HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Second rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:55 pm

No cardston beat swc at sugar bowl close but they won
Back to top Go down
View user profile
WBall

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:58 pm

My mistake, Cardston did beat SWC by 1. All I am saying is that you guys think Calgary is having such a dominant year that they should have 4 of the top 5 spots. I agree that Calgary has some good teams, but according to the games I listed, if I am not missing anything, those three top south teams are 9 and 2 in games against the 7 teams Calgary-hoops listed as possible top 10 teams. Of those 2 wins Calgary has, they are by 1 and 6 points.

I like the debate, but rather than you guys just saying "we're the best" and "Calgary should be #2-5" and stuff like that, I'm just throwing in some facts and stats to see if you had information or were aware of games that I wasn't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:20 pm

I don't think there is any way Raymond isn't #2. Calgary may have a couple teams in the top 5. BOB seems to be the top in Calgary. Notre Dame is rising and they might go top 5. Pearson seems to be dropping. Father Lacombe, SWC and Western seems like they also might be in the neighborhood but remember that LCI just beat Western by 20 in their tournament final and SWC lost a couple of games on the weekend and seem to be on the decline. The south isn't as weak as some people on this forum would have us believe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:44 pm

ND beat Pearson by 15.
Excellent 3 Point shooting from #3 and #2 and bad experiments from Pearson coaching made it look easier. Key players who been winning games for Pearson sat out most of 4th. Inside Pearson #13 and #22 got badly outplayed by #11 from ND. Pearson #4 and #10 forced too many bad shots.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:47 pm

Back in November no one gave any chance to ND to be a contender even for City Championship. Knowing team quite well I called it most underrated team in Calgary. Now they are without any doubt best team in Calgary. I am very happy to see them succeed. Good luck ND rest of season and keep winning.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:35 am

Ball501 wrote:
Back in November no one gave any chance to ND to be a contender even for City Championship. Knowing team quite well I called it most underrated team in Calgary. Now they are without any doubt best team in Calgary. I am very happy to see them succeed. Good luck ND rest of season and keep winning.....

And how the best team in Calgary lost to NR teams SWC and Lacombe. There is no best team in Calgary. In Calgary very good competition between 7-8 teams. BM, ND, LBP, SWC, BOB, WC, Lacombe and EM or SM. ND has two losses. They are not the best they are one of the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:00 pm

NorthWest wrote:
Ball501 wrote:

And how the best team in Calgary lost to NR teams SWC and Lacombe.  There is no best team in Calgary. In Calgary very good competition between 7-8 teams. BM, ND, LBP, SWC, BOB, WC, Lacombe and EM or SM. ND has two losses. They are not the best they are one of the best.

Northwest I clearly wrote NOW....in last comments.
In two weeks another Calgary team can take their spot. But for NOW.. ND is best team in Calgary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Ball501 wrote:
NorthWest wrote:
Ball501 wrote:

And how the best team in Calgary lost to NR teams SWC and Lacombe.  There is no best team in Calgary. In Calgary very good competition between 7-8 teams. BM, ND, LBP, SWC, BOB, WC, Lacombe and EM or SM. ND has two losses. They are not the best they are one of the best.

Northwest I clearly wrote NOW....in last comments.

In two weeks another Calgary team can take their spot. But for NOW.. ND is best team in Calgary.

Yea, you are probably rigth it's best team in Calgary for Tuesday, February 9th (because they beat your other favorite team Very Happy). But we are discussing in this topic ranking period. By the way I personally did not have any thing against this team and they are really good but I repeat for you again they are one of the best and not THE BEST NOW. Calgary does not have superior team like Edmonton HA. If you check my post in previous AAAA Boys topic before this season started I mention about them and ranked them 5th in Calgary. In that time I did not know that SF lost key player. This team (ND) depends on two boys (Aaron#2 and David#3) if they are hot, team in good path to win. They have good size and skilled post but mostly it is these two boys. Like you I wish them good luck and follow the way to be HA in Calgary but I really did not see it because Calgary as I mention has 6-8 very solid teams who can beat them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:30 pm

Oleary is in a real funk lost to HTA on Monday
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:33 pm

westwind Bball wrote:
Oleary is in a real funk lost to HTA on Monday

..except that they just smashed Ainlay tonight.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:33 pm

What thanks for the update didn't see that coming
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:00 pm

anyone know the score??????!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:20 pm

TheTruthofTheSouth wrote:
anyone know the score??????!

50-66 (HA-OL)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:37 pm

damn eh what happened anyone at the game?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alberta Bball

PostSubject: Tri Prov 1st Round   Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:02 am

Tri Prov first round

Oak Park 67 Ross Shep 62
Raymond 100 Jasper Place 97 in OT
Ainlay 116 Legacy Christian 76
Lillian Osborne 83 St James 70
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:22 am

treyfactor wrote:
Who do you put ahead of Raymond then Truthofthesouth?  BOB lost two big games this week; Raymond beat ND and Mcnally twice... LCI beat SWC and LCI hasnt beat Raymond?  Its a tough choice but after TRI-Prov this weekend; things could shake out a little more.  
If Westwind had his way Med HAT would be up there.....

Med Hat just beat LCI. So now they have beaten Raymond and LCI. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:15 am

You mean at home with the closer 3 or line; loose rims and homer refs ... How they doing on the road?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:49 am

treyfactor wrote:
You mean at home with the closer 3 or line; loose rims and homer refs ... How they doing on the road?

Too funny treyfactor, I always take the med hat wins in med hat with a grain of salt as well. It is a different place to play to be sure. However, CCH beat med hat in med hat this season, so LCI and Raymond should have been able to as well. I saw on southhoops that the LCI starting guard was held pointless. Maybe he's hurt? LCI beat them by 20 last time around. But LCI has proven to be quite inconsistent this season so who knows. But ya their road wins came against chinook and churchill and that's just not much to speak of this year. But I do think med hat is probably underestimated. They are always well coached and have had decent players moving through their teams the last couple of years so it's really not that surprising that they can pull of what may be considered an upset here and there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: second ranking   Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:24 am

The second ranking will be tough with some parody all around. ND should move into a top ten spot in my opinion but no other HM team should be moving up. Maybe Pearson should move down to HM. not sure what to say about SWC. Someone was saying how good they are but with another loss to LCI and a loss to chestermere maybe best case for them is HM right now. What has Ross Shep done to stay in top ten? I see they won the 7th place game at Tri Prov. That's pretty good I suppose...maybe they should drop. I think unfortunately for the south all south teams will move down a bit. Cardston lost to Mcnally and then had an OT win over ND. Raymond also OT win over ND but then lost to BOB. LCI won a weaker western tournament and then comes out tonight and loses to unranked Med Hat. Honestly I don't get LCI at 7 anyway. As far as I know they have only beat two teams that are ranked in CCH and Foothills both of which are HM. Correct me if I'm wrong. They are a 10 at best in my opinion. Jasper Place wins tri prov consolation after a close loss to Raymond in the first round. Cardston got bronze at Luther. Hard to tell what competition it was but I'd imagine it was a decently tough tourney as per the norm. pretty tough to drop Ainlay after 1 loss to Oleary when Oleary lost to BOB the week before who then went on to lose to unranked Manning. But, I suppose that could also be an argument for Ainlay to drop. They lost to a team that lost to a team that lost to Manning. Haha I don't know it's a mess. But I'll take a stab and say something like this.

1. Ainlay (still the most consistently dominant team in my opinion)
2. BOB
3. O leary
4. Raymond
5. Mcnally
6. Cardston
7. Notre Dame
8. Jasper Place
9. Ross Shep
10. LCI

I put BOB ahead of O leary because of the head to head. I know that argument doesn't hold water, since O leary went and beat Ainlay. But, if I'm considering all that I know I'd still be betting on Ainlay although I think they're more beatable this year than the past two. BOB's loss is something to consider, but I think wins against Raymond and O leary carry more weight than one bad loss. If they had beaten Raymond and then come out and got stomped by Oleary and then added the loss to Manning I'd call the Raymond win a one off and probably drop them. But beating the 2 and 3 ranked teams in the same weekend deserves recognition. Plus, I think the zones need to be mixed up a bit more as there is clearly many teams from all regions capable of beating anyone. Now, pick me apart and tell me why I'm wrong as I'm sure you will.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:46 am

Did a bit more looking as I was unaware. Ainlay beat Oak Park by ten in tri prov final. Oak Park is currently ranked 2 in Manitoba 4A. Cardston beat Oak Bay out of Victoria by 1 who is currently ranked 4 in BC 4A. Nice wins for both teams. Not sure it can move Cardston up above Mcnally or Raymond though as they have losses to those two teams in recent weeks. This is just an exciting year. I get the feeling that there are really 7 or 8 teams that have the potential of beating anyone in the province. It will be fun to watch it play out these next few weeks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:02 am

Looks good Oleary is tough case since they beat Ainlay but lost bob and nd
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawkeye

PostSubject: A few thoughts   Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:38 am

I am from Medicine Hat so take this as you want. I think all high school athletes and teams are inconsistent as they are teenage kids with a hundred things on their mind other than Basketball. That being said it is hard to rank teams when they all keep beating each other. I think if you could have teams like HA and O'leary play with the commitment, determination and the ability to play your hole life with the same players like Cardston or Raymond you could have teams that would be something special. That being said as well what Cardston and Raymond do year after year is amazing. On the Med Hat discussion I see it was stated that they have some good players going through the program and good coaching, makes me think that's what makes a good team. What I don't believe is that there wins were upsets but instead their losses let downs caused by playing some bad basketball. The refs in Med Hat are bad I agree but I find they usually side with opposition more than the home team. But a bad ref can tick everyone off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:57 am

treyfactor wrote:

lol! I expected nothing less from you Trey.

Actually they are doing quite well on the road. Lost a good game to BOB in Oleary then ended up winning consolation by beating Holy Trinity (who by the way beat O'Leary a few nights ago).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:05 am

Yeah thanks for input I think med hat should take magrath place in hm also that holy trinity lose is part of the issue with Oleary and what makes it such a exciting year
Back to top Go down
View user profile
unregistered user

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:16 am

1. Ainlay
2. Raymond
3. BOB
4. Notre Dame
5. O leary
6. Cardston
7. Father Lacombe
8. Jasper Place