HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Second rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:47 am

I agree with the Edmonton top two rankings and feel Raymond, Cardston and LCI are right where they should be. A little confused by the Calgary rankings as well. Lacombe is far too good to be left off the list altogether and Churchill looked too low as well. Checking the mid February period results SWC had beaten Pearson, Jasper Place, McNally, and Notre Dame but were placed behind all of them?? Also BOB has been losing to just about everyone. Calgary probably should have had more teams higher or added to the list but that would throw off the even distribution of wild cards and that would probably hurt the Edmonton region so it was not done. Not really sure why we rank at all as Edmonton will always get their four berths and Calgary will get their four and the South will get their three. I guess if they didn't rank we would have nothing to discuss on this forum...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalgaryBaller2015

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:17 am

Lacombe should be Honourable Mention and why is BOB still so high? All of these rankings don't really mean anything but it is fun. Who has Ainley beat? I know they are very talented but who in Calgary have they beat? Wy does everyone just assume they are #1?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:28 am

Contrary to popular belief by a few posters here; there is actually basketball going on outside the centre of the universe of Calgary as well.  Ainley has earned their number one ranking based on a few factors. 1) they are defending provincial champs 2) they returned most of their team 3) they actually travel and play in a few consequential tournaments so that they are seen and play other teams than the same 4-5 teams all the time.  Are they vulnerable.. Yes we saw it with Oleary.
Rankings are there as a guide and to provide updates provincially wide of the progress of the season.
Last year a lot of teams from Calgary had amazing seasons beating other Calgary teams and looking unstoppable and forces to be reckoned with.  It came time for provincials and they fell flat.  Rankings are also there to help decide what zones get additional provincial berths.
Do you honestly think the provincial rankers are trying to hose your zone?  Do you think when the same 4-5 teams keep beating each other but don't play any of the other ranked teams that they should move up?  
There have been some pretty well thought out arguments on here; then there are some just yelping for teams to get noticed.  
Fact is this; Calgary is very competitive and great talent.  They truely need to invite some more Edmonton and south teams to their tournaments and goto a few more themselves.  Inviting 3A teams to tournaments all the time doesn't help the look on the provincial stage and beating up on each other doesn't prove any dominance.
I'm happy to see the passion from Calgary in terms of the competitive nature of the ball being played.  
I really can't see what the rankers could do much different than what they did. Props to them for looking at it rationally and logically.

Last edited by treyfactor on Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windex

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:37 am

Obviously you haven't watched Ainlay play if you are asking that question. For those who are informed fans of the game and have seen them several times there isn't another team that deserves the #1 right now more than them. Back to back defending prov champs. Lots of last years team back.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalgaryBaller2015

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:51 am

Totally makes sense. I havent had an opportunity to see them play this year at all, other than once online. That is the reason I asked. It wasn't an attack on the ranking, I was only curious. I don't think any Calgary team should be in the top two for sure as they all beat each other. It makes for a fun season to watch and who knows that happens later. Thanks for the information on Ainley.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windex

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:03 pm

Ainlay has done enough to prove they are not only #1 out of Edmonton but #1 in the province.  No debate.

Raymond has done enough to prove that they are not only #1 out of the South but also a Top 5 team in the province.  No debate.  They could come in anywhere from #3 to #5 and you won't find much complaining.

You can't pick a clear #1 out of Calgary because nobody is consistent enough.  So to rank any of those teams ahead of more consistent teams is tough.  People are trying to pluck one game out of Raymonds schedule, the loss to BOB, and say that it is the final judgment on them.  Anyone who was at that game knows they had BOB by 17 point at one time during the game.  A bad second half and BOB heating up squeaked out the win for them at the end.  Likewise you can't pluck one game out of Ainlay's schedule and say that is the final judgment on them.  Calgary folks are trying to crown their teams based on ONE victory or de-throne other teams based on ONE loss.  Not how rankings works.

What Calgary needs to do is establish a couple of premier tournaments and get top Edmonton teams and south teams into that mix.  Edmonton has a couple tourneys that do that and the south has Sugar Bowl in Raymond.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:50 pm

treyfactor wrote:
Contrary to popular belief by a few posters here; there is actually basketball going on outside the centre of the universe of Calgary as well.  Ainley has earned their number one ranking based on a few factors. 1) they are defending provincial champs 2) they returned most of their team 3) they actually travel and play in a few consequential tournaments so that they are seen and play other teams than the same 4-5 teams all the time.  Are they vulnerable.. Yes we saw it with Oleary.
Rankings are there as a guide and to provide updates provincially wide of the progress of the season.
Last year a lot of teams from Calgary had amazing seasons beating other Calgary teams and looking unstoppable and forces to be reckoned with.  It came time for provincials and they fell flat.  Rankings are also there to help decide what zones get additional provincial berths.
Do you honestly think the provincial rankers are trying to hose your zone?  Do you think when the same 4-5 teams keep beating each other but don't play any of the other ranked teams that they should move up?  
There have been some pretty well thought out arguments on here; then there are some just yelping for teams to get noticed.  
Fact is this; Calgary is very competitive and great talent.  They truely need to invite some more Edmonton and south teams to their tournaments and goto a few more themselves.  Inviting 3A teams to tournaments all the time doesn't help the look on the provincial stage and beating up on each other doesn't prove any dominance.
I'm happy to see the passion from Calgary in terms of the competitive nature of the ball being played.  
I really can't see what the rankers could do much different than what they did. Props to them for looking at it rationally and logically.

Thank you for telling us that OL, HT, SFX and JP are 3A teams. I think rankers has to know about this too and pull out these teams from 4a division. Very Happy

Last edited by NorthWest on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Not including this weekend's scores, I'd take SWC off the list, drop McNally to HM and replace with Father Lacombe. Notre Dame probably deserved their ranking but they rely too much on the break and shooting well from 3. They don't defend positionally very well and they had a hard time stopping opponents scorers. Beat Cochrane but couldn't contain their scorer. Lost to Pearson and couldn't contain their scorer. They are run and gun which doesn't usually mean big playoff wins.  Western needed a much better effort to get by Father Lacombe and just didn't match up well but they have some potential. They could be an HM too though and are certainly in the hunt for a provincial spot. BOB looked reasonable in their games this weekend but I"m not sure they have the athletes to play the style they did and win against the top 4A teams. They lost to Pearson who are simply just more athletic. They were fortunate to get by Cochrane who missed a 3 to win it at the end of the game and while they may be ranked 3rd in Calgary right now they need to change up their game plan if they want to qualify for provincials. I'd say Father Lacombe has got the best athletes I've seen in the province and ran 3 straight against good opponents but they are moody. A lot of potential to do well but could also tank when it means the most. The next 2 weeks are going to be interesting in Calgary. Since inter-zone play is basically done and Pearson lost this weekend to unranked/un-HM Father Lacombe, no matter what happens from here on, Calgary teams should not get ranked ahead of Raymond or Cardston in the provincials ranking.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
calgary-hoops

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:26 pm

[quote="treyfactor"]Contrary to popular belief by a few posters here; there is actually basketball going on outside the centre of the universe of Calgary as well.  Ainley has earned their number one ranking based on a few factors. 1) they are defending provincial champs 2) they returned most of their team 3) they actually travel and play in a few consequential tournaments so that they are seen and play other teams than the same 4-5 teams all the time.  Are they vulnerable.. Yes we saw it with Oleary.
I really can't see what the rankers could do much different than what they did. Props to them for looking at it rationally and logically.[/quote]

What are you talking about? Edmonton and southern teams are welcome to come to Calgary tournaments and tournaments like NDI, RIT and BOB are some of the best and strongest in the province every year. The only 3A teams at the RIT or NDI were Chestermere and Cochrane. Those aren't weak teams and have 2 of the best players in the province. If you use that logic, the south league has weak 3A teams in their league! Ridiculous argument.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NorthWest

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:36 pm

@windex and treyfactor

Two teams from Calgary beat the best team from Edmonton. OL currently on the top of the devision see http://www.telusplanet.net/public/metroedm/Basketball/bbstatsrboys.pdf
Questions?
And what HA did to earn #1? Lost to OL, did not play any teams in province last two months except Edmonton teams. Only BM lost to OL any other Edmonton teams from ranking lost to Calgary. #2 OL lost to #7BOB and #6 ND, #9 JP lost to HM SWC, BM beat HT.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:12 pm

There are no 3A teams in the 4A south league. Maybe in the past but not for a few years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:22 pm

I agree with you about Chestermere and Cochrane though. I'm not normally a big 3A fan but I've seen both play and they are very good teams with very good players and can beat any top 10 4A team on any given night. The downside is that neither look relatively all that deep. I don't know what their scores are like outside of the tournaments I've seen but Chestermere is 2 and Cochrane is 6 in 3A ranking. It surprises me they aren't 1-2. There must be a really strong group of 3A teams this year. Might be worth a side trip during provincials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windex

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Didn't think it would take that long for someone to say that 2 teams from Calgary beat O'Leary who is best from Edmonton. Give your heads a shake people. O'Leary is the best from Edmonton.

If that's your logic than Medicine Hat should be ranked #2 in the province because they beat Raymond on opening night.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
windex

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Correction

O'Leary ISN'T the best team from Edmonton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
2guard14

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:57 am

Nothing against Ainley, but am going out on a limb and betting they do NOT repeat as provincial champs. A lot of dark horse teams this year and my guess is Ainley falls to one of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Second rankings    Today at 3:15 am

Back to top Go down

Second rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4