HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

3A Zones -Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:18 am

Leduc finished 4th in division 1, where as SPA finished 9th. One bad game shouldn't define a teams season. SPA will understandably be upset but I feel the rankers got it right. HTA lost to Chestermere by 27 where Leduc only lost by 14. It'd would've been hard to see Leduc drop below 3rd. If the tournament goes how its supposed to, we'll see a rematch of SCA and SPA where in their last game, only had SPA winning by 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:26 pm

You can't be serious. #4 SPA walks into #2 Leduc's gym for the championship game of the top 3A zone in the province, wins in a multi possession game but doesn't move up in the seeding and you think that's fair and your argument is that there was a 13 pt spread difference in 2 games with 2 SC zone teams and no comparison to SPA? That is delusional my friend. Enjoy your good fortune because provincial seedings can't be appealed. If they could, SPA would already have sent in the paperwork. The 3A ranking committee botches another one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:22 am

Didn't get to watch any 3A today but surprised to see WR Myers beat Barrhead. I'm surprised to see WR Myers beat anyone other than maybe the host team. The Knudsen kid should have been unstoppable in this game. Does anyone have any details they can share? HTABball, 300, 19283, svcoach90/D-It-Up/456654 - anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ramfan

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:56 am

I've heard a lot about the Knudsen boy this year and see he had 47 vs Myers so sounds like he was unstoppable. Not sure on details and heard they are weaker this year but not a huge surprise Myers has a good program and they should be a top 3a team every year. Again, the south is where its at!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:29 am

Ramfan- I doubt Myers comes even close to Leduc this morning but is still good to see some "Southern Pride"
12321-I wasn't able to watch the game because I was at Fr.Merc. watching Wetaskiwin and Fr.Merc. Wetaskiwin struggled shooting from the outside and had trouble putting away the home team. It will be interesting to see how they come out today vs HTA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:36 am

Knudsen had 47 until he injured his leg with 4 minutes left in the 4th. After that, myers went on a 7-0 run, then hit the three that sealed it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:55 am

Where did you "see" 47? Is that posted somewhere?

One of the great things about this sport is getting to watch the individual talent and how it ties into the team that they play on. I would have liked to have seen Cole Knudson play this year. Considering his size and skill and the fact they they lost to WR Myers, who have struggled this year, that Barrhead team must be much, much worse. The Rebel's will bounce back with better teams in the future because they have a decent program with coaches who put a lot of work into it, but to be honest, and I am a Rebel fan, this year was not good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:58 am

I didn't see that injury post before the last post. That answers some questions. That's a tough break for Barrhead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:12 am

You can find the Scoresheets on the provincials website... of course this can be a bit inaccurate because they are just students but it is relatively close most of the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ramfan

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:17 am

12321-scoresheets are posted on the 3a website and I am just as surprised as you to see Myers win any games this weekend. I'm friends with a few Taber parents who say they've have an outstanding season considering the talent this year. But Zone champs and top 8 finish at Provincials doesn't sound 'not good'. I'm sure anyone involved with their program would agree they've had a pretty decent season.

HTAball-I've heard this Leduc team has talent and is deep, would be top 10 4a team this year so I agree with you they will smoke Myers no question. You guys should smoke Wetaskewin as well. The semi's look like they could be exciting matchups and I'm personally hoping/cheering someone up there can take down the 'so-far unbeatable' Chestermere team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Its all relative. Considering the south had 0 teams in the 3A top 15 at the end of the year, a not good description would probably fit but its great to win a banner and finish top 8 at provincials. Considering only 7 teams at provincials were top 15 it's not that huge of an accomplishment to finish top 8 this year. And remember that we're talking 3A. I'm in no way a Rebel hater. Far from it. I'm just being honest. Myers was for sure going to win games this week. I just thought it would after an opening loss. Clearly one player can't do it all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:35 pm

Wow. SPA up 25 on Chestermere in 4th. Bad day for SC zone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:25 am

Sounds like some big upsets in 3A. It looks like the best players on Chestermere and HTA just didn't show up. SPA has to feel some redemption after getting shafted on the seeding.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:36 am

Did anyone see this coming? I thought Chestermere was dominant all year long? Guess you can't take anything for granted. Even losing a close game is understandable in the top few seeds but seems crazy to me that a team that is number 1 all year long can get blown out like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:50 am

I sure didn't. That Chestermere team was the deepest team I've seen this year in 4A or 3A. They don't have any one real big star that carries the team game in and game out. They have size, they have talent. They must have decided to lean on someone instead of playing their regular team game and that player just didn't show up. But if a team relies on even scoring all year, perhaps that player isn't used to or even capable of carrying a team on his back. Score sheet shows Jeff R and Tyis Y as very modest for scoring with 9 and 6 pts respectively in the first game against Peace but they had even scoring throughout which I think is what they've done all year. No score sheet for the last game.

I'd like to watch that semi final game. Does the ASAA archive their games online?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:23 am

Agreed. Chestermere has so many guys that can score that they don't have to rely on any one single player and they move the ball so well that they shoot wide open shots. Their centre gets easy position layups and is a huge defensive presence but if he's guarded straight up he struggles to score if he's outside of 6. The 3 taller shooters for Chestermere need space to shoot outside and St Peter closed out well. St Peter trapped, caused turnovers and capitalized. Give St Peter credit. Well played.
Back to top Go down
Optimist

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:44 pm

Kudos to SPA on the win against Chestermere. Great game plan execution. For Chestermere, the injuries that plagued them all year finally caught up to them. They were still winning despite them. The two best players have had stress fractures for the last 4-5 weeks. There were other injuries as well. It was a great ride for them. If SPA plays like they did last night they should walk away with a banner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballking

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:07 pm

Seems like many comments from people who have a quick superficial look at the numbers. HT Okotoks and Chestermere played mostly 3A  teams that would never have survived in Edmonton this year. LEDUC and SPA played Div one 4A ball against tough teams all year. SPA did not finish 9th . In fact they tied for 6th and were bumped to 8th per tie breaker rules. As for Chestermere and their injury woes , mothing but excuses. Every team goes through it including Leduc and SPA. Chestermere did in fact try to play their regular game but were beaten by a better and deeper team . No more excuses please. Rankings are rankings but they are only that and not the crowning of any one. They may have been a little too involved with their own press.  Quality of compitition and Zone results must be considered and as usual the constant lobbying from the south resulted in flawed seeding. HT Okotoks should never have been in the top 4.  Should have been Chestermere , Leduc, SPA, SCA.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:25 pm

How can you say that based on the results throughout the season? Is SCA a top 4 team when they won by 1 point in OT in the 5th place game with HTA playing without a starter? It's easy to rank teams after the fact, however I have no idea how you think HTA should not have been a top 4 team considering results coming into provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bballking

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:30 pm

Simply because of their competition. The entire south zone is soft . Ok day of like a new born baby. Cochrane found that out when they came up for the SACHS tourney and were dominated. A great record against soft teams does not build a champion team. The right teams are in the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Optimist

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:48 pm

No excuses here. Just congrats to both teams. You obviously had to put a negative slant on a positive post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:15 pm

Optomist- I am not saying that it wasn't a great game. It was and congrats to SCA for coming out with the win. I just disagree with that comment by bballking regarding the provincial seeding.

I don't disagree that Edmonton teams had a tougher schedule but look at all of the games played between zones and the provincials were seeded pretty close to where they should have been.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:59 pm

Congrats to SPA on their provincial championship with a dominant performance. They were clearly the best team the whole tournament. Like I said in an earlier thread, the best team would win no matter what seed they were and this year that was SPA. A remarkable turnaround for them. They were a completely different team when I saw them earlier this season and the change in the quality of basketball they played was amazing to watch.
On a different note, the ASAA needs to do something to address the terrible officiating. They were terrible in every single game I saw, including the final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:00 am

The officiating was worse than terrible and there are 3 reasons. Location. Location. Location. How the asaa allowed all the 3A provincial tournaments to come to Fort McMurray is beyond me. That was a huge financial burden they put on families with seniors who play multiple sports to have to go to Fort McMurray twice in the same year. Something has to be done so that never happens again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:21 am

3A sounds like it had an interesting tournament. I'm sure it would have been well attended had it been held some place closer to where most people in the province live.

I didn't get to see SPA play this year and didn't have much information on them at all but I do know they got shafted by the seeding after they won the championship in the toughest zone in the province so they must be feeling good today.

bbalking - I thought HTA were over-ranked early because the ranker for the south was from HTA but they earned their ranking with scores than put them at 3. Chestermere was definitely #1 and should have been all year. Calling their schedule soft is just wrong and will put me back on the topic of how Edmonton was overranked in 4A this year. I have lots to say about that if we go there as illustrated by 3 of the top 4 finishers at 4A being from the south. And south central is also not south. Not the same! Bottom line is that SPA should have been ranked ahead of Leduc. Maybe that was 2, maybe 3 but Leduc shouldn't have been higher than 4th after losing the Edmonton final in their own gym. But its March and its only about winning and that's a big tournament for SPA. I assume that's the first boys basketball provincial title for the school. Can you confirm that?

The Chestermere comments surprise me. Injuries caught up to them? An incredibly deep team, no losses coming into provincials, everyone on the score sheet, their main guys doing the work in their last 2 games and the comment is that injuries caught up with them? That makes no sense to me. Maybe their players just didn't make the plays they needed to. Maybe they just weren't good enough or capable with the match ups they had. Maybe the coaches didn't give them the tools to win. I'm sure Leduc feels the same way after getting thumped in the final by a team that got a roll and rode it all the way to the title. Leduc and Chestermere lost to a team that played better. No excuses including the officiating.

Entertaining year as always in 3A. Its amazing how different it is from 4A. Since the top 3A programs don't play each other very often throughout the year its too bad they all can't get together and have a 3A only 16 team tournament in a central location earlier in the year. Someone should step up and organize it. Stream it so every team can see every team. With 16 teams it would open it up to anyone who thinks they have a shot at a 3A top 10 finish. Maybe a 4 pool draw with roughly seeded teams that are randomly placed in pools with an actual draw like FIFA. That would make 3A better. And WC should be allowed to play 3A. They allow it in Edmonton. Why not the south?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3A Zones -Boys   Today at 1:11 pm

Back to top Go down

3A Zones -Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next