HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Crossedup2

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:52 am

Easy competition at Woodstock? I haven't seen enough of MVHS to make any guesses but KV is a strong team when everyone is there
Back to top Go down
View user profile
houndsball12

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:22 am

Mvhs is weak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mini-B Girls

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:30 am

MV is okay, I could agree with you. They are a weak team this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crossedup2

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:39 am

Hi Liam
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mini-B Girls

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:40 am

Hey Patty
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crossedup2

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:41 am

Saying bawhd?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mini-B Girls

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:51 am

You know, pumped for the weekend! What about you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crossedup2

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:56 am

Eating lunch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
newmie44

PostSubject: best girls jv team   Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:38 pm

Ballforlife1228 wrote:
KVHS is the best jv girls team. Beating everybody easily. Beat Sussex by 20 in the final in Fredericton. I believe they are unbeaten.

yeah KV jv girls are undefeated- powerhouse of grade 9 starters who would probably be varsity anywhere else. Nobody can get close to them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
newmie44

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:42 pm

KatFan wrote:
I heard that their was some type of altercation at FHS this weekend. Does anyone know what it was?

It was Carleton and Bernice...Carleton player almost got his a#$ kicked by both teams from what I saw over something he said to one of the BM players in the post game handshake. You can probably figure out the rest...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:46 pm

Last edited by Coachmac on Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inappropriate comments.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
houndsball12

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:55 pm

Truuu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller22w

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:15 pm

No class? A tad disrespectful wouldn't you say? Especially for the fact that it was only 2 players?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballforlife12345

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Yes, but the whole team is that way. They are all *******
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller22w

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 pm

Haha you're a joke j
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KatFan

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:22 pm

With the past weekends results, does that change the land scape of top teams in the province. I would assume that Saint John remains number one, does FHS move up and were does Leo Hayes fit.
Riverview has been on a slide as of late and Bernice McNaughton has had big wins over Leo Hayes and then loses to Carleton North.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:13 am

Hard for me to say as I haven't seen KV or FHS play, but have heard of KVs close games with SJHS.

1 SJHS
2 FHS
3 KV
4 RHS
5 BMHS/LHHS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:39 am

Coach.Red wrote:
Hard for me to say as I haven't seen KV or FHS play, but have heard of KVs close games with SJHS.

1 SJHS
2 FHS
3 KV
4 RHS
5 BMHS/LHHS

I would say that right now SJ and FHS are 1 and 2, the others are all pretty even.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:49 am

SJ has only lost 1 game all year, a game where they were down a starter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Are we at a point where as good as these top teams are, that JV as its currently constructed doesn't work for the majority of teams and and schools in the NBIAA.

I'm not sure what the solution is but various things I've heard mentioned in conversations:

-Allow grade 11's to play JV
- Go back to having a 2nd team of any ages that plays in a different category or classification.
-Eliminate the championships for JV teams and run it like they do in the states with jv's allowed to move up and down from varsity and play their own game schedule but only varsity has playoffs.
- Run Midget leagues
- ETc. Anything I've missed?

I know that in small and even large AA schools fielding teams of JV players and running comeptitive varsity teams in tough. At A schools if they can run a junior program it is primarily made up of grade 7-9 players and that is very different developmentally from teams made up of just grade 9-10's.

I understand at the larger schools kids are getting cut from both JV and Varsity tryouts, but the majority of schools who have 2 teams (whether its jV or exhibition) have to keep everyone and go find some people just to run them. I also see more and more teams with 8 or 9 players on rosters which impacts how you can coach kids developmentally and tactically in terms of their growth in order to field 2 teams. I know they have made some changes to the JV model at the playoff level to get teams more games at the end (similar to a BNB style provincial) vs single elimination. Even in some JV leagues where you have enough teams you are going to have regionals, and provincials that are basically the same teams playing each other twice because of the division of teams and schools. For all the things I like about JV and how it works for the kids it works for, I'm not sure it is working for enough areas and kids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:37 pm

If you allow grade 11's to play JV, you will end up dropping 3-4 grade 9's. Chances are if the grade 11 isn't good enough to make varsity in grade 11, he isn't going to be a huge contributor in grade 12. However, those grade 9's who would normally make the JV team will get development going into grade 10
If I was involved with a high school team at either the JV or Varsity level, I'd rather keep the grade 9 around for 4 years than the grade 11 for 1-2 years.

Look at SJHS JV this year, they're top of the province AND have 2 grade 10's playing Varsity (Lambert and Vicente).

Look at RHS JV last year, they were top of the province AND had a grade 10 playing Varsity (Currie).

Look at MHS this year, they are very weak but also have 3 grade 10's playing (2 starting) Varsity (Kogler, Hoffer and Estie).

Now those are three large schools who have the numbers to field both teams and I understand smaller schools wont have those kind of numbers. Perhaps I'm biased being apart of a AAA school but I think it's working as is.

For the teams who have grade 10's playing up, they get extra playing time. This will let them develop more than they would had they A) had the grade 10's on the JV team or B) not made the team because grade 11's took their spot.

As some have said before, who cares about JV banners. The kids like them, so let them have their fun. The real test is if they can win at the JV level and repeat at the senior level when all the cards are on the table.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Coach.Red wrote:
If you allow grade 11's to play JV, you will end up dropping 3-4 grade 9's. Chances are if the grade 11 isn't good enough to make varsity in grade 11, he isn't going to be a huge contributor in grade 12. However, those grade 9's who would normally make the JV team will get development going into grade 10
If I was involved with a high school team at either the JV or Varsity level, I'd rather keep the grade 9 around for 4 years than the grade 11 for 1-2 years.

Look at SJHS JV this year, they're top of the province AND have 2 grade 10's playing Varsity (Lambert and Vicente).

Look at RHS JV last year, they were top of the province AND had a grade 10 playing Varsity (Currie).

Look at MHS this year, they are very weak but also have 3 grade 10's playing (2 starting) Varsity (Kogler, Hoffer and Estie).

Now those are three large schools who have the numbers to field both teams and I understand smaller schools wont have those kind of numbers. Perhaps I'm biased being apart of a AAA school but I think it's working as is.

For the teams who have grade 10's playing up, they get extra playing time. This will let them develop more than they would had they A) had the grade 10's on the JV team or B) not made the team because grade 11's took their spot.

As some have said before, who cares about JV banners. The kids like them, so let them have their fun. The real test is if they can win at the JV level and repeat at the senior level when all the cards are on the table.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, in the places its working its working. My point is that beyond these schools where it works the model seems to fall short of meeting needs of many schools.

In senior boys AAA there are 18 competitive varsity teams, and 15 Jr teams.

In Senior girls AAA there are 15 competitive varsity teams and 14 jr teams ( +4 more AA jv teams that have to play AAA because there is no ther JV girls league.

There aren't enough A or AA school jv teams to have a boys league on their own so they have a combined league of 9 teams. Between those two divisions there are 35 registered competitive varsity teams.

On the girls side there is no JV league for a or aa yet 28 varsity teams between the two combined leagues.

At the same time there are 17 exhibition teams registered on the girls side and 10 exhibition teams registered on the boys sides. Thats just the numbers. If the kids want a place to play that is good for their development, good for the program, and with a chance to play for something (banner or whatever) then JV does that for the AAA schools for the majority of A and AA schools it just doesn't seem to work as layed out, just looking at the math and the people I talk to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller22w

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:07 pm

Sjhs has 3 grade 10s moved up( lambert, vincente and Richard) last year Carleton North beat river view??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:13 pm

Baller22w wrote:
Sjhs has 3 grade 10s moved up( lambert, vincente and Richard) last year Carleton North beat river view??

Sorry I missed the part where CNHS beating Riverview last year is relevant to the discussion about JV issues in the province.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller22w

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:18 pm

I was just correcting coach djrs statement?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams   Today at 3:07 pm

Back to top Go down

Top Jr. Varsity Basketball Teams
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next