It looked like Chestermere generally plays a zone or a half court trap. If they stick with that and don't make man to man their main defense that they play against good teams I think they're vulnerable to teams like Leduc who shoot the 3 ball really well. If Leduc can gain some momentum through their city championships and they get on a roll down the stretch it could be interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:42 pm

I think thats a fairly accurate scouting report and you are right about the rankings. No changes sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:11 pm

Mid-February Ranking:
1. Chestermere
2. Leduc
3. Holy Trinity Academy
4. St.Peter
5. Strathcona Christian
6. Cochrane
7. Wetaskiwin
8. St.Joes (EDM)
9. Sturgeon
10. Barrhead

HM Beaumont
HM Olds
HM Ponoka
HM Springbank
HM St. Albert
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Some interesting changes. I haven't seen SPA play so I'm not sure about their jump up. They must have had some impressive games against ranker's teams. What happened to EC? Who did they lose games to that didn't get posted that would cause their disappearance from the top 10? It seems odd that they dropped right off the map. Good to see Barrhead break the top 10 though. I'm interested to see if thats a 1 man team or if they have some guard play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:11 pm

It looks like Cochrane just lost to both St Albert and EC. SPA beat SCA and St Albert. Chestermere beat Leduc. A few cross games between those zones. Chestermere is obviously where they should be. Cochrane's scores are all over the board. That's another team I'd like to see. Anyone know what SPA and Cochrane are like?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:58 am

I saw SPA a couple times at HTA tournament. They definitely seemed capable but maybe struggled a bit with the more physical game ( like Notre Dame (RD)) where more contact went uncalled. They probably have made adjustments since then since they have performed extremely well of late. Also their strong schedule is definitely paying off for them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:03 am

I saw St Albert beat Cochrane on the weekend. You could see how they were ranked so high as they had some talented players but the Skyhawks probably had their best game of the year and won by 10. Cochrane did look really young. Someone said in the stands that they only have grade 10 and 11 players. St Albert is on the rise and peaking just at the right time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 am

If Chestermere did go to a tournament in the states why would it matter? They don't have anything to do with rankings. Why would anyone care if they posted those scores or not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Oak

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:22 pm

Yeah I'm not sure how Beaumont, Barrhead or Ponoka got on there ahead of EC... Anyone have any insight into this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:11 pm

I have no idea. EC has to be choked about that. It makes no sense as their scores are not much different than they were when they were ranked #5. The rankings for 3A this year have been interesting. I am a little surprised Barrhead has taken this long to be ranked but considering their schedule it's probably expected. Cole Knudsen is probably the top center in the province. Having a player that physically dominant in the NC zone against that competition should make Barrhead dominant. They have been winning but the comparisons have put them about where they are.

With regards to submitting scores, it doesn't really change anything with games in the states or out of province but it's ASAA policy to submit ALL scores to ExNet right through to the completion of zone playoffs to provide a complete and up-to-date season record for use in the ranking and seeding processes. The only reason a team in the middle of being ranked would leave off a game is if the loss reflected badly on them or if they were hiding games to exceed the maximum of 36. So leaving scores off is simply cheating. It is NOT the winning team's responsibility to submit scores. Teams that exceed 36 games may be ineligible for participation in any ASAA sponsored games (zones, provincials) within that same season of play; forfeit any standing within the final provincial rankings for the purpose of seeding in the provincial championships; forfeit any or all ASAA sponsored games (zones, provincials) and any awards or titles earned in these games; and be ruled ineligible for participation in ASAA sponsored events within the next season of play as determined by the ASAA Executive. It doesn't look like Chestermere will not be in excess of 36 games. Perhaps they just want to see Ws in the win/loss column. I have to wonder if any other teams played games in the states this year. I haven't found any so perhaps not. SWC were penalized a few years ago because of infractions during their trip to the states so if teams are hiding those games they should know they can be found out. The bottom line is that it gives teams an advantage they otherwise wouldn't have. It is cheating. Plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D-It-Up

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:10 pm

12321, You really have a bee in your bonnet about Chestermere. There is no cheating going on with them. They did not report their scores because they played without a shot clock and had games played with 2 halves instead of 4 quarters. The scores do not translate into the game they play at home. So it would not influence the ranking at all. Wilson, the coach has been around this league forever and your second argument that they are hiding games because they will have played too many is simply ridiculous. Why would he jeopardize this team's success to play a couple of extra games? They are good enough already. So let's get over the reporting of the scores in the US - it has no impact on the rankings!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:17 pm

As an unbiased onlooker I might ask this question: if US games have no bearing on ranking, and do not put your team over the game limit, what argument can be made to not report your scores? If it doesn't matter, then report it because that's what asaa has asked teams to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:58 pm

I don't think I'm getting my point across very well and I accidentally added an extra negative in there with regards to Chesteremere to get D-It-Up, sccoach90 and 456654 all riled up. My mistake. I meant to say that it looks like Chestermere will not be in excess of 36 games. Not "doesn't". I had Chestermere at #1 before the season started. That was obvious through December despite the rankers messing that up. I've already said those games mean nothing to the ranking. So post them. The same way BOB or OL posts their scores against Kelowna Secondary, NOT the way BM or JP "forgot" to post their scores against Mt Vernon. Why would JP leave that score off? OR the BJ Mahoney loss? OR the Marion Graham loss? They posted their scores from their California trip in early December. Why not the other scores? There are cross comparisons to be made since there are a few teams out of province who play Alberta teams on a regular basis. WC has seen Golden twice. They're a good team and they're in a ton of Alberta tournaments and have beaten a ton of Alberta teams. I know WC is not the only team to lose to Golden but it looks that way since no one else posts their losses to them. They post their wins though. Funny how that works.

This is not just a JP issue. Its not just a Chestermere issue. Its not just an LCI issue who is one of the worst offenders which leaves me shaking my head at the way that program is being run. This is not isolated to a couple of teams. It's a year after year problem and its across the entire ASAA, 1A right through to 4A. It makes the ranking system vulnerable to error and puts our seeding and wildcard selections into question. That includes seeding in quality tournaments despite what's been said on this forum regarding how tournaments are run. Yes the home team will get a good draw but only a real douche will stack the opposite side of the draw with the 4 top teams just to get their team into the final. Some of the worst offenders of missing scores are the ranker's teams who don't post their losses or post them after the ranking period is over. That is cheating the ranking system. If you're one of those rankers who do that, do us all a favor and don't volunteer. That selfless service time you're putting in is better spent at your local homeless shelter but I suspect you might end up stealing the soup. I see a lot of games but I obviously don't see them all. Rankers don't either. How can rankers accurately rank teams who don't post their losses? Teams should not be allowed to be ranked unless ALL of their games scores are entered into the system and if they are found in violation there should be consequences. They should not get to be ranked. At all. That includes games against American teams, Saskatchewan teams and BC teams. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this is a problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:57 pm

Great rant. You got your point across. Do you think a 3A team will even get close to beating Chestermere this year?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:57 am

I said in the 4A thread that top teams can lose to unranked teams. That may be true in 4A but its different for 3A as the depth of good teams just isn't there. They could have a game where they get into foul trouble, a key guy sprains an ankle or shots just aren't going down which happens to the best of teams but that team is very deep, especially for 3A. I thought Leduc might have a chance but after so many games it doesn't look like a 3A team will even come close.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:14 pm

Final rankings are out.

1. Chestermere High, South Central
2. Leduc Composite, Edmonton
3, Holy Trinity Academy, Okotoks, South Central
4. St. Peter the Apostle, Edmonton
5. Strathcona Christian Academy, Edmonton
6. Wetaskiwin Composite, Central
7. St. Joseph, Edmonton
8. Cochrane High, South Central
9. Sturgeon Composite, Edmonton
10. Barrhead Composite, North Central

Honorable Mentions (alphabetical order)
Eastglen High, Edmonton
Edmonton Christian, Edmonton
Ponoka Secondary Campus, Central
Springbank High, South Central
St. Albert Catholic, Edmonton

Wildcard Berths: Edmonton x 2, South Central, Central
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:57 pm

15 teams on that list but Chestermere and Leduc are way ahead of everyone else with the obvious edge going to Chestermere. No big surprises and not much has changed. Cochrane is really the only team to move and some HMs like Eastglen moving in. The second tier looks like HTA and SPA, then SCA before a jump to the rest. No big surprises. After a shaky start the rankers have settled in. Over the entire year I'd say that SCA is the biggest surprise on the plus side. I have seen them play a few times including a game against WC where they looked really good at times but overall they've had positive scores and played better than I thought they would. Outside of a couple of losses they've kept the pace right through the entire year. The biggest surprise on the minus side has to be Cochrane. Their scores are really inconsistent and I had them pegged much higher early on in the year. I haven't seen them play but their scores show that they haven't been able to pull it together game in and game out. Edmonton Christian might be a close second in the disappointing category. You can see the potential but they just can't figure it out. I don't think 3A will be that hard to predict for provincial seeding. No one will knock off teams in the 3 wildcard zones and the top teams in the other zones would need major upsets to miss out other than the south where it could be interesting. I'm still giving it to WR Myers. The four finalist and championship game won't surprise anyone either.

1. Chestermere
2. Leduc
3. Holy Trinity - Okotoks
4. SPA
5. SCA
6. Wetaskiwin
7. Barrhead
8. Ponoka
9. Fr P Mercredi High
10. Peace Wapiti Academy
11. WR Myers (dropping but still better than McCoy and Eagle Butte)
12. Holy Trinity Catholic - host
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3A Boys Mid February Ranking   Today at 10:59 am

Back to top Go down

3A Boys Mid February Ranking
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1