HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

First Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:40 pm

I am surprised that sir Winston Churchill didn't get more love they considering what was talked about heading in to the season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Churchill is having a down year. Pearson beat Churchill by 32. Cardston beat Churchill by 1.  The part I don't get is why the south gets so much respect and Calgary gets almost none. Cardston is 10-3. In games outside of the south they have beaten Churchill and they beat Ernest Manning by 15 who lost to Western by 27. So we're saying Calgary doesn't deserve higher ranking because they haven't played anyone outside of Calgary and then we go and rank Cardston 4. Hypocrisy at its finest which is what the south does the best. Bring on some head to head games and we'll see who should be ranked where.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Calgary-hoops is absolutely right. No way Cardston and Raymond should be in front of LBP and BOB from Calgary. Top 10 are pretty good pick, order can vary obiviously. Well these are first rankings and by the time we have second rankings coming in about month time we won't have to guess. Spartan Showdown in Edmonton has teams representing all three zones of Alberta Basketball. It will help clarify rankings for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:47 pm

I'll bet half the people on this forum are Cardston parents or coaches with 3 or 4 different account to push the Cardston hype. They are way over ranked and it will be shown. One kid who can get 50 shots off a game, doesn't know what a pass is and is straight up is lazy on defence does not a team make. Headed downhill. One lucky win over the Comets when the shots weren't falling but so did Med Hat and they aren't even HM. I'd take Magrath over Cardston any day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:07 pm

@ thetruth2. Why don't you stop trying to stir the pot. You are by far the most biased poster on this site. Between you and treyfactor and southalum you are doing plenty of posting for Raymond. Much more than I see coming from anyone in Cardston.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:58 pm

calgary-hoops wrote:
Churchill is having a down year. Pearson beat Churchill by 32. Cardston beat Churchill by 1.  The part I don't get is why the south gets so much respect and Calgary gets almost none. Cardston is 10-3. In games outside of the south they have beaten Churchill and they beat Ernest Manning by 15 who lost to Western by 27. So we're saying Calgary doesn't deserve higher ranking because they haven't played anyone outside of Calgary and then we go and rank Cardston 4. Hypocrisy at its finest which is what the south does the best. Bring on some head to head games and we'll see who should be ranked where.

Like I said before, I think there is alot of room for movement between 2-6. I don't like to look too much at someone beating a team by only 15 rather than 25. There are many factors that can come into play in those scenarios. A win is a win. But, really at this point what's the difference between being ranked 4 and 6. If BOB or LBP wins against a ranked south team, than they move up in 2 weeks, if they don't they stay put. It's really not a big deal in my view. Each zone has one ranker, obviously it had to be more than just the south ranker that thought the south was stronger than calgary. If that weren't the case, than LBP and BOB would be higher. I imagine things will look different come March which is really when it matters anyways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:47 pm

We can say it will all work itself out and this ranking doesn't mean anything but if that were true why do it all? It does mean something otherwise no one would care. I agree that 15 vs 27 is not so different which means those 2 teams could be fairly even. Beating a team by 32 is a lot different than beating a team by 1. Its easy to say it doesn't matter when your team or your zone is receiving a higher rankings than they should. If its not the win/loss record or even quality wins the rankers go by, what is it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:51 pm

Not trying to say it doesn't matter, but I don't see slot of difference between 4 and 6. At least not most years. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a 5 or 6 team beat a 3 or 4 team in any given ranking period.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:51 pm

But I do agree 32 and 1 is a big difference. Although, Raymond beat LCI by just a few points at the LCI tourney and then by 30 later that week. Same teams, same players. So sometimes that's just the way it is. It is false to assume that simply because LBP beat SWC by 32, they would also beat Cardston by 32. LCI beat SWC by more than Cardston did as well. Bottom line as I see it is that we're talking about a team that isn't even on the HM list so in my opinion the results aren't as consequential.

Last edited by Ball456 on Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:26 pm

Just not enough cross-over games between regions. It truly looks like Edmonton deserves the top two spots but not by a wide margin. I like the top three South teams as Raymond, LCI and Cardston have shown they can compete in a year many said they would not. Calgary looks wide open as I don't think we have seen a true "top" team yet as there has not been many head to head games between the elite schools. The only decent matchup was between Notre Dame and McNally which ND won in overtime. BOB has to be considered #1 as they won the first major tournament and are undefeated in league.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBall

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:32 pm

Each ranker will rank the teams in their zone and that is the order they will be placed in the provincial rankings. Obviously Calgary had BOB as their top ranked team above LBP. Look at quality of schedule and comparisons where Cardston has played a number of strong teams. I agree that 32 and 1 is a big difference, but maybe the committee took into account the fact that the 1 was an early morning game the day after leading Ainlay for the majority of a game?? Anybody who has seen high school kids play know that anything can happen in a 9 am game. Or using your logic of the 32 and 1, Ainlay beat O'leary by 30 and raymond and Cardston and LCI were within 10 of Ainlay, so should they be ranked ahead of O'leary? That being said BOB is the top Calgary team, and they beat SWC by 12. The only other direct comparison would be BOB and Cardston playing Manning, and BOB won by 10 and Cardston by 15. Look at all of this and everyone can agree that it's close. Lots of games to be played after the exam break.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Cardston kid definitely is a great offensive player. However he is pretty much one dimensional. Looks very selfish on court. I won't say he does not play D, however he plays very soft D. I hope he recognizes as well otherwise he will be a misfit for any college program. I won't fault the player, it is coaches' job. If coaches instruct him to play the way he is playing they are not helping but hurting his chances to play post secondary. In comparison star players on LBP and BOB play hardest defence as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:35 pm

I think he plays very team oriented ball.  At times they go through droughts and he has to pick up the slack like any team.  A lot of players end up playing the whole game and have moments of not stellar defense so lets not be too hard on that.  Sometimes a player needs rest but can't get any except on the floor.
I really thought the rankings for Calgary would shake out a bit different; I thought Lester b would be 4 Cardston 5 and BOB 6.  I think rankings do have more bearing that people realize when it comes to how many berths for your zone at provincials and who you will be playing.  Last year was a perfect example as the LCI/ Ainley game was the provincial championship and it came down to the wire; but because of how the ranking committee did things they were on the same side of the draw and the semi final was one of the best games I have seen in years while the final wasn't quite.
The next few tournaments at BOB and Tri-prov should give us a good idea.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:57 pm

Yeah just looked at bob tournament and it should clear things up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:59 pm

I believe that Raymond, Cardston And BOB so far are around the same for 3rd reason being raymond seems to be a having a very strong year having had beat teams like LCI, cardston and Ross shep i think. Cardston was able to run with the number 1 team Ainly even tho it resulted to a 10 point loss and they are also 1- 1 with raymond. As for BOB the only game they have lost is 1 in vancouver to a local team which is pretty irrelevant if we are talking about teams in alberta because so far in calgary they are still undefeated and not many teams can say the same. They would've beat mcnally by 30 in the higher hoops tournament if it wasn't for Diew moses who led a run to finish the game within 12.

The BOB tournament is coming up soon so the tournament should really change up the rankings since 5 of the top 10 teams are participating
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm

BOB: Raymond Oleary final.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:23 pm

I have...
O'Byrne over STFX
Raymond over ND
Cardston over McNally {Best game of the day}
Oleary Over St Francis

O'Byrne over Raymond {Close one}
Oleary over Cardston

Oleary over O'Byrne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:34 pm

Aball's final prediction seems right call.
ND has the potential to beat Raymond but I still call 10 point game for Raymond.
I would pick McNally over Cardston by 7
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:03 pm

St Mary's tournament Jan 28-30
Interesting thing about this tournament a team from Germany participating. CWC has a chance to beat Jasper Place a 9th place ranked team and come back in the picture of provincial rankings.

Pearson over Western
Jasper Place over Churchill  (close one)
Foothills over Chestermere
St Mary's vs Team from Germany????

Pearson over Jasper Place
Winner of St Mary's Gemany game over Foothills.

Championship: Pearson (can be interesting if Gemany team has depth)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Ball501 wrote:
St Mary's tournament Jan 28-30
Interesting thing about this tournament a team from Germany participating. CWC has a chance to beat Jasper Place a 9th place ranked team and come back in the picture of provincial rankings.

Pearson over Western
Jasper Place over Churchill  (close one)
Foothills over Chestermere
St Mary's vs Team from Germany????

Pearson over Jasper Place
Winner of St Mary's Gemany game over Foothills.

Championship: Pearson (can be interesting if Gemany team has depth)
Do you have draw with games schedule?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Yes Northwest draw is online. Use the following link for draw and game schedule:

http://www.calgarybasketballclassic.ca/srboysdraw.php
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Ball501 wrote:
Yes Northwest draw is online. Use the following link for draw and game schedule:

http://www.calgarybasketballclassic.ca/srboysdraw.php

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:09 pm

This must be a new tournament. I've never heard of it before. Strong draw on the bottom.

St. Mary's over Germany
Chestermere over Foothills
Pearson over Western
Churchill over JP

Chestermere over Mary's
Pearson over Churchill

Pearson over Chestermere
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:53 pm

Aball wrote:
This must be a new tournament. I've never heard of it before. Strong draw on the bottom.

St. Mary's over Germany
Chestermere over Foothills
Pearson over Western
Churchill over JP

Chestermere over Mary's
Pearson over Churchill

Pearson over Chestermere
Aball, this is not a new tournament. I don't know for how many years it been running. Last year this tournament was won by Balfour Collegiate from Regina.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:35 pm

St Mary's Tournament First round results:

St Mary's over Germany team by 20+
Chestermere over Foothills in a low scoring thriller by 3
Jasper losing to Churchill by 15 mid way through 3rd.

Jasper place definitely over rated in first provincial rankings. Other than impressive Geoffrey on point they looked weaker than top 10 teams from Calgary. They won't even make HM in second rankings. Churchill still a one line team. They will be tested again tomorrow by Pearson.

Pearson over Western at Western by 7. Western played really strong in 2nd half were down by as much as 15 in first half and took a 3 point lead in 4th. Pearson did not look that sharp in second half. Simar Bajwa and Jimmy Simon won the game for Pearson. Simar scored close to 30 and Jimmy about 20+. About half of their points came in 4th. Simar dropped 3 kids in game. Simar without any doubt best ball handler in Alberta and played stong D

Last edited by Ball501 on Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Rankings   Today at 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down

First Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next