HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

All Star game

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:37 pm

I heard some all stars have been announced...anyone got any lists or anything?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Truth

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:44 pm

Ballforlife12345 wrote:
I heard some all stars have been announced...anyone got any lists or anything?

AAA SW AAA SW
1 Jack Berkshire Fredericton 1 Kennedy Baird Sussex
2 Matt Brown Saint John 2 Emma Jenson Kennebecasis Valley
3 Mitch Clayborne Leo Hayes 3 Margaret MacDonald Kennebecasis Valley
4 Stanley Mayambo Fredericton 4 Grace Simpson Frederiction
5 Jack Tilley Kennebecasis V 5 Eva Tumwine Frederiction

AAA NE AAA NE
1 Shannon Hubert Miramichi Valley 1 Courtney Bulman MacNaughton
2 Zach Middleton Moncton 2 Megan Campbell Moncton
3 Luke Nelson MacNaughton 3 Lindsey Gallant Miramichi Valley
4 Gbemi Oguntona Riverview 4 Siobhan Murphy Riverview
5 Travis Valanne Miramichi Valley 5 Jennifer Newman Riverview

AA SW AA SW
1 Ryley Anthony Fundy 1 Claire Ayotte Southern Victoria
2 Hunter Gray Woodstock 2 Kyla Carr Woodstock
3 Keegan Gray Woodstock 3 Taylor Cook Fundy
4 Isaiah Oakes Carleton North 4 Molly Gulliver Rothesay
5 Alex Wilkins Fundy 5 Mallory Thomas Woodstock

AA NE AA NE
1 Jeshua Becker Tantramar 1 Katie Corlett James M Hill
2 James Coombes Bathurst 2 Emily Fitzpatrick James M Hill
3 Liam McDougall Tantramar 3 Megan Gallie Sugarloaf
4 Jeremy Poole James M. Hill 4 Katie Ollerhead Tantramar
5 Carlo Theriault Sugarloaf 5 Emma Sigsworth Tantramar

A SW A SW
1 Brett Curtis Harvey 1 Jill Corey Harvey
2 Zachary Foster Hartland 2 Alannah Hansen John Caldwell
3 Noah Gillespie Harvey 3 Naomi Larmer Harvey
4 Sam Hambrook John Caldwell 4 Samantha Taylor Canterbury
5 Andrew Milner Rothesay Netherwood 5 Kaylyn Toner John Caldwell

A NE A NE
1 Patrick Carroll Carrefour Beausoleil 1 Morgan Anderson Caledonia
2 Dalton Heagrey Minto 2 Sarah Fanjoy Petitcodiac
3 Tristen Jonah Caledonia 3 Heather MacFarlane Stanley
4 Shane Moss Stanley 4 Lezlie McAlister Dalhousie
5 Andrew White Caledonia 5 Emma Wissink Caledonia

2014-2015 All star games are at Leo Hayes HS, Sun Feb 22, 1 PM girls' game, 3 PM boys' game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rivhoops

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Hmm.....I'm quite surprised on some of the names on the list and of some of the names not on the list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://riverviewhoops.wix.com/riverview-hoops#
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:53 pm

No Jared Stafford......wow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaterBoy

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:03 pm

No Val Nelson? Is it because he failed a grade?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Probably
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaterBoy

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Is it true the game is being played at Leo instead of Sussex?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
39forever

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:57 pm

Yes, All star game is at LHHS. One thing that jumps out at me for the list of all-stars, every team in the final 12 represented........except Grand Manan. Not the first time I could have said that. I remember one of the years that GM boys won, I think it was Colton Wilson's Kyle Roode's and Duncan Cronk's grade 11 year. They rolled through the season undefeated in A, won the championship...no all stars. Every system has it's flaws. It's all good. Congratulations to all of the all stars, they all deserve it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WaterBoy

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:01 pm

Is it such a flaw that a team can win harbour without having any stars? I find this to be the exact opposite of a flaw and instead show how teammate-oriented GM was that year..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:12 pm

39forever wrote:
Yes, All star game is at LHHS. One thing that jumps out at me for the list of all-stars, every team in the final 12 represented........except Grand Manan. Not the first time I could have said that. I remember one of the years that GM boys won, I think it was Colton Wilson's Kyle Roode's and Duncan Cronk's grade 11 year. They rolled through the season undefeated in A, won the championship...no all stars. Every system has it's flaws. It's all good. Congratulations to all of the all stars, they all deserve it.

Can't speak to the previous years GM issues. Seems to me that this is product of the voting taking place prior to GM peaking. Voting is done by the end of regionals so their sectionals run/performance would have no impact. Without being an "A" expert there is no one on the list based on their regular season performances I could see coaches bumping off to put GM player on the list, particularly if a number of western teams did not play GM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
silkysmoove

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:25 pm

AA SW seem to be dominated by 2 schools on both boys and girls sides, no wonder the AA finals look the way they do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballislife9

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:34 pm

In SW A girls I feel there is one name miss and that is Alexis Liston. She lead her team to Harbour Station and can she can shoot the lights out. Other then that I would agree. Congrats to everyone!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
observer

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:28 pm

Ballislife9 wrote:
In SW A girls I feel there is one name miss and that is Alexis Liston. She lead her team to Harbour Station and can she can shoot the lights out. Other then that I would agree. Congrats to everyone!

If you are going to put Liston on there who are you going to bump out? Grand Manan is at Harbour Station but at the time of the voting I don't think people would say that they were necessarily deserving of a spot. Harvey was undefeated in the regular season in the south and John Caldwell was undefeated in the west. You could make a pretty convincing argument that those were the two top A girls team this year, regardless of one game in sectionals. That leaves the guard from Canterbury, who I believe is deserving of a spot. I am not even sure Liston is the best player on her own team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballislife9

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:32 pm

I would take Liston over the girl from Canterbury any day. Not saying she doesn't deserve to make it, just feel Liston deserves it more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:26 pm

How about just take the top ten in each classification and throw regions out of the picture...wouldn't that open up a can of worms...or better still it may get the best talent at the game they should be playing in. Never an easy solution that is pleasing to all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:39 am

[quote="Metta Peace"]How about just take the top ten in each classification and throw regions out of the picture...wouldn't that open up a can of worms...or better still it may get the best talent at the game they should be playing in.  Never an easy solution that is pleasing to all.[/quote

How about having an all star game for each classification? Reward more kids this way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
breakercoach

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 am

Or we could just eliminate the game all together, along with POG's, tournament all stars, MVPs', etc which inevitably just lead to controversy and disappointment in a team game. Keep the trophies, banners and whatever else used to recognize winning teams but get rid of the individual accolades. Those that matter know who the top kids are anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJBallerdave87

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:36 pm

I think there is some kids who deserved to be on this list that were left off, I think there is favouritism from the big schools on certain players, but how do you leave kids like Leo Titarenko or Jared Stafford off this list, or Devon Rector. what about that Urquhart kid from Oromocto who had huge numbers against FHS and Leo Hayes this year. where is Ethan Oneil who was a stellar player for a team that is in harbour station?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:51 pm

I agree that they should be on it but who would u take off SJBallerdave87?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brady12

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:15 pm

Breaker coach is spot on about basketball being a team game and all the hardware and hoopla associated with individual recognition can be dropped. Most of these awards are someone's opinion and there is little data to support the choices. Doubt that anyone will do anything to change the process but one answer might be to limit player eligibity to grade 12 players only.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:19 pm

I know if you asked all of the kids that are playing in the allstar game if they had to choose only one scenario either their team at harbour station or themselves at the allstar game most would want to be with their team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJBallerdave87

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:30 pm

I think Claybourne,bershired and brown are all great talents but I think there are players who were better this year, you could argue Claybourne could be replaced by Devon Rector, Jared Stafford and I think ONeil coulda replaced Brown Or bershired but I don't know how O'Neil's health was this season, or Urquhart who had 42 on Leo Hayes this season but it's hard to argue with the choosing like you guys said it is opinion based and all those guys had a great year and you can only select 5
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eyeballer

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:13 am

All star selection seems flawed or we wouldn't be talking about it. If it's not political, it's done with stats, which are seldom accurate so why not scrap the whole all star game idea. Everyone knows who the top players are anyway, I agree with Poolie, most players would give up personal awards for a chance to go to HS with their team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:32 pm

brady12 wrote:
Breaker coach is spot on about basketball being a team game and all the hardware and hoopla associated with individual recognition can be dropped. Most of these awards are someone's opinion and there is little data to support the choices. Doubt that anyone will do anything to change the process but one answer might be to limit player eligibity to grade 12 players only.
So the solution is to just pick a grade 12 student whether he is the best on the team or not?? How does that make sense. Rename it the grade 12 all-star game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Red Auerbach

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Any picking system is flawed. You can argue for and against players 9-12 on most teams. Lots of these picks are eye brow raisers. Lots of controversy in the NBA all star picks each year. Barkley was going to boycott the game if Lowry didn't get in. Regarding the NBIAA all star selections, ability, effort, attitude, etc is on display all season long and the coaches (who have the votes) are generally well informed and do a good job with their selections.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Today at 7:33 am

Back to top Go down

All Star game
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next