HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Defense vs Offence

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RockNation



Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-02-10

PostSubject: Defense vs Offence   Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm

I am an old school coach, player, fan, parent and love Basketball. I am a true believer in Defense wins ball games not offence. Every team I ever played on either Hockey, Football, Basketball, Soccer, it didn't matter what level we always won because of defence. I watch college teams, Nba teams, high school teams and teams that can play defense usually win. So why is there not more focus on defensive minded players. I mean growing up I could play incredible Defense, offense was OK but I was always a starter and played almost the whole game each and every night. Why because I could defend and we won. So when I see so much focus on offence I wonder why. I wonder why all the offensive minded players get all the accolades. The province, The Sun always have write ups on top players scoring and scoring but can they play defense. So if a player is going off all season averages 32 points a game. Then comes up against an incredible defender and gets 15 pts but loses the game why? Because he came up against a great defender. They still talk about the guy who got 15pts but not the team that won and why? I believe that's why Jordan was the best ever cause he could score and defend hence his 6 Championships. My passion is defense and will continue to preach this message. How do you think OJ got off, good defence. Let the debate begin. Not many kids in high school that can do both. I'd take a kid that can defend over a kid that can score. Quote from Steve Fisher D1 San Diego State says freshman coming in say "coach I score" hoping that will get them minutes, his response "you won't play until you can defend" love it. To all the defenders out there keep up the great work. You will get noticed by top coaches. Maybe just not by the journalist's of the province and Sun.


Last edited by RockNation on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:24 am

Defense wins championships is one of the worst sports cliches ever devised.

Good defense AND good offense wins. You need a mix of both to have a good team, it doesn't have to be some ultimatum of one or the other. Typically it's easier to get a kid to play good defense as it's mostly effort and awareness. This is why a kid that has the coordination and natural talents to be able to score is more valuable to me.

but to each his own. seems like this is more a gripe against sports writers than anything
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:07 am

hard2thehole wrote:
Defense wins championships is one of the worst sports cliches ever devised.  


WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Offense takes the day off.
Defense never does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:06 am

Sportvictoria wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
Defense wins championships is one of the worst sports cliches ever devised.  


WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Offense takes the day off.
Defense never does.

Rolling Eyes

Using one lame cliche to defend another. i can assure you that your platitudes don't always hold true on the court
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:35 am

hard2thehole wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
Defense wins championships is one of the worst sports cliches ever devised.  


WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

Offense takes the day off.
Defense never does.

Rolling Eyes

Using one lame cliche to defend another.  i can assure you that your platitudes don't always hold true on the court

It is the truth. Deal with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:13 pm

At least this is getting you to discuss basketball more and not advertising your site

someone get Jauquin bennett boire and riley braich on the horn and tell them that the roleplayers on their team were more important to Yale's ring because they focused on defense Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ReppinDoubleA



Posts : 4
Join date : 2015-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:49 pm

hard2thehole wrote:
At least this is getting you to discuss basketball more and not advertising your site

someone get Jauquin bennett boire and riley braich on the horn and tell them that the roleplayers on their team were more important to Yale's ring because they focused on defense Laughing


His site does lots to promote basketball in bc as well as the only constant ranking and tournament info done in the province.
Not really advertising anything

And if you look at game stats and watched the tournament I would say Yale's Defense did help them win the championship since they held Fox to their tournament low in scoring (not by having their best offensive outing). And for TF to get to the finals had to hold Kelowna and oak bay way under their season average in scoring as well.

I think that individually good offense can beat good defense almost any day. But as a team you can't have the mentality that we are just gonna out score them and not worry about D.  Usually good D leads to easy O.

Look at the greats and almost all of them are 1st team all defensive
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:59 pm

ReppinDoubleA wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
At least this is getting you to discuss basketball more and not advertising your site

someone get Jauquin bennett boire and riley braich on the horn and tell them that the roleplayers on their team were more important to Yale's ring because they focused on defense Laughing


His site does lots to promote basketball in bc as well as the only constant ranking and tournament info done in the province.
Not really advertising anything

And if you look at game stats and watched the tournament I would say Yale's Defense did help them win the championship since they held Fox to their tournament low in scoring (not by having their best offensive outing). And for TF to get to the finals had to hold Kelowna and oak bay way under their season average in scoring as well.

I think that individually good offense can beat good defense almost any day. But as a team you can't have the mentality that we are just gonna out score them and not worry about D.  Usually good D leads to easy O.

Look at the greats and almost all of them are 1st team all defensive


Look at the 90's with the Bulls in the high scoring NBA... until they could actually stop people from scoring they did not start winning titles. The San Antonio Spurs... how many titles? How low was their defensive PPG?

As for Fox over Oak Bay last year - Fox held the high powered Oak Bay offense to a season low in that win.

Remember Loyola Marymount with their offense of shoot 100 times, offensive rebound 50 - they won a lot of games by some big margins... and no championships. They got beat by teams that could play better defense.

Duke won the NCAA tournament last year... giving up 56, 49, 57, 52 (Zags), 61 (Spartans), 63 (Badgers).

People will talk about a team's great transition offense... the term "transition" in basketball starts with a defensive stop - FIRST.
If you score right after you are scored on you are just trading buckets and getting no further ahead.

Crow is best served cold.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
RockNation



Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:12 pm

Watching the tournament last year it was definitely key that defense won alot of games for teams. Fox did an incredible job on Riley, they just had no answer for JBB. He played incredible, but he also played incredible on defense along with his whole team. If JBB and Riley just scored and were not exceptional on defense they would not have one. And they whole team played outstanding and knew there roles. They kept Fox to a low score by defense and they had no answer for JBB as there best defender was trying up Riley. If Fox had two incredible defenders which is rare on any team. Fox would have one. They picked to stop Riley and they did but no answer for JBB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation



Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:52 pm

Sportvictoria also does a great job promoting Basketball in this province. All the tournaments, Provincials, rankings. Great job. Keep up the great site.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:11 am

Sportvictoria wrote:
ReppinDoubleA wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
At least this is getting you to discuss basketball more and not advertising your site

someone get Jauquin bennett boire and riley braich on the horn and tell them that the roleplayers on their team were more important to Yale's ring because they focused on defense Laughing


His site does lots to promote basketball in bc as well as the only constant ranking and tournament info done in the province.
Not really advertising anything

And if you look at game stats and watched the tournament I would say Yale's Defense did help them win the championship since they held Fox to their tournament low in scoring (not by having their best offensive outing). And for TF to get to the finals had to hold Kelowna and oak bay way under their season average in scoring as well.

I think that individually good offense can beat good defense almost any day. But as a team you can't have the mentality that we are just gonna out score them and not worry about D.  Usually good D leads to easy O.

Look at the greats and almost all of them are 1st team all defensive


Look at the 90's with the Bulls in the high scoring NBA... until they could actually stop people from scoring they did not start winning titles.  The San Antonio Spurs... how many titles?  How low was their defensive PPG?

As for Fox over Oak Bay last year - Fox held the high powered Oak Bay offense to a season low in that win.

Remember Loyola Marymount with their offense of shoot 100 times, offensive rebound 50 - they won a lot of games by some big margins... and no championships.  They got beat by teams that could play better defense.

Duke won the NCAA tournament last year... giving up 56, 49, 57, 52 (Zags), 61 (Spartans), 63 (Badgers).

People will talk about a team's great transition offense... the term "transition" in basketball starts with a defensive stop - FIRST.
If you score right after you are scored on you are just trading buckets and getting no further ahead.

Crow is best served cold.

You're putting words in my mouth.  Since when does saying you need good defense AND good offense to win (which is exactly what I said in my first post!!), equate to anything you're arguing in the above pile of nonsense?  You're using Loyola Marymount as an argument when I specifically said both ends of the court are equally important?  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

If anything, your post is confirming my argument.  Yes, the Spurs and Bulls played great team and individual defense.  But stop me if I'm wrong here, they ALSO had a handful all-time greats on offense.  Having that cornerstone player on offense is ALWAYS ALWAYS the more important piece to have than the roleplaying defenders and rebounders (who you ALSO need).  

The entire point of Philadelphias epic tank job is to find this elusive cornerstone player, that generational talent that can carry their franchise for the next decade and beyond.  Otherwise, why don't they just end the tank now since they already have Nerlens Noel who is a great defensive player? Let's play a game.  One of these is not like the other..  Jimmy Butler, Kawhi Leonard, Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Paul George.  They all play great defense, in fact, MKG is probably the best defender out of the group.  Yet he would be the last picked out of these four EVERY SINGLE TIME (by a competent GM that is).

The Bulls didn't start winning titles until they got a better supporting cast around MJ..  period.  Now let's go over the decade's title teams and let's see if they won it all by relying on this out-dated pre-historic "defense wins championships" slogan or the basketball world has progressed and evolved enough to know that it is impossible to win without being well-balanced on both ends

Before we begin, OFF RTG = points for per 100 possessions, and DEF RTG = points against per 100 possessions (accounts for faster pace)

NBA CHAMPIONS
2015 - Warriors: 111.6 OFF RTG (2ND IN NBA) 101.4 (1ST IN NBA)
2014- Spurs: 110.5 OFF RTG (7TH IN NBA) 102.4 (3RD IN NBA)
2013- Heat: 112.3 (2ND IN NBA) 103.7 (9TH IN NBA)
2012- Heat: 106.6 (8TH IN NBA) 100.2 (4TH IN NBA)
2011- Mavs: 109.7 (8TH IN NBA) 105 (8TH IN NBA)
2010- Lakers: 108.8 (11TH IN NBA) 103.7 (4TH IN NBA)
2009- Lakers: 112.8 (3RD IN NBA) 104.7 (6th IN NBA)
2008- Celtics: 110.2 (10TH IN NBA) 98.9 (1ST IN NBA)
2007- Spurs: 109.2 (5TH IN NBA) 99.9 (2ND IN NBA)
2006- Heat: 108.7 (7TH IN NBA) 104.5 (9TH IN NBA)

Now let's have a look at 2016 and the 3 contenders..

Warriors 114.5 (1ST IN NBA) 102 (3RD IN NBA)
Spurs 110.4 (3RD IN NBA) 96 (1ST IN NBA)
Cavs 108 (6TH IN NBA) 102.4 (5TH IN NBA)

Now lets have a look at teams that play good defense and are not great on offense and therefore NOT contenders

Celtics 105.3 (14TH IN NBA) 101.3 (2ND IN NBA)
Pacers 104.5 (19TH IN NBA) 102 (4TH IN NBA)
Heat 102.8 (27TH IN NBA) 103.1 (7TH IN NBA)

-------------

OH MY GOD, would you look at that, the best teams are great on both ends of the floor!!!  Like I was saying.  This moronic "defense wins championship" belongs with the dinosaurs..  should've been wiped out long ago.  Let's modify it to "great players win championships" shall we?  We're taught when we're young that the object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop and stop the other guy from putting it in your hoop.  We would be doing the next generation of kids a disservice by ONLY focusing on one side of the ball, and this goes for coaches that are offense only.

It's 2016, let's PLEASE put this silly myth to bed once and for all.

and Lyle... the door is that way ----------------------------------->

Have a good one Laughing


Last edited by hard2thehole on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:16 am

RockNation wrote:
Watching the tournament last year it was definitely key that defense won alot of games for teams. Fox did an incredible job on Riley, they just had no answer for JBB. He played incredible, but he also played incredible on defense along with his whole team. If JBB and Riley just scored and were not exceptional on defense they would not have one. And they whole team played outstanding and knew there roles. They kept Fox to a low score by defense and they had no answer for JBB as there best defender was trying up Riley. If Fox had two incredible defenders which is rare on any team. Fox would have one. They picked to stop Riley and they did but no answer for JBB.

It is extremely hard to stop a great offensive player with any single defender, unless the refs aren't doing their jobs. It takes all 5 on the floor playing great team defense.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:44 am

hard2thehole wrote:
RockNation wrote:
Watching the tournament last year it was definitely key that defense won alot of games for teams. Fox did an incredible job on Riley, they just had no answer for JBB. He played incredible, but he also played incredible on defense along with his whole team. If JBB and Riley just scored and were not exceptional on defense they would not have one. And they whole team played outstanding and knew there roles. They kept Fox to a low score by defense and they had no answer for JBB as there best defender was trying up Riley. If Fox had two incredible defenders which is rare on any team. Fox would have one. They picked to stop Riley and they did but no answer for JBB.

It is extremely hard to stop a great offensive player with any single defender, unless the refs aren't doing their jobs.  It takes all 5 on the floor playing great team defense.



I think you're wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:07 pm

hard2thehole wrote:

OH MY GOD, would you look at that, the best teams are great on both ends of the floor!!!  Like I was saying.  This moronic "defense wins championship" belongs with the dinosaurs..  should've been wiped out long ago.  Let's modify it to "great players win championships" shall we?  We're taught when we're young that the object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop and stop the other guy from putting it in your hoop.  We would be doing the next generation of kids a disservice by ONLY focusing on one side of the ball, and this goes for coaches that are offense only.  

It's 2016, let's PLEASE put this silly myth to bed once and for all.

and Lyle... the door is that way ----------------------------------->

Have a good one Laughing


If you are talking about cliches that need to be put out with the dinosaurs then it is 'great players win championships' to the front of the line. 'Great TEAMS win championships', healthy teams with good players win championships.

Dress it up as much as you'd like but you're still out to lunch on this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:15 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:

OH MY GOD, would you look at that, the best teams are great on both ends of the floor!!!  Like I was saying.  This moronic "defense wins championship" belongs with the dinosaurs..  should've been wiped out long ago.  Let's modify it to "great players win championships" shall we?  We're taught when we're young that the object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop and stop the other guy from putting it in your hoop.  We would be doing the next generation of kids a disservice by ONLY focusing on one side of the ball, and this goes for coaches that are offense only.  

It's 2016, let's PLEASE put this silly myth to bed once and for all.

and Lyle... the door is that way ----------------------------------->

Have a good one Laughing


If you are talking about cliches that need to be put out with the dinosaurs then it is 'great players win championships' to the front of the line.  'Great TEAMS win championships', healthy teams with good players win championships.

Dress it up as much as you'd like but you're still out to lunch on this one.

Dress what up? Pure facts and numbers that you can't even respond to so you completely delete them from my post and don't respond to them? Laughing

Fact: You don' t have a great team without a great player or multiple great players.

Fact: You can have all the hard working defenders you want, but if they can't put the ball in the hoop, good luck. The opposite is true as well.

Fact: Defense is easier to teach than offense.

Fact: You do not have a great team without great defense AND great offense. Over emphasizing one aspect to the detriment of the other will lead you to mediocrity. Ask the Memphis Grizzlies about that one.

Fact: The game has changed from what you grew up with. Get with it or get left behind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
RockNation wrote:
Watching the tournament last year it was definitely key that defense won alot of games for teams. Fox did an incredible job on Riley, they just had no answer for JBB. He played incredible, but he also played incredible on defense along with his whole team. If JBB and Riley just scored and were not exceptional on defense they would not have one. And they whole team played outstanding and knew there roles. They kept Fox to a low score by defense and they had no answer for JBB as there best defender was trying up Riley. If Fox had two incredible defenders which is rare on any team. Fox would have one. They picked to stop Riley and they did but no answer for JBB.

It is extremely hard to stop a great offensive player with any single defender, unless the refs aren't doing their jobs.  It takes all 5 on the floor playing great team defense.



I think you're wrong.

Nice! Excellent post with numerous facts to back your statement up!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:19 pm

hard2thehole wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:

OH MY GOD, would you look at that, the best teams are great on both ends of the floor!!!  Like I was saying.  This moronic "defense wins championship" belongs with the dinosaurs..  should've been wiped out long ago.  Let's modify it to "great players win championships" shall we?  We're taught when we're young that the object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop and stop the other guy from putting it in your hoop.  We would be doing the next generation of kids a disservice by ONLY focusing on one side of the ball, and this goes for coaches that are offense only.  

It's 2016, let's PLEASE put this silly myth to bed once and for all.

and Lyle... the door is that way ----------------------------------->

Have a good one Laughing


If you are talking about cliches that need to be put out with the dinosaurs then it is 'great players win championships' to the front of the line.  'Great TEAMS win championships', healthy teams with good players win championships.

Dress it up as much as you'd like but you're still out to lunch on this one.

Dress what up?  Pure facts and numbers that you can't even respond to so you completely delete them from my post and don't respond to them?  Laughing

Fact: You don' t have a great team without a great player or multiple great players.  

Fact: You can have all the hard working defenders you want, but if they can't put the ball in the hoop, good luck.  The opposite is true as well.

Fact: Defense is easier to teach than offense.

Fact: You do not have a great team without great defense AND great offense.  Over emphasizing one aspect to the detriment of the other will lead you to mediocrity.  Ask the Memphis Grizzlies about that one.

Fact: The game has changed from what you grew up with.  Get with it or get left behind.

You've obviously never really coached.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
Sportvictoria wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:

OH MY GOD, would you look at that, the best teams are great on both ends of the floor!!!  Like I was saying.  This moronic "defense wins championship" belongs with the dinosaurs..  should've been wiped out long ago.  Let's modify it to "great players win championships" shall we?  We're taught when we're young that the object of the game is to put the ball in the hoop and stop the other guy from putting it in your hoop.  We would be doing the next generation of kids a disservice by ONLY focusing on one side of the ball, and this goes for coaches that are offense only.  

It's 2016, let's PLEASE put this silly myth to bed once and for all.

and Lyle... the door is that way ----------------------------------->

Have a good one Laughing


If you are talking about cliches that need to be put out with the dinosaurs then it is 'great players win championships' to the front of the line.  'Great TEAMS win championships', healthy teams with good players win championships.

Dress it up as much as you'd like but you're still out to lunch on this one.

Dress what up?  Pure facts and numbers that you can't even respond to so you completely delete them from my post and don't respond to them?  Laughing

Fact: You don' t have a great team without a great player or multiple great players.  

Fact: You can have all the hard working defenders you want, but if they can't put the ball in the hoop, good luck.  The opposite is true as well.

Fact: Defense is easier to teach than offense.

Fact: You do not have a great team without great defense AND great offense.  Over emphasizing one aspect to the detriment of the other will lead you to mediocrity.  Ask the Memphis Grizzlies about that one.

Fact: The game has changed from what you grew up with.  Get with it or get left behind.

You've obviously never really coached.

Laughing

I have a provincial championship to my name, sir. Been coaching for 7 years now with club teams and high schools. You don't need to question my credentials, especially when it seems like you have zero answers for any of my points other than attacking me personally.

When's the last time you coached? Was it in the 21st century? Had the 3 pt line been implemented yet? All pressing questions that need to be answered.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sportvictoria



Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-11-28
Age : 47
Location : Victoria BC Canada

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:30 pm

hard2thehole wrote:
When's the last time you coached?  Was it in the 21st century?  Had the 3 pt line been implemented yet?  All pressing questions that need to be answered.  


Your ignorance is coming through with each successive post. I'm done with you and your personal attacks - and they started with you attacking the efforts of my site.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://Sportvictoria.com
hard2thehole



Posts : 72
Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Sportvictoria wrote:
hard2thehole wrote:
When's the last time you coached?  Was it in the 21st century?  Had the 3 pt line been implemented yet?  All pressing questions that need to be answered.  


Your ignorance is coming through with each successive post.  I'm done with you and your personal attacks - and they started with you attacking the efforts of my site.

No, it started with your condescending "WRONG WRONG WRONG" and "Deal with it" and "Crow is best served cold" in your first three posts when I was trying to have a normal basketball discussion. When confronted with facts, you choose the coward's way out and don't even address the actual basketball points.

Now, you get hoisted on your own petard, and you're taking your ball and going home. To quote the best television show of all time: "You want it to be one way.. But it's the other way".

Don't let the door hit you bud.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
ebe



Posts : 497
Join date : 2009-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:13 pm

I find one error that I believe many people make when talking about how good a team may be defensively is simply pointing to the amount of points a team allows. Point per game average is actually not a very good stat to figure out how well teams defend. All the score of a game will basically tell you is what pace the game was played at. You can win a game 95 to 90 and played great defense and you can win a game 65 to 60 and have played poor defense. I have had some great defensive teams that gave up what most would consider lots of points but part of the defensive philosophy was about pressure and forcing a higher tempo so naturally the scores of the game would be higher. A much better way to gage a teams defensive ability is by looking at opponents shooting percentages, and defensive rebounding percentage, opponents second chance point success, and transition defense success rate.  While it is true you must defend extremely well to win championships you also can not win unless you have some skill with regard to putting the ball in the hoop. With shot clocks & three-point lines you can not simply run a "four corner stall" anymore so you better be able to score. I also firmly believe that if you get your team to run the floor hard and share the ball that they tend to be more motivated to play hard at the defensive end knowing that they will also get the opportunity to score at the other end.


Last edited by ebe on Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mark Scott



Posts : 286
Join date : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:19 pm

ebe wrote:
I find one error that I believe many people make when talking about how good a team may be defensively is simply pointing to the amount of points a team allows. Point per game average is actually not a very good stat to figure out how well teams defend. All the score of a game will basically tell you is what pace the game was played at. You can win a game 95 to 90 and played great defense and you can win a game 65 to 60 and have played poor defense. I have had some great defensive teams that gave up what most would consider lots of points but part of the defensive philosophy was about pressure and forcing a higher tempo so naturally the scores of the game would be higher. A much better way to gage a teams defensive ability is by looking at opponents shooting percentages, and defensive rebounding percentage, opponents second chance point success, and transition defense success rate.  While it is true you must defend extremely well to win championships you also can not win unless you have some skill with regard to putting the ball in the hoop. With shot clocks & three-point lines you can not simply run a "four corner stall" anymore so you better be able to score. I also firmly believe that if you get your team to run the floor hard and share the ball that they tend top be more motivated to play hard at the defensive end knowing that they will also get the opportunity to score at the other end.

Need a like button for this post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation



Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:29 am

No need to get nasty out there people, I was just trying to spark good conversation. Obviously this has hit a cord with people I am glad. I really like what ebe wrote that makes sense. Sharing the ball creates more buy in defensively and everyone works harder. I have seen alot of teams with 1 or 2 scorers and that is it. It can work as Yale did it but I don't think it's the norm. Yale won because everyone bought into the coaches system that JBB and Riley score everyone else do your job rebounding and play defense as a team. It was incredible to see the buyin from the whole team. Incredible coaching. I do give alot of credit to JBB as he put the team on his back, but for someone to get 46pts and 12rb in a championship game, you have to question Fox and their ability to defend in all aspects of defensive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RockNation



Posts : 54
Join date : 2014-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:38 pm

Not sure if anyone on this topic is at the BC's this year but do you recognize anything that is happening. Hmmm defenses have step up and scores are much lower. You know why because you can't win without a great defense. I know all coaches spent so much time on defense in practices over the past few weeks. Sure you can get thru the regular season without good defense but not at the BC's. Do you think Panorama won on offense. Do you think Kits almost be SWC in LM tourney by offence no it was defence. What about Yale vs Oak Bay if Oak Bay does not step up there defence they dont win against yale and move on. Its a huge common factor. If you have players that can guard the ball extremely well the chances of winning in big games are huge. It is so evident when it comes to big games defense has to be there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RonTheMan



Posts : 23
Join date : 2015-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:46 pm

Yes, noticed great defence at yesterday's 3AAA game. #14- Abbotsford on the 6'10 guy from Charles Hayes.
Close game
Upset game
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Defense vs Offence   Today at 1:05 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Defense vs Offence
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Defense laser question.
» Rune Cannon Planetary Defense Weapon: WIP
» Explosive Defense Mechanism
» Infinite Defense
» Wasteland Defense/RTS thread

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HoopLife Forums :: High School :: British Columbia :: BC Seniors-
Jump to: