HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Fri May 21, 2010 8:45 pm

Good points all...but my question was...what are baseball and hockey doing differently with their development programs...that with less kids playing, they are producing more elite players (see Grand Manan example :-) and are ranked much higher (7th and 1st) in the world than basketball and soccer? (19th and 63rd)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastprimetime

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Fri May 21, 2010 9:46 pm

The rankings are not necessarily an true indicator. The are not nearly as many countrys playing hockey and very few have been playing for any length of time. The cost of the game makes it very difficult for most countries to field as extensivea hockey prorgram as we do. As for baseball the pros are still not playing in the worlds so that removes a fiar number of top imports fro the south americian line-ups, this in itself would help our standings.
When we look at the number of countries that run basketball and run a pro league that permitts a player to make a living they out number both the other sports put together (I would think anyway).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Sun May 23, 2010 8:22 am

obcnamtaf wrote:
Good points all...but my question was...what are baseball and hockey doing differently with their development programs...that with less kids playing, they are producing more elite players (see Grand Manan example :-) and are ranked much higher (7th and 1st) in the world than basketball and soccer? (19th and 63rd)

I think the rankings would be skewed for a number of factors:

- If you look at the cultural expectation for hockey in this country regardless of the # of people playing minor hockey. Look at the numbers that play road, ball hockey, or support hockey in some fashion. The money that hockey makes, spends and generates compared to other sports in this country, the financing and expectation are higher. Also while the overall numbers may be lower than soccer or basketball, how many train to win athletes at a CIS, Junior, Pro Leagues, Senior Leagues, Minor Leagues are canadian hockey players playing in compared to the other sports. How many of those elite level opportunities do we offer here in Canada compared to other sports???

- Let's look at our numbers compared to other people's. While a higher number of Canadian kids may play soccer, look at dominant soccer countries. How many do they have playing? What percentage of their poptulation plays soccer compared to ours? My guess is if you look at the dominant soccer countries you will see a) They have higher percentages and population playing then we do. B) Most will come from places where training year round climate wise is more likely and elite level training is easier due to proximity (either in country or to opponents).

- Geography meets opportunity. How far do the best athletes in countries not Canada have to travel to meet and play? What is the cost to get our elite lebel players together and to go anywhere? If I'm Lithuania how far to my players need to travel to get together? How many other countries can I get to in the same span it would take a BC player to get to the east coast of Canadan? How many elite level opportunities exist in that same geographic area for me play and craft my skills? How many exist in Canada?

- I don't know enough about baseball to comment directly. I do know that Europe is not a baseball powerhouse, but that is where most of our high level basketball players end up finding a chance to play. So if our best baseball players can stay in Canada and the US to play against the best Canadians in the world, while our top basketball players need to go to europe and their opportunities to play their are limited compared to local and home grown talent. That would seem to help shift the balance. Combine that with the nature of baseball (individual skills over team tactics) it would be easier to become an elite level baseball player by training on your own, then other team sports. Meaning the travel factor is not as big in that sport.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:12 pm

Slam Dunk wrote:
Grand Manan where basketball is king???
Their minor baseball program may take exception. In recent years 5 islanders have played on a national championship team. 2 are currently playing baseball in CIS. 2 in NCAA and 9 have represented NB at national events. They just play basketball on the island while waiting for baseball season.

I don't think so. Basketball is king - however, GM has produces some great baseball players, no doubt. Both Johnson kids were drafted - Milwaukee & Baltimore, I believe. Also, the current coach of the boys team - had a tryout with the Pittsburgh Pirates class 'A' team (I believe) back in the early 80's. Anyway - lets just say GM has produced some decent athletes for such a small population. However - as far as popularity is concerned - basketball is KING. Some have suggested that with the new rink - that maybe the popularity will shift to hockey....only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Just an update regarding Jay Johnson.....guess he didn't sign with Baltimore - because he was just drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays - 786th overall.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Hardfouls wrote:
I know this is a little off topic but ....I think population is a huge factor. For the USA they can have a flawed system and still produce great players. The list of great players from the USA ruined by their youth development system is endless. For countries like Canada we don't have the luxury to make mistakes or turn players away.

Density of population also has a huge impact. Players in large cities are more apt to play against other great players more often. If you look at the "big four" at Nationals each year (ON, QC, AB, BC) you'll notice that they all have at least one major center with a million people.

Demographics is also very important. Atlantic Canada is full of people of Scottish, Irish and French decent. Not exactly the ideal gene pool to produce world class basketball players. If we had more Swedish, Dutch or Nigerian descendants things might be different.

But at the end of the day, its really all about the development system. The Dutch National team doesn't exactly strike fear in the hearts of the basketball world despite having a taller population. But one thing is certain, we can't copy the american development model. We need a model that accounts for the type of athlete we can produce in this country and addresses the challenges of having a relatively small population spread out across such a large country.

You are getting close....Dutch, Swedish? C'mon....lets call it for what it REALLY is. NB doesn't stand for New Brunswick - it stands for No Blacks...and therefore, no chance. Lets face it - the African-American has a superior body type to play basketball as well as other sports. Might be a racist comment, but is it not true??

Anybody watch the Canada Games last year? Quebecs starting five - all African -American. NS had a great tournament - their best player - African-American. NB just doesn't have the African-American population that other provinces have. However, one could argue that the Duke-Butler final had some 'white dudes' - but I would argue that is the exception, not the rule.

Some sports are just that way - do you honestly believe a caucasian male will EVER win the 100 Meter dash ever again?? NO CHANCE. NONE.

Sorry to tell the truth, AGAIN - but it is what it is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:35 am

If everyone from your small island thinks like you do I see a run on white sheets at the nearest Walmart very soon. What a way to turn back the social tide. Guess you don't watch any Isreali ball.

Now take a player. Any colour, or size. Throw them into a culture of basketball intensity. Add a little desperation associated with poverty, fear, or whatever. Deprive them of options like summer vacations, computer games or jobs that are slightly popular among their peers. Give that player the constant opportunity to play for their honour on courts populated with like desperate players. Now you have an environment that produces tough, seasoned edgy players.

Or find some kids that will not leave the gym. That have parents that devote summer or winter funds/time to getting to real competition. That have coaches that are not just parents looking for reflected glory. Real coaches that TEACH the game and INSPIRE the hunger.

This is where top players evolve from. The desperate hungry players that intimidate others when they walk on the court. Colour has nothing to do with that kind of heart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Sincerely Yours wrote:
If everyone from your small island thinks like you do I see a run on white sheets at the nearest Walmart very soon. What a way to turn back the social tide. Guess you don't watch any Isreali ball.

Now take a player. Any colour, or size. Throw them into a culture of basketball intensity. Add a little desperation associated with poverty, fear, or whatever. Deprive them of options like summer vacations, computer games or jobs that are slightly popular among their peers. Give that player the constant opportunity to play for their honour on courts populated with like desperate players. Now you have an environment that produces tough, seasoned edgy players.

Or find some kids that will not leave the gym. That have parents that devote summer or winter funds/time to getting to real competition. That have coaches that are not just parents looking for reflected glory. Real coaches that TEACH the game and INSPIRE the hunger.

This is where top players evolve from. The desperate hungry players that intimidate others when they walk on the court. Colour has nothing to do with that kind of heart.

Did you even read what I wrote?? I think YOU might need the white sheets, because I said the African-American is SUPERIOR, not inferior.
What don't you understand?

Yes - heart and determination has no colour, but if you tell me that race is not a factor, you are in huge denial. Are you telling me the African-American does not have a superior athletic body type???

Isreali ball?? Now that is funny....Isreal did not even qualify for the Worlds. Here - I'll help you with your argument - how about Greece, Lithuania or Spain?? Mostly 'white dudes'...and much better than Isreal.

Ok - you find kids that won't leave the gym. I'll take my players from the outdoor street courts of NY and Philly - and we'll see who has the tough, seasoned, edgy players...

How many caucasian basketball players were drafted in the first round in the NBA? And compare that to the number of African-Americans....no contest. So, are you telling me that young caucasian males are not hard working, desperate or hungry? Hmmmm...

Good luck with your fantasy football pool this year and your 'white' running backs - I'm sure you'll do well. Sorry, Craig James retired long ago....

Sorry, to tell the truth again. I'm not a racist. I have lots of white friends...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:29 pm

Stereotype propagation does us no favours.
So you do agree environment does factor into athletic development?
You can't even get beyond the NY/Philly stereotype? Ever hear of toronto?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:15 am

So in unrelated news to the genetic profiling of athletes . . . .

I recently heard that the new rules will be enforced as follows:

- Any ball screen/dribble hand off etc will be called as a violation but after a certain number teams will simply forfeit the match.

- Zones will be watched for by a group of tourney reps in the audience and have who will address it with the coaches as needed. Again after a series of warnings, match will be forfeit.

This is 3rd or 4th hand info by the time it gets to me but interesting none the less.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 pm

The email I got directly from CB is that ball screens will be a technical foul on the coach. Two techs of any type the coach is gone.

Here are some interesting scenarios I've seen this summer leading up to Nationals. These scenarios have happened several times this summer in addition to numerous times a player's instincts kicked in and they ball screened by mistake...

Two offensive players and 1 defensive player chasing after a long rebound. The first offensive player grabs the loose ball on the dead run just a fraction of a second before the defender and his momentum carries him towards the second offensive player. The second offensive player stops dead in his tracks to avoid crashing into his teammate. The defensive player was moving in the same direction as the first offensive player runs into second offensive player who is now standing still. Ball screen?

A PG gets offensive rebound in traffic. Instead of trying to force up a shot he immediately dribbles out of the key to reset the offense, however, his defender runs into another offensive who is still trying to get into offensive rebounding position. Ball screen?

Wing player passes to a guard above foul line then immediately cuts to rim to clear out the side of the court. The guard who received the original pass immediately dribble drives to rim behind the cutter. The cutter is denied (legally) near the edge of the lane and his now standing still. The defender on the guard who is driving to the basket bumps into the offensive player at the same time his cut is denied. Ball screen?

I don't know the answers but I'm afraid the refs will be asked to look at intent. That's never a good thing, especially when refs are asked to call this for the first time in their careers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.hardfouls.com
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:50 pm

Interesting stuff.

So 4 "ball" screens and the game is over. 2 techs = ejection for 1 coach. You are only allowed 2 coaches. Hmmmm maybe some of these little provinces should be working on some of these scenarios to try to catch the bigger provinces in some illegal action. jk.

I really do appreciate the attempt by CB to make adjusments to the rules to create the sort of play they want to see in a given age group, I just hope this doesn't become a nightmare scenario for someone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:58 pm

The problem is changing mid stream. If kids/refs/coaches started out playing these rules then they would be fine by the time they are U15. There will be growing pains for sure. I just wished that for this first year the penalty matched the crime. Ball screen should be a violation or personal foul. Not a tech on the coach.
Back to top Go down
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Back Around Again   Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:32 pm

I just found this old post again while doing a search.

We never got a lot feed back in regards to year one of this . . . Also in less then a couple of weeks we will be doing it all again with more modifications to rules.

As I understand it, ball screens are back in. Still no zone (though what is being defined as zone seems complicated and differently applied region to region). And again with 30-8. Any new thoughts. Old thoughts. Ponderings? Pontifications?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
obcnamtaf

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:15 am

anyone else having trouble to view the web cast of games from nationals? any tecchies out there who could tell us technologically challenged what to do ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pastprimetime

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 pm

Not a techie but I selected the BNB web sie, selected follow the national teams, selected the girls, selected watch live and it worked for both games. I did not try the boys
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

The girls links have been fine. If your go the watch live page for the boys they now have a link for the software you have to download to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:07 am

Probably not the results we were looking for this week. With three 9th place finishes and the u15 girls playing a game today to determine qn 8-9-10th place finish, this could be seen as a disappointing result. That being said when you look at it as a whole you've got mixed in there more then a half dozen games lost by less the 6 points, and half of those again lost by a single possession. The u15 girls for example were 2 buzzer beaters away from a trip to the medal round.

The other issue to keep in mind is that in most of these games NB got more shots up than hen their opponents and turned them over with greater or at least equal frequency that they were turned over. Unfortunately there were only a very few games all week that NB shot better then 30% from the floor.

If we shoot the ball at little better (30-35%+) every game we've probably got 4-6 more wins and some top 5 finishes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GM Breaker '84-'88

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:33 am

CoachDJR wrote:
Probably not the results we were looking for this week. With three 9th place finishes and the u15 girls playing a game today to determine qn 8-9-10th place finish, this could be seen as a disappointing result. That being said when you look at it as a whole you've got mixed in there more then a half dozen games lost by less the 6 points, and half of those again lost by a single possession. The u15 girls for example were 2 buzzer beaters away from a trip to the medal round.

The other issue to keep in mind is that in most of these games NB got more shots up than hen their opponents and turned them over with greater or at least equal frequency that they were turned over. Unfortunately there were only a very few games all week that NB shot better then 30% from the floor.

If we shoot the ball at little better (30-35%+) every game we've probably got 4-6 more wins and some top 5 finishes.

I'm not sure what you expected?? NB can beat PEI & the Territories...might get a win vs. NF now and then, and might steal one against Manitoba or Sask. once in a blue moon...but that is about it...6th if we get lucky, 9th, 10th - realistic. Yeah, NB got more shots off, because they missed more than anybody else....can anybody shoot in this province??? Under 30% is terrible....you are not gonna win many games doing that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sincerely Yours

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:24 am

9th place is not realistic for NB. I do think that 30% shooting is not adequate though. I also hate to disagree with Coach DJR but "two buzzer beaters away from the medals" is not good management. If you loose by 1 or 2 once then no big deal. If you loose by that margin consistently then maybe adjustments need to be made. Basiclly the ONT, QUE, BC, and NS are always going to challenge for medals. If you loose to all the other teams by a couple then they are about even. YOU have not found a way to improve. To Coach DJR I would suggest another stat that stands out to me and I think hinders our small province's small players. Minutes played shows that our coaches have never learned how or do not care how to use more than 6 players. The idea of playing/coaching 6 or 7 is not new and is acceptable when you are matched up with similar talented/sized teams. But when you have basically an allstar team from NB then you need to use ALL the players at a high level of energy to try to compensate for any shortcomings in size or talent. Tired legs shoot the ball often but they shoot low percentages. In the last 6 years I have watched some games and I think that some coaches may have not realized they need to think differently about this level of competition. Others may realize but their desire to play politics or fear to use kids they do not know has limited their use of the players. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hardfouls

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:55 am

Let's not start throwing provincial team coaches under the bus. How many minutes a player plays is a choice the coach must make based on a lot of factors and until we walk in that coaches shoes we can't say we wouldn't make the same choices on player rotations. Besides, our U15 boys played everyone every game (except for injured players) and still finished 9th.

From my perspective, the style of play we have here in New Brunswick does not properly prepare our athletes to complete at Nationals. Bottom line.

We all need to take ownership in changing...coaches...players...officials...administrators.

Back to top Go down
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:31 pm

Sincerely Yours wrote:
9th place is not realistic for NB. I do think that 30% shooting is not adequate though. I also hate to disagree with Coach DJR but "two buzzer beaters away from the medals" is not good management. If you loose by 1 or 2 once then no big deal. If you loose by that margin consistently then maybe adjustments need to be made. Basiclly the ONT, QUE, BC, and NS are always going to challenge for medals. If you loose to all the other teams by a couple then they are about even. YOU have not found a way to improve. To Coach DJR I would suggest another stat that stands out to me and I think hinders our small province's small players. Minutes played shows that our coaches have never learned how or do not care how to use more than 6 players. The idea of playing/coaching 6 or 7 is not new and is acceptable when you are matched up with similar talented/sized teams. But when you have basically an allstar team from NB then you need to use ALL the players at a high level of energy to try to compensate for any shortcomings in size or talent. Tired legs shoot the ball often but they shoot low percentages. In the last 6 years I have watched some games and I think that some coaches may have not realized they need to think differently about this level of competition. Others may realize but their desire to play politics or fear to use kids they do not know has limited their use of the players. What do you think?

Lots to respond to here:

- I agree 9th place is not the goal. I reasonably believe NB should be at least the 5-6 game every year and when it comes together in game for a medal.

- I'm not sure you can blame buzzer beaters on coaches particularly with 14-15 year old kids. Especially in the example I used with the u15 where in the b division every game was won by small margins (single digits) except NB over NFD in the qaulifying round, but NFd ended up beating NB later on as well NB beat the toba team that beat them in OVertime so lots of parity there. Everyone except NS split with everyone else. NB u17 women did lose games by larger margins but, shorthanded was a in one possession game with NS (who was in the bronze medal game) at SUmmerfest 1 weekend earlier. COaches do need to prep their kids and put them in a position to win, be held accountable during and after the fact. The kids play the games, coaches just need to prepare them for the game the best they can.

- I can't speak for every coach and didn't track the stats. I saw lots of kids being played in the games I watched. I know that I personally rolled 5 in 5 out most of the summer. I agree we need to play a fast paced style that trusts our depth in this province. Each team is unique though and built a little differently, I am also not privy to what goes on in every locker room or practice. PLaying time is also a tool coaches can use to motivate, reward, etc. Unless I'm in a position to understand the relationship of every player/coach it is not my place or anyone elses (IMO) to discuss who is playing and who is not as I have no idea about the reasoning. These are still young men and women, learning life lessons and playing basketball not pros being paid to play. I think style of play is also a determining factor in who coaches can and can't use (which is on the coach and BNB to establish) but also who the coaches have to work with.

- I can say sincerely that i have zero first hand knowledge of any coach in the BNB summer programs that is or is not playing kids for political reasons. I can also say I haven't seen or heard of kids being taken or not taken for political reasons. I agree that depth of talent is the key so long as a team is built to play that way, and the coaches involved are committed to a style of play that promotes pace and requires high energy.

- To be blunt I think BNB needs to be in games where we get as close to 100 possessions as possible. Make the other teams bigs get up and down the floor as many times as possible. Force turnovers and pace so that our shots are open in transition. We need to rely on activity, sprinting and player movement at each end rather then individual skills. We need to be willing to play 12 on 7-8 for 40 minutes of pace. Compete as hard as we can on the boards and defend to accelerate the game is not to get turnovers to make teams play the way we want rather then running their stuff. I also know that I am pretty confident in who I am as a coach, and don't let people's perceptions of me or us determine what we do rather then what I believe works for us. I would hope the same would be true of BNB's summer team coaches in general. I also know that I am at the far end of the spectrum in terms of my willingness to accept turnovers, rushed shots , and having kids learn through playing through mistakes in the name of establishing pace and style of play. I know that a lot of coaches (who are a lot better then me) can get the same results in different ways or by controlling more of this then I do.

This could be a great conversation to have if we continue to focus on what we want rather then what/who we see as at fault.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
nbsportfan

PostSubject: lets not point the blame   Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:50 pm

"This could be a great conversation to have if we continue to focus on what we want rather then what/who we see as at fault"

fair enough, being a coach is tough.

Here is what i think we want, to be competitive against our contemporaries. NS, NFLD, PEI, Man, and sask are all close enough to our poulation for us to be really competitive, and dare i say for us to be better (why not?)

Lets take a look at their programs.... Seems that they recruit athletes and turn them into ball players. They dont just look for height, but look at the balance of size and athletic ability.

They really focus on what makes other teams sucessfull, which includes strong defense.

Does shot selection and offensive patience not have a lot to do with shooting percentage? I think that NB has players that are capable of shooting more than 30% as a team(as was quoted earlier).

also, good defence can lead to easy shots, lets build this capability on our programs early.

Bottom line, we are not athletically disadvantaged, we can be in the top 4 or 5, something that has been prven in previous years. But we will need to be willing to change and to learn from other programs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
poolie

PostSubject: Playing your whole bench   Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:57 pm

I agree with coach, I think that when BNB picks these summer teams they should have enough talent to play two sets of lines. Play at a very high tempo and in your face D. There is a reason why they pick twelve kids. Who cares if you foul out being agressive, lots of kids on the bench. We tend to overplay our top 6 or 7, I have done it myself and seen it done this past summer. From what I heard the U15D coach from this past summer is totally on the right track.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CoachDJR

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:35 am

nbsportfan wrote:
"This could be a great conversation to have if we continue to focus on what we want rather then what/who we see as at fault"

fair enough, being a coach is tough.

Here is what i think we want, to be competitive against our contemporaries. NS, NFLD, PEI, Man, and sask are all close enough to our poulation for us to be really competitive, and dare i say for us to be better (why not?)

Lets take a look at their programs.... Seems that they recruit athletes and turn them into ball players. They dont just look for height, but look at the balance of size and athletic ability.

They really focus on what makes other teams sucessfull, which includes strong defense.

Does shot selection and offensive patience not have a lot to do with shooting percentage? I think that NB has players that are capable of shooting more than 30% as a team(as was quoted earlier).

also, good defence can lead to easy shots, lets build this capability on our programs early.

Bottom line, we are not athletically disadvantaged, we can be in the top 4 or 5, something that has been prven in previous years. But we will need to be willing to change and to learn from other programs.

I'm going to disagree with some statements here. Not that they are wrong on the face, but I'm not sure that the info we have and reality of situation supports them.

We are not all that close population wise to these other provinces, but more importantly we are not as close in the length of athlete to those provinces. We are phsyically bigger than Yukon and PEI and that is about it. There is a unique group on the boys side right now travelling through the provincial team programs that has much better height then we normally have. Most of our issues 5 on 5 aren't skills issues alone but the ability to execute those skills against longer, athletic defense. 1 on 0 or vs. equal sized defenders at range we have the finishing and shooting skills set required. We don't have the range, release point or footwork/strength or balance to score as effectively against better/longer D. Therefore to shoot a better percentage you need to either play at a pace to get more open looks and improve our offensive fundamentals to get beyond what works here to what is going to work in every/most situations.

There is an insiuation in there that NB doesn't focus on defense ,and I don't think the stats back that up. If you look at the stats this years, or previous years that provincial team coaches took this just doesn't jive. WHen you look at the statistical breakdown (eliminating outliers ie. games where teams played NWT or the Champs) vs. group. Defensively NB is in the top 3 in the tournament generally. What kills us is a poor shooting percentage (unable to finish inside vs length and shooting rushed or longer range shots to length and athleticism of offense) and extra possesions we struggle to not turnover the ball at that pace and hold our own on the glass in a more physical game vs larger opponents.

I understand what your saying about looking outward to see what other places do. I think its a little defeatist to build our teams in a way that allows us to beat teams at our level but not have a game plan that will work vs the best. We see that all the time in our province with teams using tactics that help them win in their division or age group, but those skills kids are learning (or not learning) don't translate. I think you can have a system/ style of play that will allow you to beat those teams and give your self a punchers (shooters?) chance against the very best in the country. We just need the skill set to back it up.

We also need to be aware that we have advantages in this province that other places don't. If we can get committed skilled athletes we can get them together longer and more often than other geopgraphically/population larger provinces can (granted its on the dime of the families invovled). The issue that I think most coaches find is they struggle with the disconnect between what the provincial programs are trying to do or not do, and what works for their programs locally. Getting kids to play at pace is great, but if its going to cost their local high school or middle school team wins then they'll probably play another way. Teaching tall mini and middle school girls to handle the ball and shoot it is great for them, but the best chance their coaches/teaamtes have of winning is if we stick them at the rim and let an undersized early developed kid handle the ball. If we make sure we back off people and let them shoot it will win you a lot of games at most levels in this province and look like you are playing good defense. That doesn't translate into footwork for a contest/closeout at higher levels though. I'm not trying to criticze coaches who are doing what they feel is in the best interest of their kids, but as a province we need to start seeing all basketball players and the game itself as our responsibilty not just our own 9-12 bodies.

Last edited by CoachDJR on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes   Today at 9:06 am

Back to top Go down

U15 CHampionships and Rule Changes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next