HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Boys Final Ranking

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Aball

PostSubject: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:01 pm

I may have to rethink my McNally Calgary comment. Definitely thought they were #1 in Calgary. Lost this week to Crescent Heights.

I believe all other top ranked teams won this week. Don't believe there are any strong 4A tournaments left so there will be very little regional cross over games played. Rankings will come down to city and zone playoffs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:40 pm

It is a surprising result but with so many games, top teams are going to lose at some point, especially to other good teams that may not even be ranked. They may not beat them in a 7 game series but were good enough to beat them that day or that weekend. For the last ranking, its about the body of work over the course of an entire season not just a single win here or a single loss there. The rankers, especially the 4A rankers, have this figured out and I doubt this will drop McNally significantly.

At the end of the day, you have to win your way to provincials and while ranking provides important seeding information and wildcard berths, it isn't going to win games for you. This is when it gets fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Edmonton finished up pretty much where we all thought.
1.HA
2.RS
3.OL

Look like South is going to end up
1.LCI
2.Magrath {Bit of a surprize}
3.Cardston

Calgary as far as I can tell
North
1.SWC {Won the season ending matchup against McNally}
2.McNally
3.Aberhart

South
1.EM {Bit of a surprize but big win over BOB}
2.BOB
3.FL

Last Ranking???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Buddy of mine just informed me that Magrath is no lock for second in the South as their last two games of the season are against LCI and Cardston. They could definitely drop a spot. Would be great games to see!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Magrath is not going to be ahead of Cardston despite the early season victories and SWC won't be ahead of BM despite the recent win. Its about the entire season for the final ranking. My guess:

1. HA
2. LCI
3. Cardston
4. BM
5. OL
6. BOB
7. FL
8. RS
9. Magrath
10. SWC

HM EM
HM WA
HM STFX
HM PK
HM SF Calgary
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:49 pm

4A rankings are out. I'm surprised to see RS jump Cardston. I know they both beat them and lost to them but 1 game and they move ahead of them? What about Magrath? SWC beat BM but didn't jump them. I don't get the logic that says this set of rules applies here but doesn't apply there. If I'm SWC I'm not happy about this went down although they are where they should be. RS is not. No big surprises on the HMs but a little Edmonton heavy. If I had to pick an opponent for a must win game between either St Francis CAL or JP I want to play JP every time. They shouldn't be there.

1. HA
2. LCI
3. RS
4. Cardston
5. BM
6. OL
7. BOB
8. FL
9. Magrath
10. SWC

HM EM
HM WA
HM HT Ed
HM PK
HM JP
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:15 pm

12321 wrote:
4A rankings are out. I'm surprised to see RS jump Cardston. I know they both beat them and lost to them but 1 game and they move ahead of them? What about Magrath? SWC beat BM but didn't jump them. I don't get the logic that says this set of rules applies here but doesn't apply there. If I'm SWC I'm not happy about this went down although they are where they should be. RS is not. No big surprises on the HMs but a little Edmonton heavy. If I had to pick an opponent for a must win game between either St Francis CAL or JP I want to play JP every time. They shouldn't be there.

1. HA
2. LCI
3. RS
4. Cardston
5. BM
6. OL
7. BOB
8. FL
9. Magrath
10. SWC

HM EM
HM WA
HM HT Ed
HM PK
HM JP

How do you feel about Ross Shep now that they have beaten Harry Ainlay?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:17 pm

Suprising. Details?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:16 pm

HARRY AINLAY (77) vs. ROSS SHEPPARD (93) in the Edmonton final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:59 pm

One off or really, truly capable of repeating that feat?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:10 pm

I have always liked who is going into Provincials on a high and playing with some momentum behind them. Shep has to be considered a favorite along with whoever wins in the deep south and Calgary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:36 pm

I agree but there is also straight up talent to consider. Mason and Seran. Awak and Aher. As long as they have a supporting cast that plays well they'll be tough in provincials regardless of where they're seeded.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Here's my prediction. I won't pick a team but I will predict that this year we will have a provincial champion that does not go in as the 1 seed. There are just too many good teams that have shown they have the capability. I could realistically see 5 or 6 teams with the provincial championship. Parody is an exciting thing. I'd have to say my favorites to win are probably still ainlay or Lci. But I wouldn't sleep on mcnally either. What I saw from them was pretty darn strong. I think matchups will be meaningful moreso this year. We could have a team sneak in to the semis or finals with a favorable draw that suits their team more. Tough one to call this year as the only team that has consistently been on top is ainlay, but now there are some questions there. south zone playoffs are this week. I'd expect to see Lci come out of that on top, it depends on what happens between Cardston and magrath. If magrath wins, Lci will handle them easily in the final. If Cardston wins, they have looked good in games against Lci and could make a run. I'd be surprised if cch or raymond were able to win on the backside. I don't see those teams beating magrath or Cardston whichever one ends up over there. But, it's high school ball so who knows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:14 pm

I agree. And the end of provincials I think it will still be HA and LCI if LCI can hold it together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:25 pm

it will be interesting to see who the 1 seed goes to. Shep moved up quite a bit after beating just Cardston, will they jump all they way to 1 due to beating ainkay? I don't think rankers can overlook that ainlay also beat shep by 20 just a couple of weeks ago right? Does lci move up to 1 assuming they win the south? They haven't lost, but if I'm not mistaken the only team they've beaten in the top 5 is Cardston. So in my opinion I still think it has to be ainlay or shep. Maybe they go 1-2 and lci 3 unless they lose in zones. But if it's ainlay and shep I suppose shep would have to be the 1 due to having the most recent win. Perhaps that is kind of like lci and Cardston a couple years back where lci jumped to 1 because of beating Cardston in zone final eventhough Cardston had the more impressive body of work on the season and would ultimately go on to win it all. So whatever the seeds are there are no guarantees for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
el tigre

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:48 pm

The provincial seedings have to be in accordance with where they finished in their zone. This means that since Ross Shep beat Ainlay for the #1 seed in the Edmonton zone, Shep has to be seeded above Ainlay. Whether that is Shep #1 and Ainlay #2, or Shep #2 and Ainlay #4, that is up to the rankers but Shep will now have the highest seed out of Edmonton teams, and that goes with each zone. So, if Magrath some how wins the south, LCI could not go in as a higher seed than Magrath. Also keep in mind that the rankers will sometimes move teams in the final provincial rankings up or down one or two spots in order to avoid teams from the same zone playing each other in the first round.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:00 pm

That makes sense. Shep will most likely be 1 then. But I still stand by my prediction that the 1 seed won't win it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:53 pm

el tigre - I think you got that exactly right which is why zone playoffs need seeding for every team who qualifies. A big win at the right time for Shep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:11 am

JP over STFX Wednesday to take the 4th seed out of Edmonton. Now STFX and HT will play tonight for the 5th and last provincial berth.

SWC over BOB by "29" last night in the Calgary semis. McNally over EM in the other. SWC vs. McNally in the final. Someone predicted this in an earlier thread...

A couple of thoughts on the Calgary zone. I believe that BOB has been over ranked all year and it is a real shame that a team as good as Lacombe is out, with no chance at provincials. Calgary needs to look at a backside to their provincial qualifying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Boys Final Ranking   Today at 9:07 am

Back to top Go down

4A Boys Final Ranking
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1