HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Division I (College) Scholarships

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ebe

PostSubject: Division I (College) Scholarships   Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:26 am

I found this interesting article.
Here is a reality check on what your actual chances are of getting that scholarship to play Division 1 basketball.

Here’s the math:
◦There are currently 351 Division 1 teams that each offer 13 scholarships a year.
◦On average, that means there are 1141 available new scholarships each year.
◦However, 30% of Junior College/Prep School players take those scholarships (342 total) that leaves us with 800.
◦Additionally, 10% of all scholarships go to overseas players which means we need to take off another 114.
◦That leaves us with 686 players that Division 1 schools can sign directly out of High School in the US.
◦Now let’s do some sums. There are 38,400 public and private High Schools in the US that offer a basketball program.
◦On average, there are 4 seniors that play for each varsity team.
◦This means there are 154,600 High School Seniors, give or take, trying to get 686 scholarships.
◦The math on that? 0.4%. Yes, as an American High School Senior you have a 0.4% chance of getting an NCAA Division 1 scholarship.
◦It gets worse though. Half of these scholarships will go to players 6’5″ or taller. So if you’re under 6’5″, reduce your chances to about 0.2%.

However, all is not lost. Division 2 program offers 765 scholarships per year, and NAIA schools offers a thousand plus, half or full, scholarships. So in total this increases your odds to around a 1% chance of getting a scholarship to college if you’re a HS senior.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott

PostSubject: Re: Division I (College) Scholarships   Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:47 am

ebe wrote:
I found this interesting article.
Here is a reality check on what your actual chances are of getting that scholarship to play Division 1 basketball.

Here’s the math:
◦There are currently 351 Division 1 teams that each offer 13 scholarships a year.
◦On average, that means there are 1141 available new scholarships each year.
◦However, 30% of Junior College/Prep School players take those scholarships (342 total) that leaves us with 800.
◦Additionally, 10% of all scholarships go to overseas players which means we need to take off another 114.
◦That leaves us with 686 players that Division 1 schools can sign directly out of High School in the US.
◦Now let’s do some sums. There are 38,400 public and private  High Schools in the US that offer a basketball program.
◦On average, there are 4 seniors that play for each varsity team.
◦This means there are 154,600 High School Seniors, give or take, trying to get 686 scholarships.
◦The math on that? 0.4%. Yes,  as an American High School Senior you have a 0.4% chance of getting an NCAA Division 1 scholarship.
◦It gets worse though. Half of these scholarships will go to players 6’5″ or taller. So if you’re under 6’5″, reduce your chances to about 0.2%.

However, all is not lost. Division 2 program offers 765 scholarships per year, and NAIA schools offers a thousand plus, half or full, scholarships. So in total this increases your odds to around a 1% chance of getting a scholarship to college if you’re a HS senior.

Good reality check, but....Number of kids who do what it takes and are in the gym at 6am to improve their game - 2%.  Percentage of those kids who want a D1 basketball scholarship. 50%. So we are down to 1 percent....  Odds are looking better.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pooch

PostSubject: 13 new per year?   Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:32 am

Hi Ebe,

I think you mean the schools have a total of 13 scholarships at any one time.
Is that correct?
Likely 3-4 per school offered per year.
Anyway, I think your end numbers are accurate.
Thanks for posting this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Division I (College) Scholarships   Thu May 28, 2015 10:13 pm

Pooch wrote:
Hi Ebe,

I think you mean the schools have a total of 13 scholarships at any one time.
Is that correct?
Likely 3-4 per school offered per year.
Anyway, I think your end numbers are accurate.
Thanks for posting this.

Not to put a downer on these numbers but I think your numbers are actually high... there are even less scholarships available as their are almost always academic ineligible players, that have got their grades back up and are now waiting in the wings to get back on the team and they don't count against the existing numbers. Then there are the Div 1 transfers that are sitting out a year to become eligible to play - they use up yet another scholarship spot.

I've talked with a number of Div 1 and Div 2 coaches about recruits and a lot of them don't even consider high school players unless they are the top 5% of all high school kids out there. They look for transfers that have 1 or 2 years seasoning under their belt. They want players that have gone to school at NAIA/Div 3/Junior College/2-year schools and have developed and are older more mature players - more mature bodies. They bring them in for their 2nd, 3rd and 4th year. A number of them bring in a 2nd year player, have them red-shirt for the 3rd year - then play their final two years of eligibility in years 4 and 5. This is quite common. I was quite surprised by this and queried the reasons. Coach asked me to come to a practice and see if I still had the same question when the practice was over... I watched the Div 2 team practice... I had my answer. Every one of them were MEN - not high school kids, all had very good muscle definition, all worked out regularly. They were all were very tough and physically in the great condition of a 20/21/22 year old.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Division I (College) Scholarships   Today at 3:07 pm

Back to top Go down

Division I (College) Scholarships
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1