HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heritage Hoops

PostSubject: Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament   Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:12 am

Last edited by Heritage Hoops on Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Heritage Hoops

PostSubject: Re: Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament   Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:21 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVRox

PostSubject: Re: Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament   Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks for posting the draw Heritage Hoops. Would be great if other tournaments would do the same.

Some thoughts on a few of the match-ups

Top of Draw:
1. Kits over St George's in the quarters (Panorama Ridge could beat St George's as well)
2. KSS vs Terry Fox in other quarters (Fox will always battle)
3. Kits vs KSS in semi's - Is Simson still playing football...? KSS by 20+

Bottom of Draw
1. VC over Yale (with Braich getting 45) - VC has too much size
2. Oak Bay over Holy Cross (might be a record number of 3's attempted) - HC is still a year away
3. West Van over Mouat
4. Churchill over Port Moody - might get ugly
5. Quarters: VC over Oak Bay - too much size
6. Quarters: SWC over West Van - quite the starting 5 for SWC
7. Semi: SWC over VC. VC has a size advantage, but skill-wise, SWC wins by 20+

Final: SWC over KSS - might be the 1st close game either team has. KSS wins IF Shepard goes for 30 (& Simson plays)
MVP: Pajayon - SWC

As mentioned previously, this was an outstanding tournament last year (just looked at some of the comments/game reports from last year). Coach Yash mentioned a few "underclassman" names that stood out - Riley Braich (Yale), Rysen John (VC), Pajayon, Virk, Lui (SWC), Madhu McConnell (Oak Bay), Keegan Konn (Holy Cross). Add to that all the KSS, Kits talent.

Too bad that Walnut Grove isn't in it with all their exceptional Gr 11's.

Anyone else with some early picks or players to watch...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rebound1

PostSubject: 2015 Kodiac Klassic   Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:18 pm

I heard that Gabe Laza tore his ACL, if that's the case I'm afraid  that Fox won't be heading to LEC this year. I watched him last year at the Kodiak tourney and Legal Beagle, he put on quite a show. Unfortunately injuries and sports go hand in hand, sometimes we see our favorite heroes fall from grace, not by their own doing , but by unfortunate circumstances. Does anyone know his situation? Wish him all the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Heritage Hoops

PostSubject: Re: Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament   Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:13 pm

The Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament gets underway tomorrow!

Follow us on twitter @HWSSevents for live tweets throughout the tournament, and come on up to Heritage Woods to check out some of the action live.  There will be a fully operational concession, competitive games, and a live DJ each night.  The quarter-finals begin tomorrow evening, starting @ 3:30PM.

For more tournament information, check out our website: http://kodiakklassic.ca/

This year we're pleased to announce a $5000 scholarship fund, generated through the support of our alumni.  In September, graduating athletes who are competing in the Kodiak Klassic, were invited to apply for one of five $1000 scholarships.  Applicants were required to demonstrate service, leadership, and volunteerism in their school community; character, work ethic, and sportsmanship on the basketball court; and scholastic success in their senior courses.  Following Saturday's championship game, we will be awarding these scholarships to five very deserving applicants.

Admission:
Adults - $5
Students - $3

1st Round Match-ups at Heritage Woods:
Game 1: (8:30AM) Heritage Woods vs. Kitsilano
Game 3: (10:15AM) Kelowna vs. Killarney
Game 5: (12:00PM) Yale vs. Vancouver College
Game 7: (1:45PM) W.J. Mouat vs. West Van

1st Round Match-ups at Port Moody Secondary:
Game 2: (8:30AM) St. George's vs. Panorama Ridge
Game 4: (10:15AM) Terry Fox vs. St. Francis Xavier (Edmonton, Alberta)
Game 6: (12:00PM) Holy Cross vs. Oak Bay
Game 8: (1:45PM) Churchill vs. Port Moody
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FVRox

PostSubject: Re: Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament   Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Some thoughts on Day 1 - lots of lopsided scores, more than I thought. A few headlines for me:

1. No, Riley Braich does not need JBB to score. The kid can shoot. He can score. He can dish (as a last resort).
2. Best game of Day 1: Yale vs Oak Bay. Yale dominated the paint and boards, & Braich scored at will, but a late barrage of 3's & a good 2nd half from Myka Tang Blumenshein kept Oak Bay in game. Blumenshein had a chance to win it with 2 seconds left. Solid game by both teams.
3. My heart hurt as Fox got lit up by KSS.
4. Mouat is my surprise team - played well against West Van, & better than score indicated vs SWC.
5. Early season blues - VC & West Van
6. Football & volleyball powers might need a little more time to get up to speed. Overheard someone mentioning Oak Bay was missing 2 SR starters. Likely other teams are experiencing similar issues.
7. Overemphasis on the 3. Is it just me or do teams rely too much on the 3. Their %'s are low, they don't get as many offensive rebounds, & they don't get to the free throw line as much. Maybe I'm old school, but scoring from the paint isn't a bad thing. I watch the provincials most years & the teams that rely on the 3 rarely win. It works in the NBA, but high school...?
8. Interested to see Yale play Churchill. Everyone underestimates Yale, this year AND last year. They protect the ball, they play tough defense, they aren't tall - but their bigs are aggressive, & most importantly they keep the ball in their best players hands (alot). That's not a bad thing. I don't think their coach gets enough credit. Churchill relies on skill & they have an abundance of it with their 4 "Drive/BC Team" key players, all who have won a provincial championship. Yale could surprise.
8.My pick is KSS. While SWC matches up with KSS skill, they have no answer for Grant Sheppard. Who does? Maybe Walnut Grove - but that's for another time & place.

Special thanks to Heritage Woods & Port Moody - great tournament.
Anyone else like to share...?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach Yash

PostSubject: Re: Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament   Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Many thanks to coach Greg Schellenberg, the Heritage Woods faculty, staff and students for putting on another great Kodiak Klassic tournament.

A short write-up of the final game w/ final standings and award winners can be found at BCHoopScoop.ca
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bchoopscoop.ca
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament   Today at 9:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Heritage Woods' Kodiak Klassic Sr. Boys Basketball Tournament
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1