HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAAA Girls

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: AAAA Girls    Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:15 pm

How does each zone break down in the preseason? What are the top 10 preseason rankings in each zone? Who are the favorites and who are the teams to watch out for??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:59 pm

In south cardston would be my money but med hat bring back pieces for 4a but best team in area will be 3a Myers for my money
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:48 am

After trying to uncover as much information as I could, here is what I was able to come up with when looking at the Calgary Zone.

1- Francis: This is not only the team to beat in Calgary but perhaps also in Alberta. Returning all key pieces from a team that finished 3rd at provincials last year. They add some talented grade 11’s and the parents aggressively went after a new coach. I don’t think anyone in Calgary will come within 20 points of them. They have guards and height…… Francis will be tough to beat.
2- Western: Coming off a disappointing provincial tournament last season Western returns everyone. Everyone on the Western roster is involved with CBA so they are adding club experience. Coach Brady is one of the top coaches in Calgary, He’ll have the team ready to make a run at Francis. Down fall might be height but I think they’ll make up for this with strong guard play.
3- Centennial: A strong back court becomes stronger with one transfer. From what I understand they return a large number of players from last season and add some talent from the junior team. Centennials biggest downfall will be coaching. The parents tried to get a qualified coach but with no success. This makes Centennial susceptible to a team like Western, Aberhart, and BC where they will be out coached big time.
4- Bishop Grandin: Although Grandin loses some talent they return a lot of big pieces plus add some players from the junior team. Grandin will lack height but will make up for it, like Western, with strong guard play.
5- Aberhart: Abe loses a lot of big pieces and I’m not too sure what they add from the junior team. They definitely lose more talent than what they gain leaving a number of question marks. Coach Hutton has done a great at Aberhart and I predict they will be tough to play against and will win games if not taken seriously.
6- Bishop Carroll: From what I know BC returns everyone from what was a very competitive team last season. This program is on the rise and, just like Abe, will upset teams if not taken seriously.
7- Marys: St. Marys have all players coming back from a team that upset Western and almost upset Aberhart last season. They will have height and talented guards. They won’t compete with Francis but will definitely compete, and beat, everyone else.

I predict the Calgary teams going to provincials will be: Francis, Western, Centennial, and Aberhart.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
BigCountry

PostSubject: Calgary Divison 1 Rankings   Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:13 pm

Basketball Calgary.... your rankings look pretty decent, but I think you have St. Mary's ranked too low. They are returning their whole team with the addition of some strong grade 10 players (they move all their top players to senior). I see the rankings as:

1. Francis, 2. Western, 3. Centennial, 4. St. Mary's, 5. Grandin, 6. Carroll, 7. Abe, 8. Churchill.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:02 pm

You could switch Aberhart and St Marys. Really numbers 4 through 8 can be placed in any order. Francis will be #1 in Calgary all year and I see Centennial and Western fighting for the 2nd and 3rd spots. After that its wide open.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Back for another year   Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:32 pm

Here are my predictions for the year.

St. Francis - No doubt number 1 in Calgary and will be number 1 for the entire year. It has been confirmed that Claire Mitton (former CIS coaching member) has taken over the the team this year. Didn't think last years coach was bad, so not sure if there is a reason they switched but either way St. Francis is going to be the team that will dominate all year. If you know basketball in Calgary, you know all the players coming back so I won't explain why this is the obvious choice.

Centennial - I place Centennial as #2 to start the season. I am placing them ahead of Western for two reasons. First, it is confirmed they have a Grade 12 transfer in from Rundle College and she will be an outside threat and will be a starter right from the beginning of the season. The second reason is because they had a strong junior team (City Championship last year) who consists of a 6'1 post, a 6'0 extremely athletic player and another quick point guard who can take care of the ball. They will come out strong.

Western - 9 players coming back as well as some grade 10 players coming into the school that may help them. They lost their starting grade 12 "big" however there is a 6'2 Grade 10 player who will be able to help fill that void. I believe as the season goes on, they will overtake Centennial simply on Head Coaching between the two schools.

St. Mary's - I'm putting St. Mary's at 4th but I'm going to suggest that they can easily pick off both Centennial and Western on any given game. They have 7 players returning including 4 starters. They have 2 extremely strong Grade 10 players coming in including a 6'1 post. Coaches at St. Mary's always find a way to win games and upset some people last year. I have no doubt they will be in the mix at the end of the season.

Bishop Grandin - 3 main players are returning as Grade 12's. The Junior team consisted of several Grade 11 players and they weren't terribly strong last year. However, I don't think anyone can take them lightly. I don't think they will be able to knock off any of the top 4 teams above them but they have enough strength from the 3 main returnees to put a scare in a few of them.

Abehart - Let's give credit where credit is due, they have made back to back appearances in the City Finals and have had a great run over the past 3-4 years. However, I think there is not much gas left in the tank. With only 1 player returning who was part of that team that went back to back in appearances, I think Abe is gong to be rebuilding over the next 2-3 years. I think they will always compete whenever they hit the floor and opponents better not take them lightly however, if both teams play hard, Abe will be middle of the pack this year.

Bishop Carroll - They have some returning players, coming off a junior team that had some success as well as a few Grade 10 players, I believe they can also upset teams if you're not careful. They have two returning Grade 12's that can make a big difference if taken lightly.

Churchill / Thirsk - Both these teams I don't believe will beat any of the teams above. Churchill had a very weak jr team and for the past 2 years, Thirsk's bench consisted of far too many players and the coach played people fairly equally. At the end of the season, one of them will be playing St. Francis in the first round and they will be out.

Prediction
City Championship - St. Francis
Runner-Up - Western

Key to making it to the finals this year... avoid 4th,5th or 8th in the standings so you don't have to play St. Francis.

I look forward to the Calgary Classic rankings and will chime in once the draw is made on a new thread
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:14 pm

Thought I would add some thoughts from edmonton area!
Interesting that a parent group can "go out and get" a coach for high school team - not sure thats as prevalent here in Edmonton Razz . Was also wondering if Calgary had a juvenile division in their community CYBA (EYBA in Edmonton)? It used to kind of be an after thought here but now it seems as though there are a lot of high schools having most of their team play together - no ASAA violations as parents are often the coach or the odd other player is added in. I know we (SACHS) can't do it as due to our school size we simply have too many multi-sport athletes (6 play VB on junior or senior). Just curious as we move into the start of BB season!
In edmonton I believe it come down to Spruce Grove and JP as the #1 and #2 seeds in our tier 1. Paul Kane, with Coach Stanley being heavily involved will be right there as well. SACHS graduated 5 grade 12's (4 starters) and all our size so we are back to small ball. There have been some coaching changes as well in other schools so that will impact programs I'm sure.
#1 - SG: Until the champ is de-throned, they remain on top. They return 3 starters and move Jenna Harpe from the bench to starting at the PG (she started on U17 provincial team as a grade 10). Their starting 5 is big, and mobile - all played on the PEBL U of A team or provincial teams. Depending on style of play, fouls or fatigue, getting into their bench will be key to have success against them. Easier said than done. Oldham's better half, Robyn takes over and as a former Panda, plus Dave's coaching partner for years, they will not miss a beat from a coaching perspective.
#2 - JP: Return 4 of 5 starters, add 3-4 provincial team players as grade 10's and the only issue that Coach Green has is that there's only 1 ball and limited minutes to give out. Their starting 5 and top 8-9 players is the best in our league. They can go big and long or small and even quicker. They present match-up problems as their best player Haley Weaver at 5'11 can shoot the 3, go off the bounce and is happy to bang inside. They have all "basketball first" athletes and balancing that need to play will determine how well they do. The scary thing is that they will be better next year as I think they will carry only 1 grade 12. They'll be cutting kids that would have made my team Shocked
#3 - PK: Only lost 2 significant players but gain U15 provincial team players Alesha Stanley and Anika Steele (from Leduc). They've got another big girl that moved from BC that will help with size plus just a lot of talented kids. Coach Hurlburt has had PK prepared to play for years and with Rick Stanley now in the mix, lots of kids want to be a part of that program. They are still relatively young with only 3-4 grade 12s that play significant minutes but they will compete with anyone in the province and will have one of the deepest benches in our league. Finding minutes and keeping everyone content is always an issue on deep, talented teams.
#4 - SACHS: Lost 4 of 5 starters but return some talented players who played on the Junior Griffins under Coach Poole (always a good thing..) as well as provincial U16 and U15 teams. We are small compared to the past 3 years, but have an outstanding grade 10 guard, Abby Morrison (prov U15) who will get a ton of play time. Being interchangeable will have to be our mantra and that falls on me to sort that out. SACHS will have a solid 10 players and will be competitive again.
#5 - Leduc: Return key players both inside and on the perimeter. They are big, well coached (Coach May) and are a handful to contend with for any team that's unprepared. Coach May has had them attending camps, playing spring league, fall juvenile eyba which will ultimately have them ready to go. Are they talented enough to challenge the top 3 in our league - my gut says no, but I've been wrong too many times to count. They are tough and will make it hard on anyone looking for a W.
#6 - Harry Ainley: They return some key parts as Alana, Gracie, Deneale and another girl that escapes my brain are all very good. Anytime you have 2000+ kids, athletes are going to walk through the door. John Huot is returning to coach so that will change rotations and expectations to start, however he's no stranger to good basketball. They won't have a ton of size with Mack being gone, so finding a "go to" scorer might be an issue. They fought inconsistency last year with changing lineups all the time, so settling into Coach Huot's system will be key.
#7-#10 Can be any order - Scona, Bev Facey, Ross Shep, ABJ
Scona has a new coach (not sure who) with their old coach, moving schools to teach and coach at Ross Shep which only helps Shep as Robyn Fleckenstein is both knowledgeable and motivated.
Bev Facey has Britt, Kate and a U15 grade 10 that is long and skilled. Getting into their bench will ultimately be a must for teams.
ABJ was very young last year and Coach Greene and Coach Knox did a great job getting kids minutes and making sure they played together in spring/fall. The results will show up this season and I believe they will make the playoffs.
#11 - O'Leary - only basing this on their results from last year along with the spring teams that we played. Some very athletic but raw talent. If they've improved over the summer then they could push up.
#12 - Archbishop MacDonald - I have heard they plan on moving up to play Tier 1 which as the Tier 2 champions that is highly respected. They add a couple grade 10 top talents from the west end which gives them size inside as well as a big left handed perimeter player. They will have to adjust to the level of play required at the Tier 1 level on a nightly basis as well as style of play that each team brings.

From a provincial standpoint, I do think that St. Francis in the end will be the team to beat, however, Medicine Hat lost Jenna Sprut and that's largely it from our 4A champions. The 1-3-1 zone brought out during the zone and provincial team run won't surprise anyone now but you still have to beat it:shock:
I expect as always that Raymond and Cardston will be solid.
My top 6 provincially
Medicine Hat (champion - have to be beaten to lose this spot)
St. Francis
Spruce Grove
Jasper Place
Western
Paul Kane
tight/flip coins - SACHS, Raymond, Cardston, Grandin, Chinook, etc.

Looking forward to being back at it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks for the Edmonton update in my opinion Chinook will be a step behind Raymond and cardston then again if I remember right Raymond will be really young so not sure how that turns out cardston will be the safest of those three in the south
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ron Burgundy

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:08 am

I think that people have Calgary figured out about right. St. Francis is the clear number 1 and you can have reasonable arguments about ordering the rest of the top five.

To answer JDeeds' question, there is a juvenile division in CMBA but high school teams do not take advantage of it. Most of the best players in town stop playing CMBA after midget and just train with their clubs in the Fall. Most Calgary high schools don't do anything together other than open gym prior to Remembrance Day.

My question for Westwind Bball is whether LCI will be any good? I had thought that the South might be 1 Med Hat, 2 Cardston, 3 Raymond, 4 LCI.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mavsfan

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:37 pm

Great insight into the south division and the Edmonton division from JDeeds.

I will put my two cents in for what I think Calgary will look like.

1. St.Francis – No brainer with this one, they have all the talent you need, and a newly added former CIS coach to guide them this year. Not to mention a starting line up that includes maybe 4-5 potential CIS players, they are stacked and they will get some definite upgrades to their bench from the Jr team. This team will be talented and deep, maybe the only downside is trying to keep all the talent happy throughout the year, you know minutes will get cut for some players. However that is me stretching to find a downside with this team, I really don’t think it will be a problem. They are the heavy favourite to win out of Calgary and maybe the province this year.

2. Western - Coach Brady’s team returns almost everyone from last year. Their four grade 10 ten players from last year are all year older and are more experienced. They could also add four more grade 10 talents this year if they chose to. Western and Centennial bring in the best crop’s of grade ten’s this year for sure. The only difference is Centennials ten’s will be forced to play down on the Jr team, while I am sure Western will have at least one our two play up. I think Western will challenge St. Francis all year long. They will have the size to deal will Francis’s big’s inside and I think Western might actually have the edge when it comes to shooting from 3. Their downside could still be inexperience, as they are still a very young team. However the scariest thing about this group is they will be even better next year.

3. Centennial – Despite losing two very talented Grade 12’s in Megan and Emma from last year, Centennial looks to be strong once again. They are adding a grade 12 transfer that can shot the lights out from Rundle College and two athletic big’s from the Jr team. They also return star guard Kera who carried a lot of the scoring load for them last year when Megan was injured. The question with this team is how quickly can they come together and gel with all the new pieces. I do think to start the year they are step behind Francis and Western, but they have the talent to win a lot of games this year.

4. St. Mary’s – In reading some of the other posts it looks like people might be underestimating them this year. The return all there Key players from last year and have great croup of grade 10’s coming in. Coach McConkey had a lot of success last year with his group upsetting a lot of teams. Now this year their team will have some added scoring from there grade 10 additions, which should help take some of the pressure off of star player Alexa. I would look for them to be strong all year and finish top in the four.

5. Bishop Grandin – They will return it’s two best players in the twins, they also return a strong point guard. However they lose a lot of 12’s from last year, which will hurt them this year. Grandin’s biggest problem, especially when competing with the teams above, will be depth. They really don’t gain anything from a weak Jr team and there will be a lot of peruse on their top players to perform at high level every game. This is a team that could push for a spot again at provincials or take a big step back from last year. I’ll be very interested to see what they do.

6. Churchill – Despite not wining a lot of games last year, they always played everyone tough. They return their star player Carly who is fierce competitor. They will be able to add some size form the Jr team they had last year. Plus they add a strong new coach in Sarah Williams from MRU. She should be able to help get the most out of this group. Look for them to definitely upset some teams, they would be my dark horse pick for this year.

7. Carroll – They return almost the whole team form last year, plus they can add some talent from a decent Jr team last year. Look for them to be in the middle of the pack. Their biggest downside will be the team size. I think they could take a run at beating teams like Grandin, Mary’s and Churchill, and I also think weaker teams could push them as well. This is anther team that I am not really sure what they will look like until the start of the year, hard to predict.

8. Manning – Look for them to take a major step back this year, as they will lose three grade 12 starters. They will return star guard Madison and she will be relied on heavily to carry most of the load for this team. If they want to be competitive this year they will need to look to draw from their grade 10 talent pool. Also I haven’t heard about their coaching situation, as it seems to change year by year.

One a side note has anyone heard about Scarlet and their star post player? I did my rankings based on the idea she won’t be playing because of her commitment to volleyball. Can anyone confirm this?

Can’t wait for the season to get started!! Looks like it should be exciting!!! Basketball
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: south    Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:13 pm

in answere to question two thoughts one is that taber might actually have the best team in the south this year period. so a pure top 4 will include myers or taber for the south as for the LCI chinook debate I am not sure either chinook brings back the hoveling girl who is maybe the best player in lethbridge but not sure they have much outside her this year. for LCI came on strong at end of year younger team as a lot of the team will be in grade 11 this year including best player the gibb girl so should be a good game between two
Back to top Go down
View user profile
brick

PostSubject: Bottom of Division 1-Calgary?   Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:35 pm

Does anyone know if the bottom of Division 1 in Calgary has been finalized? Is Bishop O Byrne, who won Division 2, going to be moved up to division 1? Is Robert Thirsk, who finished last in division 1, going to be moved down? Henry Wisewood and Ernest Manning do not look like they will be very competitive in division 1 this year as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basketballcalgary

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:08 pm

Mavsfan - I have to respectfully disagree with your SWC pick. Churchill will have a tough time this year. One player isn't enough. Your right about manning though.... whats going on with the coaching there?

I've heard that division 1 in Calgary will have 10 teams in it this season.

I don't think Hilary is playing for Scarlett.... if this is true they might not even win a game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:11 pm

I agree with Basketballcalgary... SWC will not be a threat

I also heard division 1 will only have 10 teams which makes no sense to me if they are playing 10 games. This means everyteam will have to play 1 team twice. It puts some teams at an advantage and others at a disadvantage. Solution would be to either have 11 teams in Division 1 OR simply play 9 games instead of 10

I have not heard for sure on weather Hilary is playing or not.

Still waiting to see if the Calgary Classic draw is finalized. As soon as someone gets the official draw, start a new "topic" so we can discuss
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Started a Facebook page called Alberta Buckets for anyone interested for quicker results, stories, pictures links etc. All please feel free to like and join.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Black Oak

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 pm

ABJ has a short bench. Players don't want to play for Knox. Just calling it how it is. Sal has Anstice now. I'd put him against Facey anytime. Might be too soon to call that yet though. But if I was a betting man...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabre

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:20 pm

This is Coach Anstice, I have been away from this Hoop Life Forum for a long time and after a 2 year leave from High School sports, I’m lucky enough to return to coaching Girls Varsity Basketball. I’m now over at Salisbury Composite High School here in Sherwood Park coaching Girls basketball and joining me as my co-coach is my good friend Darren Aughtry. Should be a fun ride…

With regards to comments made about Sherwood Park High School Basketball (ABJ-Facey-Salisbury). We are just starting to re-build a basketball program over here at Salisbury. Our culture is changing and our goal is to someday have girls basketball back on the 4A map and return to the way it was 15 years ago. Back when Head Coach Jim Lazaruk, ‘Coach Laz’ had a powerhouse 4A Girls basketball program.
I watched the ABJ Scots play this weekend and win our Salisbury Invitational Basketball Tournament. They won fairly easy, but won with class, beating a gritty Ardrossan team in the final. Coach Gerald Knox and Pat Greene look to have their Scots team in fine form and ready to play and take their spot in the very competitive first Division of the Edmonton Metro Basketball league this season. I know they put in a tremendous amount of time and energy over at ABJ in preparation for the basketball season and this year they have added ex-Salisbury and GMAC Coach Jim Lazaruk to their coaching staff. This is a classy move, Jim will be great addition for the team.
Not sure what Coach Chung has going on over at Facey this year, but his team will be good, they played well last week in the St.FX tournament losing in the final to Shep T-Birds. Coach Chung has a number of strong kids that have come out of the SBA community program that are going to help his senior Falcons this year in Division one.

Where does Salisbury fit in? Right now, we’re going to work hard to compete in Metro Div2. We have a young team and we hope with lots of work to get better and better each and every week. We aren’t even close to the same level as the Scots and Falcons. We will continue to work on our program and build our culture and someday we hope to be back competing with the best, but for now, were just working on getting better.

Good luck to all the coaches in Sherwood Park, in Edmonton and across Alberta, hope you have a great season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:16 pm

Always good to have coach Laz back in the game! (you too Brian:) Very Happy
From what I understand, St. Francis beat Western by 10+ in Calgary classic tournament final. So that would keep things as predicted in the Calgary region.
At the Shep tournament, we managed to beat a scrappy Scona team by 20, while JP beat PK by 30, us (SACHS) in the semi final by 12 and then Spruce Grove in the final by 15. They were missing a starter (Mackenna Legister) and started Sidney Fedick in her place - this grade 10 is a beast and gave Spruce Grove fits. JP matched a good inside game with length and size (not like St. Francis). Spruce didn't shoot the ball well and their PG Jenna Harpe (starter on U17 prov team) gritted through the game with the flu but JP looked good. Coach Green already has them playing well together. PK was up early vs JP as PK was playing zone but slowly JP got going and started to dominate. With 7 grade 10's, PK will only get better each and every game.
Our league starts tomorrow with PK at Spruce Grove, SACHS plays Bev Facey, Scona vs Leduc, JP vs Edm Christ as some of the main games.
So top 4 in Edmonton would still be JP and SG (15 pts better than the next 2 right now) PK and SACHS with others right behind. The REB this coming weekend will also help sort out some details early as well. We are away in Victoria playing in a tournament there but should be great basketball! Look foward to hearing the updates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:26 pm

I may have to adjust my thoughts on LCI considering what they have done so far this weekend
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:05 am

Yeah LCI just crushed med hat tonight by close to 30 not what I would have thought before hand
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Girls    Today at 7:32 am

Back to top Go down

AAAA Girls
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1