HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Provincials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rebel Hoops

PostSubject: Girls Championship Finals   Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:40 pm

4A Girls Finals

Medicine Hat 59 Spruce Grove  48
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebel Hoops

PostSubject: 4A Boys Final   Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:52 am

4A Boys Finals

Harry Ainlay  101 Cardston 74
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:23 am

Bronze medal and final went as expected. Magrath gave LCI a game but not enough to put the win in jeopardy. No one to guard Seran. No one to guard Mason. Erik had an amazing tournament and almost won the HA game for them. At the other end LCI had no one to guard Tim. If they had someone else it would have been closer. Final was the Awak show. Cardston had no match up. When he was off the box and 1 on Aher was ineffective as HA had too many shooters. Tanner worked hard but was worn down by the physicality. The Russell kid from Cardston was really good with strong cuts and spin/muscle back downs but forced a bit, missed some easy ones and struggled with speed on d. Best grade 10 in the province though. He'll be a force for 2 more years.

Again great tournament by JP. Some good work by the AD, all the volunteers and the school. Well done.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:58 am

Agreed hope everyone had a good basketball season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:58 pm

Let me say first provincials was a great success. That being said their were some anomilies in the rankings. We all know the LCI Ainley game was the championship game. Lci had earned the #1 seed and would have made the championship game that much better. Last year the same thing occurred when the rankers ignored Med Hat which made both years semi matchup the true title game.
Ainley was awesome to watch! I enjoyed the lci ainley game and was entertained and impressed.
Conversely if anyone followed the girls side; the rankers placed med hat as a 10 seed below the 3rd placed team of the zone and med hat won. The excuse was body of work over the season while on the boys side was the winner of the zone got the high ranking.
It was great to see Med hat win through a harder route!
Congrats to the winners and all the participants.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big red

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:59 pm

Define "worn down by the physicality"? He had 18 in the second half and shot 100% from the line for the game, all of which resulted from going to the rim. I would think that would be kind of hard to do if you were "worn down".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Tanner was dominate all year long but HA really rode him hard in that game. There is no question that took a toll. I'm certainly not saying he played poorly so you don't need to convince me otherwise but there is only so much a player can do. You seemed to shy away from letting Tanner guard Awak which seemed like a natural match up. He hurt you. Mason, who is a similar type of player, guarded him in the previous game quite effectively. Any reason for that or was I missing something?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Calgary   Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:06 pm

treyfactor wrote:
South has been very impressive to say the least; Calgary for all their hype ended as usual.. Out early! 3/4 south teams is a great accomplishment and the whole south league should be very proud.  Really convinced they had no love from the rankers all season and proved once again their strength of scheledule.  
I was disappointed that no streaming was from the stfx games but all and all I have enjoyed the games.  Lci and ainley could be the championship game but let's see how it works out.  Excited to watch 3 south teams in semis.

St. Francis, 2
Aberhart 4
Grandin 6
Western 9
Scarlett-top 2 players did not play.

Not bad really...Raymond and Cardston lost to Calgary teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:15 pm

Dear sweet brick, I do believe treyfactor was talking about boys basketball. But, although useless to this argument, yes, the Calgary girls did perform better than the south girls. Although st. Francis was 3 not 2. And 6 and 9? Who cares? Injuries to Scarlett? Part of the game my friend. Most teams have some kind of injury at this point. Anyways, thanks for arguing a useless point. In future threads, when fans from the south are discussing which boys team will be champs next year, please enlighten us about how the Calgary girls teams are doing, cause that would be totally and completely relevant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:43 pm

ill also add my thoughts on the tournament in general. Wasn't able to catch the ot games at the other gym that weren't broadcast, but what I saw and read it looked like this was a fun tournament with some good games. Impressed to see magrath reach the bronze medal game. Moving from 8 to 4 is pretty good. I think some people questioned Cardston at the 4 seed, but they proved it in a win over bishop mcnally again and then beating magrath to get to final. And LCI had an easier path to the semi but had to face ainlay in that game. Heard some chatter about the seeding and how Lci and ainlay shouldn't have been on the same side. Easy to look at the end results and say that's true but it really doesn't matter. Either way they would have had to beat ainlay to win it all. They had their chance to do that and weren't able to. End of story. Best team in the province without a doubt is ainlay. It's nice indeed for the south to have such a strong show, but it's ultimately about who the champ is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 pm

Ball456 wrote:
Dear sweet brick, I do believe treyfactor was talking about boys basketball. But, although useless to this argument, yes, the Calgary girls did perform better than the south girls. Although st. Francis was 3 not 2. And 6 and 9? Who cares? Injuries to Scarlett? Part of the game my friend. Most teams have some kind of injury at this point. Anyways, thanks for arguing a useless point. In future threads, when fans from the south are discussing which boys team will be champs next year, please enlighten us about how the Calgary girls teams are doing, cause that would be totally and completely relevant.

Thanks Ball456 for your insights, suggestions, and comments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Hahaha your welcome. All in good fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big red

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Cardston is a team this year that accomplished more than the sum of the parts. Because of that, It seems to me that they are not getting credit for what they accomplished.

As a side note I think that if they had a big that had similar skill set of LCI or Ainly bigs we could be having a different discussion on the state of Alberta 4A basketball this year.

If you would have told me before the game that Piom would foul out near the beginning of the 4th, and that Aher would only score in the mid teens for the game, I would have told you Cardston's chances of winning that game were better than 50%. However that assesment did not account for the lights out shooting for Ainly that occurred over the course of the game.

I only saw the second half of the Ainly/LCI game, but 2 things stuck out.
1. Ainly almost lost the game because of a poor 3 point shooting percentage. This is a matter of opinion I'm sure, but Ainly was getting the same open looks in both games. The difference was, one game the shots fell, and the other they didnt.
2. I think that LCI was fortunate their game was as close as it was for this reason, Lewis/Nelson stepped up as Gibb/Westrop didn't seem to produce their usual levels. I also may be wrong on that due to watching it on the Internet.

No question in my mind though. Ainly this year is the best in the province.

Agreed one player can only do so much

Also, It seems to me that you think I sit on the Cardston bench. I do sit on a bench, but it is in the stands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lakers92

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:18 pm

I must be missing something here. We walk away with the silver in Zones; we walk away with silver at provincials; we walk away with South coach of the year, and we are not getting credit for our accomplishments?
And your side note? "If we had a big that had similar skill set of LCI or Ainly bigs bigs we could be having a different discussion on the state of Alberta 4A basketball this year?" What a slap in the face to Bruised Head! That kid worked his butt off night in and night out and did a good job on one of the so-called bigs in their first season opening game. Maybe, just maybe, if our guards had fed him the ball more often when he had worked so hard to get open there would be a different discussion.
Lights out shooting? Did you not watch Ainlay throughout the season? I saw them a couple times and they were not ranked number one for most of the season because of ‘Lights out Shooting.”
And the "what if’s." One could say that same thing about the South final. Quinton and Russell didn’t perform, or let’s for a second suggest that they were keyed on and that might account for their apparent lack of performance? One could say the same for Gibb and Westrop. You don’t think that Ainlay didn’t key on LCI’s two stand-outs?
Fortunate? So Gibb/Westrop not producing usual levels and Ainlay not “Shooting the lights out” and LCI is fortunate? What if the duo had been producing their usual numbers, then what? What if Ainlay had been shooting as they had all season and the duo had been producing their usual levels?
My gut feeling is that you’re comparing our season and recognition to LCI's. There’s no other real conclusion to come to especially after looking at your post history. Why would you do that to yourself, to our kids, to our fans and to our community? We should be proud of their accomplishments this season. The kids worked very hard and gave each game their best which resulted in a very good season with tons of very good recognition. We won the Bishop O’Byrne tournament (with Russell, our grade ten kid, as MVP!). We earned second in Zones and second in the Provincial Finals tournament. Not too shabby!! So why then are you claiming that Cardston is not getting the credit we deserve? Simply put, you’re making a comparison between our team and the LCI Rams. There’s little use in that. It makes little sense and holds no logic. It’s an emotional response to finishing higher in the final tournament than LCI. Don’t do that. Give this one to our kids! Comparing us to LCI is yet another “what if” argument. What if we would have lined up against LCI in the draw? I spoke to a good many that thanked our lucky stars that we were on the other side of the draw than both Ainlay and LCI. I'm pretty sure you were one of those that expressed that sentiment before going into the tournament.
So basically in one post you not only diminish the accomplishments of our boys, but those of Ainlay and LCI. So please, give our boys the dignity they deserve and don’t belittle their accomplishments this season through your silly comparisons and “what if’s.” It hurts our kids, our community, diminishes from the fact your son took the scoring title this season (according to southhoops) and looks very poor on you, but ultimately makes us all, in our proud community, sound like ungrateful poor sports. Think before you post!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Big red

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm pretty sure that's not the message I was trying to send. Check your PMs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Provincials   Today at 7:27 pm

Back to top Go down

4A Provincials
View previous topic View next topic Back to top