HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

What has happened to A boys basketball?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Viking02

PostSubject: A ball   Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:47 pm

Actually it's the opposite. Historically Peticodiac has been a powerhouse in A ball all the way up to about 2000. I can remember very strong teams in Hillsburough, Upper Miramichi and Stanley at times.
Like the original poster mentioned, Campobello, Grand Manan, Harvey have always had strong teams in the South and Hartland had one of the strongest teams I have ever seen from around 94-96.
There was a time when the best A schools could beat strong AA and AAA teams on a given night and it seems like there is a gap now that was never there before. I don't know about John Caldwell as I haven't watched them play. Maybe they are on that level this year.
I think I would tend to agree that population, consistant coaching and travel are issues in some places now. I know it's next to impossible to get a home game on Campobello now. I'm sure teams aren't thrilled thinking about the ferry ride to Grand Manan. There are so many restrictions now that didn't seem to be an issues 10 or 15 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:02 am

John Caldwell would be the new Grand Manan. They have won a couple of girls titles in the past few years and this years crop is a JV team that is dominating at the varsity level. They will continue to dominate for years to come. On the boys side it is a bit different in terms of age of kids. But basically their two best players are still JV age and they are winning in A and beating some powerhouse AA schools. Lots of trips to Harbour Station in the future for this school.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:17 am

Not sure you can forget about the Harvey Boys when you are talking about quality programs. They have made it to Harbour Station 4 of the last 5 years and won 2 titles in that span. They finished off their exhibition schedule with a couple of wins against AA Woodstock and Fundy so I expect them to be in the mix for another trip to the show this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:01 am

I think one of the things you see a lot now is the impact of the year round nature of all sports. Largers areas have more competitive and different options for kids to play sports year round. Right or wrong there are organized leagues, camps and teams that kids can be a part of around the clock. In larger areas there are more of these opportunities.

The consistently strongest "A" school teams we've seen in the last years (think Harvey, JCS, Caledonia) etc. Come from smaller schools that beyond the good things their program does (coaches, gym time, quality training and competition, etc) they are also geographically positioned in ways which give them greater access to opportunities easier.

ie. Harvey near Fredericton kids can play in their summer/spring leagues, be day campers at UNB/STU camps, play on club teams etc. In a similar way Caledonia has Moncton, JCS has the club programs that run from Woodstock to Grand Falls.

Now don't dismiss the consistency of coaching, commitment to athlete development and programs that these schools run individually. These are simply enhanced by easier access to opportunities than other schools/regions have.

Additional factors:

- Much success in hoops is consistent coaching at all levels. A lot of areas just can't get consistent quality coaching or had coaching that wasn't replaced at the same level.
- Growth of other sports. At all levels of basketball we lose potential basketball athletes to other sports or a level of commitment they might have had as they commit to sports and opportunities previous generations may not have had. This is going to be felt more significantly at smaller schools with smaller pools of potential high level athletes.
- Similar to other sports. Kids today have much more access to interests, activities, and hobbies than previous generations did. Whether you agree or not. Playing video games for fun or competitively, making videos or web pages for fun/money, etc, etc All are now options. They are also opportunities that are not limited by geography. Again the smaller schools can take larger hits when potential athletes drift from sports.
-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:16 am

Viking02 wrote:
Actually it's the opposite. Historically Peticodiac has been a powerhouse in A ball all the way up to about 2000. I can remember very strong teams in Hillsburough, Upper Miramichi and Stanley at times.
Like the original poster mentioned, Campobello, Grand Manan, Harvey have always had strong teams in the South and Hartland had one of the strongest teams I have ever seen from around 94-96.
There was a time when the best A schools could beat strong AA and AAA teams on a given night and it seems like there is a gap now that was never there before. I don't know about John  Caldwell as I haven't watched them play. Maybe they are on that level this year.
I think I would tend to agree that population, consistant coaching and travel  are issues in some places now. I know it's next to impossible to get a home game on Campobello now. I'm sure teams aren't thrilled thinking about the ferry ride to Grand Manan. There are so many restrictions now that didn't seem to be an issues 10 or 15 years ago.
The best and most accurate post that I have read on here in a long time. Although, I would never put Boiestown, Stanley and very strong in the same sentence.....competitive...for sure. That being said....an excellent post....you understand the past and the present. You 'get it'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:34 am

BeeBall4Lifee wrote:
Not sure you can forget about the Harvey Boys when you are talking about quality programs. They have made it to Harbour Station 4 of the last 5 years and won 2 titles in that span. They finished off their exhibition schedule with a couple of wins against AA Woodstock and Fundy so I expect them to be in the mix for another trip to the show this year.

Please somebody acknowledge us....please! Hahaha....stop your begging...pathetic.
Who wants to acknowledge a team that has underachieved the last 30 plus years?? With all the advantages that Harvey has - population, centralization, being able to play quality programs like Woodstock and Carleton North every year, and being one of the few 'A' schools that can sustain a junior program....Harvey should have twice the banners that they have.....
In fact, with the demise of small town basketball, the Harvey boys should probably go 'AA'....for the reasons mentioned above. Harvey plays Woodstock, CN, St.Stephen and Fundy just about every year anyway.....
I guess if you can't put up a bunch of consecutive banners....maybe you should stay in 'A' ball.......2-2 in the last four finals that Harvey has played in......big deal.....probably lose to Caldwell in the final this year...2-3....and if Devon Park didn't piss away an 11 point halftime lead...you would be looking at 1-4....not exactly a stellar record.
Keep underachieving......lol.

There, I think I've done enough damage for one day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballizlife619

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:35 am

No one cares.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Birdman33

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:38 am

ballizlife619 wrote:
No one cares.

Don't be late for your grade 9 English class.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Viking02

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:18 am

Haha Thanks Breaker I tried not to biased there. I can't remember much before that Hartland team but I have some reliable sources for information I guess. I think when I was growing up I could have named every A champion from about 75 up but I am pretty out of practice now. I mentioned Stanley and UMRHS because I could remember them being in the equation for a few years there mid 90's. I think Stanley gave Caledonia a good run one year when they were supposed to be the favorite.

Correct me if I am wrong but that Hartland team was one of the first times a team threw the 3rd place game to get the 4th seed in the opposite Regional to avoid playing them. I'm looking at you 97' Devon Park. I was on Grand Manan for that SW Conference tournament. Everyone knew what you were up to, haha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:42 am

GM Breaker '84-'88 wrote:
BeeBall4Lifee wrote:

Please somebody acknowledge us....please! Hahaha....stop your begging...pathetic.
Who wants to acknowledge a team that has underachieved the last 30 plus years?? With all the advantages that Harvey has - population, centralization, being able to play quality programs like Woodstock and Carleton North every year, and being one of the few 'A' schools that can sustain a junior program....Harvey should have twice the banners that they have.....
In fact, with the demise of small town basketball, the Harvey boys should probably go 'AA'....for the reasons mentioned above. Harvey plays Woodstock, CN, St.Stephen and Fundy just about every year anyway.....
I guess if you can't put up a bunch of consecutive banners....maybe you should stay in 'A' ball.......2-2 in the last four finals that Harvey has played in......big deal.....probably lose to Caldwell in the final this year...2-3....and if Devon Park didn't piss away an 11 point halftime lead...you would be looking at 1-4....not exactly a stellar record.
Keep underachieving......lol.

There, I think I've done enough damage for one day.

Breaker I was just thinking to myself that I had not heard from you in a while.......nice to hear from you and glad to see you are following our program so closely....hope all is well my friend Smile    GO LAKERS GO !!!!

Last edited by BeeBall4Lifee on Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:44 am

ballizlife619 wrote:
No one cares.

You are correct no one cares about your one dimensional post.........also should you not be in class right now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:03 am

ballizlife619 wrote:
Im in class right now...schooling ur bitch ass

Stay Classy Man !!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:19 am

Its almost time to send the kids, or immature adults packing off this forum.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coachmac

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 am

baller24 wrote:

He is close to getting tossed. I'm tired of deleting/editing his profanity filled posts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.homesmoncton.com
ballizlife619

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:17 am

Agreed coach!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller24

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:26 am

You are way more tolerant than me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ThePhoenix

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:12 pm

baller24 wrote:

But then who would be left Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballizlife619

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:57 pm

A bunch of 40 year old virgins who've never won anything in their lives
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeeBall4Lifee

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:14 am

Where are you 619? Spin us a story about the weekend results please.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballizlife619

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:42 am

Props to KV for showing up to play but Leo threw the game and rightfully so to avoid a game vs the future provincial champs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballizlife619

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:56 am

Threw the game against sussex**
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballmax

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:59 am

Throwing games is always dangerous. Not sure if LHHS did that or not. If they did, they didn't do a very good job of it, going to double OT. This makes our sectional even tougher with LHHS, KV, BMHS and RHS all in the same sectional. With all due respect to Sussex, MVHS and MHS, I think that 4 of the top 5 teams are in the same area now. It'll be a difficult, hard fought weekend. Thankfully, whoever comes out of this region will have a week to rest before Harbour Station. On the other hand, FHS looks pretty hard to beat. The other teams in that section have their work cut out for them. They seem pretty unstoppable. They move the ball so quickly, teams do not have time to adjust. If they can't slash their way inside, they kill you from the outside with three point shots from 5 or 6 different players. They seem to have such a well-rounded offence that you cannot concentrate on shutting down one or two guys.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballizlife619

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:21 pm

I say it's FHS vs either Leo/Bernice/KV riverview isn't quite ready...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balltillyoufall

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:47 pm

In fairness though ballmax from what i have seen, mhs and mvhs are both better than rhs, but your main point is still valid. If leo really was throwing the game they have definitely put themselves in quite the situation, where no matter what happens they will be facing teams that i would argue are both better than them in kvhs and bmhs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Balltillyoufall

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:49 pm

Unless of course rhs defeats kvhs, which is a possibility, and even then they are in for a difficult game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What has happened to A boys basketball?   Today at 11:02 am

Back to top Go down

What has happened to A boys basketball?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next