HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Provincial All-Star Game

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
fvball

PostSubject: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:53 pm

Here is the roster for this Saturday's All-Star Game at UBC. Thoughts? Opinions? Notable Omissions?

Last I heard, game time is still TBA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Marek and Emerson on the same team? That's just not fair. The away team looks a lot better. My prediction Away team by 10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller106

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:35 pm

Where's Phil scrubb, Anthony Sohal, Milan bosnjak, Brandon chan?????
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BBall Fan

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:12 pm

Baller106 wrote:
Where's Phil scrubb, Anthony Sohal, Milan bosnjak, Brandon chan?????

For that matter, where is Matt Letkeman ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fvball

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Maybe Scrubb declined the invitation? He definitely belongs there. Letkeman deserves some major consideration as well.

Can anyone support/explain the selection of Elliot Mason and James Blandford? Didn't get to see those guys this year so I don't really have a good idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dirtydirk

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 am

i saw that elliot mason kid play, i think hes from richmond or vancouver, that kid has talent its funny casue no one has heard of him prob casue hes not from van. If im not mistaken he got like most offensive player in lower mainlainds, and hes friken tall for a guard..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bchoops

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:26 am

James Blandford is very very solid. He definitely deserves to be there. Check out some of his youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpcTBH7jREs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znht6adl55U
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Should Emmerson Murray be playing in this game? He played less than half the year. So basically he made it on past accomplishments. Now is that right? Yes where is Lekeimen, Colby and Scrubb, why are they not playing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Ian Smith - Sahali
Kyle Gabelhei - Mt. Boucherie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Limitless

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:29 am

Coach wrote:
Should Emmerson Murray be playing in this game? He played less than half the year. So basically he made it on past accomplishments. Now is that right? Yes where is Lekeimen, Colby and Scrubb, why are they not playing?

This doesn't suprise me at all, BC Baskeball is 100 + percent political, and they promote and bend rules for who they want, all the time! Just like a few years back when they robbed Reece P of the mvp at the Provs and gave Murray the mop. Reece led his team strongly all year and then to the Championship game, and that totally overlooked so they could cater to the guy they want to make it the most.
We'll never get props as a Province as long as twisted, unfair and warped adults with personal problems and agendas are in control.

My guess is that Scrubb declined an invite, because if he wasn't invited that would be among the worst demonstrations of BC's warped system yet. Does anyone know?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fvball

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:29 pm

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this game is run by Basketball BC. I think Rich Goulet looks after it.

I'm sad that Scrubb won't be there.

Riley Barker also won't be there now but I don't know why. Maybe we'll see Letkeman replace him???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballbccynic

PostSubject: Faulty All-Star Selection Process   Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:44 am

So I copy and pasted this from the Ontario Section this is how they select end of year all-star games

Typically, the coaches will be one from the east and one from the west that made it the furthest in the playoffs. Should they be unable to coach, then the organizer moves down the list until someone is able to volunteer their time. The way it works for players is that there is usually three guys per team that made it to the finals, two from each team that qualified for the playoffs, and one for each team otherwise. I believe tier two only send one player regardless if they made the playoffs or finals. At that point, there is an official tryout (usually two or three practices) where the coaches take 12 players to participate in the game. These 12 players get a uniform and some other nice gifts that the organizers is able to provide through sponsorships etc. There is also usually a media luncheon where one or two players from each team and the coach attend. It really is done up well. The game likely will not take place until May.

And we wonder why we get shitkicked by Ontario at nationals and they produce so many more div 1 players, and its not because they have more people.

This way ensures that the BEST players get to showcase not some stupid formula which is how they currently do it now
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballbccynic

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:47 am

Coach wrote:

This doesn't suprise me at all, BC Baskeball is 100 + percent political, and they promote and bend rules for who they want, all the time! Just like a few years back when they robbed Reece P of the mvp at the Provs and gave Murray the mop. Reece led his team strongly all year and then to the Championship game, and that totally overlooked so they could cater to the guy they want to make it the most.
We'll never get props as a Province as long as twisted, unfair and warped adults with personal problems and agendas are in control.

My guess is that Scrubb declined an invite, because if he wasn't invited that would be among the worst demonstrations of BC's warped system yet. Does anyone know?

Scrubb definitely declined his invation don't worry lol

Secondly I agree with you that basketball bc is political 100 percent is maybe going a bit to far, but for that matter Basketball is political everywhere but I think in BC we do a bad job of trying to mantain integrety. Also complaining why emerson got into the all-star game well he is clearly top 3 guard in bc. He would have played in more games if the some selfish basketball bc coaches didn't take away a berth from independent league for their own gain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:26 pm

basketballbccynic

Man are you an idiot!!! BBC does not run the All-Star Game nor are they responsible as to what goes on in the high school leagues.

Why dont you get over the fact that BBC cut you and get on with your life. Too much hatred, especially for BBC is not good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basketballbccynic

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Coach wrote:
basketballbccynic

Man are you an idiot!!! BBC does not run the All-Star Game nor are they responsible as to what goes on in the high school leagues.

Why dont you get over the fact that BBC cut you and get on with your life. Too much hatred, especially for BBC is not good.

Great arguement firstly my name is refering to me hating basketball bc i think it is a well run organization, and provides the best option for high school athletes to develop their skills and to showcase them. I am just angry about the state of basketball in bc as general hence my name basektball bc cynic. So many talented guys play for our province and end up falling through the cracks ex Clayton. Bol Kong almost did. And the whole in province in general doesn't do a good job of developing basketballl players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FromThree

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:57 pm

Which team won? Who were the stars? Who were the surprises? Any stats?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:08 pm

FromThree wrote:
Which team won? Who were the stars? Who were the surprises? Any stats?

It is already reported in the The Province.

http://communities.canada.com/THEPROVINCE/blogs/high_school_hamper/archive/2010/04/11/epondulan-renfrew-lead-teams-to-victory-at-b-c-high-school-all-star-weekend-2010.aspx
Back to top Go down
fvball

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:26 pm

The home team won 110-109 on a last-second layup by Julio Epondulan III from St. Pats.

Here were my thoughts:
  • The Eli Mara-Emerson Murray duel was fantastic. Both players made big plays and some fantastic shots. Eli did miss 6 free-throws in the final two minutes (I think I saw a smile coming from Kevin Hanson's lips)
  • Marek Klassen had a large block on Epondulan in the first half but got REJECTED by Mara in the final minute, too bad it was called a foul (I thought it was clean)
  • Underrated list: Elliot Mason (Burnett), Micah Cockrill (G.W. Graham), Jesse Jeffers (Argyle)
  • Overrated list: Josh Wolfram, Spencer Evans, Ted Neilson
  • Should've been there: Matt Letkeman, Phil Scrubb

Entertaining game overall, exciting finish. This game should really be promoted more by Basketball BC (even though they don't run it) and by the schools where these players are going.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm

fvball wrote:
The home team won 110-109 on a last-second layup by Julio Epondulan III from St. Pats.

Here were my thoughts:
  • The Eli Mara-Emerson Murray duel was fantastic. Both players made big plays and some fantastic shots. Eli did miss 6 free-throws in the final two minutes (I think I saw a smile coming from Kevin Hanson's lips)
  • Marek Klassen had a large block on Epondulan in the first half but got REJECTED by Mara in the final minute, too bad it was called a foul (I thought it was clean)
  • Underrated list: Elliot Mason (Burnett), Micah Cockrill (G.W. Graham), Jesse Jeffers (Argyle)
  • Overrated list: Josh Wolfram, Spencer Evans, Ted Neilson
  • Should've been there: Matt Letkeman, Phil Scrubb

Entertaining game overall, exciting finish. This game should really be promoted more by Basketball BC (even though they don't run it) and by the schools where these players are going.

Last edited by okanaganbball on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fvball

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:39 pm

I never got to see Ian Smith play this year (he was injured when I saw Sa-Hali play). I did like Sa-Hali's point guard though - long-haired guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theman7

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm

Underrated also: Ben George- had a game high 24 points leading his team to the win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Provincial All-Star Game   Today at 5:32 am

Back to top Go down

Provincial All-Star Game
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1