HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Proposed changes to NBIAA regionals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hoop dreamer

PostSubject: Proposed changes to NBIAA regionals   Sun May 31, 2015 2:07 pm

Anybody hear about these motions to NBIAA regarding changes to regional formats.....thoughts anyone ?

This is on agenda for NBIAA. AGM this week ?

>
>
>
> 1. Senior Basketball Regionals
>
> Preamble:
>
> These proposed changes impact Regionals only, not the Sectional
> Playoffs or the Final 12.
>
> The NBIAA Executive Committee feels that we should reduce the number of
> teams participating in Senior Basketball Regionals from 8 teams to 6
> teams.
>
> In this past season, at the “AAA” and “AA” levels, there were no “true”
> 8 team Regionals.
>
> We had any of the following 3 scenarios:
>
> a) A 5th place team was forced to move to other side and become
> the 4th place team (ex. South #5 becomes West #4) to create an 8 team
> Regional. Most #5 seeds don’t like this scenario and it incurs cost
> and travel for a team that actually didn’t make the playoffs.
>
> b) A 7 team Regional.
>
> c) A 6 team Regional.
>
> In many Regionals, the #1 v #4 game score is often lopsided and the #4
> team incurs travel and expense knowing they are most likely “one and
> done”.
>
>
>
> OPTION A
>
> Same format as we have now, but Host #1 and Guest #1 get a first round
bye.
>
> 4 games on Friday. 2 games on Saturday (the 3-4 game and the 1-2 game).
>
> Comments:
>
> Host #1 and Guest #1 are guaranteed to advance to Sectionals.
>
> This is still a “one and done” situation for 2 teams.
>
>
>
> OPTION B
>
> Pool A: Host #1, Guest #2, Host #3
>
> Pool B: Guest #1, Host #2, Guest #3
>
> 6 pool games on Friday starting at 10:00.
>
> If three teams in a pool finish 1-1, NBIAA tie-breaking procedure is used.

>
> Top 2 in each pool advance to crossovers on Saturday (A1 v B2, B1 v
> A2), followed by 3-4 game and 1-2 game (4 Saturday games).
>
> Comments:
>
> There is no “one and done”. Two teams get 2 games and four teams get 4
> games.
>
> Four games may be too many for a playoff weekend….fatigue and injuries
> to consider.
>
>
>
> OPTION C
>
>
>
>

>
> A2 and B2 advance to 3-4 game on Saturday. A1 and B1 advance to 1-2
> game on Saturday.
>
> Comments:
>
> There is no “one and done”. Two teams get 2 games and four teams get 3
> games.
>
>
>
> Final comment: None of these options address the “issues” we sometimes
> encounter in the Saturday 3-4 game.
>
>
>
> 2. Junior Basketball Provincials
>
> Preamble:
>
> The NBIAA Executive Committee feels that we should set the number of
> teams participating in Junior Basketball Provincials at 6 teams.
>
> Using pool play, this avoids “one and done” scenarios and make the
> Provincial Championship more of an “event” for all teams involved.
>
> Currently in A/AA, there is often only have 6 teams in provincials and
> four of those teams are “one and done”.
>
>
>
>
>
>

>
> Top 2 in each pool advance to crossovers on Saturday (A1 v B2, B1 v
> A2), followed by 5th place game (A3 v B3) and championship game
> (winners of crossovers).
>
> Comments:
>
> There is no “one and done”. Four teams get 3 games and two teams get 4
> games.
>
> In some cases, it may still be necessary to play a Regional the weekend
> before provincials to determine the top 3 seeds in the SW or NE.
>
>
>
>

>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: Proposed changes to NBIAA regionals   Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:53 am

Just do it the old way....

Rank teams 1-8 - it doesn't matter what conference they play in, you want the best teams in the playoffs. The top 4 teams have a home playoff game (1 hosts 8, 2 hosts 7, etc). So, you are rewarding the top 4 teams instead of two.

The four winners go to the Final 4 at a predetermined site. It's too easy...lol.

The advantages to this system...(1). The best 8 teams get in the playoffs (likely). (2). It rewards four teams instead of two. (3). There is no 3 vs 4 game....are ya gonna throw a single elimination game? I don't think so..(4). The predetermined site would be familiar to most of the kids playing, they should be somewhat comfortable with the surroundings. You should get better shooting performances compared to playing in an arena type atmosphere.(5). It could be a good promotion tool for NB high school basketball. Have the rankings posted in the papers and the NBIAA website every Monday. Have the 1-8 rankings plus 'others receiving votes'....don't you think people would be looking at that every Monday morning? I think so...(6) You save a week....instead of Regionals, Sectionals and Finals...you just have quarterfinals and then a Final 4.

The disadvantages to this system...and a big one (1). If a school has both girls and boys playing in the Finals...fans could only go to one final. They would not be happy. (2) Who would do the rankings? Should it be a coaches poll? Or a select committee?

That's it.....

Oh, you are screaming about a balanced schedule? Sorry, if you are honest with yourself (although most of you aren't)...you have a good idea as to where you should be ranked. When the March Madness brackets come out, some school is complaining about not getting the right seed, or getting in at all...blah, blah, blah. The cream usually rises to the top....

The reason I suggested this system - well, I played in it....and it worked. 1986 In 'A' Boys the top 4 teams were Petitcodiac, Harvey, Hartland and Grand Manan. We all won the quarterfinal game...and the Final 4 was hosted by Harvey and their God-awful rubber floor and crappy lighting...anyway...it was a great atmosphere...fans from all four teams (there really was not a huge advantage for the home team)...whats better than a hot, stuffy, smelling gym? The one thing most people did not like...there was actually a consolation game...after getting eliminated in a Provincial semi-final....I don't think anyone wanted to play...

Anyway, it worked back then....would it now...?? I think it does address two big issues...too many bad, nonsensical playoff games/teams....and it does eliminate the controversial 3 vs 4 game....I think with some tweaking, it has potential.

So...it's been boring in here for awhile....let the whaling and gnashing of teeth begin...no system is perfect..but like Capitalism...it's probably the best of all the terrible systems.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: Proposed changes to NBIAA regionals   Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:18 pm

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
Just do it the old way....

Rank teams 1-8 - it doesn't matter what conference they play in, you want the best teams in the playoffs. The top 4 teams have a home playoff game (1 hosts 8, 2 hosts 7, etc). So, you are rewarding the top 4 teams instead of two.

The four winners go to the Final 4 at a predetermined site. It's too easy...lol.

The advantages to this system...(1). The best 8 teams get in the playoffs (likely). (2). It rewards four teams instead of two. (3). There is no 3 vs 4 game....are ya gonna throw a single elimination game? I don't think so..(4). The predetermined site would be familiar to most of the kids playing, they should be somewhat comfortable with the surroundings. You should get better shooting performances compared to playing in an arena type atmosphere.(5). It could be a good promotion tool for NB high school basketball. Have the rankings posted in the papers and the NBIAA website every Monday. Have the 1-8 rankings plus 'others receiving votes'....don't you think people would be looking at that every Monday morning? I think so...(6) You save a week....instead of Regionals, Sectionals and Finals...you just have quarterfinals and then a Final 4.

The disadvantages to this system...and a big one (1). If a school has both girls and boys playing in the Finals...fans could only go to one final. They would not be happy. (2) Who would do the rankings? Should it be a coaches poll? Or a select committee?

That's it.....

Oh, you are screaming about a balanced schedule? Sorry, if you are honest with yourself (although most of you aren't)...you have a good idea as to where you should be ranked. When the March Madness brackets come out, some school is complaining about not getting the right seed, or getting in at all...blah, blah, blah. The cream usually rises to the top....

The reason I suggested this system - well, I played in it....and it worked. 1986 In 'A' Boys the top 4 teams were Petitcodiac, Harvey, Hartland and Grand Manan. We all won the quarterfinal game...and the Final 4 was hosted by Harvey and their God-awful rubber floor and crappy lighting...anyway...it was a great atmosphere...fans from all four teams (there really was not a huge advantage for the home team)...whats better than a hot, stuffy, smelling gym? The one thing most people did not like...there was actually a consolation game...after getting eliminated in a Provincial semi-final....I don't think anyone wanted to play...

Anyway, it worked back then....would it now...?? I think it does address two big issues...too many bad, nonsensical playoff games/teams....and it does eliminate the controversial 3 vs 4 game....I think with some tweaking, it has potential.

So...it's been boring in here for awhile....let the whaling and gnashing of teeth begin...no system is perfect..but like Capitalism...it's probably the best of all the terrible systems.

If a switch to this system were to occur, I see the formation of exhibition leagues following shortly behind (honestly, I mainly have the NE A boys in mind as the girls in this division already do this). I'm not saying this is a positive or negative, but by taking away "unnecessary" playoff teams your giving more teams no realistic expectations to shoot for. Again, not saying this is good or bad thing. Exhibition leagues do foster equal competition usually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Proposed changes to NBIAA regionals   Today at 4:37 am

Back to top Go down

Proposed changes to NBIAA regionals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1