HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Baller22w

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:38 pm

There won't be really anyone to stand up to the large provinces big
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hawkfan

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:53 pm

Bigs that's all anyone worries about at nationals. Bigs didn't kill U17 at nationals not boxing out and the inability to play consistent defence and offence is what mattered. No big went of for 20 or 30 and most of the time NBs big was a 6 foot 4 guard. You can get all the stars you want if they don't play as a team it means SHIT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller420james

PostSubject: baller22w   Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:16 pm

You know is much as a telephone pole
Back to top Go down
View user profile
baller420james

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:18 pm

Especially baller22w
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Baller22w

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:19 pm

Fuck that's some rude I hope i don't get offended
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Somedude320

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:03 pm

I will go with my top 12 in no order, just my opinion not trying to start anything here.

1. Ryan Scott(KVHS) - Wing player who can handle the ball, shoot and defend multiple potions when locked in, plays with a swagger that rubs off on the kids on his team.

2.Emmanuel Octavious(BMHS) - Guard ,Best defender in New Brunswick, hustles at 150 % at all times. Improved a lot in last year.

3. Alex Dool(BMHS) - Guard/Wing , can defend multiple positions when locked in, great shooter as well keep defense's honest.

4.Dakota Ounwendyk(BMHS) - Big man , can rebound has some range, when pushed in the right direction hard to stop.

5.Sam Maillet(BMHS) - Guard , Best passer in New Brunswick, knows how to lead a team.

6. Reece Hasson(LHHS) - Guard - Might be small but plays as hard as anyone out there, bring a boost to the team in practice and games

7.Colton Steeves(Caledonia) - Wing - playing guard for his high school will help him, runs the floor well, rebound and hustles.

8.Andrew Lambert(SJHS) - Guard- can shoot, brings an edge to the game , can get hot very fast from deep.

9. Ken Daley ( KVHS) - Big - has size which NB lacks, can rebound.

10. Tim Kabre grade 8 Moncton Wing/Big - Best Rebounding for his age , can play inside and out quick enough to guard 3's.

11. Norman Burry grade 8 Woodstoct- Big - Old school big man, does the dirty work on boards to win games, hard to stop inside would help keeping big guys out of the post in Nationals.

12.Brett Drost(WHS) - Guard - Can defend , is fast in open floor ,

The last spot is really hard to pick but top 11 guys i would take in no order.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:18 pm

I don't know if I'm sold on Colton. He has played as a "big" for most of his bantam/mini years, which he certainly wouldn't be on this type of team. I don't think he has the guard skills or the shooting to be a standout with this group.

Seeing him play at the Red/Green tournament he was struggling to get things going against JV teams while playing kids his own age.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Not a problem list. I would have to take out lambert,daley and steeves. I would put in lucas tompkins(great shooter) keiran rioux(above average defender) and thomas kaye.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:29 pm

Powerball wrote:
Not a problem list. I would have to take out lambert,daley and steeves. I would put in lucas tompkins(great shooter) keiran rioux(above average defender) and thomas kaye.

I'd take out Rees too, as mentioned before he's too small to guard anyone at Nationals. If anyone watched Nationals 2 years ago with Minwoo Park playing as an underager, Minwoo was posted up nearly every possession.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Powerball

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:51 pm

U15

Alex Dool
Emmanual Octavious
Brett Drost
Ryan Scott
Sam Maillet
Lucas Tompkins
Keiran Rioux
Thomas Kaye
Tim Kabre
Norman Burry

This would be my top 10. The last 2 spots could be debated forever. This ten would be a nice collection of talent.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ballmax

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Do not see Jay Hwang, FHS there? Good defender, drives well. Nice little floater in his repertoire. Can go left or right equally well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsfanNB

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:47 pm

Interesting choices, but I think Tompkins, Kaye, Wang should all be included here. Difficult to include everyone, thanks for getting the conversation going in the right direction.

Somedude320 wrote:
I will go with my top 12 in no order, just my opinion not trying to start anything here.

1. Ryan Scott(KVHS) - Wing player who can handle the ball, shoot and defend multiple potions when locked in, plays with a swagger that rubs off on the kids on his team.

2.Emmanuel Octavious(BMHS) - Guard ,Best defender in New Brunswick, hustles at 150 % at all times. Improved a lot in last year.

3. Alex Dool(BMHS) - Guard/Wing , can defend multiple positions when locked in, great shooter as well keep defense's honest.

4.Dakota Ounwendyk(BMHS) - Big man , can rebound has some range, when pushed in the right direction hard to stop.

5.Sam Maillet(BMHS) - Guard , Best passer in New Brunswick, knows how to lead a team.

6. Reece Hasson(LHHS) - Guard - Might be small but plays as hard as anyone out there, bring a boost to the team in practice and games

7.Colton Steeves(Caledonia) - Wing - playing guard for his high school will help him, runs the floor well, rebound and hustles.

8.Andrew Lambert(SJHS) - Guard- can shoot, brings an edge to the game , can get hot very fast from deep.

10. Tim Kabre grade 8 Moncton Wing/Big - Best Rebounding for his age , can play inside and out quick enough to guard 3's.

11. Norman Burry grade 8 Woodstoct- Big - Old school big man, does the dirty work on boards to win games, hard to stop inside would help keeping big guys out of the post in Nationals.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spartacoq

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:50 pm

Coach.Red I happen to watch a few games that year at nationals. One specific game was when NB lost to Quebec in the quarters. Boy were they ever out coached that game. One thing I did notice is Min Woo matched up against the leading scoring in the tourney at the time. Now the streaming wasn't great that year but I do believe Min Woo held him without a field goal all game. So I disagree that he could not defend that year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:08 am

Spartacoq wrote:
Coach.Red I happen to watch a few games that year at nationals. One specific game was when NB lost to Quebec in the quarters. Boy were they ever out coached that game. One thing I did notice is Min Woo matched up against the leading scoring in the tourney at the time. Now the streaming wasn't great that year but I do believe Min Woo held him without a field goal all game. So I disagree that he could not defend that year.

I didn't say he couldn't defend, I just said because of his size he was posted up in grade 8. I think a grade 8 Min is bigger than grade 9 Rees.

No offense to Rees but Minwoo was the better player in grade 9 and you can't really make a comparison. Min is an elite defender and a smart ball and unselfish ball handler who gets the ball where it needs to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:37 am

I think the important part of the process to keep in mind is that (except for returning players from teams that play at Nationals), at the u15 level whether you've played JV or varsity A, AA, AAA while that gap is competition level and practice habits may be evident a tryouts and early on but relative to what Nationals is like they are all landing on the moon. So with good coaching and kids with the right work ethic over a summer where you come from can become less important than where you are going.

Keeping that as our reference you want the best team you can build for National competition, while adding the burden of making sure who you take and what you do won't peak out at u15 but translate to u17.

The most skilled or best x skills executers in a tryout setting vs NB players aren't always the ones who you can train to be able to make play/read X vs national level length or speed or defense. I've seen some of the very best finishers and scorers in NB who've had productive AUS careers end up having to change their game to be able to be a defender or passer because how they score and finish doesn't translate to that level.

On the flip side you don't want excessive redundancies. We often see teams where because the depth or competition for a particular job or a skill set is so needed that by the time you get to nationals and the pecking order is sorted out you've got 2-3 kids who are now out a job and can't really be used for anything else. OFten times at the end of tryouts you've got 4-5 kids who are going to compete for time at a job or series of jobs, but by summers end you've established the 3 who are going to do the heavy lifting in that area and now unless the other 2 can find another serviceable job they are left with little to do.

All the names on the list so far are legitimate candidates. Are their role players or potential sitting our there on MIddle school teams we don't often see or on Varsity teams/JV teams at the A or AA level that because their team isn't on par or playing these types of teams, doesn't mean they can't be that sort of player. ALways nice to see the surprises too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunburylarry

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:53 pm

Weber and Cook are great players. Weber was definitely the all star defensive player of the PBC at CNHS even though he got overlooked and still is. and Cook is intense in the true sense of the word. Hope they try out and are successful. Is McCarthy JCS in this mix as well? A great player too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:56 pm

sunburylarry wrote:
Weber and Cook are great players. Weber was definitely the all star defensive player of the PBC at CNHS even though he got overlooked and still is. and Cook is intense in the true sense of the word.  Hope they try out and are successful. Is McCarthy JCS in this mix as well? A great player too.

He could be. IF you're going to bring up McCarthy then you need to talk about Hemphill in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sunburylarry

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:33 pm

Yes him too. Also to all the other great players in NB who will never be heard about Go NB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:37 pm

Somedude320 wrote:

Ryan Scott is a good ball player but he isn't a team player, he likes to do it all by himself.

Sam Maillet has a terrible attitude and thinks he is in charge unless his dad is coaching.

Dakota has anger issues and is not as dominant now that the players are getting older.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Somedude320

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:00 pm

You do remember we are talking about kids who are 14 years old right CanBBallDad ? they are not all perfect , can they be coached in the right way under the right coaching, yes. you cant decide at 14 that because of things like attitude and not being a team player they can never change. have you coached these kids?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:13 pm

Somedude320 wrote:
You do remember we are talking about kids who are 14 years old right CanBBallDad ? they are not all perfect , can they be coached in the right way under the right coaching, yes. you cant decide at 14 that because of things like attitude and not being a team player they can never change. have you coached these kids?

Have I coached these kids, no. Have I coached teams that have played against these kids, yes. In one case it was multiple sports.

Yes I know they are 14 but we are talking about a team that will be selected in about 3 months; are they going to change in that period of time, I doubt it. Could they change in the long term, maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Coach.Red

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:47 pm

CaBBallDad wrote:
Somedude320 wrote:

Have I coached these kids, no.  Have I coached teams that have played against these kids, yes.   In one case it was multiple sports.

Yes I know they are 14 but we are talking about a team that will be selected in about 3 months; are they going to change in that period of time, I doubt it.  Could they change in the long term, maybe.

Have you ever seen a player grab the clipboard from a coach in a time out and "over rule" what the coach was drawing up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pistol

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Coach.Red wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
Somedude320 wrote:

Have I coached these kids, no.  Have I coached teams that have played against these kids, yes.   In one case it was multiple sports.

Yes I know they are 14 but we are talking about a team that will be selected in about 3 months; are they going to change in that period of time, I doubt it.  Could they change in the long term, maybe.

Have you ever seen a player grab the clipboard from a coach in a time out and "over rule" what the coach was drawing up?

That speaks WAY more to the coach than the player.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:06 pm

Coach.Red wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
Somedude320 wrote:

I've never seen that but I'm fairly certain that similar things were happening at the South-Eastern high school this year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaBBallDad

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:07 pm

pistol wrote:
Coach.Red wrote:
CaBBallDad wrote:
Somedude320 wrote:

That speaks WAY more to the coach than the player.

If the other players listen to the player and the coach let him get away with it, it certainly does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys   Today at 6:08 pm

Back to top Go down

Basketball NB u15 & u17 boys
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next