HoopLife Forums

The opportunity to talk about issues affecting Canadian basketball from coast-to-coast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Final Rankings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ball501

PostSubject: Final Rankings   Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:51 pm

Final rankings due on Monday Feb 29th. Not much movement expected except Pearson might grab 3rd spot or even 2nd.

I know Calgary teams quite well.  How ever my lack of knowledge about rest of teams if is going to upset someone my apologies in advance.

LBP last night by beating Churchill secured  first place in North Calgary the most competitive div in province. They are pretty deep on most spots but lately  are struggling from 3 point line. Lacombe should be ranked in top 10 as well they had pretty impressive wins after losing to McNally. BOB despite few soft outings are a strong contender. St Mary's might surprise teams in playoffs they just added Ben Kapinga a solid two way guard. His experience playing in USA for last couple of years can be a difference maker in close games. ND may have peaked and other teams are adjusting to their style.
My top 15

1. Ainly
2--4 Pearson, O Leary, and Raymond in any order
5-7 BOB, Cardston, and Lacombe in any order
8-10 LCI, McNally, Notre Dame in any order
11-15 Calgary Churchill, Jasper Place, St Mary's, Foothills and Ross Shepp

Last edited by Ball501 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:58 pm

I would put CCH over Shepp but that looks about right unless Ainlay loses metro tournament then I don't know
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:05 am

There is zero chance Pearson will be ranked ahead of Raymond. Or even Cranston for that matter. Maybe LCI but I even doubt that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:46 pm

thetruth2 wrote:
There is zero chance Pearson will be ranked ahead of Raymond. Or even Cranston for that matter. Maybe LCI but I even doubt that.

Too bad Pearson and South teams did not play each other in any of tournaments. However BOB and McNally two teams beat Raymond and Cardston in Bobcat Bowl. Pearson has a winning record against both of them 1-0 and 3-1. Even though it is not same as playing against eachother, this is only way I can judge these teams and Pearson comes on top against both Cardston and Raymond.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
thetruth2

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:51 pm

Didn't Pearson just lose to then unranked Notre Dame?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:13 pm

thetruth2 wrote:
Didn't Pearson just lose to then unranked Notre Dame?

Pearson beat ND by double digit in ND gym just last Week and overall 2-2. Pearson has a winning record against every other Calgary team they played.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:15 am

Cardston beat Raymond 101 to 99 last night
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:39 pm

Was a great game between Raymond and Cardston. Raymond did not lose to Mcnally; they beat them twice as well as Notre dame once and lost to BOB. WE know BALL501 you think Lester B is the greatest team ever; but provincials will allow that to play out. Calgary is very competitive and should be interesting t say the least.
Zones should also prove to be a battle through Calgary and the South. There wont be a whole lot of movement but still gonna be fun watching down the stretch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:36 pm

ME Lazerte just beat JP tonight and Holy Trinity beat Shep. JP and Shep were likely over-ranked all year, but this could make the final rankings very interesting....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aball

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:53 am

Explained that in an earlier post. Having watched Edmonton play all year it is obvious that they have two top teams and then they become very average. They have been over ranked all year but that will not change as Edmonton will want their normal wild card berths so the rankers will make it all work out evenly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalgaryBaller2015

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Tonight is a HUGE night for Calgary Basketball. The last night of regular season with a lot on the line. 2-5 are up for grabs in the North and 1-5 in the South.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:33 pm

CalgaryBaller2015 wrote:
Tonight is a HUGE night for Calgary Basketball.  The last night of regular season with a lot on the line.  2-5 are up for grabs in the North and 1-5 in the South.  

Three key match up tonight:

O' Byrne vs St Mary's (BOB by close to 10)
Earnest Manning vs Western (EM by close to 10)
Father Lacombe vs Notre Dame (FL by 5)

Whoever wins 2nd in North has easier path in playoffs.

I would expect following to be standings:
North
1. Pearson (versing Bowness and should finish with 9-1)
2. Lacombe (should finish 8-2) will drop to 5th if lose to ND
3. Churchill
4. Notre Dame
5. McNally
6. St Francis

South
1. Manning (8-2 they have advantage over BOB thanks to 18 points win)
2. O' Byrne (8-2)
3. Scarlet (7-3) (holds advantage over SM)
4. St Mary's (7-3)
5. Western (6-4)
6 Centennial(5-5)

Manning has surprised many by being on top of standing in South Calgary. This is one of the team I totally misjudged. They might be worthy of rankings or at least HM.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheTruthofTheSouth

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:12 pm

nd beat lacombe tho
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:04 am

so updates on calgary scores? we are all just sitting on the edge of our seats waiting to see what happened in the most competitive division in the history of high school basketball.

Interesting night in the south last night. LCI got by Cardston for the second time in a couple weeks. The south is wide open. Cardston beats Raymond in their gym but that is sandwiched by two losses to LCI. Med Hat plays Cardston and Raymond this weekend. If they can pull off a couple of upsets it could really shake things up in the south standings going into playoffs. I said before I thought LCI was over ranked at 7, but they've shown strong these last few weeks. They played quite well last night against a not so stellar performance by Cardston. For my money, Raymond and Cardston are still the favorites heading into south zone playoffs but LCI could certainly make some noise in zones. I wouldn't count Med Hat or CCH out at this point either. Zones is a different ball game. I am going to make the bold prediction that between Cardston, Raymond, and LCI, only two of those teams will make provincials. You heard it here first, someone will fall in an upset! Now, let's just all pray its Raymond!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:49 am

So when I looked at south hoops I saw on Raymond that dewsbery didn't score against Winston bad score keeping is he hurt or really go for 0 same with Merrill for cardston last night
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:27 pm

Not in the Cardston camp so don't know specifics but it looked like the Merril kid got hurt in the first half. Not sure about dewsberry. That would be a big loss for Raymond. Their top 3 guards are great but it falls pretty quick after that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Southfan

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:37 pm

barring any injuries to key players. Raymond, LCI and Cardston will all go to provincials!
It takes 2 bad games not to go and these programs are too competitive and well coached to loss 2 in zones.
Yes, 1 bad game could cost one the zone title or chance to play for it but not a provincial birth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:41 pm

I wanna agree with you southfan, and its more likely that you'll be right than me. as a south fan in general I'd like to see those 3 get in simply to have a strong south representation. If CCH or Med hat gets in I don't see them going as far as the other 3, but ya just never know. Upsets and unpredictability have made this season both frustrating and enjoyable at the same time. Here's the scenario I see an upset happening in. A team that loses a very close semi final game could be in danger the next night. It's not unheard of for a team to come out and not be at their best after a let down game. Is it probable? No, but possible? definitely. Med Hat beat Raymond early on, CCH has been competitive in games with top teams. Neither are getting blown away by any means. It doesn't take much to swing a game ten points a different way.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:53 pm

Lacombe loss to ND last night was definitely an upset and that puts Lacombe 5th in North Calgary and instead of a bye they have to face St Mary's for seeding round game.

Lacombe is a very unique case in Calgary. Very athletic and talented....however very arrogant, no sportsmanship, no respect for opposition and refs. This coach probably hurting these kids chances of playing Post Secondary by developing winning at any cost attitude. ND is not much different either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball456

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:22 pm

Ball501 wrote:
Lacombe loss to ND last night was definitely an upset and that puts Lacombe 5th in North Calgary and instead of a bye they have to face St Mary's for seeding round game.

Lacombe is a very unique case in Calgary. Very athletic and talented....however very arrogant, no sportsmanship, no respect for opposition and refs. This coach probably hurting these kids chances of playing Post Secondary by developing winning at any cost attitude. ND is not much different either.

Honestly I have a hard time agreeing that ND beating Lacombe is an upset. I've seen this team play a few times over the last few years. They may have good athletes but year after year they aren't a 'team' and don't have any respect for opponents or officials. Should they beat ND? ya maybe they should but I'm not the least bit surprised that they didn't. Don't know if it's coaching or what but it's not surprising to me at all that they don't win games that maybe they should.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ball501

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:00 pm

@Ball456
Your view is more accurate than my last posting about Lacombe loss. Win by ND shouldn't be regarded as an upset. That definitely takes out Lacombe for Provincial rankings. If Lacombe wins a game or two in playoffs it will be hurt Lacombe for long term. They need a change in coaching staff to succeed and provide the right guidance to these student athletes. That won't happen without an early exit from playoffs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hawkeye

PostSubject: The south    Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:20 pm

So Lci, Cardston and Raymond come out of the South, interesting. I believe the south is as open as it sounds in calgary. Right now I think Raymond has earned that top spot. From what I see those top 5 teams in the south can all beat each other. I see Med hat trending up. Although they lost to Cardston in a close with several players very sick with flu. They are probably the deepest team putting it together at the right time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
treyfactor

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:44 pm

Here they are:

Final Rankings
1 Harry Ainlay Edmonton
2 Archbishop O'Leary Edmonton
3 Raymond South
4 Lester B. Pearson Calgary
5 Lethbridge Collegiate Institute South
6 Bishop O'Byrne Calgary
6 Cardston South
8 Sir Winston Churchill Calgary
9 Notre Dame (Calgary) Calgary
10 Holy Trinity (Edmonton) Edmonton
Honourable Mention Bishop McNally Calgary
Honourable Mention Catholic Central South
Honourable Mention Jasper Place Edmonton
Honourable Mention M.E. Lazerte Edmonton
Honourable Mention Medicine Hat South
Back to top Go down
View user profile
westwind Bball

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Who has lazerte beat to be ranked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hoopsab

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:35 am

westwind Bball wrote:
Who has lazerte beat to be ranked

MEL beat JP by 11 in Edmonton Metro 1/4 finals....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Rankings   Today at 3:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Final Rankings
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next