HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Basketball BC thoughts...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Basketball BC thoughts...   Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:20 am

I've coached players on regional teams, and seen them come back from Provincial team a changed player. Playing against high competition all summer helps tremendously. I think Basketball BC does a great job with the provincial team program, but I think, maybe by no fault of theirs or maybe by a fault of theirs, it usually ends up promoting basketball to mostly Lower Mainland kids. What I think they should do, and I know it has some flaws, is make two provincial teams for every age group. One provincial team, consisting solely of kids from the Lower Mainland, and one consisting of the best kids from every other region. I think it would really promote Basketball province wide. I'm not saying this idea doesn't have flaws as well as Basketball BC's current operating philosophy does, I acknowledge it isn't a complete package. However, it would certainly be nice to a) have two provincial teams at every age, and b) have one provincial team that included the entire rest of the province. I guarantee the difference in skill level of the teams wouldn't be that great, and some years would be in favour of the team from outside the LM. Maybe the teams play each other to see who goes to Nationals? And they go to all the same tourneys still. Just some thoughts, I think it would be great for developing all players of BC.

Thoughts? Modifications? Concerns? Criticisms?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC thoughts...   Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:30 pm

I don't think the interior would be that competitive on a regular basis. The U 17 just has Wagner from the interior, and the U16 has 4 kids 5 likely next year when Braxton is healthy. There are also exceptional players from the LM that do not even try out due to the club teams that they can play on. This years boys U16 team is an exception, , with Braxton they could take a run at the LM, but they would not have much of a bench.

An interior team is good to promote basketball there, but it would only weaken the Provincial team.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
okanaganbball

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC thoughts...   Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:25 am

Guarantee you could find kids who are almost or are just provincial team caliber from each region, at least 3 - 5 in the Okanagan every year, probably 1 or 2 from the North Central, 1 from North West generally, 1 from Kootenays, and then you would have players from each region who are below prov caliber but not by much. If you need me to make a list of guys with their credentials to prove the point I'd gladly do it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopster

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC thoughts...   Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:08 pm

I think in an average year that there may 2-3 kids from the OK that might be on the Provincial team. Keep in mind that most top dogs from outside the LM are at Provincial team tryouts. Many Provincial level kids in the LM do not try out because of the club programs do a decent job of developing them.

So I would agree the Interior would have a solid 5-6 players on average that could play Provincially, it would be a rarity that an Interior Provincial team could compete with a LM Provincial team that would cut kids better than the interiors bottom 6 players.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hoopstar

PostSubject: Totally agree with this idea   Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:38 pm

I agree that Basketball BC needs to represent all of BC. There is a natural bias towards kids/teams from the lower mainland.
This is an excellent way to show they are interested in developing the sport outside the lower mainland.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC thoughts...   Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:40 pm

Sorry boys... it's never going to happen... not unless a LottoMax winner funds it.

I had this discussion with Ross from Basketball BC more than 10 years ago - before all the profit based stuff got going in the LM. The problem was simple - money. Not enough of it to have bigger regional teams.

When I started Victoria Prep some 10 years ago I was suggesting then to have similar regional teams and then a BC team. So the "Prep" teams would be made up of kids that did not make the BC teams. Every area would have an all-star team of kids. Money was always the answer.

When we ran the Prep team the first year it cost $65,000 - consisting of one trip to Las Vegas and one to Reno (where we flew) and driving to tournaments in Seattle (2), Port Angeles, Portland and Vancouver (2). No frills for the whole thing.

Basketball BC has had Blue and Red teams in the past with the Red team being a 2nd BC team with a reduced schedule. But money is always the answer. Also keep in mind that if they add an additional boys team they have to add an additional girls team as well.

The idea of having more kids playing at a higher developmental level is good. But is always falls back to money.

Lyle Dhur
Sportvictoria
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basketball BC thoughts...   Today at 6:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Basketball BC thoughts...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1