HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

4A Girls Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JF1914

PostSubject: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:05 pm

The first provincial rankings will be coming out on January 18. This is a little later than usual but it will allow for a little more results to be taken into play and may be a little more accurate. Any thoughts or predictions?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
coach123

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:29 pm

Here's my attempt...

1. St Francis
2. Western Canada
3. JP
4. LCI
5. Centennial
6. Cardston
7. SACHS
8. CCH
9. Spruce Grove
10. Med Hat

Who am I forgetting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JF1914

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:25 am

I'm not sure of the order yet, but the teams in the running I think would be:
Calgary- St Francis is the clear #1, western, centennial the top 3, then maybe grandin and st Mary's?
Edmonton- JP, spruce grove, Sachs, Paul Kane, Bev facey I think are the top 5. Sachs beat spruce grove in league, but not sure if that should put them ahead or not.
South- this one is a bit of a crap shoot based on mixed results. I think top 4 are likely Catholic central, LCI, cardston, and med hat, but not sure of the order! LCI seemed to be the favorite, but lost to cardston. And cardston was beaten by CCH. Anyone know if CCH has played LCI in any format?
I think a team people may write off but has some talent is lindsay Thurber from the central zone. Their weakness may be in their lack of competition throughout the season.
Not sure about the south central zone, foothills? But don't know if they would compete with the top teams from the other zones.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:54 am

In the south I would put LCI then cardston based on overall record and how close game was then CCH based on how they looked when I saw them play two really good player though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBall

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:46 pm

I have seen a number of games this year in Calgary and the South.
Calgary is 1. St Francis (province too) 2. Western 3. Centennial
South 1. LCI 2. CCH 3. Cardston

I've watched all three of these teams in the south play a few games.  I would chalk LCI's 6 point loss to Cardston as an anomaly.  I watched LCI beat Medicine Hat by 40 and Magrath by 35.  Give credit to Cardston, but the LCI team on Saturday night just had one of those games where nothing went right and they looked nothing like what I had seen the previous two games.  CCH plays very tough in your face D, but the eyeball test tells me that they are just a  small step behind LCI, but they did beat Cardston by 13 or 15.

My attempt:
1. St Francis
2. JP
3. Western
4. LCI
5. Centennial
6. CCHS
7. SACHS
8. Spruce Grove
9. Cardston
10/11. Med Hat/ Grandin
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JDeeds

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:32 am

Some comments..
Ranking periods were changed so as to eliminate a more or less meaningless ranking period in early December that when it came down to final rankings was really not relied upon to begin with. So many teams only have 2-3 games under their belt that it was pure guess/speculation. I think a later ranking period allows for more accuracy to start with and places more emphasis on the 3 ranking periods. Also teams having the option to opt up or stay are now given until January 15th vs December 15th in years past, so I just think this will give coaches and rankers a better feel about where they sit etc.
SACHS has decided to stay 4A and will remain so.
St Francis is clear #1 with JP/Western 2a and 2b. I think CCH should be higher than LCI based on their performance in Edmonton at PK tournament where they beat PK, Spruce and lost to JP by 7. I totally get the LCI loss to Cardston as being "one of those days" (we had one vs JP in league play...) but rankers need to go records, etc.
I also don't think #3 out of Calgary, Centennial is this case is better than #2 Edmonton (at this point) or #1 South. They have had very good results and may certainly be top 4-5 in next ranking but not right now. Edmonton #2 is a toss up between SACHS/Spruce with SACHS winning the head to head but I believe Spruce has played a slightly harder schedule of AB teams (SACHS played some top BC teams and went 4-1).
So my top 7 or so at this point would be
1 - St. FX
2 - JP
3 - Western
4 - CCH
5 - SACHS
6 - Centennial
7 - LCI
8 - Spruce Grove
9 - Grandin
10 - PK or Cardston
We have an easier league schedule second semester (we have played JP, Spruce, Leduc, Bev Facey, Scona and St. Joes) but our tournament schedule is more difficult.
Gradin Ghosts tournament will hopefully have SACHS playing Gradin in a Semi vs a Raymond vs St. FX/Med Hat
Tri Prov - lots of very good out of province teams. If an Alberta team gets to the finals I will be impressed.
Spruce Grove - we start with Raymond in round 1. Yikes. Very good draw there as well.

As an overall comment, there a lot of very good teams but I think to this point the top 3 have distanced themselves slightly from the others. The scary thing is that they can play a multitude of different styles and create match-up nightmares. They can go big, inside / outside, - very much pick your poison. The rest of the teams may be slightly more 1 dimensional - SACHS, we are small, have to go up tempo etc like many of the south teams. Dictating pace and seeing if you can get a top team to play your style of play (somehow) and then having a great game will be the key to knocking off the top 3 teams at this point!

Lots of BB to be played yet - so enjoy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:36 pm

The issue is that LCI also beat Paul Kane and spruce grove at Edmonton tournament then lost to st Francis by 16 so I don't really know will be interested to see them play
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:22 pm

Rankings up Calgary got some love but feels right to me other then the fact I don't think Raymond is hm but fear that only got proved after rankings complied
Back to top Go down
View user profile
girlballer

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:14 pm

1. St Francis
2. Western
3. Jasper Place
4. St. Albert
5. Catholic Central
6. Centennial
7. LCI
8. Spruce Grove
9. Bishop Grandin
10. Paul Kane

Seems reasonable. Western and Jasper Place can easily flip flop, no reason to start the big debate right now. Jasper Place is coming to Calgary to play in Western's tournament so things will work itself out.

I think St. Francis can be beaten though. At the start of the season there was a lot of hype they couldn't lose, but after watching them play, they aren't that deep and if they show up to a game not prepared any of these teams can pick them off. February will be a busy month for everyone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4A Girls Rankings   Today at 7:16 am

Back to top Go down

4A Girls Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1