HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A seedings - 1 & 2 in BC in the same foursome

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: 4A seedings - 1 & 2 in BC in the same foursome   Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:32 pm

I don't know where to start... Terry Fox getting ranked 8th based on 1 game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
And 1

PostSubject: Re: 4A seedings - 1 & 2 in BC in the same foursome   Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:07 pm

I'm thinking Fox would be quite happy with the way this draw worked out .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 4A seedings - 1 & 2 in BC in the same foursome   Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Fox definitely got screwed with the top teams all year Oak Bay and Fox in the same quadrant, but the strongest quadrant would have to be the Grove, South, Kelowna one which should be the most competitive. Yale got a great draw with by far the easiest path to the Final Four, there great run in the Valleys catapulted them to a great quadrant. But seeding shouldn't matter, the best teams will win out and whomever is playing the best next week will carry themselves to the end no matter whom they play.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: 4A seedings - 1 & 2 in BC in the same foursome   Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:36 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
Fox definitely got screwed with the top teams all year Oak Bay and Fox in the same quadrant, but the strongest quadrant would have to be the Grove, South, Kelowna one which should be the most competitive. Yale got a great draw with by far the easiest path to the Final Four, there great run in the Valleys catapulted them to a great quadrant. But seeding shouldn't matter, the best teams will win out and whomever is playing the best next week will carry themselves to the end no matter whom they play.

Seedings do matter... games should get stronger as you move on in an event. You should not get weaker game after a stronger game.

I don't see how Fox should be as low as 8. Hard to justify that the way they have played down the stretch.
Back to top Go down
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 4A seedings - 1 & 2 in BC in the same foursome   Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:

Seedings do matter... games should get stronger as you move on in an event.  You should not get weaker game after a stronger game.

I don't see how Fox should be as low as 8.  Hard to justify that the way they have played down the stretch.

This just goes to show that all that really matters is the Regional Playoffs, like Ive said before, no matter how well you play in Nov-Jan, it only really matters how you play in Feb-Mar, Fox ended up the 3 seed in the FV so I guess it was hard to seed them high in the Provincial tournament, I would love for a full season of results to determine Provincial seeding but that's not how it goes I guess, hope it changes though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: 4A seedings - 1 & 2 in BC in the same foursome   Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:

Seedings do matter... games should get stronger as you move on in an event.  You should not get weaker game after a stronger game.

I don't see how Fox should be as low as 8.  Hard to justify that the way they have played down the stretch.

This just goes to show that all that really matters is the Regional Playoffs, like Ive said before, no matter how well you play in Nov-Jan, it only really matters how you play in Feb-Mar, Fox ended up the 3 seed in the FV so I guess it was hard to seed them high in the Provincial tournament, I would love for a full season of results to determine Provincial seeding but that's not how it goes I guess, hope it changes though.

Well not equal value to full season - more recent games should carry more weight than earlier games.  I like the idea of using 'strength of schedule' as factor in deciding berthing... granted it's further down the food-chain than other factors... but now that they are claiming to have a true seeding (you win your 1st game you are guaranteed to place in the top eight) then the thought process needs to change.  After all, dropping a team significantly over 1 loss is a disservice to other teams.  Just like because a team comes out of a zone #1 they get a high ranking - with little regard to how strong the team is or how strong the zone is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A seedings - 1 & 2 in BC in the same foursome   Today at 1:54 am

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1