HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

All Star game

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Eyeballer wrote:
All star selection seems flawed or we wouldn't be talking about it. If it's not political, it's done with stats, which are seldom accurate so why not scrap the whole all star game idea. Everyone knows who the top players are anyway, I agree with Poolie, most players would give up personal awards for a chance to go to HS with their team.

Whether it is the best 5 players in each region and class or not, the all-star games gives a cool experience to 60 kids who would not otherwise have the opportunity. All deserving players will never be included, but to be voted in, they must be close and they had to be a valuable asset to their team just to get onto the list. Those deserving kids who don't make it will get over it and move on, so, to me, that does not warrant removing the game entirely. Let remember who high school sports are for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:32 am

I think we need to be clear when we distinguish between flaws and limitations. If you were selecting an u17 provincial team and didn't take a kid who was too old, or didn't come to tryouts, or just wouldn't meet the training needs or expectations of the selection comittee then those would limit your field to: age appropropriate, at tryouts and willing to meet conditions. These aren't flaws in the selection process they are the criteria that limit the field. In the case of the NBIAA allstar game format you've just got more limitations on the field.

Limitation 1 - Your coach has to nominate you to be on the ballot. Maybe you are a dufus at practice where no one else can see, maybe your a terrible teammate, maybe you have no interest in playing in an Allstar game or at higher levels, coach wants to avoid voite splitting, etc,etc. There is an infinite number of reasons we will never know or see as to why a kid isn't nominated on a ballot in the first place. If we can trust the coach to run the team we can trust the coach to make selections too. That is a limitation. If a coach has 4 potential allstars on his roster (our view from the outside in) but for any number of reasons they all don't get nominated that limts the field. So you've already limited the field.

Limitation 2 - Coaches voting. There are no standards or guidelines for coaches voting beyond selecting 1-5 and ranking them (and not selecting their own). They can make this based on performance, potential, sportsmanship, leadership, equal distribution basically any reasons they want. As there is no uniform criteria this means that all votes are equal as a selection commitee. So your field in now limited by the bias and motivations of your selection comittee same as any company.

Limitation 3 - Spots. There are 5 spots per conference, per level, per gender. If the best 8 boys players in AAA happen to be in the SW only 5 of them are getting into the allstar game. If you are the best JV player in Hartland that is very different then having to go to JV tryouts of 45 kids at BMHS. THere are only so many spots. THe allstar game showcases talent from all levels and areas but in order to do that must limit the field in some way. This limitation reduces the number and qaulity of participants.

I don't think I can personally see any allstars at any level when this criteria is considered that I can say aren't deserving. Are their great basketball players that aren't there sure, but I'm not sure that is a product of flaws as much as the limitations imposed on the selection process.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:31 am

Coach DJR coach has some very valid points. The fact that it is up to the coach who they nominate for the ballot is so very true. This year I nominated two of our players instead of three for a very good reason. The two that I nominated had enough talent, showed up for practices and were good intense teammates. The third who I think was good enough to be on the ballot, missed alot of practices, was late for practices for numerous reasons, he could not control his temper in a physical game which lead to unsportsmanlike or technical fouls. To nominate this player would send the wrong message to all of the other younger players on his team. Compete and battle physically from the shoulders down. Battle and bang down low but none of the cheap dirty shots. I know in the heat of battle tempers flair but play within the rules and remain composed. Put in the hard work and go things will follow you. Just a heads up for Players on this forum, you can either take this advice or go your own path.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:06 am

CoachDJR wrote:

Limitation 3 - Spots. There are 5 spots per conference, per level, per gender. If the best 8 boys players in AAA happen to be in the SW only 5 of them are getting into the allstar game. If you are the best JV player in Hartland that is very different then having to go to  JV tryouts of 45 kids at BMHS.

The other 34 kids must have taken a wrong turn when coming to tryouts since I only had 11 tryout(not counting the two that went up to the varsity team). Basketball

All very good points, Coach DJR!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All Star game   Today at 1:04 am

Back to top Go down

All Star game
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2