HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Second rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Updated my version of ranking (add North Calgary teams and significant win and loss from January only head to head and play with ranking or HM teams from first ranking. I probably missed some key games)

1. (1) HA (can not tell much lost OL but won their tournament, did not test by any teams from Calgary, still I think they good enough for first)
2. (5) BOB (win #2 OL, #3 Raymond, (HM) CCH lost (HM) ND)
3.(3) Raymond (win #10 BM, #7 LCI, #4 Cardston, (HM) ND, CCH and Magrath, lost #5 BOB)
4.(HM) ND (win #6 LBP (two times) #5 BOB, lost #3 Raymond, #4 Cardston, SWC)
5.(2) O'Leary (win #1 HA, lost #5 BOB, (HM) ND, (HM) HT)
6.(4) Cardston (win(HM) ND and Magrath, lost # 10 BM, #3 Raymond)
7.(7) LCI (win (HM) Foothiils, SWC lost #3 Raymond)
8. (NR) SWC (win #10 BM, #9 JP, #6 LBP, (HM) ND , lost #7 LCI)
9. (6) LBP (win #10 BM lost (HM) ND, SWC)
10. (10) BM (win #4 Cardston, (HM) CCH and HT lost #6 LBP, #3 Raymond, SWC, #2 OL)

HM - WC JP, FL, HT, CCH.

Last edited by NorthWest on Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:55 pm

unregistered user wrote:
1. Ainlay
2. Raymond
3. BOB
4. Notre Dame
5. O leary
6. Cardston
7. Father Lacombe
8. Jasper Place
9. Pearson
10. LCI

1-6 agree but why FL, JP 7 and 8. Did they beat any first ranking teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Ball456 wrote:
The second ranking will be tough with some parody all around. ND should move into a top ten spot in my opinion but no other HM team should be moving up. Maybe Pearson should move down to HM. not sure what to say about SWC. Someone was saying how good they are but with another loss to LCI and a loss to chestermere maybe best case for them is HM right now. What has Ross Shep done to stay in top ten? I see they won the 7th place game at Tri Prov. That's pretty good I suppose...maybe they should drop. I think unfortunately for the south all south teams will move down a bit. Cardston lost to Mcnally and then had an OT win over ND. Raymond also OT win over ND but then lost to BOB. LCI won a weaker western tournament and then comes out tonight and loses to unranked Med Hat. Honestly I don't get LCI at 7 anyway. As far as I know they have only beat two teams that are ranked in CCH and Foothills both of which are HM. Correct me if I'm wrong. They are a 10 at best in my opinion. Jasper Place wins tri prov consolation after a close loss to Raymond in the first round. Cardston got bronze at Luther. Hard to tell what competition it was but I'd imagine it was a decently tough tourney as per the norm. pretty tough to drop Ainlay after 1 loss to Oleary when Oleary lost to BOB the week before who then went on to lose to unranked Manning. But, I suppose that could also be an argument for Ainlay to drop. They lost to a team that lost to a team that lost to Manning. Haha I don't know it's a mess. But I'll take a stab and say something like this.

1. Ainlay (still the most consistently dominant team in my opinion)
2. BOB
3. O leary
4. Raymond
5. Mcnally
6. Cardston
7. Notre Dame
8. Jasper Place
9. Ross Shep
10. LCI

I put BOB ahead of O leary because of the head to head. I know that argument doesn't hold water, since O leary went and beat Ainlay. But, if I'm considering all that I know I'd still be betting on Ainlay although I think they're more beatable this year than the past two. BOB's loss is something to consider, but I think wins against Raymond and O leary carry more weight than one bad loss. If they had beaten Raymond and then come out and got stomped by Oleary and then added the loss to Manning I'd call the Raymond win a one off and probably drop them. But beating the 2 and 3 ranked teams in the same weekend deserves recognition. Plus, I think the zones need to be mixed up a bit more as there is clearly many teams from all regions capable of beating anyone. Now, pick me apart and tell me why I'm wrong as I'm sure you will.

Why Edmonton has 4 teams. Last couple weeks Calgary best teams were dominating in head to head. Tri-prov does not mean anything in Alberta ranking because no Calgary teams were presented there. It was Edmonton family party with presentation one team from South. Only O'Leary beat BM and twice lost to Calgary (ND and BOB). And this is second best team in Edmonton. Other teams were beaten in Calgary and Edmonton. JP lost SWC 20 plus points only two weeks ago, HT lost to BM, SF lost to BOB, ND and SF (Calgary). I asked this question and will ask again did RS win against any ranking or HM teams?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Only one for shep was magrath who will be dropping out of the hm list
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:55 pm

westwind Bball wrote:
Only one for shep was magrath who will be dropping out of the hm list

I am talking about this ranking period. That one was in Sugar Bowl. Right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:14 pm

That is right and at the shep tournament but none that I have heard this period
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:51 am

Games to Watch today in Calgary:

Lacombe @ Churchill
Pearson @ McNally
O'Byrne @ Mary's
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:00 pm

Another interesting night in Calgary competition. Calgary stays unpredictable. Biggest surprise of night O'Byrne losing to St Mary's. Other important results Pearson over McNnally 81-78. Lacombe the team with tons of talent all over Churchill 86-66 in Churchill gym. ND somehow plays to the level of its opponent. ND barely beat William Aberhart 57-63.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:40 pm

2 of the starters of bishop o'byrne didn't play
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:41 pm

1 is hurt the other one got benched
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:22 am

Pearson-McNally great match up any day. Last weekend Pearson beat McNally when McNally was full strength and one of key player for Pearson was out with an injury. That player for Pearson is back have no idea how fully recovered he is. Injuries are part of it and later stages of season all teams adjust to what they face. Pearson is a real deal...McNally might end up with 5th spot in North but they are a very tough team to beat especially in McNally gym. However O'Byrne has about 10 solid players but none of them really a game changer but they are very well coached team and this team is having success thanks to its coaching....not its depth like north teams have.

Top teams in Calgary at this point are:

1.ND
2.Pearson
3.Lacombe
4. BOB
5.Churchill
6.McNally
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballizlife619

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:08 pm

Nonsense...Lacombe is no doubt the #1 team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:37 pm

but they lost to pearson
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Lacombe 0-2 against Pearson. Lost as recently as last week.
Lacombe is a good team and playing great basketball recently. However that doesn't make them #1 in Calgary. You got to earn your spots likes of BOB, ND, and Pearson have exactly done that. These 3 teams have won at least one big tournament each and Lacombe has none so far.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:20 am

I strongly believe the top 3 in calgary are still ND, BOB and pearson
ND is a very good team but tend to play to the level of their oponents which can be a good thing and a bad thing they can beat a good team then the next night almost lose to one of the worst teams like aberhart. BOB same thing they have shown they could beat some of the best teams like o'leary, raymond, churchill etc.. while yet losing so not the weakest teams but just weaker such as marys and manning. Pearson idk they havent been winning as much important game like the start of the year but mainly because they havent played many good teams they beat lacombe and mcnally 2 times one week after another
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:11 am

McNally beat Lacombe 77-73
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:15 am

@Ball501
What are you going to say now FL just lost BM. I told you before and I am going to tell you again no #1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in North Calgary all teams very close playing very hard. That is just amazing to watch this kids battle. It is going to be very good year. No  the best team all  teams will battle to be City champion. I am not going to be surprised if all 4 teams in semifinals will be from North Calgary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:19 pm

NorthWest wrote:
@Ball501
What are you going to say now FL just lost BM. I told you before and I am going to tell you again no #1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 in North Calgary all teams very close playing very hard. That is just amazing to watch this kids battle. It is going to be very good year. No  the best team all  teams will battle to be City champion. I am not going to be surprised if all 4 teams in semifinals will be from North Calgary.

Laughing You are absolutely right NorthWest
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ballizlife619

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:23 pm

Correction **Pearson is the #1 team
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:00 pm

Anybody knows why second ranking not posted?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalgaryBaller2015

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:55 pm

No idea why no rankings, other tiers have theirs. Lacombe beat Pearson by 20 in the finals of the Notre Dame Tournament. That's two big wins for them this week and one close loss. The norh is so confusing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:43 pm

I just have seen second ranking. It is complete BS. Wow. These guys (rankers) are from other planet. But defiantly they are not from Alberta.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:52 pm

Second Ranking:

1 Harry Ainlay High Edmonton
2 Archbishop O'leary Edmonton
3 Raymond High South
4 Lester B. Pearson Calgary
5 Cardston High South
6 Notre Dame (Calgary) Calgary
7 Bishop O'Byrne Calgary
8 Lethbridge Collegiate Institute South
9 Jasper Place Edmonton
10 Bishop McNally Calgary
10 Ross Sheppard Edmonton
Honourable Mention Catholic Central High South
Honourable Mention Holy Trinity (Edmonton) Edmonton
Honourable Mention Medicine Hat High South
Honourable Mention Sir Winston Churchill
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheBiggerPicture

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:49 am

For me the order of teams 2 thru 10 after Ainlay are very difficult to pin down, so no real problem there. The one glaring issue is the omission of Father Lacombe, and perhaps SWC being an HM. I believe there is a tendency to have 4-5 teams from each zone represented in the top 15 -- matching the 4 odd provincial berths each zone receives depending on host and wildcard -- rather than truly ranking the top 15.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windex

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:08 am

A few things we know for sure.

Ainlay is getting better and deserves #1. . It will come down to Ainlay and O'Leary for Edmonton.

Pearson is overrated. Perhaps ND is as well. However it doesn't matter who gets ranked top out of Calgary there won't be a Calgary team playing in the prov final. We all know the best ball is played in Edmonton and the South.

For the south the only 2 teams worth talking about are Raymond and Cardston. If there's a third team to discuss its LCI. CCHS, MHHS, and Magrath are done. Stick an fork in them.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Today at 5:16 am

Back to top Go down

Second rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next