HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAAA Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ballerguy

PostSubject: AAAA Boys   Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:35 pm

What do the preseason ranks look like for the boys? Who are the contenders and the favourites to win each zone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:58 pm

In the south cardston is number 1 with the best grade 11 in area after that things are messy with lci Raymond med hat magrath cch fighting from there out I am going to need to see some ball so that I have a better idea should be a interesting year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerguy

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:01 pm

Do you think any team from the South can compete with Cardston? I think maybe Lci and Raymond
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't think so lci I think loses to much from last year team and Raymond doesn't have the height to compete at a high level
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerguy

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Interesting. After some research I think this is what it should look like

1. Cardston
2. Raymond
3. LCI
4. Med Hat
5. CCH
6. Magrath
7. Winston
8. Chinook
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:42 pm

Sure will be a wild year in the middle but I feel your top and bottom two are right
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerguy

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Anyone know what preseason rankings might look like for the start of the season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:48 pm

I will give it a shot but be warned I am shaky on Calgary. 1 Ainlay best post and player in province well coached two time straight champs 2 McNally been one of the best team in Calgary lately should be tough 3 Oleary younger team last year if I remember right should be Ainlay top Edmonton challenge. 4 cardston Russell kid best grade 11 in province at 4a at least not much front court depth could hurt but in the hunt 5 bob usually a fairly souls Calgary team once again I am rough on Calgary I know the south best 6 shep always one of the better teams in Edmonton if I remember right they lose quite a bit. 7 Churchill up and down year last year not sure what to expect this year 8 Raymond young team if guards are making shots tough out but may lack consistency and some teams could roast them on boards this year 9 lci lost almost everything from last year team but will at least start ranked based on last few years. 10 st fx always seem to be ranked at start of year some say because coach is Edmonton ranker Those are my two cents a likely wrong on some other can chime in to let me know
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerguy

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:21 pm

yaa id say that's about right. Maybe SWC out of Calgary could be a little higher but ya that looks pretty good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:50 pm

I hate to be that guy and this will be an unpopular position to take among the die hard south fans but I think we're going to have a real down year in the south, especially in Lethbridge. We have a serious lack of height on most teams so its going to be guard orientated and overall we'll struggle to compete with top 10 teams from Edmonton and Calgary. If teams that bolted from the league wanted a year to get back in and not get thumped on a regular basis, this would be it.

On the provincial top 10 landscape I think it will be Calgary book ended by Edmonton at the top and the South at the bottom. Edmonton has 2 teams that will dominate in the province this year - Harry Ainlay and Archbishop O'Leary. They will battle it out for the provincial title but I can't see O'leary taking it away from Ainlay. Look for a threepeat. Calgary has a number of solid teams that will make up the next tier and the south will still get a couple teams in the top 10.

1. Harry Ainlay
2. Archbishop O'Leary
3. Sir Winston Churchill
4. Bishop McNally
5. Father Lacombe
6. St Francis Calgary
7. Notre Dame Calgary
8. Ross Shepard
9. Medicine Hat
10. Raymond

In our league there is some relatively good size on a couple teams and that will make a difference.

Look for a breakout year for Medicine Hat. They had a down year last year with a really young team which shouldn't surprise anyone considering how strong they were the year before. They should rebound this year with a solid team and they will be underrated. And they have some size. 6'7", 6'6" 6'6", 6'5". Returning guards are going to be strong as they got the minutes last year and patience. I think other teams will take them lightly the first time they see them and there will be some early upsets before everyone realizes they weren't. I think they'll become the team to beat. Solid coaching also helps.

Raymond will have some good guard play and some reasonable size up front.  I think you'll see the same grit as always and games will be anything but boring to watch as they'll get into teams and knock them around. The difference this year is that they also have some talent. I'm looking forward to the Cardston games as anyone who leaves there without a bloody nose or a black eye was a DNP.

Cardston will have talent but will be really small and they'll miss Tanner in a big way, not only because he was the best player in the league last year but because he allowed Russell to be a second option. I think this year you'll see teams play them they same way they play them in football. Make Russell a passer and then a defender. Trapped over half, face guarded without, box and one. He'll still get his 20 ppg because he loves to shoot but efficiency will suffer. I can't see teams playing them any other way unless guys like Shane or Austin are able to get the ball and become 20 ppg guys themselves. If that happens and Russell becomes more like Tim M last year, they could top the south and make a run at provincials.

LCI is also going to be small and similar to Cardston but a big step back. Guys like Brady will have to lead this team if they want to be successful. I'm not sure that's going to happen. If he isn't a triple double guy for them they may drop further than 4th.

1. Medicine Hat
2. Raymond
3. Cardston
4. LCI
5. CCH
6. Winston
7. Magrath
8. Chinook
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerguy

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:42 pm

I agree with 12321. When it comes down to it, the south will get bullied by Edmonton teams. Also the only thing that matters is that Aher Uguak and Harry Ainlay will take home there 3rd straight championship.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:03 pm

If there is one thing you can depend on is that the South will NEVER get bullied. They may be short on talent some years but they are never short on effort and hard work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:28 pm

"If there is one thing you can depend on is that the South will NEVER get bullied."

100% agreed. If anything its the other way around, even on a down year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Looks like we are all on the same page for the top AAAA boys teams. My sources have Ainlay as the top team but O'Leary a "very" close second. SWC is the #1 team out of Calgary with three returning starters and Lacombe and McNally are a dead heat. Lacombe may get the nod due to better size.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerguy

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:52 am

After getting lots of details about teams from the south this is what I think it will look like

1. Cardston - Max Russel. Like people said he is the best grade 11 in the province. But they also have players like Shane Quinton and Dylan Stang to be the 2nd and 3rd man. They are beatable but I see them winning the south.

2. Raymond - They have 3 guards who all played varsity ball last year and will be the best shooting team in the south. Rebounding shouldn't be a problem and they should put up a good fight against Cardston.

3. - Med Hat - They will be a tough team to stop down low with some good players that will be consistent at getting rebounds. They don't have the guards to compete with Cardston or Raymond though. But should be a solid team.

4. LCI - They are just wildly inconsistent. One night they could beat Cardston and the next night they could lose to Magrath. Obviously losing Saren and Mason is a big deal and Brady can't try to carry the team. If other players step up they can be a good team

5. CCH - Leif LeClair. Shawn Adams. And a pretty good point guard. They would be pretty good if they had ANYBODY else on this team that could score. They will fair pretty good against the bottom half of the league. But I just don't think they can compete with the top 4.

6. Winston - 1 returning kid that can go off for 40 on any night. Obviously just 1 player isn't enough to win many games but when you do have a player like that, it sure helps. They won't be a good team but maybe a team that is fun to watch.

7. Magrath - they lost almost everyone from last year. I just think they will have a real down year. Nobody on their team can be a leader and win them games. They might have a good class of grade 10s though.

8. Chinook - They just don't have any players that can help them win games. Once again it looks like they will be the bottom of the pack

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:43 pm

The consensus I get is that Max is the top grade 11 player in Alberta right now and that Cardston will win the South. There is some talk that Med Hat may surprise some folks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:04 pm

This news just in. The consensus and details amassed by Cardston posters in Cardston has Cardston claiming that Cardston is #1 and has top player. Temple City Star, Russells, Quintons and the Cardston High School confirm that Cardston will win. Everyone not named Cardston will not win. When asked who will win, the mayor of Cardston says Cardston will win.

Its funny that the consensus and details from my sources that I dug up has Cardston not winning and going 0for against the #1 team, which is not Cardston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:17 pm

@thetruth2 ok so besides taking jabs at a town for some reason, why not add something productive to a decent basketball discussion. What are your details that you have dug up? Who will be the top team or teams? Share your insights as you seem to have a lot to say.

I think this may be one of the more competitive seasons in the south in awhile. It may be difficult to predict who the champ will be and who the finalists will be. LCI loses much in Gibb and Westrop but Brady and Boychuk are still very respectable players and they've got some nice kids moving up and filling in spots. Won't have the dominance that Westrop provided but they won't be a slouch by any means. Raymond will certainly be better than they've been. They were playing some decent ball last year, have some height moving up and I expect them to challenge any team in the league as well. Med Hat I really have no idea but sounds like they'll be decent based on other posts. Magrath loses a lot. Maybe they take a step back but who knows I think they surprised most people last year too. CCH won't challenge the top teams, neither will Chinook. Churchill not too sure about they'll have some decent players but I suspect still not able to crack the top 4. Cardston will have very good guard play but will lack on size inside a bit. I suspect top 4 in no particular order will be LCI, Cardston, Raymond, and Med Hat. My gut tells me LCI and Cardston will come out as the top 2 but Raymond and Med Hat seem very capable of being quite competitive in that group as well. CCH, Chinook, WC, and Magrath will form the bottom. Good times to come, can't wait for the season to start!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:33 am

A productive discussion isn't one school or one person disguised as three saying how great they are. I'm just saying that the consensus, my sources and what I'm hearing is completely different than what the cardston folks are hearing around the school, the dinner table and after practice. Med Hat and Cardston have too many missing pieces and questions. The team with the talent and without the what ifs will take the south. The games will tell the story soon enough. And WR Myers no doubt should be playing in the league. Stop messing around with politics and make it 9.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:25 pm

These are preseason guesses. Nothing more. Everyone is from somewhere and they'll probably pick their own team. Its sounds like you're from Raymond or Taber and fair enough. Once we get into December and get some games in it should get a little easier to predict how the season will go down. All the optimism makes November interesting.

Any idea how WR Myers will fair in the South East Basketball Conference and 3A this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:50 pm

I don't know where you guys are getting your information but the best grade 11 player in the province plays for Lester B Pearson in Calgary.

1-Ainlay
2-Churchill
3-O'Leary
4-Lester B Pearson
5-Francis
6-Father Lacombe
7-Medicine Hat
8-Notre Dame
9-McNally
10-Grandin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballerguy

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:50 am

1. Ainlay
2. O'Leary
3. SWC
4. Cardston
5. Father Lacombe
6 Raymond
7. Francis
8. McNally
9. Ross Shep
10. Med Hat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:30 pm

So both Cardston and Pearson have a good player who is going to try to shoot 50 shots a game and try to do it all themselves. Good for them. It doesn't make either of them a good team. Maybe worse because of it. Scoring has to come from a few places and someone has to play defence. This is about what team will win. Games will show it. And WR Myers only loses 5 and keeps all their height. I don't know about their league or 3A.

1. Raymond
2. LCI
3. Medicine Hat
4. Cardston
5. Chinook
6. Catholic Central
7.  Winston Churchill
8. Magrath
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ctown33

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:50 pm

Best grade 11 is definitely at LBP, potentially the best 2 grade 11's with an out of province transfer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:57 am

Its remarkable how many times in this forum people come in to blow their own horns or how great this team or player is.  I find it funny how year in and year out the south is given NO love because they aren't from the centers of the universe of Calgary and Edmonton.  
Last year proved this once again as 3 out of the 4 semi finals teams in provincials were from the South.  There is no doubt that there is great ball teams and players all over the province.  It should be a fun season to watch.  

Ainley is going to be super tough and could repeat.  They are talented; well coached and super deep.  
The south will be a battle of 3-4 teams and anyone can win on a given night.

For the life of me I'm trying to figure out why Med Hat is getting so much love... their JVs weren't great last year; their spring teams were big but not great; so its either their own hype or they have some secret weapons that they only know about.

Calgary is always a tough one to know how good they really are as they battle hard and anyone can pull out an upset.  I wish that they played more evening games instead of right after school so I could see them play more.  Its sad to goto some of those games and see 5 people sitting in the bleachers as there is not much support.
Just as a heads ups on rankings; for the people who don't post on here and aren't familiar; usually all the zones have some good equal representation in the rankings and its not all predominantly Calgary or South or Edmonton.

Started a Facebook page called Alberta Buckets for anyone interested for quicker results, stories, pictures links etc. All please feel free to join.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: AAAA Boys   Today at 5:45 am

Back to top Go down

AAAA Boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next