HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Player Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Player Rankings   Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:27 pm

After speaking to a couple people that have been involved in the basketball community it was suggested that ranking players is a good way to generate some healthy debate in the province.

Top 10 Rankings for the Class of 2016, 2017 & 2018 will be posted prior to the start of the season on BCHoopScoop.ca.

As this is my first time working on rankings I would like to solicit opinions from the community about a) how the rankings should be done (i.e. criteria used) and/or b) what your 'Top 10' list looks like for each class. Please include players' current school, not where they may have attended last year.

Also, would you like to see Top 5 lists - PGs, Perimeter, Forwards/Wings, Posts?

Lists from prior threads on the subject:
2016 - http://hooplife.canadian-forum.com/t2761-top-players-in-the-class-of-2016
2017 - http://hooplife.canadian-forum.com/t2745-top-players-in-the-class-of-2017
2018 - http://hooplife.canadian-forum.com/t2536-top-2018-players

There may be some players that deserve a spot in the Top 10 that are not in any of these lists, feel free to post names in this thread or send me a private message. There could be kids in areas that we don't get to see as their teams do not play in the Mainland/Valley and/or any of the higher profile tournaments. Perhaps we can uncover some of those 'hidden gems.'

I'm open to the concept of having a panel of people assist in determining the rankings as I would like to eliminate/minimize any perceived bias due to the fact that I'm an active coach.

Open to ideas & suggestions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:32 pm

So looking over the past posts I've compiled a list of names for some top players discussed in Grades 10, 11 and 12. If there are any other players missing from this list and you would think should be in the discussion please post and I'll add to the list, making it easier for us to view.

Gr.12
Harry Liu, Churchill
Lambert Pajayon, Churchill
Karn Virk, Churchill
Matija Gabrilo, Churchill
Izaiah Ugoalah, Churchill
Howard Wang, Kitsilano
Alec Bayne, Kitsilano
Kenya Gerald, Kitsilano
Gabe Laza, Terry Fox
Isaac Evans, Terry Fox
Parker Simson, Kelowna
Matt Lanfontaine, Kelowna
Nav Sandhu, Kelowna
Sagar Dulay, Tamanawis
Aminder Basra, Tamanawis
Hunter Hughes, Southridge
Dominic Clayton, Southridge
Riley Braich, Yale
Justin McChesney, Charles Hays
Chase Claypool, Abby Sr.
Alex Asperin, Holy Cross
Terell Jana, STM
Rysen John, Vancouver College
Chuks Udevi, Panorama Ridge
Tomas Fovenyi, Fleetwood Park
Jass Singh, WJ Mouat
Myka Tang-Blumenschein, Oak Bay
Madhu McConnell, Oak Bay
Noah Charles, Cowichan
Tyrell Laing, Prince George
Malik Holmes, Byrne Creek
Nigel Boyd, Steveston-London
Wei Chung, Walnut Grove
Evan Urquhart, Point Grey

Gr.11
Andrew Goertzen, Walnut Grove
Jake Cowley, Walnut Grove
Ty Rowell, Walnut Grove
Brett Christensen, Walnut Grove
Cole Washbrook, Kitsilano
Diallo Oballa, Kitsilano
Luka Lizdek, Kitsilano
Grant Shephard, Kelowna
Owen Keyes, Kelowna
Mason Bourcier, Kelowna
Nathan Bromige, Lord Byng
Declan Herbertson, Lord Byng
Marcus Browne, Holy Cross
Keegan Konn, Holy Cross
Kiante Knight, Killarney
Jason Tantengco, Killarney
Jacob Van Santen, St. George's
Jon Mikhlin, St. George's
Sam Bailey, Van College
Niko Gabrillo, Van College
Austin Sommers, Lambrick Park
Calvin Sommers, Lambrick Park
Roop Viria, Tamanawis
Kyle Uppal, Tamanawis
Jas Singh, Delta
Fardaws Aimaq, Steveston-London
Pierce Strutt, Steveston-London
Kenan Krupic, Burnaby South
Jonas Serrano, Terry Fox
Jaden Touchie, Oak Bay
Cam Morris, St. Thomas More
Yoel Teclehaimanot, King George
Michael Chany, Notre Dame
Gabe Mannes, GW Graham
Sumeet Singh, Fraser Heights
Brandon Tabing, Lord Tweedsmuir
Deondre Grant, Johnson Heights
Rajan Atker, Panorama Ridge
Harsimran Bhullar, Panorama Ridge

Gr.10
Vince Sunga, Burnaby South
Jusuf Sehic, Burnaby South
Vicente Balataan, Burnaby South
Noah Pastrana, Burnaby South
Fanta Lado, Burnaby South
Eubert Ayangwa, Burnaby South
Enoch Qin,  Burnaby South
Myles Labiste, Burnaby South
James Woods, Walnut Grove
Sukh Kang, Walnut Grove
Dannon Sturn, Walnut Grove
Josh Butler, Handsworth
Ben Grant, Handsworth
Allan Mosley, Handsworth
Tyrone A., Kitsilano
Cort Armstrong, Kitsilano
Yannick Douget, Kitsilano
Sajjun Shokar, St. Thomas More
Cedric Ducharme, St. Thomas More
Andrew Brzovic, St. Thomas More
Devin Ohea, Argyle
Alex Wallace, Argyle
Declan Confortin, Argyle  
Vlad Mihalia, Semiahmoo
Jordan Chen, Semiahmoo
Adam Paige, Semiahmoo
Noah Nickel, Yale
Bradley Braich, Yale
Luke Howard, Yale
Caelan Scott, Oak Bay
Freeman Taylor, Oak Bay
Riley Cronk, Oak Bay
Deshawn Wong, Notre Dame
Miguel Ortinero, Notre Dame
Will Lin, St. George's
Sam Sirlin, St. George's
Jack Cruz, Vancouver College  
Cameron Wright, Vancouver College
Raf Alcoreza, Panorama Ridge  
Gurshael Jessel, Panorama Ridge
Justin Chau, Burnaby North
Mykel Feegusson, Centennial
Flynn Ridley, Burnaby Mountain
Murad Mohammed, Richmond  
Jackson Hogg, Earl Marriott
Latrell Ens Stewart, Centennial  
Aaron Cruz, Byrne Creek
Pravdeep Gill, WJ Mouat
Seyoung Choi, Churchill
Davis Mabone, Killarney
Bryce Mason, McMath
Reid Jansen, Kamloops
Miguel Tomley, Tamanawis

Last edited by JesusShuttlesworth on Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:57 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
justme1

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 am

Gr.10
Gurshael Jessel Panorama Ridge definately among top 5 in this age group. Keep a close watch on him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Coach Yash wrote:
After speaking to a couple people that have been involved in the basketball community it was suggested that ranking players is a good way to generate some healthy debate in the province.

Unfortunately I find that so called player rankings tend to not be very helpful. They create a "hype" approach which can tend to be extremely bias and get out of control. I guess I am just not a big fan but clearly many others seem to enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 pm

ebe wrote:
Coach Yash wrote:

Unfortunately I find that so called player rankings tend to not be very helpful. They create a "hype" approach which can tend to be extremely bias and get out of control. I guess I am just not  a big fan but clearly many others seem to enjoy it.

Appreciate your point of view Coach, I agree at times player rankings can get over blown, but IMO it gives us HS basketball fans a point of discussion and debate which I believe is healthy for basketball in general, which at times generates added interest in the players and the game, but like you said the "hype" can be detrimental in excess, people looking at rankings etc. need to be realistic in that these are just opinions and not 'Bible,' but as long as observers are given as much knowledgeable and informative information as possible regarding players/teams it gives us fans of the game even more fuel to the 'excitement' fire of the BC HS basketball season.

Anything adding to the increased discussion of BC HS basketball (everything but directly negative comments without any sort of constructive criticism) should be embraced by us and encouraged in order to continue and expand the ever growing basketball community in BC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonTheMan

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:50 pm

U16 Deondre Grant - Johnson Heights
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonTheMan

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:51 pm

U16 Deondre Grant - Johnson Heights
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball1234

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:12 pm

U16 Rajan Atker- Panorma ridge

U16 Harsimran Bhullar- Panorma ridge
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bighoops

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:12 am

Oak bay: Riley Cronk 6'6 and caelen Scott 6' ,grade 10. Both strong. How about Ryder Jenks (I think Wellington in Nanaimo. -all 3 have played team bc. Caelen played drive last year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cbromige

PostSubject: Player Rankings   Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:36 am

Evan Urquhart, Point Grey SS (gr 12). Watched Evan play tonight.  Strong, big, athletic.  His team may not be catching much attention, but he is very good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:37 am

Hunter Hughes, wow serious player. This kid has to be the #1 prospect coming out of grade 12 in BC. Playing 3A with a 2A school that is impressive. 6'8", big, strong, shoot the 3, can post up and has hops. Scouts for CIS or NCAA should be all over this guy if their not already. Huge upside still and he's just destroying teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:41 am

Can't believe Madhu McConnell, Oak Bay, Grade 12 not on the list. Kid is incredible. MVP of Emerald City tournament. Incredible athlete and crazy motor. Needs to be added to list for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JesusShuttlesworth

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:02 pm

RockNation wrote:
Hunter Hughes, wow serious player. This kid has to be the #1 prospect coming out of grade 12 in BC.  Playing 3A with a 2A school that is impressive. 6'8", big, strong, shoot the 3, can post up and has hops. Scouts for CIS or NCAA should be all over this guy if their not already. Huge upside still and he's just destroying teams.

Absolutely agree, I had Hughes as a Top 5 Gr12 prospect, but after seeing him play this weekend vs both Churchill and Holy Cross, I can easily put him at the top of the heap. The kid had an amazing couple of days, so consistent with his effort, improved jump shot from last year, hit 5 3s in the TBI final, a great FT shooter, and an absolute beast on the boards and that isn't even his best skill, which is his great footwork around the basket and silky touch, an absolute stud on the court.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pistol 7 Pete

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:53 pm

JesusShuttlesworth wrote:
RockNation wrote:
Hunter Hughes, wow serious player. This kid has to be the #1 prospect coming out of grade 12 in BC.  Playing 3A with a 2A school that is impressive. 6'8", big, strong, shoot the 3, can post up and has hops. Scouts for CIS or NCAA should be all over this guy if their not already. Huge upside still and he's just destroying teams.

Absolutely agree, I had Hughes as a Top 5 Gr12 prospect, but after seeing him play this weekend vs both Churchill and Holy Cross, I can easily put him at the top of the heap. The kid had an amazing couple of days, so consistent with his effort, improved jump shot from last year, hit 5 3s in the TBI final, a great FT shooter, and an absolute beast on the boards and that isn't even his best skill, which is his great footwork around the basket and silky touch, an absolute stud on the court.

Firstly, nice to see Hunter getting appreciation for his talent and work. Secondly, I would want to emphasize Hunter's performance last year, when South Ridge played in the 2A tier, was equally as good!

I understand that by playing in 3A or 4A heavy tournaments the basketball community is more likely to take notice of a player's abilities since their are more individuals invested in the game given that bigger schools tend to have more students, coaches, parents or analysts - for a lack of a better word - involved.

However we need to dissolve this thinking and I am happy to see that South Ridge and Hunter are breaking down these barriers and helping people realize that it's not only the size of the school or that if the team plays in a certain tier then should they be considered credible but what the quality of the program is. South Ridge has been a great basketball program for a long time but with only the advent of increased emphasis on basketball in BC in terms of online coverage or more accessible (for the community) tournaments, South Ridge and Hunter are getting recognized despite their earlier success.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
VicFan

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:21 pm

Cam Henderson - 6'5" C from Oak Bay - is one of 3 Gr 10's all playing for #4 ranked Oak Bay SR Team. Others are 6'1" PG Calen Scott, & 6'6" SF/PF Riley Kronk. Cam & Riley played BC Team U15 (Red & Blue), while Calen played Drive Elite U15. Interesting that the Oak Bay Jrs just defeated Burnaby South, & VC twice and are currently ranked #6 in BC. Watch for this group in spring 2018
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Player Rankings   Today at 4:44 pm

Back to top Go down

Player Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1