HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

AAA Boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: AAA Boys    Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:33 pm

Anyone have any insights on 3A across the province this year? Chestermere, Leduc, St Peter the Apostle, Wetaskiwin, Strathcona Christian, Holy Trinity Okotoks, WR Myers, - who brings back a championship contending team this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:46 pm

A little quieter on the 3A front although its always that way. I'll give it go to start off. Maybe someone who knows more will chime in.

1. Chestermere - I would say they had the 2nd best team in the province last year and still didn't win 3A provincials. It looked like they were bringing back some of their big players so I'm going to bet they'll be right up there in the ranking.
2. Leduc - Not far behind Chestermere last year and they also bring back some of their key guys.
3. Strathcona Christian - same as the first two.
4. Holy Trinity - same as the first three.

Now I'm just guessing.

5. Wetaskiwin - always tough and well coached
6. Sturgeon - same as above
7. Edmonton Christian - same as above
8. St Albert - same as above
9. WR Myers - bring back all their size? After last year I'm really not sure.
10. Olds - hosting so they must think they have something and a shot if they can get through their zone?

A few scores into the season will make 3A a lot easier.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deep3

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:45 am

Leduc is 4A this year and is going through a rebuilding year. They lost 10 of 13 players last year.

SPA is also rebuilding after most of their team being grade 12 last year.

SCA should be the top contender in the Edmonton 3A zone. They return 2 of their best players and have a solid core of grade 12's.

I've heard Edmonton Christian has dropped down to 2A this year, not sure if that is happening or not.

Saint Albert Christian always fields a competitive team and this year should be no different.

Chestermere is returning their big and are always tough.

Wetaskiwin doesn't have much size this year but is well coached and always seems to peak at the right time of year.

Don't know much about the other 3A schools. Don't think 3A schools will be pushing the 4A schools as much as last year however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:39 am

Good info on Edmonton. Its hard to get a read on 3A early since they're so spread out over the province. A few scores will really help clear things up. There are a lot of teams on the edge of 3A/4A. It will be interesting to see declarations for basketball. The top fews teams in 3A almost always push the top 10 and HM 4A teams. I don't doubt that will happen again, especially when a team like Chestermere returns their big and a few key players from last year. I just looked up SCA from when they were here last year. They do bring back some strong players and look like they'll be one of the top teams.

Any one from Central, South Central and the South have some local information? HTA? Olds hosting was a surprise - any reasons there? It sounds like WR Myers returns their bigs and should have a good team. Some details out of Medicine Hat league anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:29 pm

I don't know if Myers will have a good team. They might. The might not but they will have some returning size. Do not read too much into it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
svcoach90

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:26 am

I think Cochrane will be a top 2 3A team this year. They return all players that have an impact. Close knit team. Well coached. Also I think HTA will take a step back this year. They lost a lot of star power to graduation. Chestermere will be solid with 4 key returning players. They did lose a lot of top end talent and depth with 8 or so players graduating. They do return the 6'8" big.

South Central looks like a dog fight for another year. Cochrane looks like they have the advantage early on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:01 pm

Good information on South Central. I had forgotten about Cochrane and their name came up this morning. I did look up a post from last year that had them as 10s and 11s. They do have talent that has gotten some very high praise from on here and around the province. We'll see how they match up with the likes of Chestermere and SCA who are going to be a lot bigger up front. The Rodehutskors kid will be a tough match up for most teams in the province regardless of how many As they're playing in.

I also heard this morning that Central Zone is expecting a big year. Wetaskiwin, Camrose, HJ Cody, Ponoka. I'm not sure what that is in comparison too. And nothing yet out of Medicine Hat and the South - 5 teams there that I know almost nothing about other than WR Myers. It would be nice to get some local info as its often hard to tell even when the season starts because 3A is so spread out. Certainly a different dynamic but so far it appears the power will be out of South Central and Edmonton again this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:46 am

I thought there were some really entertaining 3A threads last year despite the lack of a local 3A team here. Optimist, D-It-Up, svcoach90, 456654 from Chestermere led the way but we had 19283 from Leduc, HTAbball and Guest from HTA, For Three from SACHS, Black Oak from Edmonton Christian, bballking from SPA, Cochrane from Cochrane, 2guard14 from Central, Ball456 and hoopfan123 from the south.

It can't be just deep3 and svcoach90 that have any interest and knowledge in 3A this year. There is no way these are all parents with kids that graduated last year. If you're reading this add something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:26 am

In terms of HTA this year it may be a bit of a rebuilding year as the team only returns 4 players from last year and 1 starter. There are some solid players coming in from the JV team so it will be interesting to see how they develop this year.
As for the rest I don't know a lot but in the SC Zone the favorites have to be Cochrane and Chestermere. In Edmonton teams like SPA and Leduc will be much different since they lost pretty much their whole teams to graduation. I don't think Myers will be that good from the south but should be better than last year at least.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:47 pm

12321 wrote:
I thought there were some really entertaining 3A threads last year despite the lack of a local 3A team here. Optimist, D-It-Up, svcoach90, 456654 from Chestermere led the way but we had 19283 from Leduc, HTAbball and Guest from HTA, For Three from SACHS, Black Oak from Edmonton Christian, bballking from SPA, Cochrane from Cochrane, 2guard14 from Central, Ball456 and hoopfan123 from the south.

It can't be just deep3 and svcoach90 that have any interest and knowledge in 3A this year. There is no way these are all parents with kids that graduated last year. If you're reading this add something.

12321 I'm a bit unplugged from 3A this year so far, but looking forward to the season starting for 4A and 3A ball. Should be an exciting league in the south. Once again, I think it's unfortunate that Winston and Myers are not able to participate in the south league for boys and still play 3A. I don't understand this at all. It was that way for years and years. It's still that way on the girls side! Why would a league restrict it for boys but not for girls? Someone please come up with a reasonable explanation. Winston and Myers would both be better as a result of playing in a stronger league (winston still does of course) but then able to go to playoffs at the 3A level. I've asked before and no one has given me an answer that I find satisfactory, the response is typically "well it's political." Not sure what that means or why it needs to be that way. Both programs would fare better provincially in 3A if they were able to compete against eachother as well as in a stronger deeper league in my opinion. Until then, I think these two teams will suffer a bit. Myers won't get any stronger as they'll be playing down a level. And Winston will perennially be no better than 4th or 5th place in most years. So until a change is made I think the south will remain a step behind in 3A competition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:06 pm

I completely agree with you. You may remember that we used to have Kainai playing in the league to make it 10 and then in certain years they went on to play 1A provincially. The way I understand it is that ASAA requires a minimum of 8 teams from the south to play 4A in order to get 3 provincial tournament berths. Myers and WC have both played 3A and 4A in different years so the issue became who got to declare 3A in the years when they could make a run in 3A but not 4A. Kainai left, Myers declared 3A one year and forced WC to 4A when they had a shot at 3A. Then they were scheduled to host 3A that one year and Myers left because they didn't want to declare 4A and lose the shot at provincials. I think ASAA made an exception that year because they didn't have a choice. If Myers comes back, they'll be forced to play 4A and WC will declare 3A. There is some rotation thing with school population and so on but I don't know exactly how that works. Can anyone else shed more light on it than that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: south league   Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:19 pm

So essentially you are saying that the ability to opt to 3A has been taken away by the desire to increase the league's number of provincial births. Ok, I can see that this is at least somewhat reasonable. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't ASAA also consider rankings through the year in determining numbers of provincial births? So Let's say for instance that the south league has had 3 teams bouncing around the top 12 or so teams in 4A rankings wouldn't they consider it reasonable for the south to have 3 births. And on the other hand if only 1 or 2 teams are getting ranked I think it should be reasonable to only send 2 teams to the tournament. If rankings are taken into consideration, than having 1 or 2 teams opting to 3A shouldn't really affect it. If Raymond and Cardston and LCI are all ranked consistently than what the hell difference does it make if Myers of WC declares 3A? Do they perhaps look down on 4A declared schools having 'wins' against 3A schools? Most teams play enough 4A tournaments that they will be ranked if they are good enough to be ranked. And if a league has multiple teams consistently ranked than I don't think it should matter what happens below them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:36 am

There are 2 automatic spots for the south zone because they have so many 4A teams. 3 wildcards are allocated to 3 different zones based on ranking. It would be almost impossible for the south zone not to get one of those wildcard allocations as long as they have 1 team in the top 10 since central, south-central, and most of the north zones don't have any top 10. Calgary and Edmonton are almost assured 1 wildcard each.

If south zone had only four 4A teams and the central zone forced all its teams to play 4A and had 8, the central zone would get 2 automatic berths and the south would get 1. Ranking only counts toward those 3 wildcard spots so while it would be possible but not automatic for the south to get 2 spots, it for sure wouldn't get 3.

I've heard that another reason for forcing 4A is for the south league championship to act the same as the zone playoffs but 3A teams can compete in the Edmonton city championships and still play 3A. Why not the south?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:47 am

So the 3A agenda is to get the zone to allow Winston Churchill and Myers to be 3A and still play in the league? I can't see them as 3A contenders any more than they are in 4A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:04 am

thetruth2 wrote:
So the 3A agenda is to get the zone to allow Winston Churchill and Myers to be 3A and still play in the league? I can't see them as 3A contenders any more than they are in 4A.

This is a bit short sighted. Are they contenders this year? No. They aren't. But, teams cycle as you may understand. WC had a very good team when they were forced up to 4A a few years ago. They quite likely would have had a very good shot at 3A title that year. They qualified for 4A provs as it was. Myers is not a contender either, but that doesn't mean they won't be. I don't see either team ever contending for anything 4A in the near future, but it's reasonable to think that 3A could bring some success to those schools. I could just as easily argue that it's the agenda of 4A schools to keep them out so that they have a better shot at making provincials without being a top 2 league team or even a top ten provincially ranked team. Last year was a bit of an anomoly with 3 south teams making it to the final 4. Most years that third entry really has no shot and contending for the 4A title. So why limit membership in the interest of sending an extra team that likely doesn't have a chance to win?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:25 am

Agenda is a strong word but I would like to see that. I do think the quality of 3A is undersold. And if the south zone brass wants to promote southern alberta basketball, why not have multiple teams in the 3A provincials as well as the 4A provincials? I think ball456 is right in that Myers and WC may not compete this year in 3A and not year in and year out but who does? Overall they'd be right in there with the chance of going to a provincial championships on a semi regular basis. That's a great opportunity for those players and it would help those programs grow.

Take a look back at the last couple of years. The same amount of players have come out of 3A to play CIS as have 4A despite the overall higher calibre of ball being played in 4A. Those top 3A teams and those top 3A players compete at the same level as the best 4A teams and 4A players. They're just spread out over the province and there are fewer good 3A teams. In fact, a top 4-6 players in the province list this year is probably split 50/50 between 3A and 4A. I just don't understand why the zone doesn't haven't the same foresight as Edmonton when it comes to 3A/4A.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:45 am

Sounds like an agenda to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:26 pm

thetruth2 wrote:
Sounds like an agenda to me.

Please list for me all of the teams and leagues in the province that don't have an 'agenda'.... This is ridiculous. Every single school or league has some kind of an agenda. You don't think SAIAC has an agenda to get more 4A provincial births? Of course they do! That's why it is the way it is. But, if there are strong teams that would compete provincially I believe that we would still get the FAIR amount of births. FAIR being the key word there. A few years ago when teams in SAIAC were still able to play down, Cardston and Raymond were hosting provincials and the south was given the host birth as well as 3 more. So I don't really believe that having Myers and WC in the league but heading to 3A would really change the 3 birth opportunity. There have been many examples of the south getting 3 teams in while other schools were able to play down. It was this way 15 years ago. I might wonder if CCH might play down the odd year as they used to do here and there. But Raymond, Magrath, Cardston, LCI, Chinook, and Med Hat will probably never drop to 3A. It's beneath them....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:54 pm

One issue to remember there is always suppose to be 8 teams in the boys 4a every year in the south constitution for the boys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
3A

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:24 am

High river tournament results
Rd 1:
Camrose over Highwood
WR Myers over Strathmore
Wetaskiwin over George McDougall
SCA over McCoy

Rd 2:
Strathmore won vs Highwood
McCoy won vs George Mac
WR Myers won vs Camrose
SCA won vs Wetaskiwin

Not sure on 7th place HW VS Gmac
5th Strathmore own vs McCoy
3rd Camrose won vs Wetaskiwin
1st SCA won vs WR Myers

SCA won all of their games handily. Solid team. Good depth, size and shooting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CallOfDuty2020

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:48 pm

What's your guys thoughts on this years Eagle Butte High School Talons? They Beat WR Myers Last Night by 10...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cochrane

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:29 pm

South Central Zone will be tough again this year. Cochrane brings back the core from last year. We also have some size. Chestermere will have another strong group and smaller teams will have difficulty stopping them down low. There are a few other teams in contention and whoever can keep their key guys healthy and playing all year have the best shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:52 pm

CallOfDuty2020 wrote:
What's your guys thoughts on this years Eagle Butte High School Talons? They Beat WR Myers Last Night by 10...

I'll answer your question with a question. Is Myers even good this year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopfan123

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:02 pm

Nope I don't think they'll be very good this year not a lot of talent. Average at 3A, won't be able to compete with the top 6 or 7 3A teams forsure. Nice w for EB but I wouldn't get too excited over the 7 point game in early december.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HTAbball

PostSubject: Re: AAA Boys    Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Knights Classic Results (HTA Okotoks)
Round 1:
Chestermere over WR Myers 86-55
St.Albert over Springbank 83-42
George Mac over SPA 79-65
HTA over Olds 71-45

Round 2:
Semis: