HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3A Zones -Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
HTAbball

PostSubject: 3A Zones -Boys   Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:23 pm

For the SC 3A zone this is the draw( with seeds). All of the games with the exception of the first round games on Wednesday are at HTA. It is a double elimination tournament. The loser of the final plays the winner of the backdoor for the wild card.

Wednesday games (games at higher seed)
(1) Chestermere vs. (Cool Highwood
(2) HTA vs. (7) Strathmore
(3) Cochrane vs.(6) George Mac
(4) Springbank vs. (5) Olds
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Highwood is the 8 seed. Not sure why that happened.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:58 pm

That should be a walk for HTA and Chestermere. Springbank is just too far back to make any headway against the 2 powerhouses. Cochrane still has potential and I believe that they still have an amazing talent from the team alberta ranks but it just doesn't sound like they have enough experience or depth to pull off any upsets.

Edmonton zone will bring the other 3A powers for provincials. I can't see any upsets happening here either. St Joes and Sturgeon are just too far back.

#1 Leduc vs #8 AB Oscar Romero
#5Sturgeon vs #4 St. Joseph
#3 Strathcona Christian vs #6 St. Albert
#7 Edmonton Christian vs #2 St. Peter

We should see Leduc, SCA and SPA come out of Edmonton to finish off the 5 main teams in 3A provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:32 am

You are underestimating the power of the underdog. Anything can happen in zones. SACHS is totally capable of winning a spot to provincials, especially if Andrew catches on fire. He is unstoppable when he finds his groove and is a beast in the post or squaring up and driving the lane so its not as cut and dry as you think. Cochrane too in the south zone for sure. Nelson from Cochrane is a scoring machine. A couple years ago he hit 50 threes in a row in a practice at Saville. Not that efficient earlier but still had 30 or so. Those kinds of players are game changers and will take a game all on their own. The top seeds are not as safe as they think they are. Be warned. SACHS coming out of the north.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:09 am

50 is nik stauskas levels. If he was that good he would have already signed plus you can say there is good players on every team. Nate Wall of HTA signed at Mount Royal. They also have Dylan, Jacob and Jared and so on down the list. Tyis Yellowhorn of Chestermere also signed at Mount Royal. And they got other guys just as strong. I'm sure your player is good too but you got to be realistic about your chances.
Back to top Go down
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:45 am

That's pretty arrogant. Both those teams seem that way. Leduc is the same. They got whittow and they're quick to point out he's going to the Huskies and they think they got this wrapped up like there is no competition even from the south. No respect for anyone and they look so far past zones it would be fitting for them lose. They deserve to lose more than anyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:53 am

I don't think the SC zone or Edmonton is locked up. I haven't seen Cochrane play so I can't speak to their ability but anything can happen in zones and that is why all of the top teams cannot afford to look ahead. In Edmonton however, I have a difficult time seeing SACHS make it. They would have to beat not only SCA, but one of SPA or Sturgeon/St.Joes to make it. But anything can happen at this time of year. That's why we play the games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:14 pm

SACHS is not that far off and anything can happen and getting on a shooting streak is game changing. All the being signed thing does not win games. One guy like Salcedo gets hot and things can change in a hurry despite one team being bigger or deeper or signed at UofS or whatever. I suppose it works the other way too but it makes game night big. SACHS may not see Leduc unless they lose which is totally possible but there is 3 spots in Edmonton to qualify for provincials. And the Nik Stauskas/Nelson comparison could be close. he's not a big strong athletic freak but he can flat out score and make things happen. Positive he's in grade 11 and committed or got an NCAA offer or something like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Look at this. Is there actually enough interest in 3A basketball to have a discussion. Please post how the zone playoffs go since they aren't online anywhere.

For Three - HTAbball's draw is for the south central zone not south. The south teams really just aren't good this year but one of them gets to go to provincials.

While its possible that teams could surprise everyone and knock off one of the favourites, I can't see it happening in a double elimination format. It means those 3 Edmonton, 2 SC teams have to have 2 bad games and the teams that beat them have to have 3, 4 or 5 great games so its just really unlikely. I like the optimism though. Its always fun to root for an underdog.

The player you're talking about is Jake Nielson. He is in grade 11 and I've heard things about him since last summer but haven't seen him play this year. Considering 1 or 2 players every couple of years even gets interest from NCAA schools and never a grade 11 player, what your saying is interesting but "something like that" doesn't sound like really solid information. more details? A Cochrane player was recruited by Carleton last year, which is really unusual for western Canada so it probably means they're helping their players out with recruiting. Cochrane hasn't been at the top of the rankings so if he's that good, the team must struggle. I'm thinking similar to Barrhead and Cole Knudson who is for sure a CIS prospect but must have almost no one else around him.

FYI - The last 2 alberta players to go NCAA at 2-27 Central Arkansas. Mathieu Kamba is averaging 7.9 ppg, Otas Iyekekpolor 0.8 ppg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:23 pm

I don't know. Its just talk in the stands. My point being that players can have a good game and change the way the zone playoffs finish. Those power teams you're talking about are not a lock and its possible for a 6 seed to win a few games in a row and qualify for provincials or even win zones. It's March. Anything can happen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:01 am

I just noticed that Edmonton isn't double elimination this year. Is south central the same single elimination format? That changes the chances of lower seeded teams. Its more like March Madness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 am

The south central is double elimination. That being said, if a team loses in the final, they have to play the winner of the backdoor draw. You could end up beating a team in the semi - finals and then having a rematch against them if you lost the final and if they won the backdoor. If you lose the semi-final and try to get in the backdoor, you have to win 3 in a row after losing the semi-final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:36 pm

No big surprises out of Edmonton even with the single elimination. While it would have been fun to see SACHS pull an upset off, the only upset was Sturgeon over St Joes which is a little underwhelming.

Thurs., March 12
Sturgeon at Leduc
Strathcona Christian at SPA

Winners get automatic provincial berth. Losers playoff for 2nd wildcard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:39 pm

I don't see how Leduc is arrogant? They have worked hard all year playing in the strongest league in Alberta, in my opinion, beating 4a provincial contenders. Chestermere is a good team but I don't think they are unbeatable. Personally, a rematch between Leduc and Chestermere would be an awesome provincial final. I've watched leduc play and they don't run their offence around just one player. They have a starting lineup of players who all can score plus a few off the bench who are just as talented. Chestermere is the same, a deep bench and a great program.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Its easy to call someone arrogant when they win. That was always going to be a long shot for St. Albert, or Edmonton Christian and AB Oscar Romero. It could have happened but the chances were slim.

One of the most impressive things about Leduc was their killer schedule. Tough opponents and a full slate of games to the very limit. I think they'll have a walk to the finals at provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
For Three

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Leduc, Strathcona Christian and St Peter are all good programs and everyone agrees are the best teams in the zone. I'm just saying that there is a difference in the way those 3 teams handle themselves. Win or lose, you have to admire a talented team that is humble and shows a lot of class and respect for their opponents. I have no problem losing to a team like that. I'm looking for an upset in the final for whoever it is that ends up there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:11 pm

Wednesday SC zone games (1st round)
(2) HTA over (7) Strathmore 80-45
(1) Chestermere over 8 Highwood 84-50
(3) Cochrane over (6) George Mac 92-72
(4) Springbank over (5) Olds 73-57

Backdoor Draw today
(5) Olds vs. Highwood 8
(6) George Mac vs. Strathmore (7)

Semis
(2) HTA vs. (3) Cochrane
(1) Chestermere vs. Springbank (4)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:17 pm

Thursday SC zone results:

Backdoor Elimination Games:
(6) George Mac over (7) Strathmore 91-76
(5) Olds over Highwood 61-52

Semis:
(2) HTA over (3) Cochrane 83-59
(1) Chestermere over (4) Springbank

Tomorrow's games

(6) George Mac vs (4) Springbank 2:00
(5) Olds vs (3) Cochrane 4:00

Finals:
(1) Chestermere vs (2) HTA 6:00
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:26 pm

Today's results
(3) Cochrane over (5) Olds 67-59
(4) Springbank over (6) George Mac 88-80

Finals
(1) Chestermere over (2) HTA 77-50

Backdoor Elimination Game tomorrow
(3) Cochrane vs. (4) Springbank 10:30

Provincial Berth Game
(2) HTA vs Cochrane/Springbank 2:30
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:18 pm

My mistake: the Cochrane/Springbank game is at 10:00. Anyways if Chestermere plays like they did tonight, it will be tough for anyone to come close to them next week.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cochrane

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:25 am

For Three wrote:
SACHS is not that far off and anything can happen and getting on a shooting streak is game changing. All the being signed thing does not win games. One guy like Salcedo gets hot and things can change in a hurry despite one team being bigger or deeper or signed at UofS or whatever. I suppose it works the other way too but it makes game night big. SACHS may not see Leduc unless they lose which is totally possible but there is 3 spots in Edmonton to qualify for provincials. And the Nik Stauskas/Nelson comparison could be close. he's not a big strong athletic freak but he can flat out score and make things happen. Positive he's in grade 11 and committed or got an NCAA offer or something like that.

This information is not accurate. Jake Nielson has not committed anywhere and does not have an NCAA offer. He is in grade 11.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:02 am

There is some talented players in 3A this year and the top teams are on par with 4A. It will be an interesting provincials and would have been well attended if it weren't for where it is being held.

No surprises so far in the zones except for how the seeding will go. SPA surprised Leduc last night 73 to 67

Provincials ranking should go

1. Chestermere
2. Holy Trinity
3. SPA
4. Leduc
5. SCA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:02 pm

Cochrane beat Springbank 69-50 so they play HTA for the final spot in provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:34 pm

HTA won by 20+ to earn the second SC birth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: http://hooplife.canadian-forum.com/t2731-3a-zones-boys   Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:25 am

I'm really surprised by this seeding. SPA has to be disappointed. I'd love to hear the rationale. After some good rankings the 3A committee is reverting to their early season form.

2014-15 Provincial Seeding
1 Chestermere High
2 Leduc Composite
3 Holy Trinity Academy, Okotoks
4 St. Peter the Apostle
5 Strathcona Christian Academy
6 Wetaskiwin Composite
7 Barrhead Composite
8 Ponoka Secondary
9 Peace Wapiti Academy
10 WR Myers
11 Fr P Mercredi