HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Best High School Players All-Time in NB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
monctonballer



Posts : 1
Join date : 2010-04-17

PostSubject: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Just want to throw it out there to see what people think and to get some discussion between eras.

My junior and senior years were 02 and 03.

I think the best players from that time were

Clint Bateman
Jared Budd
Struan Smith

Anyone have good memories of those 3 or others?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf



Posts : 191
Join date : 2009-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:14 am

ooooooh pleeeaaaase!!!! Those guys are even in the same snack bracket as

Elliot Thompson (FHS) , Joey Wells ( Saint John), Graham Scott SJHS) , Josh Graham (St Macs), Jon Ryan (Sussex) , Bob aucoin (Campbellton) , Dan White (Riverview) , Middleton from Petticodiac ,

Those guys wouldn't even be top 10...except Budd , who would be close...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR



Posts : 736
Join date : 2010-01-22
Location : Southern NB

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:03 pm

obcnamtaf wrote:
ooooooh pleeeaaaase!!!! Those guys are even in the same snack bracket as

Elliot Thompson (FHS) , Joey Wells ( Saint John), Graham Scott SJHS) , Josh Graham (St Macs), Jon Ryan (Sussex) , Bob aucoin (Campbellton) , Dan White (Riverview) , Middleton from Petticodiac ,

Those guys wouldn't even be top 10...except Budd , who would be close...

Those are some great names. Todd Middleton was sick and Bob Aucoin was a beast. Wow the memories!

Guys like Gordon McNeilly (Fredericton), Mike King (Saint John), Tony Brain (Perth Andover) come to mind as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eddie Vedder



Posts : 11
Join date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:28 pm

here are a few other names for you from the 80's and 90's

Richie Sullivan FHS-made Canadian university games team
John Ryan- Sussex- best player ever from NB
Colin Ring SJHS palyed football and basketball @ Acadia
Dave Low -Riverview
Jordan McCormick FHS AUAA rookie of the year
Jason Darling KV
Joey Walker KV
ryan Johnston Harrison Trimble
Joel Pederson Carleton North

Tony Brain should not be included with any of the above names, he wouldn't have even made any FHS teams in the 80s and 90s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:42 pm

John Ryan would be on the short list but I'm not sure he's the best ever. As far as I know John only played 1 year on the Jr. National team and never made a Sr. team, although there was some controversy as to why. Other names not mentioned yet that might be considered in the conversation are...

Rod Cox (SJHS) - Starting PG for UNB's only championship team and Sr. National team '70
Norm "Rip" Seely (SJHS) - 8 maritime championships when club team ball was king. Only male BB player in NB Sports HOF
Dave Barry (St. Macs???) - Led Atlantic in scoring & rebounding while at St. FX back when there was no limits on Americans
Mike Keirstead (SJHS) - CIS Team 2nd All Canadian - only All Canadian in UNB's history
Andy Hayward (FHS) - Led Atlantic in scoring at least 1 season while at UNB
Ryan Graham (St. Macs) - NCAA D1 walk-on at American University - average 15+ min/game Sr. year
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Eddie Vedder



Posts : 11
Join date : 2010-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:35 am

I just mentioned some of names of players I saw play in the 80's and 90's. Obviously Rod Cox, and Rip Seeley would have been in any list of the best players in NB. Rod Cox was still a serious players well into his 50's. I also agree with Kierstead and Hayward. I guess I forgot to give Saint John some love.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KrazyKunuck



Posts : 4
Join date : 2010-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:07 pm

Jan Trojanowski? All-Canadian at Acadia. Gee, I knew Andy Heyward led the country in shots, I didn't realize he led the AUS in scoring...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 258
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Sat May 01, 2010 12:27 pm

Eddie Vedder wrote:
here are a few other names for you from the 80's and 90's

Richie Sullivan FHS-made Canadian university games team
John Ryan- Sussex- best player ever from NB
Colin Ring SJHS palyed football and basketball @ Acadia
Dave Low -Riverview
Jordan McCormick FHS AUAA rookie of the year
Jason Darling KV
Joey Walker KV
ryan Johnston Harrison Trimble
Joel Pederson Carleton North

Tony Brain should not be included with any of the above names, he wouldn't have even made any FHS teams in the 80s and 90s.

It is funny to me that you mention Darling and Walker - but don't mention Bryan Elliot - cause I would put him ahead of those two...but that is just me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Sat May 01, 2010 12:45 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
Eddie Vedder wrote:
here are a few other names for you from the 80's and 90's

Richie Sullivan FHS-made Canadian university games team
John Ryan- Sussex- best player ever from NB
Colin Ring SJHS palyed football and basketball @ Acadia
Dave Low -Riverview
Jordan McCormick FHS AUAA rookie of the year
Jason Darling KV
Joey Walker KV
ryan Johnston Harrison Trimble
Joel Pederson Carleton North

Tony Brain should not be included with any of the above names, he wouldn't have even made any FHS teams in the 80s and 90s.

It is funny to me that you mention Darling and Walker - but don't mention Bryan Elliot - cause I would put him ahead of those two...but that is just me.

Bryan Elliot was a load. Best rebounded I've seen. Unfortunately a knee injury his first year at UNB prevented us from seeing how good he could have been. He definitely didn't accomplish as much as JD or Joe following high school.

The best player from that era at KVHS was a kid named Chirs Moore however. He moved back to California for his Sr. year so we didn't get to his him at his best but I've been told by guys who know him that he played D1 after high school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 258
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Sat May 01, 2010 4:00 pm

Hardfouls wrote:
GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
Eddie Vedder wrote:
here are a few other names for you from the 80's and 90's

Richie Sullivan FHS-made Canadian university games team
John Ryan- Sussex- best player ever from NB
Colin Ring SJHS palyed football and basketball @ Acadia
Dave Low -Riverview
Jordan McCormick FHS AUAA rookie of the year
Jason Darling KV
Joey Walker KV
ryan Johnston Harrison Trimble
Joel Pederson Carleton North

Tony Brain should not be included with any of the above names, he wouldn't have even made any FHS teams in the 80s and 90s.

It is funny to me that you mention Darling and Walker - but don't mention Bryan Elliot - cause I would put him ahead of those two...but that is just me.

Bryan Elliot was a load. Best rebounded I've seen. Unfortunately a knee injury his first year at UNB prevented us from seeing how good he could have been. He definitely didn't accomplish as much as JD or Joe following high school.

The best player from that era at KVHS was a kid named Chirs Moore however. He moved back to California for his Sr. year so we didn't get to his him at his best but I've been told by guys who know him that he played D1 after high school.

Oh, I misunderstood the thread...I thought we were talking about the best 'HIGH SCHOOL' players of all time....but I guess we are including AFTER HIGH SCHOOL as well.

Yeah - the '87 KV team ws stacked...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Sat May 01, 2010 10:22 pm

My bad. If we're talking best HIGH SCHOOL players that changes things. There has been some very dominate high school players that, for various reasons, didn't do the same at the next level.

Allan Abbas from HTHS back in the late 70's early 80's was impossible to stop. He wasn't the most skilled but at 6'9" he didn't need to be. He went on to medical school so didn't play at the next level.

Robbie Corlett from Miramchi was fun to watch. Very creative ball handler and good outside shooter.

Robin McLaughlin from Grand Manan was in the same grade class as John Ryan and Joe Walker and some would say was better.

Rod Wilson from St. Stephen was a dominate scorer and made the game look easy. Went to play baseball instead.

Otis Delaney from SJHS was unguardable in high school. He went on to have a great career at St. FX.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 258
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Sun May 02, 2010 12:54 am

Hardfouls wrote:
My bad. If we're talking best HIGH SCHOOL players that changes things. There has been some very dominate high school players that, for various reasons, didn't do the same at the next level.

Allan Abbas from HTHS back in the late 70's early 80's was impossible to stop. He wasn't the most skilled but at 6'9" he didn't need to be. He went on to medical school so didn't play at the next level.

Robbie Corlett from Miramchi was fun to watch. Very creative ball handler and good outside shooter.

Robin McLaughlin from Grand Manan was in the same grade class as John Ryan and Joe Walker and some would say was better.

Rod Wilson from St. Stephen was a dominate scorer and made the game look easy. Went to play baseball instead.

Otis Delaney from SJHS was unguardable in high school. He went on to have a great career at St. FX.

Robin was a teammate of mine in '87 and '88. That would have been his grade 9 and 10 years. So much talent...and did everything so effortlessly. It is a shame he didn't play at the next level. I think he attended UNB for a week or so....and his brother Peter who played in the late 70's had a chance to play for the Maine Black Bears..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastprimetime



Posts : 31
Join date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Thu May 06, 2010 4:39 pm

I would venture Seldon Shaw who went on to play at UCCB and ACadia. While Tony Brain may not deserve to be there it is hard to not consider a player who scored over 3000 pts in 4 years(1200+ in his last year) in the era of 3 divisions and his school was one of the smallest at the AA level. I believe that to30% of their schedule was traditionally against AAA teams and did include FHS in his last year as an exhibition
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Thu May 06, 2010 11:13 pm

Ranking players based on scoring can be misleading. Andrew Holmes put up huge numbers every game for Hampton High School and all his games were against AAA schools. Same for Mike Anderson for Harbour View. I don't think either are in the conversation for greatest ever.

Another name from the past would be Bob Fagan from FHS back in the 70's. I never saw him play but have heard he might be the best ever at FHS. Not sure if that's true but if he is then that says a lot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Boas 98-02



Posts : 443
Join date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Tue May 11, 2010 2:03 pm

I guess from my era Nick Fletcher from Campobello,Dustin Barker from Campobello,Bruce Coldwell from Devon Park,Ben Plume from Petty(pretty sure that was his name),Billy Brawn whom I played with from UMRHS, there were lots I'm forgetting but these guys stand out for me, tonnes of talent has come through this province, and there will be a lot more!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BlindAsABat



Posts : 14
Join date : 2010-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:24 pm

Diane Norman - future Oylmpian - dominant high schooler
Jackie Fleiger - 45 points in her last high school game at the AUS - outstanding shooter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NB Basketball



Posts : 10
Join date : 2010-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Elliot Thompson hands down
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:29 pm

I've said it before and will say it again....Elliott is probably not even top 5 all time from FHS. He's a great player, maybe the best work ethic but not the best high school player ever from NB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
GM Breaker '84-'88



Posts : 258
Join date : 2010-02-01
Age : 46
Location : Canada

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 pm


I think it has to be defined - best high school player or best high school player INCLUDING what they did after high school. Most likely two different lists.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastprimetime



Posts : 31
Join date : 2010-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:29 am

It is also very difficult to rate players from different eras, the gme was played differently in the 70s and 80s than it is today and some of the skills or the importance on certain skills has changed as has the coaching. Also who is rating and what did they use for their criteria. Some of the gretest pros had trouble using their off hands but were still condiered great. I think you would have a happier table if you were to look at decades.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:19 am

Ranking by decade...interesting idea. Here is my cut...

'70 = Bob Aucoin
'80 = John Ryan
'90 = Gord McNeilly / Mike Kierstead (can't decide)
'00 = Graham Scott

Sorry, don't know enough of the players to give rankings for the decades prior to the 70's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Chris C



Posts : 1
Join date : 2011-11-08

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Aucoin
Andy Hayward
Tony Walker
Ed McNally
Rod Cox
Tony Mathews
Kevin Lewis
Wally Banks
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours



Posts : 31
Join date : 2010-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:49 pm

Wayne Shaw was a very strong player I played against in the early 80s. I think he played after high school too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:51 pm

Chris C wrote:
Aucoin
Andy Hayward
Tony Walker
Ed McNally
Rod Cox
Tony Mathews
Kevin Lewis
Wally Banks

Not sure what this list represents but I've played with or against everyone on this list, except Tony Mathews. Aucoin and Cox were on a different level than the others. Hayward would be a close 3rd. The rest were all good players but I'm not sure they would be consider best of all time.

Where & when did Tony Mathews play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Hardfouls



Posts : 139
Join date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:53 pm

Sincerely Yours wrote:
Wayne Shaw was a very strong player I played against in the early 80s. I think he played after high school too.

Where did Wayne Shaw play?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Best High School Players All-Time in NB   Today at 5:30 am

Back to top Go down
 
Best High School Players All-Time in NB
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Best High School Players All-Time in NB
» FLEMING COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS BASKETBALL TIP-OFFS 2011
» Canadian Top 25 Pre-Season High School Rankings - North Pole Hoops
» top 20 players in alberta?
» 2014-15 High School Season

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: New Brunswick-
Jump to: