HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What has happened to A boys basketball?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Lakers4life

PostSubject: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:56 pm

A boys basketball use to be very entertaining, and you never knew who was going to win it all until the end. Grand Manan, Devon Park, Campo, McAdam, always had good teams Harvey is the only team that is still good. What happened?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:41 pm

Not so fast on Harvey. My opinion is John Caldwell beats them at Harbor by 10+
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:18 am

Lakers4life wrote:
A boys basketball use to be very entertaining, and you never knew who was going to win it all until the end. Grand Manan, Devon Park, Campo, McAdam, always had good teams Harvey is the only team that is still good. What happened?

What happened is Harvey similar to Woodstock in AA and certain AAA schools I'm sure: Had the structure and culture to continue to do things that always made them successful in the past and continue to have the support to structure their programs in a similar fashion. This continued in spite of changing polices, school and sport culture, and financial restrictions. Other places were less prepared or less supported or less able to support programs at a consistent level.

In lots of schools and programs financial restrictions, strict applications of policies (school sport, support staff, travel), lack of resources (time/space/coaches/committed families and athetesl) , etc have all lead to declines or shifts in programs. At schools where the culture, school and community still support prioritizing a successful ball team it goes on.

Specifically the schools you mentioned. Grand Manan has lost people. numbers, coaches at all levels and is now splitting athletes with hockey. Campo's population combined with travel restrictions and loss of long time coaches had led to their decline. McAdam I'm not sure about there's seems more cyclical than anything at this point. Each year there are still strong A programs Hartland for a few years, RNS last year (they were an A school), John Caldwell for a few years now. So competition is just not as consistent and cycles seem more evident.

Communities with greater access to resources (gym time, financing, training, coaches etc) will have stronger programs year in and year out. Harvey is a great model because they have such dedicated coaches from young to veteran involved in their program at all ages, a committed minor program and supportive parents/community and school, also between what they can organize for their youth players and the access to programs in the Fredericton area there always opportunities to see their players grow. They also have managed to limit the influence of sports like hockey, club volleyball, football, rugby etc That can impact programs or athletes in other areas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDarkKnight

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Ballforlife12345 wrote:
Not so fast on Harvey. My opinion is John Caldwell beats them at Harbor by 10+

Yeah I would say we are going to dominate A ball this year we will compete with all of the AA teams also.....

Last edited by TheDarkKnight on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:15 pm

I agree for the most part, however, rural schools that are close to urban centres have a huge advantage as they can be part of Middle School leagues. The Class A JV division has suffered the brunt of this as schools opt to go Middle and Varsity (9-12). The Island schools have no middle league close by and JV division is pretty much non existent. A vibrant JV division would really help "a" but not enough teams register.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballfan14

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:32 pm

Im going to have to agree, Mr Lakers is getting a little to carried away. I think most can agree that they are not the `only good team` out there. JC has all their starters back with 2 with a bronze metal from this previous summer. As well as an all star from last season and good depth. In my opinion they could even compete with the top AA but we`ll need to see, so excited for a great season ahead!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:19 pm

Laker can stick up for himself but I don't think his point what that Harvey was going to dominate. The point (I believe) is that not that long ago and for a long time in A boys basketball you had 4 teams all in the south Campo, McAdam, Harvey and Grand manan who had wars nightly. Year in and year out could beat each other any time any one of them played the other. Home games were huge events and you could finish 4th in the south, 4th in the south west and still end up winning a sectional and winning a provincial championship.

Then you would add in runs of teams like Caledonia, Hartland, JCS, DP etc into that mix and suddenly A boys basketball would have anywhere from 4-6 teams every year that could lose to anyone else in that group or end up winning championship.

Now like AA and AAA there seem to be 2 or 3 front runners every year with a couple of tiers of teams after them. Not 4-6 teams that it was a coin toss every time out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheDarkKnight

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:59 am

Ballfan14 wrote:
Im going to have to agree, Mr Lakers is getting a little to carried away. I think most can agree that they are not the `only good team` out there. JC has all their starters back with 2 with a bronze metal from this previous summer. As well as an all star from last season and good depth. In my opinion they could even compete with the top AA but we`ll need to see, so excited for a great season ahead!

Exactly my point Ballfan JC  is going to dominate everyone this year .........

Last edited by TheDarkKnight on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:15 am

TheDarkKnight wrote:
Ballfan14 wrote:

Exactly my point Ballfan JC  is going to dominate everyone this year AA included because we are packed with the best players and there is nothing no one can do about it! Bring on HS!

Surely no one from john caldwell is dumb enough to write stuff like that. But you wouldnt think anyone else would make such an obvious attempt to make them look bad. Maybe thedarkknight and lakers4life are one in the same. They came out of the cyber womb on the same day...
Kinda reminds me of huskiesforever, the fake hartland high person.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:36 pm

Yeah I would say that lakers4life is probably not from Harvey and dark knight not from JC . Looks like a couple of newbie trolls.

I'm pretty sure we need to see a few games played maybe before we can crown a new champ lol.

Should be a pretty good tip off tournament in Woodstock in a couple of weeks to give us an indication though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:24 pm

Who is all going to that tournament?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:54 am

Ballforlife12345 wrote:
Who is all going to that tournament?

Woodstock, Carleton North , Simonds, RNS, John Caldwell and Harvey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller22w

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:41 pm

There's eight teams in that upcoming tournament and it is in Woodstock and Carleton north
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:44 pm

RNS, Woodstock, Harvey, Simonds, CNHS, John Caldwell, Fundy, sugarloaf

Did RNS pick up anyone new? Still have the Nova Scotians?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:45 pm

I predict a CNHS, Woodstock final. CNHS by 10
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Splashcity23

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:20 pm

I think Devon park will make some noise this year the came with in John Caldwell by five and heartland last year in caldwells home gym. There young and have lots of talent. Mark my words
Back to top Go down
View user profile
miramichi

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hT8zc73WU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GULUyHguwho

Just a couple highlight videos to get the basketball juices flowing. Study them well Coaches of A and AA teams ... JCS will be a hard team to match and I look forward to everyone having another great season!

Last edited by miramichi on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Activex filtering will not allow videos to show on post)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:17 pm

What is the story at JC with McCarthy not playing against Harvey last weekend?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:17 pm

He's sick
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:02 am

JCS over Harvey without McCarthy and Woodstock without Hemphill? It is early on, but they look soid
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:58 am

They are like hartland a couple years ago. They are or should be heavily favored to win. They are probably 20 or 30 points better than everyone in A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:20 am

Generous statement Ballnut...we shall see. Teams tend to cave if over exposed. Best to fly under the radar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metta Peace

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:22 am

Generous statement Ballnut...we shall see. Teams tend to cave if over exposed. Best to fly under the radar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballnut

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:07 pm

What can I say Metta Peace, I'm a generous guy. That may all change after this weekend gonna get a real good look at them in Miramichi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
C-N '06-'09

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:26 am

I have a related, but slightly different curiosity more related to farther back.

Has basketball in the North East always been this weak? My first season playing high school ball was 06-07 which was the first season my school didn't play exhibition and we won the region (no Caledonia or Peti), so clearly it was weak then, but before that?

I'm not super up on the history of basketball in the province, but did the gap come about when minor basketball rose up and the smaller communities in the SW jumped on bored, but the NE didn't? Was it other sports taking priority? I don't consider the NE being dominant in any sport, but I could definitely be wrong on that one. Is it that there are more Francophone schools (or at least influence) in the NE and basketball wasn't/ isn't the same priority as volleyball or soccer?

I'm predominately speaking about "A" right now, but although there are schools that compete in the NE at higher levels, the depth is not there at any level.

Any insight would be great!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Today at 7:18 am

Back to top Go down

What has happened to A boys basketball?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next