HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

2015 BC All-Star Selection

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
theTICKET

PostSubject: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:41 am

Just saw this on twitter.

Anyone that you guys think that should be on this list? Anyone that shouldn't?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cdnballers

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:08 am

Wowie Untalan was unreal for Delview suprised hes not on there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bostonstrangler

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:16 am

Jason Scully - SMUS should be there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theTICKET

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:43 am

I agree, both Wowie Untalan and Jason Scully should have made the list. Wowie Untalan was the best player for nearly the whole tournament. He, at times, carried his team in every game and very much showed he is a top player in BC. For instance, he had 36Pts 9Ast 9Rbs in the first game, a triple double in the second game, 42Pts in a clutch performance in the Semi-Finals, and led Delview in scoring in The Finals. Very surprised and disappointed that he did not make the All-Star team. Also, Jason Scully remained the best player for SMU in the whole tournament. The guy could not be stopped and led his team in scoring. He combined both skill and athleticism in each game at the AA Provincials and amazed teams, and was the most fundamentally sound player in the whole tournament.

Also, really surprised that only one player from Single A, one player from Double A, and 3 players from triple A are only featured in a list where there obviously is a bias for Quad A players. I am not saying these players do not deserve to be considered, but one tier should not be heavily favored over the other tiers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:58 pm

theTICKET wrote:

Also, really surprised that only one player from Single A, one player from Double A, and 3 players from triple A are only featured in a list where there obviously is a bias for Quad A players. I am not saying these players do not deserve to be considered, but one tier should not be heavily favored over the other tiers.

FYI last year there were only 5 players from 1A-3A out of 20 players on the All-Star team, this year actually has an increase of 1A-3A which is up to 6 players (Okuma, Schneller, Barfoot, Miller, Hyde-Lay, Stewart) out 20 players. Also this list was just the initial invites, there will likely be withdrawals from players not able to attend and players not listed will probably be added to the game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theTICKET

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:04 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
theTICKET wrote:

FYI last year there were only 5 players from 1A-3A out of 20 players on the All-Star team, this year actually has an increase of 1A-3A which is up to 6 players (Okuma, Schneller, Barfoot, Miller, Hyde-Lay, Stewart) out 20 players. Also this list was just the initial invites, there will likely be withdrawals from players not able to attend and players not listed will probably be added to the game.

This is from last years All-Star thread:

ebe wrote:
PROVINCIAL ALLSTAR GAME ROSTERS
TEAM LOPEZ (Home)
Player No. Position Height Wgt High School Coach
1 Mindy Minhas 15 Guard 6'5 205 Winston Churchil Rick Lopez
2 Alex Coote 9 Guard 6'2 180 West Point Grey Bob Dodds
3 Grant Galbraith 20 Center 6'9 225 Gleneagle Tony Scott
4 Corey Hauck 11 Guard 5'10 170 WJ Mouat Rich Ralston
5 Kosia Cauw 20 Forward 6'7 190 BC Christian Doug Dowell
6 Sukhjot Bains 25 Guard 6'6 195 Tamanawis Mike McKay
7 Alex Jordache 13 Guard 6'4 200 Claremont David Sundher
8 Elijah Campbell‐Axson 4 Guard 6'2 170 Vancouver College Lloyd Scrubb
9 Eric Rogers 13 Guard 6'4 195 Sardis Kyle Graves
10 Nick Tancon 23 Forward 06‐Jul 200 Highland Murray Erickson
Head Coach Rick Lopez ‐ Sir Winston Churchill
Assistant Coach Cam MacGillivary ‐ Sir Winston Churchill
TEAM MITCHELL (Away)
Player No. Position Height Wgt High School Coach
1 Reece Morris 8 Forward 6'3 185 St. Thomas More Aaron Mitchell
2 Joe Davis 22 Forward 6'6 200 Westsyde Ryan Porter
3 Matt Neufeld 33 Forward 6'10 225 Lambrick Park Ed Somers
4 Ismail Abdualhi 6 Gurad 510 160 Lambrick Park Ed Somers
5 Hayden Lejeune 21 Forward 6'7 200 Sardis Kyle Graves
6 Jadon Cohee 12 Guard 6'4 175 Walnut Grove George Bergen
7 Jonathan Kongbo 20 Forward 6'6 230 Holy Cross Matt Le Chasseur
8 Denver Sparkes‐Guest 7 Guard/Forward 6'5 185 Gleneagle Tony Scott
9 Nathan Vogstad 20 Guard 6'0 180 Queen Charlotte Dave Wahl
10 Patrick Vandervelden 14 Forward 6'9 185 Yale Evan Roberts
Head Coach Aaron Mitchell ‐ St. Thomas More Collegiate
Assistant Coach Dominic Zimmerman ‐ St. Thomas More Collegiate

Out of the players that were selected last year SEVEN players where selected outside of Quad A. So that is more than the number of players selected this year. Regardless of that, there is no justification that Quad A was 80% better than 1A-3A combined, during a year where Double A was as competitive as Quad A, Triple A was much deeper from last year, and Quad A was weaker from last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:02 pm

theTICKET wrote:

Out of the players that were selected last year SEVEN players where selected outside of Quad A. So that is more than the number of players selected this year. Regardless of that, there is no justification that Quad A was 80% better than 1A-3A combined, during a year where Double A was as competitive as Quad A, Triple A was much deeper from last year, and Quad A was weaker from last year.

Aren't there actually 9 players playing from 1A-3A schools on this yrs list, as weren't Holy Cross, Oak Bay and Pitt Meadows all playing up in tier this yr?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
theTICKET

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Aren't there actually 9 players playing from 1A-3A schools on this yrs list, as weren't Holy Cross, Oak Bay and Pitt Meadows all playing up in tier this yr?

Yes they did play up this year, they also played up last year as well. They will still be considered as Quad A teams because they elected to play in a higher tier.

The argument here is not what team played at what tier, but the argument is that players from the Quad A division are receiving more coverage due to the tier they play in. I understand that the Quad A tier will receive more attention as it is composed of larger schools, but why should players from lower tiered teams be penalized for not playing in the Quad A division. For instance, from Double A I can name a few players that should be on the list (Jason Scully, Wowie Untalan, Hunter Hughes).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:05 pm

theTICKET wrote:

Yes they did play up this year, they also played up last year as well. They will still be considered as Quad A teams because they elected to play in a higher tier.

The argument here is not what team played at what tier, but the argument is that players from the Quad A division are receiving more coverage due to the tier they play in. I understand that the Quad A tier will receive more attention as it is composed of larger schools, but why should players from lower tiered teams be penalized for not playing in the Quad A division. For instance, from Double A I can name a few players that should be on the list (Jason Scully, Wowie Untalan, Hunter Hughes).

Hunter Hughes is only a GR.11, don't know the last time someone other than a Sr was chosen for this game.
I could prolly name a half-dozen 4A players not listed who should be, but when I try naming 1 more clear cut 1A or 2A player outside of Scully and Untalan (who are obvious choices) I can't come up with one, nothing against the lower tiers, but the truth is the top tier players aside from a select few play at the highest tier, when was the last time the best player in BC played at 1A or 2A?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HF

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:12 pm

theTICKET wrote:

Hunter Hughes can't be on that list since he is only a GR.11. But I could prolly name a half-dozen 4A players not listed who should be, but when I try naming 1 more clear cut 1A or 2A player outside of Scully and Untalan (who are obvious choices) I can't come up with one, nothing against the lower tiers, but the truth is the top tier players aside from a select few play at the highest tier, when was the last time the best player in BC played at 1A or 2A?

What a strange discussion this is. Tier has no bearing on how good a player is. I would hope that the selector(s) has seen all these players play and made the best decision they can on what they saw. If a player has an off game when being watched, or sitting on the bench because it's a blow out then that will affect the decision. Law of averages say Quad A will get the most and like all all-star selections there will be people who disagree with the selections. It's what makes it fun to discuss. But to assume there is a bias would be a big assumption...IMO.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
X-Man

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:25 pm

Just for seniors
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:43 pm

maybe some of them were asked and they couldn't make it?

Although I would've found a way to get Harry Brar into this game if he isn't still injured. Probably would have him over a guy from a school they knocked out of the playoffs.

What that team did this year was just nuts. When was the last time Kits was not in the city final?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VicFan

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:25 am

I'd pick Jason Scully BEFORE any of the island picks (Barfoot, Charles, Gray, Hyde-Lay), not that any of that group isn't deserving. It's a toss-up as to the best Island player Scully vs Josh Charles. Of the 20 listed, there "might" be 6-7 legit CIS players, along with 2 potential D1 guys, & Scully is in that elite group.

My group of 20 would've included Atlas St Paul Butler from Oak Bay as well.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth2.0

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:25 pm

theTICKET wrote:
I agree, both Wowie Untalan and Jason Scully should have made the list. Wowie Untalan was the best player for nearly the whole tournament. He, at times, carried his team in every game and very much showed he is a top player in BC. For instance, he had 36Pts 9Ast 9Rbs in the first game, a triple double in the second game, 42Pts in a clutch performance in the Semi-Finals, and led Delview in scoring in The Finals. Very surprised and disappointed that he did not make the All-Star team. Also, Jason Scully remained the best player for SMU in the whole tournament. The guy could not be stopped and led his team in scoring. He combined both skill and athleticism in each game at the AA Provincials and amazed teams, and was the most fundamentally sound player in the whole tournament.

Thank you for this post, I had a great laugh. No disrespect to anyone who plays in a lower division than AAAA, but there is no comparison. In my opinion we have too many lower tear players in the all star game. I didnt even know Kelowna Christian had a team! Tyus Batiste not being in this game is a joke and a half. Maybe 3 or 4 A, AA and AAA players COMBINED should participate in this contest.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:50 am

Senior Boys Provincial All Star Game

Team Taylor - Away Team - Dark Uniforms
Away Team Roster
40 - Emeka Okuma, Fleetwood Park
8 - Jomari Reyes, Terry Fox
23 - Mike West, Terry Fox
10 - Jermaine Haley, Burnaby South
7 - Chris Schneller, Charles Tupper
7 - Cordell Parker, Heritage Woods
2 - Graham Smith, Pitt Meadows
5 - Taylor Browne, Holy Cross
35 - Graham Miller, Charles Best
9 - Wowie Untalan, Delview
Coach - Jordan Taylor, Fleetwood Park

Team Roberts - Home Team - Light Uniforms
Home Team Roster
11 - Jauquin Bennett-Boire, Yale
3 - Matt Gray, Oak Bay
24 - Tyler Anderson, Walnut Grove
12 - Josh Charles, Cowichan
4 - Jeff Tubbs, Mt. Boucherie
6 - Graeme Hyde-Lay, St. Michaels
14 - Tyus Barfoot, Nanaimo
23 - Anthony Hokanson, Kitsilano
30 - Gary Minhas, Sir Winston Churchill
15 - Elias Ellison, Semiahmoo
Coach - Evan Roberts, Yale

@ The Langley Events Centre
Girls at 3 PM, Boys at 5 PM

Admission: $5 - Students | $10 - Adults
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:00 pm

In the Boys All-Star Game, Team Taylor came away with the W over Team Roberts 101-82.
Mike West (Terry Fox) led all scorers with 18 points and Taylor Browne (Holy Cross) had 16 points in the win. Browne was voted Player of the Game for Team Taylor.
Team Roberts was led by Jauquin Bennett-Boire (Yale), who scored 16 points while Joshua Charles (Cowichan) finished the game with 14 points and Player of the Game for Team Roberts.

Boxscore: http://www.langleyeventscentre.com/sites/default/files/u23/boys%20scoresheet_0.pdf
Video Recap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_sD-Cclq0g&feature=youtu.be
Game Archive: http://portal.stretchinternet.com/tfsetv/full.htm?eventId=213843
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 BC All-Star Selection   Today at 7:26 pm

Back to top Go down

2015 BC All-Star Selection
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1