HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: 4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms   Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:05 pm

Let's take a moment and give credit to some of this seasons coaches. Who are each zones Coach of the Year nominees and winners? Who did the most with the players he or she had? Any builders out there, programs on a rise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldschoolcoach80

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms   Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:56 pm

For Calgary I have two picks. I would go with the Centennial coach because she had to fill some big shoes after the old coach left and then when the star player was injured they had to come together as a team and they still played strong. I thought she did a great job.

My second pick would be the coach from Scarlett because for the talent they had, they made it to provincials which is very impressive. I know they didn't do well but the fact they made it there with the limited amount of talent says wonders about their program and the coach

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms   Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:50 pm

Good nominees, I would respectively disagree as Scarlett made provincials as a result of the 5th spot being given to Calgary. The Centennial Coach did have some big shoes to fill but I do believe they did underachieve and should have been more of an impact than they were. Injury or no injury they do have a number of club players and cant understand some of their losses.

keeping with the two nominee idea I would suggest Western Canada - although I recognize that the Western team is full of club players they are mostly grade 10 and 11's. Throughout the entire year Western was ranked in the top 10 and beat a number of high ranked teams. Getting a young group to play at a high level is not easy and I think they had the team playing at a high level for most of the season.

I would also nominee William Aberhart - unlike Western only a few players at Abe are in the club system. For that team to get back to the city championship game and finish 4th at provincials is something that deserves recognition. I have been impressed with the progress of the Aberhart program since the coach has arrived (3 years ago). This team will be around in the future as long as the coach is there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms   Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:17 pm

I'd like to give some love to some Catholic schools in Calgary, namely Grandin, Francis and St. Mary's. Grandin started the season slow, but really came on towards the end of the season because their coaching staff had them playing some great ball. Their final regular season game vs. Centennial was one of the most dominate wins in the city. Francis finished first in Calgary with no losses in regular season and in playoffs. The Francis coaching staff must have been doing something right. Mary's coaching staff used a lot of smoke and mirrors to somehow finish in 7th place and even get an honourable mention for provincials.

As far as the other coaches nominated in this post, I believe Centennial finished in 2nd place in the pre-season and did'nt even qualify for provincial (mind you, their best player was injured).

Finally, for a team with very limited depth, the coaching staff at Churchill did a usual bang up job with that team. It will be interesting to see if he comes back next year...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
oldschoolcoach80

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms   Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:15 am

I would not suggest Abe coach because of the talent the program he has had for the past 3 seasons. Easy to coach future CIS players compared to regular players. So few kids in Calgary go to CIS programs so when Abe has them it makes it easier to have success on a team. Some may argue they under achieved and should have won a championship at one point in the past 3 years. Lets see what happens to Abe next year without Erin. If he has the same success then he should be recognized

Western has a bunch of club players and there achievements didn't surprise anyone this year so I'm not sure if that earns Coach of the Year

I think St. Mary's coach should be considered. The talent, or lack of talent that is there, they produce great teams year after year. Coach of the year should be someone who doesn't have alot of talent on the team but gets the most out of them and has smaller successes. Also Churchill competed with everyone and have no club or CIS players.

I'm not saying the Abe or Western coach are bad coaches but lets look at programs that don't have the high talent and are still able to compete
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms   Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:12 pm

Interesting points. I wouldn't be so quick to discredit both Abe and Westerns coaches.
I don't think Abe has as many club and CIS players as you think. Yes Erin is a great player but shes only one player. The rest of the team, from what I know, has one or two club players and the rest only play basketball at school. I don't think its fair to not give recognition because the team has one CIS player. I think its about exceeding expectations and getting a group to perform above its ability. I also must say its not fair to say that Abe should have won a championship in the last three years....give the guy a break. Last two years they lost to centennial and Francis.... they lost to better teams, at least they got to the game.

I need to make the same argument when it comes to Western. I disagree I don't think expectations were as high as the level they played at points in the season. Yes all of the players play club, mostly with CBA, but they were still grade 10's and 11's. Look at some of the wins Western had this season, beat a bunch of top 10 teams. I can personally say that I thought Western was going to compete but I didn't think they would have had some of the wins that they did.

I'm sorry I didn't start this feed for an argument but I don't think its fair to discredit because of one player or because of some club players. Coaching isn't easy, a lot of time and effort is put in.... coaching at the highest level against the best.... takes more than one player.

I think all of the coaches you have said deserve credit. Marys pulled off some big wins, Grandin was playing some extremely strong basketball down the stretch, and Centennial.... well she was in a tough stop before the season even started. All I know is that without coaches the athletes cant play.... Thank You to ALL the coaches for what you do!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms   Today at 7:17 am

Back to top Go down

4A Girls Coach of the Year Noms
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1