HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

First Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
treyfactor

PostSubject: First Rankings   Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Why no rankings this season til the 18th of January?  Lots of teams are far different now than at the beginning of the season.  Just curious as why Jan 18 before the break; to me we could have had 1 -2 rankings before this point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:40 pm

I think the reason is to avoid what happened last year and for the first rankings to show how things really are early ones can be a bit of a crapshoot
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:05 pm

So game 1 has the same impact as game 15? I thought rankings throughout the season gave a better snapshot than a couple at the end. Just was curious... as it does impact seedings and provincial berths.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:23 pm

After all that doom and gloom early the south is going to rank just fine. Raymond, Cardston, Medicine Hat and LCI should all be top 10. Magrath has been better than I thought and should be HM. Raymond should be #1 coming out of the south unless LCI can hold court. In Calgary its Bishop Obyrne and Lester B Pearson although Obyrne hasn't played anyone good. Father Lacombe, Bishop McNally, Notre Dame, Churchill will be right in there. Edmonton could be the weakest zone but Ainlay will be #1 and Oleary will be close. Jasper Place and Ross Shepard too. Foothills is a bit of a surprise and should be HM.

For you 3A folks, it might be a little easier. I have seen Chestermere play and they're good. In the opinion of a pretty good coach their only competition this year will be Cochrane and Strathcona Christian Academy. I don't know much about any other teams and I suspect there are some decent teams out there but I don't know who they are. I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that WR Myers or Eagle Butte are not going to be on that list. If they are its a sad state of affairs for 3A basketball in this province.

My guess
1. Ainlay
2. Raymond
3. Cardston
4. Lester B Pearson
5. Oleary
6. LCI
7. Obyrne
8. Medicine Hat
9. Notre Dame
10. Ross Shepard

HM
Foothills
Magrath
Jasper Place
Bishop McNally
Father Lacombe

3A.
1. Chestermere
2. Cochrane
3. Strathcona Christian
4-10. HM ???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:30 pm

Has shep beat jasper place recently I know that jasper place won shep tournament and shep didn't make the final of it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Everything rotates around the south which as best I can tell judging from this forum is the center of the basketball universe. I see only 1 undefeated team and only two 1 loss teams. None of those are from the south.

Best teams so far this year are BOB, Pearson, and HA. 1, 2, 3.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Sounds right no one from south think this is a high quality year in the south and I would put Ainlay one just based on past couple of years
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:50 pm

1.Ainley
2.Pearson
3.Cardston
4.Raymond
5.OByrne
6.Oleary
7.Ross Shepp
8.McNally
9.Notre Dame
10.LCI

Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:59 pm

I respectfully disagree has Oleary lost many games to be so low I can see one south team top 5 but Raymond and cardston even more so haven't yet play other good teams outside of south and LCI is not that far behind cardston and Raymond I would maybe have all three somewhere between 4 and 8 just my two cents
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: difficult   Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:26 pm

I disagree with westwind Bball, I think the south has some strong teams. I don't know that the south will win provincials, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 south teams perform quite well at provincials. It seems that everyone agrees that Ainlay is in shape to be number 1 again and probably has a decent chance to 3-peat. But, I don't think they are the dominant team they've been. At Sugar bowl Cardston, LCI, and Raymond all gave a decent run at Ainlay. Cardston I believe was winning by double digits for a bit in their game against Ainlay. Yes, they still lost. LCI also had a strong performance against Ainlay and I believe was up a couple points at half. I don't think LCI could beat Ainlay this year, but they were in the game for sure. Raymond also played close against Ainlay, I didn't watch that game, but I think Raymond is a team that could probably beat anyone in the province based on their potential to run and shoot the ball. Problem is it will be tough to do that 4 games straight at provincials but ya never know. I haven't seen many south-calgary games and don't know much about calgary. SWC lost to LCI and Cardston. Bishop Mcnally lost to Raymond but beat CCH. I wasn't overly impressed with Bishop Mcnally. Definitely a down/rebuilding year for them from what I saw. Not to say they were bad, just not the team they were last year for sure. Although I keep hearing how good they are, I have not seen BOB or Pearson but maybe they've played SWC and McNally and so we can compare some of those results. Anyone have info on that? As for the south I'd say the order should be Cardston, Raymond and then LCI followed by Med Hat. Cardston and Raymond are 1-1 with eachother. They could play eachother 10 times and probably split it pretty evenly, but Cardston won the last meeting and they are don't have a loss in league play while Raymond lost to Med Hat early on so I'd put Cardston first and Raymond a close second. LCI has looked good, but doesn't have the wins to put them ahead of either Cardston or Raymond. I think they'll improve as the season goes on.

As for the comment from Calgary hoops, no we don't think the south is the center of the universe, but we think we have good teams that are capable of competing with anyone in the province. I'm happy to say that BOB and Pearson are most likely very good teams as well and perhaps they are better than the south teams. But, fans down here haven't really seen the higher calgary teams other than McNally and SWC and both of them lost against the stronger south teams. I see they are both undefeated in the calgary league, so what else can I really conclude. BOB and Pearson may only have 1 loss, but who have they beat? Some of us don't have access to exnet scores and really have no idea what the BOB and Pearson schedules have been like, so other than this forum we have no clue who they have even been playing to only have 1 loss at this point. So, please share. What opponents have they played who expect to be ranked? What tournaments have they won? Who was their 1 loss to?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:03 pm

Calgary hoops,
The south is a hotbed for high school basketball and lots of fans, so lots of chatter about the teams.
With that being said we hear a few calgary posts that talk about how good the Calgary teams are but have not played too many tough teams.
Usually when it all boils down, there is a south team playing in the Provincial Final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:54 pm

RHS beats Cardston in Cardston 97-90
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Ok. So south should be
Raymond
Cardston
magrath
Lci
Cch
Med hat
the rest...

I'm impressed with magrath. They are much stronger than people expected. Still don't see anyone but Raymond and Cardston in the zone final, but looks like magrath has had close games against both teams recently so who knows. It's nice to have a season that's not so predictable here in the south. I thought Lci would show better against Raymond on Friday but after a 30 point blowout I'm just not sure they're good enough to beat a top team. Guess now we will see how south ranks against Calgary and Edmonton. I'm still waiting on some scores from the best Calgary teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:25 pm

I speak this as someone from Magrath but LCI should be ranked higher as they have better wins against Calgary and Edmonton teams
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Fair enough west wind bball. Just going off the head to head game which magrath won. Seems tough to place Lci ahead when magrath beat them especially with the play of Lci recently. Maybe both are just hm at this point anyways or close to ten.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Yeah well we layed an egg last night against CCH so overall I am just interested in how they do the rankings
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Also just remember LCI beat up at our home tournament so we are tied at one apiece
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:50 pm

Ahh I see. Well what do I know anyway. I've been wrong on my predictions all season. One reason this is a fun year for us fans to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:20 am

I don't know if rankings will be really representative of the south as the ASAA web site shows the following timeline:

"First Rankings
Wednesday, January 13, 2016
Rankers to review ExNet for game results for the first period and submit their regional top 10 and honourable mentions into the ranking system for viewing by other rankers; discussion among rankers to take place

Friday, January 15, 2016
Rankers to choose their provincial top 10 and honourable mentions from among the regional selections

Monday, January 18, 2016
Provincial top 10 and honourable mentions for all classifications are posted on the ASAA website"

A lot of the league games in the south occurred since Wednesday. It depends on the committee and if they rank early games in the season as heavily as the later ones.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:00 pm

1 Harry Ainlay Edmonton
2 Archbishop O'Leary Edmonton
3 Raymond South
4 Cardston South
5 Bishop O'Byrne Calgary
6 Lester B. Pearson Calgary
7 Lethbridge Collegiate Institute South
8 Ross Sheppard Edmonton
9 Jasper Place Edmonton
10 Bishop McNally Calgary
Honourable Mention Catholic Central South
Honourable Mention Foothills Composite South Central
Honourable Mention Holy Trinity (Edmonton) Edmonton
Honourable Mention Magrath South
Honourable Mention Notre Dame (Calgary) Calgary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Feels right only surprise in my mind was bob ahead of lbp since I thought lbp had a harder schedule just my two cents
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:46 pm

Ya seems pretty reasonable. I think there is lots of future potential for movement between 2-6 but I think all those teams deserve to be ranked in that range for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalgaryBaller2015

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:47 am

BOB seems high for sure, did they play anybody challenging other than BM? I don't think so but could be wrong. ND is a sleeper for sure. Suprised they are Honourable Mention and not Lacombe but maybe cause there will be too many Calgary teams is they both are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:33 am

I really thought there wasn't much love for Calgary in these rankings and that maybe reflects the fact they dont get seen by the members of the ranking committee. The heart of the schedule is coming up for Calgary and the BOB tournament will definitely show how they all compare. I thought LCI was a bit high and was shocked not to see Father Lacombe in the mix.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:43 am

Father Lacombe had a poor showing at REB in December. Maybe they haven't played anyone strong since that tourney. I am also surprised not to see them at least as an HM, but that's on them if they don't have strong competition. I think a team like CCH will fall lower as we see more calgary teams playing against south and edmonton teams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Today at 6:40 am

Back to top Go down

First Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next