HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Is all this specialization good for kids?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ebe

PostSubject: Is all this specialization good for kids?   Wed May 20, 2015 8:42 pm

I think this is a topic that many parents and kids need to think a little more seriously about. There is lots of good literature on this topic and I thought I would post some articles every now and then. It would be great if others would share their thoughts and post other articles. This first one is from the perspective of an emergency room doctor who has been involved with his own kids in sport and spoke to many more parents.
http://www.nuvo.net/GuestVoices/archives/2014/03/18/your-kid-and-my-kid-are-not-playing-in-the-pros
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crushgroove

PostSubject: Re: Is all this specialization good for kids?   Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:16 am

Coach -

As a professional trainer and a HS coach who sees this everyday I had a long winded response that somehow got deleted. In short the answer is NO!
what, 1% go pro and 5-8% play college?

For all you youngsters who are paying good money for these services let me share a secret with you. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS SPORT SPECIFIC TRAINING!
Sport specific training is what you do with you coaches or skills coach. In the gym? It's all athletic development and it translates to all sports. Particularly at a young age. We train all athletes basically the same.

This year something like 44 of 56 NFL players taken in the draft were multi sport guys in highschool.

You get one shot!!!Enjoy it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callen75

PostSubject: Re: Is all this specialization good for kids?   Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 pm

yes this is good
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.aseds.org/page
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is all this specialization good for kids?   Today at 7:34 am

Back to top Go down

Is all this specialization good for kids?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1